Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Elder Scrolls Online: The Comprehensive Preview

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    It's hard for me to take this game or the developers seriously when they say things like "it's impossible" in regards to creating an open world game, or that members from their team have all but said they have no problem catering to the themepark necessity all MMO's seem to think they're forced to design under. Some of the features sound like they're starting to head in the right direction, and I think it's pretty obvious that they're doing everything they can to distance themselves from the initial response that the first leak of information regarding TES had stirred. Hopefully for them, they'll continue listening to the feedback from those of the fans who weren't thrilled about what they were doing to the series.

Show me where the Devssaid it was impossible to create an open world?  You're either misinformed (like so many other posters in this thread) or  making things up!

The Devs stated that certain features were not optimal in an MMO setting and this is the truth. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    It's hard for me to take this game or the developers seriously when they say things like "it's impossible" in regards to creating an open world game, or that members from their team have all but said they have no problem catering to the themepark necessity all MMO's seem to think they're forced to design under. Some of the features sound like they're starting to head in the right direction, and I think it's pretty obvious that they're doing everything they can to distance themselves from the initial response that the first leak of information regarding TES had stirred. Hopefully for them, they'll continue listening to the feedback from those of the fans who weren't thrilled about what they were doing to the series.

Show me where the Devssaid it was impossible to create an open world?  You're either misinformed (like so many other posters in this thread) or  making things up!

The Devs stated that certain features were not optimal in an MMO setting and this is the truth. 

I think you're missing the point, but you're right: the "we can't do it" attitude has certainly been exaggerated. I apologize for my fault in that, but it isn't true that certain features aren't optimal for an MMO setting. They may not be optimal for their budget or management, that may not be fallacious.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Ackbar
    Classes? Me no likey classes.

Good thing classes dont mean much in this game, other then 6 skills you can use.  The real beauty of this system is that any class can wear any armor and use any weapon and the skills you do get can be used in such a way as no 2 will be the same. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by winter

5) Hotbars? Really Skyrim did great without them but MMO ESO must have tyhem because well its a MMo and all MMO's must have hotbars right?

Skyrim has hotbar too, it's that little quick-list of spells that you can use to quickly swap spells/items. I never understood in Skyrim why introduce a clumsy quick list as their version of hotbar, simply having the bar with visual icons is just superior and and does the exactly same job, but just plain better in every imaginable way. I'd actually love to see a mod for the PC Skyrim that turns that clumsy list into a clear visual hotbar.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by winter

5) Hotbars? Really Skyrim did great without them but MMO ESO must have tyhem because well its a MMo and all MMO's must have hotbars right?

Skyrim has hotbar too, it's that little quick-list of spells that you can use to quickly swap spells/items. I never understood in Skyrim why introduce a clumsy quick list as their version of hotbar, simply having the bar with visual icons is just superior and and does the exactly same job, but just plain better in every imaginable way. I'd actually love to see a mod for the PC Skyrim that turns that clumsy list into a clear visual hotbar.

i like the "hotbar" in Skyrim.  i dont need to see it on my screen.  i just have to know which spells are keybound to what.  i hope the UI for this game is very minimalist.  alot of games nowadays are too cluttered,  i want to be able to see whats going on.  that can be hard to do when my screen is full of icons and minimaps. 

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

Skyrim's hotkeys and Favorites window was awful.

I think you could only bind 1-8 or something, and you couldn't bind a button to dual-wield consistently? And the favorites window got cluttered quickly if you were a spellcaster.

I don't need to see the buttons on my screen, but I do need more than a handful of hotkeys.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    This looks very very good, and thanks for a nice read.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It's been around for a long time. I don't know why we call it phasing. LotRO "invented it" and just called it instancing.

A bit of correction: Funcom invented "instancing" in 2001 for their mmo Anarchy Online. They created the tech to use for their random mission generators ( mission terminals ) and it went on from there.

I'm talking about the idea of having the world change partially based on instancing people away from one another. Such as, in Archet.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Hey listen, I know this site is known for its sandbox fanbois and hating on anything that seems popular but can we please cut the crap with the hate before it turns others off.  Contrary to what you might believe, the written word has alot of power both for good and for bad and there are alot of players who may come across as jaded, uninformed, and outright anti-"whatever hate your spewing", when at one time they were either on the fence or had no knowledge of the game.  Not to mention this hate has the power to convey wrong messages and creates animosity amongst the readers.

