Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's sad, but I can't think of a single good Sci-Fi MMO that's not about spaceships.

SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83

And even if you remove the '' good '' part it's still hard, what are some important sci-fi mmos in which most the action take place on-foot?

Anarchy Online, Swtor, SWG.. that's pretty much all I can name, there are more I know, but I've never ever heard of them, so they must not be that important. (Note that I'm not saying those games are bad, they're just either past their prime, or dead)

At least spaceship fans got Eve, and I guess Star Citizen when it's released.

Any upcoming (and promising) Sci-Fi mmo I'm not aware of? I'm really craving for one.

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Slheyas

And even if you remove the '' good '' part it's still hard, what are some important sci-fi mmos in which most the action take place on-foot?

Anarchy Online, Swtor, SWG.. that's pretty much all I can name, there are more I know, but I've never ever heard of them, so they must not be that important. (Note that I'm not saying those games are bad, they're just either past their prime, or dead)

At least spaceship fans got Eve, and I guess Star Citizen when it's released.

Any upcoming (and promising) Sci-Fi mmo I'm not aware of? I'm really craving for one.

Sci-Fi is always cooler when it involves space.

What SciFi properties that don't include space would you like to see turned into an MMO?

The Matrix Online certainly qualifies, but I never tried it.  I guess some of the cheesy earth base SyFy shows like Euereka and Warehouse 13 count as well.

Does TSW have SciFi elements?  Maybe with the illuminati?

• SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83

Well see, the thing is that I WANT space, I want different planets and extraterrestrial species, but I want space combats and travel to take a backseat so all the important stuff takes place on the planet themselves.

Basically I'm asking for a good version of Swtor, because this game had so much potential, but well..

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    from what i have seen of videos, Firefly looks very good.  I just entered my info for beta earlier.
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Stargate was mostly ground based, there were the odd episodes on ships but most of it was travelling through gates on foot. 

It was being made in to an MMO but it got canned years ago sadly.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Perpetuum
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It is very sad. I Think developers look at SWG and SWTOR and think that the sci-fi theme is why they failed.

I'm a huge pre-NGE SWG fan but I can tell you that it failed because it was a buggy mess that instead of fixing the bugs, the devs tried to change combat every few months. And SWTOR, well, it really wasn't a MMO to begin with, more of a coop-online game.

If they recreated SWG without the SW and the Jedi, made it smooth and concentrated on fixing bugs and making more non-combat classes, they would have a fan in me until it was shutdown.

But I'm convinced they won't, it's better to for the shareholders to make WoW clones or themeparks that cater to the lowest common denominator, hype them like no tomorrow, then move on to the next themepark than it is to make a true Sci-Fi sandbox...

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Cuz it's hard to make a convincing organic combat when you are taking a Sci-Fi/Modern theme and not making it into  a shooter first game.

When you have guns and you have humans fights tend to end rather quickly.

EVE's combat is the best WoW Style raiding/Holy Trinity you can get in a PVP environment, you can ships that are designed to tank huge amounts of damage, support ships that repair other ships, support that debuff/buff, and various types of damage dealing ships.

They also replaces alot of the traditional MMO key-bound abilities with smart inventory management to compensate for the fact that you can't most likely will not have like 30 different abilities on a space ship.

When you have guns, weather they shoot bullets or lasers and you don't have a shooter first mechanic the fights really seem bad when all your bullets are basically magic missiles and it takes like a 1000 of them to kill somebody it just ruins the entire experience.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Vlhad7734
    from what i have seen of videos, Firefly looks very good.  I just entered my info for beta earlier.

Edit: Never mind. My brain playing tricks on me and reading "firefall" instead of "firefly". Sorry, please ignore.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Sci-Fi is the future...

/that's bad. image

One of the big advantages of space is not having render so much stuff. Also I think space-spaceships-planets as a virtual world is incredibly compelling a minor eg that is on the radar Dust + EvE. Perhaps that's what Titan will do?

