Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you feel that GW2 deserves the critical acclaim it's gotten from the press and gaming sites?

1111213141517»

Comments

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Insane666

not only is it overhyped and doesnt deserve its acclaim, its a step in the wrong direction for mmo's [ personal point of view, bite me fanboy ( self +1 for quoting LOBO ) ], and calling it revolutionary is a slap in the face for a big part of the old school crowd,,,

Old schooler's have no desire for revolution. That's why they are called like that. This game is revolutionary for early adaptors and people who like new concepts. Not the ones who like old stuff in new clothing.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by loulaki
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

You have to determine what the best MMO is for you, but double negatives aside, making blanket statements like "nobody can disagree that it's the best MMO this year" will prove you wrong 100% of the time.

well best is something compared to others its doing its job much better.

By who's standards? Yours? Mine? That's a lose-lose proposition no matter how you slice it. Opinions don't make good facts.

so between these years (lets say 2010-12), inform me for an MMORPG with 1) better gameplay (only TERA could reach the dynamic combat, but again its static skills burn it to the ground) 2) better graphics - art - enviroment 3) better PvP features (even if i would like open world PvP, the huge but instanced, WvW is awesome compared to the battlegrounds.. and the sPvP has all the potentials for TRUE competitive gameplay) 4) the ammount of innovetions like the break of holy trinity, the dynamiic events at the scale and the polish, the crafting, etc ... 5) and all these in B2P format ...

1) Rift

2) AoC

3) WoW

4) Can't make a comparison, since GW2 hasn't done those things either.

Happy now? Arguing with me about this will do you no good, since these are my opinions and are just as valid as your opinions. Not facts. Opinions. See how that works?

all these compared to other games place that one far ahead, and yes there are problems and big ones ,as the dungeon rewards, the lack of a proper beta(which leads to the bugs), the broken economy, etc but again compared to others again its far ahead ...

In your opinion, which is fine, but that opinion certainly may not be the opinion of others. Stop speaking for everyone.

i still wait from your part to show me a game whicch have done better than GW2 in these 2-3 months ...

First you asked me to tell you what game was better, now you're asking which game has done better. Those questions have very different answers. Make up your mind which answer you're looking for.

How many more times do I need to use the word opinion before you start to get the picture of why I responded they way I did to your post?

/onegreatbiggiantfacepalm

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Was way over hyped / overrated and didn't live up to my standards.

Still a good game, however we got many of these themepark mmo's already and they all are pretty much the same when you play it. I'll jump back into it when I get the itch again.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    While i do think Gw2 is a great game it isnt the savior of the mmo genre like many fans told me it would be. DE get as boring as quests, WvWvW is just flipping nodes back and forth, pve endgame is doesnt exist. I love the combat, art, and the world but it just isnt enough to hold my interest. But i am ahppy to know that if i ever get bored i can just start it up and play when ever.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• knuckledust13knuckledust13 Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by knuckledust13

People who wrote the critics regarding GW2 played how much? Probably up to level 30 or something? Until there, the game is truly awesome. From level 40 and on, you start seeing how rushed the game was. Besides bugged SPs and DEs everywhere, the game just lacks content. It has a handful of "Dynamic Events", which are old warhammer public quests with another name, and it has 6 dungeons or so. There is absolutely nothing else to do.

Not to mention the bots are infesting the game and ArenaNet has been doing nothing about it. I reported some bots over one month ago and those still on the very same spot farming the very same DE over and over.

All the promises they made on the Manifesto were not delivered. The game world does not change, there is huge and abysmal grind and rushed designs, such as elite skills.

This game is a disappointment, I bet any reviewer who plays up to level 80 will agree with me here.

sounds like you haven't played this game at all:) if you layed out side by side all the features of GW2 and all the content it currently has against any themepark at their release in the last several years GW2 would be leaps ahead of any of them. 

I have actually played about 250 hours before I uninstalled. On level 80, unless you want to spend up to 18 hours a day grinding for a legendary weapon (which is a skin that isn't even worth the abysmal grind required), there is nothing else to do.