Please if you dont like it, say your peace and move on, some of us actually liek the game and for every negative thread I see I have this uncanny knack to prve you wrong and that also isnt healthy.  Let the fans decide how this game comes across.  No one likes a critic!

Go to the games official forums if you want sunshine and rainbows. These forums are for everyone, hater and fanboi alike.

QFT

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I think you're missing the point, but you're right: the "we can't do it" attitude has certainly been exaggerated. I apologize for my fault in that, but it isn't true that certain features aren't optimal for an MMO setting. They may not be optimal for their budget or management, that may not be fallacious.

To be fair the devs are quoted as saying real-time combat like Skyrim in an MMORPG is "impossible."

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Im sorry but unless they radically changed its design im out. I remember when they said housing, action combat, and class less design wasnt "possible" in mmos. If RIFT a themepark mmo can do housing then you can aswell. And with the restrictions on races to me and my friends are gonna be all over the place. The biggest thing holding me back in this game is how the races are restricted to certain factions. Most of ym guild is gonna play the nords and argonians while i wanna be bosmer see the conflict?

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by ste2000

What a mess.

Sorry but this article not only didn't made me change my mind but confirmed all my fears.

This is going to be another of those 1 month wonder themeparks. Not good enough.

-SWTOR story system? No thanks

-GW2 Quest system? No thanks

-Phasing? No thanks

-MegaServer plus Facebook, Google+ and all that plastic Social features? No thanks

-Switching Classes at will? No thanks (forgot what is an RPG, Zenimax/Bethesda?)

-Any hint of a Sandbox feature? Not even one.

But the real questions are:

1- Is crafting focal to this game like in every TES?

2- Is the combat in First person or at least a close third person (character can't see behind his back) like in every TES?

3- Personal Storyline is secondary to Exploration like in every TES? ( Storyline has never been important in TES, sorry to tell you that Bill, you are confusing TES with Dragon Age)

4- Are you free to play the game the way you want it, like in every TES?

The answers to those question so far is a big NO, so to me not only this is not going to be a good TES game, but another boring and shallow Themepark.

This game has nothing new to bring to the MMO industry while at the same time it has the power to kill the TES IP.

Zenimax should do the same as SoE did (with EQnext) scrapping this game and rebuild it to be a real TES game with "some" sandbox features, or it will fail badly.

Summed up a lot of my thoughts on TESO.

Same here. I gotta wait til i can actually try it before i even consider getting it.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Layered zones with a player cap and overflow is a terrible idea in an MMO imo. I want to be in one big seamless virtual world with other players. Not segmeneted in blocks of instance zoning. Ugh. Was sounding good until I hit that bit of information.

I do like the idea of bringing social media into an MMO. Seems like this feature is long overdo. 

Not crazy about the jack of all trades class system either. So basically everyone can be everything. Blah.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    OH GOD NOT AGAIN.  I'M SUPER EXCITED ABOUT A GAME THAT IS MONTHS AND MONTHS AWAY.  WHY GOD? WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!!
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    OH GOD NOT AGAIN.  I'M SUPER EXCITED ABOUT A GAME THAT IS MONTHS AND MONTHS AWAY.  WHY GOD? WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!!

Aww, now now. We have a saying in Germany "Pre-Happyness is the best happyness" (Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude.) ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by ste2000

What a mess.

Sorry but this article not only didn't made me change my mind but confirmed all my fears.

This is going to be another of those 1 month wonder themeparks. Not good enough.

-SWTOR story system? No thanks

-GW2 Quest system? No thanks

-Phasing? No thanks

-MegaServer plus Facebook, Google+ and all that plastic Social features? No thanks

-Switching Classes at will? No thanks (forgot what is an RPG, Zenimax/Bethesda?)

-Any hint of a Sandbox feature? Not even one.

You sound like someone who was going to dislike it regardless of an article. No amount of words or previes can change your mind unfortunately. The next thing you do after blatantly admitting that you don't like the game to begin with, you start to list crass comparisons to random games and even throw Google and Facebook into the mix. I think your troll unguent became quite apparent after you said Facebook and plastic features. If you look around you many people, especially after the release of GW2 have been literally crying for a more social game. People have been asking for a story driven, explorer centric game. Just because your'e a lone wolf who wants to go it alone and be the only hero in the galaxy doesn't mean that we all do.

