Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Elder Scrolls Online: The Comprehensive Preview

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Sounds like just another ThemePark to me. Also, no PvP? Never was into the Elder Scrolls anyway so I think I will pass on this one.

Unfortunately there is, and it doesn't look nice.

Anyway, TES should not be about PvP, another useless feature which drains Zenimax resources

Cool, you've seen it? Any chance I could get a link to view it as well?

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I just hope that they have the good sense to add a lengthy time before you can log into a different realm.

Dark Age of Camelot was watered down to 6 minutes between realm changes.  That's a split second on a warmap - or frustrating when you see a guild log their mids and then login their hibs (XREALMERS, etc).

Us vs Them vs Them = realm loyalty, and the closest thing we will ever get to any kind of RP experience since few folks RP these days - or if they do it's just plain sillyness (i.e., Moonguard Alliance in WoW).

I recall the good old daoc days when folks would really mean it when they said, "damned Albs!!!"  But as it is today, it's more like, "sigh, I'll just log in my alb and join the BG..."

• ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21

Sounds like the fantasy version of TSW to me.  Which is ok in theory, considering that I enjoyed TSW's gameplay.  However. 

Give me one instance where an ES game hasn't been released with an unbearable amount of bugs (alot of which eventually had to be fixed by the mod community).  The size and scope of their singleplayer rpg experience, being the only real reason for their continued success (and noticable lack of real competition in the same epic sized rpg arena).   And let's not forget that just the presence of the mod tools being included with the games is responsable for a massive part of the games' popularity, and the longevity of the series.

I see this game being a huge financial success via preorders and launch day sales, and then falling flat on its face in a month due to game breaking bugs and exploits.  Bethesda will have to fix all the bugs themselves, with no mod community to help this time, and honestly, I just don't have the faith in them to be able to do it.

All of that being said, I would really love to be wrong, and see this game succeed. 

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Im still undecided on this MMO, im a long time player and supporter of TES series and i and very relieved that this is not a simple tab target game...like the rest.  But I am still worried it will feel just like every MMO out there and possibly worse much like SWTOR.  Ill need to see more before i dive into a purchase, just kinda seems like any other MMO with TES lore...and that wont do it for me.
  • kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75

The technology exists to have skyrims combat system work in mmorpg enviroment, so why didn't they try? To take Mortal online as an example, they have similar combat (but not as good, witch is understandable considering they had 20 memebrs, it was their first game and they had limited budget, so then a experienced team like bethesda should be able to make a game with combat like skyrim in mmorpg enviroment.

Tab-targeteing or even a "more involved" system like in guild wars 2 feels so 90's, the developers need to INOVATE, not ride the sucses off WOW.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Damn it's got instances. I only like 1 persisant world.
  • Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

"phasing", "replay the 1-50 game three times", "leveling through the theme-park".

Wow... too many words I didn't want to read. Call me skeptic but nothing changes my mind this game is going backwards in the MMO genre and is going to blow. I hope I'm wrong.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by crazydude991

I have one question tho,the game seems amazing and worth giving a shot,but do you have any info on how the payment for it will be? free-2-play /sub/ buy once play forever? read a couple of articles and some sayd f2p and some sayd sub so i am really curious about that fact.

Hey Dude,

No word yet.  They're "exploring their options". Wait and see.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    It reminded me of you SWTOR previews.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I seriously doubt they'll be able to go from pre-alpha to ready to launch (and I mean actually READY) in 1 year. No chance.
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    So the combat is like TERA? RaiderZ? A sword has a hitbox and when it connects it does damage?

This seems to be contradicted by what you said later about not being able to swing when you are not targetting someone.

Sounds like a soft-targeting mechanic.

PS: If you walk into town, do you -see- the quests?

i,e, do you have quest-markers over peoples heads, or can you interact and talk with everyone, and only some will have quests for you?

Because if you get ushered from npc to npc and find quests on the ground glowing, then thats incredibly un-TES like.

Your article presents information like the "Each alliance has its own 1-50 leveling experience." as a fact, and you embellish it with "completely different", even though that information isn't confirmed. This is bad writing, and bad journalism. It creates completely false expectations.

There is a difference between

"Each alliance has its own 1-50 leveling experience" and

"you'll be able to replay the 1-50 game three times in three completely different ways"

thats latter is your own conjecture.