No one goes back to level 20 areas "because it is fun". The game doesn't reward you, on the other hand, it has a HEAVY diminishing returns feature that kills your currency and drop gains in about 20 minutes of playing.

No one grinds dungeons over and over because there is no point. When people did this to farm currency and XP, they simply cut down the rewards to THE GROUND and made a patch that dramatically increased dungeons difficulty. NO ONE does those unless going for the no-life grind of legendaries.

The only thing people do at level 80 is camping the Trading Post to hoard gold. Most beta testers who quit the game, like myself, actually call it "Trading Wars 2" as a joke, because there are so many people camping the TP that you get undercut at the very moment.

This is the current state of the game. "Playing for fun" doesn't cut it if there is no content for the fun to be had.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

People who wrote the critics regarding GW2 played how much? Probably up to level 30 or something? Until there, the game is truly awesome. From level 40 and on, you start seeing how rushed the game was. Besides bugged SPs and DEs everywhere, the game just lacks content. It has a handful of "Dynamic Events", which are old warhammer public quests with another name, and it has 6 dungeons or so. There is absolutely nothing else to do.

Not to mention the bots are infesting the game and ArenaNet has been doing nothing about it. I reported some bots over one month ago and those still on the very same spot farming the very same DE over and over.

All the promises they made on the Manifesto were not delivered. The game world does not change, there is huge and abysmal grind and rushed designs, such as elite skills.

This game is a disappointment, I bet any reviewer who plays up to level 80 will agree with me here.

sounds like you haven't played this game at all:) if you layed out side by side all the features of GW2 and all the content it currently has against any themepark at their release in the last several years GW2 would be leaps ahead of any of them. 

I have actually played about 250 hours before I uninstalled. On level 80, unless you want to spend up to 18 hours a day grinding for a legendary weapon (which is a skin that isn't even worth the abysmal grind required), there is nothing else to do.

No one goes back to level 20 areas "because it is fun". The game doesn't reward you, on the other hand, it has a HEAVY diminishing returns feature that kills your currency and drop gains in about 20 minutes of playing.

No one grinds dungeons over and over because there is no point. When people did this to farm currency and XP, they simply cut down the rewards to THE GROUND and made a patch that dramatically increased dungeons difficulty. NO ONE does those unless going for the no-life grind of legendaries.

The only thing people do at level 80 is camping the Trading Post to hoard gold. Most beta testers who quit the game, like myself, actually call it "Trading Wars 2" as a joke, because there are so many people camping the TP that you get undercut at the very moment.

This is the current state of the game. "Playing for fun" doesn't cut it if there is no content for the fun to be had.

Must be a language barrier thing. You're actually saying "there's nothing else for the likes of me to do". Personal preference doesn't factor when doing an objective side by side feature comparison. His statement still stands.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

I do go to all areas because there isn't so many risen. Why do you call me nobody, I didn't do anything to you image

This is the 1st MMO to me that I haven't played 80hours per week and it was a good call. Instead I've played about 20 hours and mostly on weekends, so it has stayed fresh to me.

You know no content isn't enough for those that play 10 hours a day?

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Pelaaja

I do go to all areas because there isn't so many risen. Why do you call me nobody, I didn't do anything to you image

This is the 1st MMO to me that I haven't played 80hours per week and it was a good call. Instead I've played about 20 hours and mostly on weekends, so it has stayed fresh to me.

You know no content isn't enough for those that play 10 hours a day?

I wouldn't totally dismiss people that rush (well, that's a relative really, for them/us that's a natural pace) through content. If nothing else, you can see this as a fast forward into the future, especially if you have similar gaming habits but not the same time to put into the game. Unless Anet (or insert any mmorpg company really) can't keep with your pace, you'll eventually have to deal with it as well.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    *sigh* another one of these threads..

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

I swear there must be another version of "Guild Wars 2" that some people are playing. I could play this game for years and not even come close to running out of things to do. And I mean fun things to do.

