Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by gamesrfun
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    I am concerned with how SOE tries to sell this mmo as a sand box, and what they think is good for the market with a history of sand box mmos failing. If they think by making a sand box mmo that is purely sand box and player created content only then it won't do well. It will still need epic bosses, npcs with alignment systems, advanced ai, questing, Mini games, and complex and rewarding combat. Those are not staple sand box features but are important enough to include. Also things like crafting, customization, are staples of sand box mmos... However rare items are not. Then there should be a balance of introducing rare items with unique uses, and stats but still fit with a sand box mmo... Since these kind of rewards are also great to encourage exploration. And I do hope it has the depth of sand box mmos, and enough otter non sand box content as well. Having missions to do is still important, and it being a pure sand box mmo takes away the feeling of being on a quest when getting rewards but instead macroing skills for end game. And it would be nice if there was quests and a skill point system like tsw, but a short trip to reach end game, and lvling is horizontal to acquire rewards in quests, not macros of chopping wood all the time, for end game. And usual, I prefer games to be for a mature audience since they can put content that makes the game more enjoyable without having to worry about ratings.

Yes, my perfect sandbox game has:

1)  Mini games 

2) Using rewards as carrot sticks to move from zone to zone

3)  max level in a week

STAY out of my game please.  Sandbox games do not have MINI GAMES except for games created by players and regulated by players.  

I suppose you want our sandbox game to have mail, an auction house, and instanced battlegrounds too?  Cross-server dungeon instances?  Ugh lol.

Like gnome punting.  *grins wickedly* oh, the fun....

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by rungard

Reading all smeds comments you have to think that they will be focusing on player generated content. He has said numerous times that they cant keep up with gamers. So what systems are out there that feature player generated content?

pvp, crafting, structure building, terrirory control, economies. How do you focus on player generated content without pvp in some incarnation? I dont think you can really.

That being said there are some things i am sure will be in the game

dungeons, raids, classes

but what i think will happen is that they wont have instances, raids wont give out phat l33t, and classes will be alot more flexible than ever seen before. I also think there will be the possibility of FPS combat and concentration on the first person view.

all in all i think we have alot to look forward to. For most of us all this sounds great, but for the pve purists, i realy do think that it is time to stat thinking a little differently.

They are looking back to EQ1 and Vanguard for direction, I'm pretty sure raids will have phat l33t. I would hope master crafters would be able to take those raid items and remold/improve  the items. I also bet they will have MASSIVE raids like EQ1 did. Whichis something I miss in MMOs.

player genre rated factions would be nice. I could imagine the timeline being set at the founding of Qeynos shortly after the Ogre Empire was defeated and cursed by the gods. Players  could become lords and help to build sections of the great legendary cities of EQ. Rivalries could form guilds/lords could place guards within their lands that they would have to purchase. Players that killethe guards would receive faction hits as per old EQ1 if it got low enough they would be be flagged and  could be attacked by members of the guild. Players actions would also effect the guilds they were in, but at a lower rate, and guild leaders would be given tools to track this a d even forgive players or call for wars.

All the while keeping the amazing PVE EQ is known for.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Starpower
    And even if we get what's promised, I'm sure forumgoers will have plenty to bitch about anyway.

What Smed said about the game is so non-specific, forum goers can't help but try to fill in the blank space with their own wishes. I think forum goers abhor a vacuum more than nature does.

Anyway, we're years away from EQNext being something peole can play, so until then, I'll just keep playing Minecraft and hoping the Minecraft API comes out sometime in this decade.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by pvpirl

Again, we're all engaged in mental masterbation as to to what the final product will resemble. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Right now, I just wish the launch of PS2 and following month or so of newness to be over with; so Smed stops flooding my twitter with PS2 nonsense, and EQN can move into it's place as the SOE main effort.

