Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon Expansion Pack Update

2»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    wow this game is still alive? With the kind of non-population, i thought it would be closed down long ago.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    wow this game is still alive? With the kind of non-population, i thought it would be closed down long ago.

It should have.  Something tells me Derek Smart is paying to keep the servers open, and by the time it closes, he is going to be penniless.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by MadDemon64

It should have.  Something tells me Derek Smart is paying to keep the servers open, and by the time it closes, he is going to be penniless.

I thought he was playing with other people's money (hence the investors)? This is a classical case of throwing good money after bad.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I thought he was playing with other people's money (hence the investors)? This is a classical case of throwing good money after bad.

I think he is an investor.  He's convinced them that he can save the game and give them a positive return on investment for the money being spent now.  With the choice being cut your losses now or take a chance Derek Smart can turn it around.  I'd cut my losses now.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Can't believe I bought this game at release. That's $40 I'll never get back.

Also, DS doesn't give a fuck about current players. He banned all the longtime supporters of the game from the forums for criticizing it pretty much as soon as he was brought on board.

This game needs to die.

• GreenKnight1776GreenKnight1776 Member Posts: 57

Unfortunately Alganon has become like the agent of Dr. Evil in "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me." No matter what horrible things happen to it, it just...won't...die. Alganon is the Bozo The Clown of the MMO world, but worse, people used to know who Bozo was, and no one really pays attention to Alganon. 

Some great concepts, poorly managed and executed. True, DS has stated "it was all Allen's fault until I came along and turned Alganon around." Except he has been saying that for...how many years now? Two? Alganon is all better now? Really? It's a process then. How many years does he estimate the process will take? There is a business plan, he says. Okay. I guess the results speak for themselves.

Expansion pack? The game is struggling to survive as it is. If they can produce an expansion pack that is even modestly successful in this environment, I salute them.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by GreenKnight7
    Unfortunately Alganon has become like the agent of Dr. Evil in "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me." No matter what horrible things happen to it, it just...won't...die. Alganon is the Bozo The Clown of the MMO world, but worse, people used to know who Bozo was, and no one really pays attention to Alganon. Some great concepts, poorly managed and executed. True, DS has stated "it was all Allen's fault until I came along and turned Alganon around." Except he has been saying that for...how many years now? Two? Alganon is all better now? Really? It's a process then. How many years does he estimate the process will take? There is a business plan, he says. Okay. I guess the results speak for themselves.Expansion pack? The game is struggling to survive as it is. If they can produce an expansion pack that is even modestly successful in this environment, I salute them. 

To be fair, the game is better now, than it was when it released. The game never really had a chance though. I'm not sure what DS could have done with the game, other than scrap it and write another one. That failure to launch stigma is hard to get past.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85
    If no one plays can someone answer how the hell this game is still around? Im really confused.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
        I played for about a week over a year ago...I never saw a single other person in all that time.....THink I got to about level 20 or so and decided to heck with it.....Also the level 30 cap then you have to pay turned me off...I am surprised though that more people didn't try it as it looks just like a direct rip off of WoW.
    Originally posted by Theocritus
        I played for about a week over a year ago...I never saw a single other person in all that time.....THink I got to about level 20 or so and decided to heck with it.....Also the level 30 cap then you have to pay turned me off...I am surprised though that more people didn't try it as it looks just like a direct rip off of WoW.

I retried the game soon after it went F2P.  I actually saw someone as I was about to leave and they asked to group.  The game was so dead that I felt terrible that the one person they could group with was logging out.

It was such a blatant ripoff and so poorly done that most people didn't even bother downloading the open beta client.  It only got worse once they released the game.

This game getting an expansion befuddles me.

Rumor has it that they had to delay the expansion in order to add pandas to the game.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Rumor has it that they had to delay the expansion in order to add pandas to the game.

Strange, haven't heard anything about that on the forums.

Come to think of it, the last post on the forums was early september, and the second to last post was in july (not accepting support forums, as that was done by a mod, and they don't really count towards forum activity).

Should I take this as proof that Alganon is dead?

*Edit*

I just noticed that the recent events and latest characters parts of the website have recycled the same events and characters from several days ago.  Seriously, the webpage is creating the illusion that people are actually playing the game (and failing at it).  That is false advertising right there.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Strange, haven't heard anything about that on the forums.

Come to think of it, the last post on the forums was early september, and the second to last post was in july (not accepting support forums, as that was done by a mod, and they don't really count towards forum activity).

Should I take this as proof that Alganon is dead?

*Edit*

I just noticed that the recent events and latest characters parts of the website have recycled the same events and characters from several days ago.  Seriously, the webpage is creating the illusion that people are actually playing the game (and failing at it).  That is false advertising right there.

The panda thing was a joke.

Has Derek Smart announced a game that he didn't release?  He loves touting his resume, quantity over quality that is.

All of his announced upcoming games are delayed at least a year from their original announced dates.

My guess is that they will release an expansion of some kind.  Otherwise, why still run servers and the forums?

I have no clue why the game is still running.  It's obviously bleeding money, maybe not a lot if no one is working on it, but it's a cash loss for sure.

It's weird how they can go so long without even a peep on progress.  Is the current QoL team only working on Alganon or does Smart use them for his other projects?  It's the strangest way to develop games.
    It's weird how they can go so long without even a peep on progress.  Is the current QoL team only working on Alganon or does Smart use them for his other projects?  It's the strangest way to develop games.

wow .. this game is not totally dead yet?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

wow .. this game is not totally dead yet?

Just mostly dead.   If it was all dead, all you could do would be to go through its pockets. ^^   Its a shame really, as it wasn't really a bad game, all things considered.  I played to level cap, but there wasn't much to do after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tAKLTktY0

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Still no word on the expansion that was a due a year ago?

Why do people play Derek Smart games when they:

1) stink

2) Always have content releases delayed

3) Delays are always addressed after the fact rather than ahead of time

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Still no word on the expansion that was a due a year ago?

Why do people play Derek Smart games when they:

1) stink

2) Always have content releases delayed

3) Delays are always addressed after the fact rather than ahead of time

Why do people keep beating dead horses, when they:

1) Stink.

2) Always stay dead.

3) Should be hauled off to the glue factory, before they stink up the area? ^^

At this point only a handful of people even remember this game. Even fewer care about any delays.  RIP.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."