Rein in your enthusiasm.

1.) TERA - Yes, it's like that. Currently, remnants of the E3 build keep you from swinging a melee unless you're aiming reticle is over the enemy.  This is changing.  

2.) Yes, I'm afraid you see them on your map, and NPCs that have anything to do with a quest have a glowing outline.  I can concede that this is un-TES. But not a dealbreaker (for me).

3.) It IS confirmed, by the devs own words.  I could add "If you really want to believe the developers", but it seemed unnecessary and kind of cynical.  If what they said to us last Wednesday turns out not to be true, then we can get pissed.

As for reining in my enthusiasm. Sorry, it's not my style and I apologize if you don't enjoy it. 

Enjoyment is my least concern if it comes to accurate information and their presentation.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

It sounds promising and the social aspect of rounding up people based on preferences is a bit of a break through. The phasing, if it works sounds very interesting to. 

My concerns from a personal perspective is the immersion.  I like/love GW2 because I know what type of game its trying to be and I accept that.  ESO from my perspective should be a deep RPG / old school game type feel.  So I will be expecting more from the crafting, housing, exploration etc.  If its another theme park type of ride, then I won't bother personally. 

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    If its pay to play i think ill pass.It's not my thing paying every month.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I do hope this does well . The problem is its coming into a market full of free to play games and buy to play games like Guild Wars 2 . Inevitably there will be more of these .

Also the genre continues to be dominated by WoW which has many fans that believe any game other than those created by Blizzard must be trolled mercilessly . I've not seen one single game since the release of WoW get a fair shot in forums anywhere on the net . Everythings called a WoW clone even Guild Wars 2 which has a totally different game mechanic and bairs no resemblance to WoW other than it is in a fantasy setting . 

This does look good though . I've just got a years sub to Rift and and also enjoying GW2 so by the time I've run out of things to do in them this should be out . Look forward to it .

• CeleustaCeleusta Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Very nice preview. This has put TESO back on my radar.

As a player of TES since Daggerfall, I have a pre-defined idea for what a TES game constitutes, but that certainly doesn't preclude this game from being fun on its own merits.

I'm not too enthusiastic about the phasing and the instancing, but I'll wait to hear more on that.
  • gnarlylexgnarlylex Member Posts: 5

Re-activating a years old account to post this:

I am failing to see what is new about this game.  It takes zero steps forward and takes many steps backwards.  The fact that there are classes, linear questing, and no player housing shows that these developers have no clue what people liked about this franchise.  I wish I could place bets on this game failing because I am 100% certain it is going to fail harder than SWTOR. 

I have been aware of this game for a while now, but hadn't done much research on it.  This preview changed that.  After reading this preview, I had to spend the next hour researching this game because I had to confirm my impression that this game is going to be a complete failure.  Unfortunately this further research only cemented my view of this game, and now I am very sad.  I'm sad not only at the inevitable failure of this game, but also at what that means for the future of this franchise.  It seems like there is so much potential for this franchise to make the transition to online play, but I predict that this game will fail so badly that nobody will dare attempt it again. 

I understand there is hope for things to be fixed after the game launches but in this case, with so many of the round pegs crammed in to square holes, I don't think its realistic to expect that patches will fix it.  The game is being built on a foundation of linear questing, classes, and no player housing.  These kinds of things cannot be fixed with patches.  Even if player housing is added post-launch, I predict it will be a token gesture at best.  Player housing is a major corner stone of Elder Scrolls game play, meaning that the game needed to be built around it from the very beginning.  Some junky instanced iteration of player housing tacked on in 2014 is not an acceptable iteration of a cornerstone of the franchise.

I'm so horribly disappointed.  This is such a huge bummer, because I had hopes for an Elder Scrolls online for years before this title was even announced.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

I understand why they have locked races to your faction, but I still wish it weren't so. From a design decision I would think it would make designing unique starting areas easier, and I suspect this is their reason. I also suspect that we will still see the inclusion of other races in these areas and within these factions, but just as NPC's.

