Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Loses Tiny Ship Worth Over $6,000

KassinaKassina Member UncommonPosts: 29

As title say, poor guy :)

Record breaking lol

Quote:

"Today's kill may be the largest confirmed kill of any ship in EVE's history and could even be the most expensive character death in any MMO to date."

Player Who Lost stewie Zanjoahir:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=14947130

You guys can read here:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/22/eve-online-player-loses-tiny-ship-worth-over-6-000/

Comments

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    That's the kind of thing that would make me uninstall the game, go outside, and cry.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Ahh Shucks, I'll buy him a Beer.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    This is why darkfall needs to have local banking. This is gold. 
  • mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119
    EVE is greate but sometimes, i just like to play regular mmo, in which deaths don't mean anything.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Im pretty sure you have lost touch with reality, common sense, priorities, self worth, and the existance of gaming as a recreational hobby all in one statement.

You cant possibly believe its "golden" for a human being to have invested and lost 6k in a computer game.  If so then you have solidified my first sentence.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177
    These kinds of things are what have made me play EVE for 3 years now haha. It gets pretty stressful when a ship you spent the last 2 days saving up to buy is in danger of being destroyed. you start getting nervous and going oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck haha. Its not for everyone but the adrenaline rush during pvp is second to none.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Im pretty sure you have lost touch with reality, common sense, priorities, self worth, and the existance of gaming as a recreational hobby all in one statement.

You cant possibly believe its "golden" for a human being to have invested and lost 6k in a computer game.  If so then you have solidified my first sentence.

Best gaming memories are made with high highs, or low lows. In this case both the winners and loser of the loot have some pretty vivid memories.  Not to mention all future and potential and current players who hear this story.  Questioning my morality is harsh. 

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    No sympathy. What did he think would happen? If the value of the ship was that important, why didn't he sell it?
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by VideoJockey
    No sympathy. What did he think would happen? If the value of the ship was that important, why didn't he sell it?

It wasn't the value of the ship,it was the cargo that was so valuable.

He tried to transport a cargo full of expensive blue prints through null sec using a cheap and fast frigate probably thinking that nobody would consider him valuable therefore having a higher chance to pass.It didn't happen.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Things like this pop up every so often with Eve.  It's a game where a lot of it comes down to risk and reward.  This time the risk obvisouly out weighed the reward.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Best gaming memories are made with high highs, or low lows. In this case both the winners and loser of the loot have some pretty vivid memories.  Not to mention all future and potential and current players who hear this story.  Questioning my morality is harsh. 

It's really no difference then thinking some guy going to Vegas and losing 6k is somehow golden.  Pity, and a little bit of compassion for someone who obviously has some self control issues seems a little more in order here.  I have to question anyone's wiring who thinks another persons lose is somehow cool.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Aren't there gate camps that will kill you regardless what you fly? Possibly T2 Frig or BS wouldn't have made a difference.

Everyone in EvE would refer to this as "jackpot". No sympathy from that community.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Huh?  He didn't spend 6k on the game he lost 213,000,000,000 isk which is estimated to be able to buy about 6k worth of eve plex (gametime).  So, I don't really see the morality issue over saying a game is good because you can lose a large chunk of in game currency (that also has some monetary value) if you take the risk of transporting that much value in one trip through a ffa pvp area.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    I shouldn't find this funny, but I do...

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

It's really no difference then thinking some guy going to Vegas and losing 6k is somehow golden.  Pity, and a little bit of compassion for someone who obviously has some self control issues seems a little more in order here.  I have to question anyone's wiring who thinks another persons lose is somehow cool.

If someone went to vegas and lost 10k in wow gold (which is basically what happened in the article, he did not lose 6 thousand dollars) then you would be more on par with the analogy.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Any reason he didnt have nano internals or whatever the equivilant T2 version is, so he could align faster?

I mean in a way I understand the Atron, its not as conspicuous as a T2 'cepter...but still.

Ohh yeah....

AHAHAHAHA!!!!

I bet those tears are the sweetest nectar those three have ever tasted.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• robgyorgyrobgyorgy Member Posts: 105
    6k$? far from 10k english pounds(15k$ about) this was back in 2002. it was a very rare sword in a game i played lol
  • CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89

He didnt spend 6k real money on the game, if he did it would have been sad, but this is not the case. He didnt loose real money at all. The real money value was just calculated for the article so that people could understand that this was a big "ingame" loss. If he wanted to, he could have sold those items that he lost for the same amount of ISK that someone could have bought playtime for with real money, but he could in no way shape or form (legally that is) sell those items for real money, so he didnt loose shit.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    how's it even possible to have that that much worth?   and why transport it?  I don't play eve so this probably sounds noobish.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

wow did you read all the stuff in the cargo bay, what kind of idiot carries all that in his cargo bay.  Talk abut getting caught with your pants down.

You know what they say in even never fly what you cant replace.  I wonder if my death back in october of 2008 got regestered, was in navula killing rats and got jumped by some of the local slime and got poded, and lost a raven in the process not a fun day.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Krashner
    That's the kind of thing that would make me uninstall the game, go outside, and cry.

^^^This^^^

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    how's it even possible to have that that much worth?   and why transport it?  I don't play eve so this probably sounds noobish.

He was in zero sec, basically an area where tens of thousands of players battle for control of territory and resourses. Its far from any NPC space stations. There are player stations but if an enemy takes it over you dont have access to anything youve left there.

So my guess is he was trying to get his shit out and got capped at a bubbled gate camp. That is a very fast ship thats hard to target.

It was a good plan, that is till it failed.  LOL

Edit.

And those are blueprints. You cant build anything in EVE without one. And you can research that blueprint so you can make the item for less materials and in less time. So the value was probably even higher that what is listed.

Its not like the crafting in most MMO's, its closer to true production.

Edit x2

Maybe I should explaine value a little better.

The first item on the list is an Armageddon "battleship" blueprint, so I'll use that. Im going to use rounded numbers as it simplifies things.

Lets say a built 'Geddon BS (Armageddon battleship) sells for 100M isk. And a player says "I want to make an sell those".

He has to purchase a BP (blueprint), and lets say that costs 800M. So in theory it would take 8 sales to break even. Remember EVE players, this is simplified.

NOT!

Because in reality it will cost 70M in materials, so its closer to 27 sales to just break even.

So a person can research "material effiency" to reduce the amount of materials it takes to produce one 'Geddon BS which raises the 800M base value of that BP.

So in the end Im sure the value of what he lost was actually about 15%-20% higher.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Originally posted by VideoJockey

Ah it's not the ship itself that was so valuable but rather his cargo.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• neosapienceneosapience Member Posts: 164
    Virtual items are worth nothing. It doesn't matter how much 'work' you put into something inside a game. Anything that's 'lost' can be recreated by anyone with server-side access in a matter of minutes. Games aren't real, and people should consider that when they're playing them.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    The player has claimed on the forums the he got all of his stuff back, due to his account having been hacked.  Take that for what it's worth, but it would make sense why "he" would have run  through nullsec with a crap ship and a ton of blueprints.

You make me like charity