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Perpetuum, Mech Warrior, The Secret World, all decent games, with no spaceships and some more then others, Sci-Fi aspects

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    TSW certainly has sci fi aspects, and SWTOR has such a bad space game that it could qualify for your no space game desire, but the rest of the game is good
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I want a good sci-fi game but it'll never get made because it would have to be massive.  Think EvE, except you can actually land on all those pretty planets and do things there.  I don't think you can really do a sci-fi game without space elements, the vast majority of games out there that purport to be sci-fi land-based games are really just fantasy games with a thin veneer of science laid over it.  Still has magic, they just call it something else.  No thanks.  Give me actual hard science fiction.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

IDK about "Good" since most of them are defunct - but, several examples of "Sci-Fi" without an emphasis on space ships:

The Matrix Online didn't even have space travel.

Planetside is mostly on foot (there are vehicles but they are terrestrial).

Tabula Rasa was foot travel for the most part.

Fallen Earth and Anarchy Online is mostly on foot - but those are more "Post Apocalyptic" than Sci-Fi.

Exsteel was all about land-based mechs.

SWG (pre-Lightspeed) was emphasis on terrestrial planetary exploration, there were shuttles between planets but they weren't emphasized.

Tribes Ascend and Global Agenda are both more or less Sci-Fi Shooters - I don't know that either really qualifies as "Massively" though. Neither of these have space combat or a space ship emphasis

Cephus
    Try perpetuum, its like eve but with mechs instead of ships.
    Secret world isn't really sci-fi. It's more urban fantasy / horror.

I mean there's no aliens in it, there's no tech in it beyond what you would see in a spy thriller. But it has elder gods, magic powers, magic swords, mythological creatures etc..
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Secret world isn't really sci-fi. It's more urban fantasy / horror.

I mean there's no aliens in it, there's no tech in it beyond what you would see in a spy thriller. But it has elder gods, magic powers, magic swords, mythological creatures etc..

I agree the Secret World is not sci-fi at all.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Otherland would prob interest you.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

Cephus

My point was, I want a massive universe, thousands of stars, hundreds of thousands of planets, the ability to explore and find entirely new star systems and you should be able to land on and explore every single one of them.  Something the size of EvE with the ability to build massively on many, many worlds.

It'll never be done.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Slheyas

Defiance looks interesting, i'm personally waiting forward to it!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Cephus

My point was, I want a massive universe, thousands of stars, hundreds of thousands of planets, the ability to explore and find entirely new star systems and you should be able to land on and explore every single one of them.  Something the size of EvE with the ability to build massively on many, many worlds.

It'll never be done.

It's already on its way sorta, called Star Citizen.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Cephus

It'll never be done.

It's already on its way sorta, called Star Citizen.

Unfortunately, you can't play a game that doesn't exist.  I really don't worry about things until they're actually on store shelves.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I do wish there were some more cyberpunk games for MMOs, but the real problem is that 99.9% of all MMOs are fantasy and that is kinda sad. Nothing against fantasy but the possibilities are almost endless and it is sad that devs & publishers seems to have so little imagination.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Modern and futuristic combat doesn't make a lot of sense in MMO's, and I think that's one reason.  You can't exactly deflect bullets, much less laser-based weapons, but it probably wouldn't be too engaging to have a 1 or 2 hit kill mechanic.  Instead, dev's are left trying to figure out weak ways of suspending disbelief with things like portable shield generators and stuff.

Ship combat is fine though, because it makes "sense" to have tough hulls and shields and other defensive measures needed to draw combat out.

You make me like charity

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SWG would have been the game i think, that would have had most of what you seem to be looking for, but, its now gone the way of Earth and Beyond and Matrix etc.  Otherland might be worth a look, but, i can't think of any other upcomming MMO that realistically fulfils that kind of gameplay requirements, its a shame really that SciFi games just don't seem to be that popular, i would have loved to have played an MMO set in the 'Traveller' Universe, but i doubt will ever see that happen, about all thats left currently is probably STO, but... not sure i even recommend it image
  • EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Loke666
    I do wish there were some more cyberpunk games for MMOs, but the real problem is that 99.9% of all MMOs are fantasy and that is kinda sad. Nothing against fantasy but the possibilities are almost endless and it is sad that devs & publishers seems to have so little imagination.

I agree I haven't ever been that much for fantasy which is why I'm still stuck with AO. Other thing is that everything else just seems so simple...

I hope someone would make sci-fi game, cyperpunk is good, but even more in future might work if they don't force it too much into fantasy realm...