ARGONIANS FOR LIFE!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Hey listen, I know this site is known for its sandbox fanbois and hating on anything that seems popular but can we please cut the crap with the hate before it turns others off.  Contrary to what you might believe, the written word has alot of power both for good and for bad and there are alot of players who may come across as jaded, uninformed, and outright anti-"whatever hate your spewing", when at one time they were either on the fence or had no knowledge of the game.  Not to mention this hate has the power to convey wrong messages and creates animosity amongst the readers.

Please if you dont like it, say your peace and move on, some of us actually liek the game and for every negative thread I see I have this uncanny knack to prve you wrong and that also isnt healthy.  Let the fans decide how this game comes across.  No one likes a critic!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    This game seems a lot better since the initial screenshot release of what initially appeared to be WoW-clone #17.
  • nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    WHAT??!! Bill-O you where in the DC Metro and you didn't even reach out to me...YOU ARE DEAD TO ME....We could have grabbed some drinks...This is where my diablolical plan would've kicked in to get Bill-O drunk and have him spill the beans about the game...Evil plan thwarted...STOOPID MMORPG...Next time I will prevail.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by nycplayboy78
    WHAT??!! Bill-O you where in the DC Metro and you didn't even reach out to me...YOU ARE DEAD TO ME....We could have grabbed some drinks...This is where my diablolical plan would've kicked in to get Bill-O drunk and have him spill the beans about the game...Evil plan thwarted...STOOPID MMORPG...Next time I will prevail.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

I had no idea you lived there, man!  Or it totally didn't register.  Or I just wanted to avoid having you get me drunk and make me break NDA.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I like the exciting beginning,this is what all games shoudl have.

However after that ,EVERYTHING sounds like a single player game not a RPG.

it sounds like you are to follow linear quests and if you want to replay you follow a different set of linear quests.

This type of gaming weather it has phasing or in REAL terms triggered quests,makes no difference,you are still playing a lienar questing game.We have had hundreds of these,imo far too many,someone needs to do a bit a thinking with NEW creativity.

I am quite sure i am not the only one who understands what developers can bring us in terms of creative gaming,i am simply waiting to see it.

By no means am i giving up on this game,i will wait and give it a chance,but the design already sounds a lot like game design 101,nothing new here.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by ste2000

What a mess.

Sorry but this article not only didn't made me change my mind but confirmed all my fears.

This is going to be another of those 1 month wonder themeparks. Not good enough.

-SWTOR story system? No thanks

-GW2 Quest system? No thanks

-Phasing? No thanks

-MegaServer plus Facebook, Google+ and all that plastic Social features? No thanks

-Switching Classes at will? No thanks (forgot what is an RPG, Zenimax/Bethesda?)

-Any hint of a Sandbox feature? Not even one.

But the real questions are:

1- Is crafting focal to this game like in every TES?

2- Is the combat in First person or at least a close third person (character can't see behind his back) like in every TES?

3- Personal Storyline is secondary to Exploration like in every TES? ( Storyline has never been important in TES, sorry to tell you that Bill, you are confusing TES with Dragon Age)

4- Are you free to play the game the way you want it, like in every TES?

The answers to those question so far is a big NO, so to me not only this is not going to be a good TES game, but another boring and shallow Themepark.

This game has nothing new to bring to the MMO industry while at the same time it has the power to kill the TES IP.

Zenimax should do the same as SoE did (with EQnext) scrapping this game and rebuild it to be a real TES game with "some" sandbox features, or it will fail badly.

Summed up a lot of my thoughts on TESO.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520
    This actually sound spretty good. I really like how your choices impact the world at least in your eyes. If they can nail the exploration feel of Skyrim then i will be happy.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

I stopped reading after I encountered words "story" and "phasing." If they really believe that "the pivotal aspects of any Elder Scrolls game is the story of your character and the world around him." then I truly pity their investors. One SWTOR was quite enough. Yawn. Pass. If I were any younger and less jaded, I'd be pissed off. Jeez, people if you want to make "stories" go write books or make movies.

Lol, phasing in an Elder Scrolls game. Lol. Lol and rofl. Pathetic. They really do get what made Elder Scrolls so great - personal stories that make little timmy feel like the dragon conqueror/saviour of the world on his "epic journey." I suppose they're going to charge a subscription for it as well. Lol and /irony off.

I just found this, while randomly browsing: "When one “layer” of a zone fills up, it’ll create another and put people into there." OMG. This game will fold before release. Remember WH40K? It's this bad a concept.