What it looks like to me is that you are a BIG TES fan and are just butt hurt that Bethesda decided to make an MMO of it. Somethign that most MMO fans and TES fans have been waiting for. Bethesda has the framework and the perfect RPG formula to pull it off. Why don't you untangle your thong and try to look at it objectively?

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    So this article confirmed that I should wait for Everyquest Next. More of the same.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Oblivion was one of most boring, empy, games ever. Maybe 10 years before release would be great. Some say with player mods all changes, but at that time I did not know. Addons for wow are great, but could live without, would adapt. 

Also no mouse for moving avatar? Knock, knock, ... any1 at home? Nowadays this is standard for mmo's? As for me this should be standard for any game. Yes, yes, ... i understand some are so used to wasd that can not give up, wasd stil have die hard fans.

I only just need to read somewhere that will be 1st person. :-) Another big no for immersion and practical use.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

Hmmm ... I only ever played Oblivion but I hated the combat mechanic. This is an FPS with RPG elements for me. This was done long ago in Jedi Knight FPS and it was OK for an FPS sinc swords were left for boss fights mostly.

Also phasing and "public" dungeons sound strange to me. I wonder how this will work.

Last thing is the class system. If you can use almost any armor and branch into lot of skills, what makes the class restriction then ? What is the purpose ? It simply does not make any sense. However I like the split stat leveling and skill system. This is one of the old and good ways of UO :-)

Overall not very thrilled. More like wait and see.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

What a flop this will be. Making a personal story that  everybody plays and makes their own choices in instances in a MMO leads me to think why not just make a co op online Elders Scroll game? Why turn this IP in to a themepark,but with a few things done differently,but still  the same old tab target theme park crap. An Elders scroll MMO should be a sandbox, and nothing more where players live in the towns and cities and tend the farms, create the adventures and stories to be told.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

"Elder Scrolls Online is still in pre-alpha stages,"

Surely to early for the hype then?

If this is a co-op style one mans story game, then it is another nail in the coffin for MMO’s.

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54
    That megaserver phasing crap makes this game some sort of semiMMO themepark ultimate. What is the zone cap anyway, 100 players? Or did they just go completely nuts with 200?
    There goes any chance to get epic large scale combat action, I expect MMO releasing in 2013 to be able to handle players by the thousands. But I guess that's just too damn hard for them.
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by daltanious

Oblivion was one of most boring, empy, games ever. Maybe 10 years before release would be great. Some say with player mods all changes, but at that time I did not know. Addons for wow are great, but could live without, would adapt. 

Also no mouse for moving avatar? Knock, knock, ... any1 at home? Nowadays this is standard for mmo's? As for me this should be standard for any game. Yes, yes, ... i understand some are so used to wasd that can not give up, wasd stil have die hard fans.

I only just need to read somewhere that will be 1st person. :-) Another big no for immersion and practical use.

So you don't like TES games. That is great. Why are you here on the TES forums complaining about a game that hasn't released in an IP that you dislike so much?

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Wow, sounds pretty good, that was quite the glowing report.

I, for one, am more interested in this game now.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

<snip>

"Instancing" merely separates people when there's too many in one area or blocks off an area for a specified group. Like in a dungeon, there's no difference in the dungeon your group is in and one another group is in, instancing merely separates the groups so they don't have to battle each other for loot. :p

"Instancing" is crowd control.

"Phasing" separates people according to content they have or have not done.  In your dungeon, the group might have chosen "Option A" while another group chose "Option B".

"Phasing" is content control.

"Instancing" and "phasing" are similar to each other at the base level yes, but two separate mechanics in function.

TL,DR version: Funcom created "instancing", LotRO created "phasing", and you and I just had a civil discourse. IMAGINE THAT!! image

<snip>

Yeah, as far as I know, instancing and phasing (at least, as it's implemented in WOW) are two different technologies. Players in two separate phases are not necessarily in separate instances. They're in the same instance, it's just that the server sends you different info on what's shown to you. I recall a WOW dev saying it works pretty much like the ghost mechanic (that you experience after you die).

Granted, there are some instanced phases as well (like the Death Knight area), but most of the well-known phases are not instanced.

As for LOTRO, I don't remember what sort of phasing it employed, or even if it employed one at all. If you guys are talking about the stuff at the beginning of the game, I'd say it's highly likely that was just standard instancing and not phasing - meaning, you just "progressed" into another instance.