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    I find GW2 greatest strength is its combat system and questing design(however the lack of quest hubs makes it feel more disconnecting)that being said praise is praise whether it is deserved or not. SWTOR received lots of critical praise as well. As far as a lack of content; I don't know. I have yet to get a toon past ten since I keep making new alts and trying different classes.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258
    It is woefully underappreciated.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by knuckledust13 People who wrote the critics regarding GW2 played how much? Probably up to level 30 or something? Until there, the game is truly awesome. From level 40 and on, you start seeing how rushed the game was. Besides bugged SPs and DEs everywhere, the game just lacks content. It has a handful of "Dynamic Events", which are old warhammer public quests with another name, and it has 6 dungeons or so. There is absolutely nothing else to do.   Not to mention the bots are infesting the game and ArenaNet has been doing nothing about it. I reported some bots over one month ago and those still on the very same spot farming the very same DE over and over.   All the promises they made on the Manifesto were not delivered. The game world does not change, there is huge and abysmal grind and rushed designs, such as elite skills.   This game is a disappointment, I bet any reviewer who plays up to level 80 will agree with me here.

Everyone I know who plays does WvW. It is apparently fun and takes up a good bit of time in the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

sounds like you never played GW1 or don't understand this type of game at all.. do like how you assume everyone has the same ideals in gaming though and strives for the same things.. also you may of forgot this little thing called WvW that constantly has que's every single night because so many are playing it. Assume you did none of the jumping puzzles, probably did no sPVP, doubt you completed all 8 dungeons with all paths.. completed the story with differn't races to see each ones perspective of the war and how they lead up to it as each lead in is a unqiue story experience. Sure you completed all the META events for every zone, did dye collecting, crafted a profession to max, joined a guild, got a set of exotic gear... again game has TONS of unique content but like some others you don't enjoy the content that is there so automatically to you that means the game lacks in content.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by grimal
    (...)

IT.  IS.  A.  FACT.

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development

YOU do not get to define the genre or ignore the game elements and then declare 'fact' and 'win.'      You made a claim.  You not only provided no proof, but you also are clearly using a tortured defintion of 'role-playing game' when you include WoW as a role-playing MMO and GW2 is not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

One problem with that definition is that it is too vague. With that definition you quoted the a lot of adventure games would be classified as RPGs.

Let's name a few games in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting:

Several GTA games, Resident Evil games, Silent Hil games, Golden Eye 64, several Mario games, several Metal Gear games, several Metroid games, several Zelda games, Half-Life 2, etc.

Character development such as obtaining new gear and skills, fictional setting and assuming the roles of characters are all characteristics that are very common in a lot of games that are not labeled as RPGs.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by grimal
    (...)

IT.  IS.  A.  FACT.

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development

YOU do not get to define the genre or ignore the game elements and then declare 'fact' and 'win.'      You made a claim.  You not only provided no proof, but you also are clearly using a tortured defintion of 'role-playing game' when you include WoW as a role-playing MMO and GW2 is not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

One problem with that definition is that it is too vague. With that definition you quoted the a lot of adventure games would be classified as RPGs.

Let's name a few games in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting:

Several GTA games, Resident Evil games, Silent Hil games, Golden Eye 64, several Mario games, several Metal Gear games, several Metroid games, several Zelda games, Half-Life 2, etc.

Character development such as obtaining new gear and skills, fictional setting and assuming the roles of characters are all characteristics that are very common in a lot of games that are not labeled as RPGs.

it's hard thing to classify nowadays.. think of older rpg hybrids.. they basically were labeled with the RPG part just because they offered leveling up or character customization as part of the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

IT IS A FACT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS.

T_T

IT IS ALSO A FACT I WAS RAM SACKED LAST NIGHT IN WvW BY 2 CHARR WARRIORS FROM SEA OF SORROWS SERVER AND THEN THEY DANCED ON TOP OF MY LITTLE ASURA BODY!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-