I'm not asking for a playalble demo, hell, not even asking for screenshots. Gimmme a logo, some offical forums, maybe start engaging with the public a bit more. Only time will bring that, unfortunately. I enjoy being a part of this EQN circle jerk as much as anybody else posting here, but I honestly don't know how much we can predict when you have people like "Smokejumper" alluding to far out shit such as "spell weaving" via motion capture web cam. dafuq. What the fuck are they working on in there?!

I've never wanted a "leak" or anon insider so bad for anything lol. SOE Bradley Manning please stand up, we promise not to reveal your identity ;)

LOL 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by gamesrfun

STAY out of my game please.

Well, thing is, it's Smed's game.

He may, someday, effectively ask you to stay out of his.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Originally posted by rungard

Reading all smeds comments you have to think that they will be focusing on player generated content. He has said numerous times that they cant keep up with gamers. So what systems are out there that feature player generated content?

pvp, crafting, structure building, terrirory control, economies. How do you focus on player generated content without pvp in some incarnation? I dont think you can really.

That being said there are some things i am sure will be in the game

dungeons, raids, classes

but what i think will happen is that they wont have instances, raids wont give out phat l33t, and classes will be alot more flexible than ever seen before. I also think there will be the possibility of FPS combat and concentration on the first person view.

all in all i think we have alot to look forward to. For most of us all this sounds great, but for the pve purists, i realy do think that it is time to stat thinking a little differently.

They are looking back to EQ1 and Vanguard for direction, I'm pretty sure raids will have phat l33t. I would hope master crafters would be able to take those raid items and remold/improve  the items. I also bet they will have MASSIVE raids like EQ1 did. Whichis something I miss in MMOs.

player genre rated factions would be nice. I could imagine the timeline being set at the founding of Qeynos shortly after the Ogre Empire was defeated and cursed by the gods. Players  could become lords and help to build sections of the great legendary cities of EQ. Rivalries could form guilds/lords could place guards within their lands that they would have to purchase. Players that killethe guards would receive faction hits as per old EQ1 if it got low enough they would be be flagged and  could be attacked by members of the guild. Players actions would also effect the guilds they were in, but at a lower rate, and guild leaders would be given tools to track this a d even forgive players or call for wars.

All the while keeping the amazing PVE EQ is know for.

This!!  Yes, plz!

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

My biggest hope is that Ogre/Trolls are fat again (Yes, I've seen the concept art of the Ogre released like 2 years ago, and it's based off of the Luclin Models) Heres to hoping they scapped some of that design element.

The wait till SOE Live 2013 is sure to be a long one.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Starpower
    And even if we get what's promised, I'm sure forumgoers will have plenty to bitch about anyway.

What Smed said about the game is so non-specific, forum goers can't help but try to fill in the blank space with their own wishes. I think forum goers abhor a vacuum more than nature does.

Hype Killer! image

You know, devs continue to throw around hype and buzzwords like they were candy yet people still gobble it up.

MOAR! MOOOOAAARRRRR!

Long live the Hype Monster!

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Muke

SWG's housing

fk no!

opening the overhead map on a desert planet that Tatooine was supposed to be in the SW lore and see a Manhattan streetmap instead.

"desert planet? All I see is houses!!"

I more meant the shops and governments that sprang up, not the unlimited placement, unlimited placement doesn't quite work, I agree. Needs more limitations.

To preserve hunting grounds, quest zones and general landscape, I would agree to build zones as limitations.  The real truth however was the new "Abandon strucutures" rules that helped eliminate those ghost cities and player houseing.  Those features in a 90 day cycle took down unplayed houseing rather dramaticly.  But I guess you guys missed that at the end.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    (mod edit)

A game that uses the same engine as a game to be released in a few years from now has some security issues before it even releases. Therefore, the game that releases in a few years from now will be hacked and have the same security issues.  Seems logical to me.

We haven't even seen a screen shot, the game doesn't even have a released logo, website, anything.. I wouldn't be worrying about h4xx0rz yet.

Speaking of, tweet bomb Smed about launching EQN forums or something?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    (mod edit)

Well PS2 isn't out yet which means they can tighten up the problem right? Also, if issues are coming up with the engine in PS2 those fixes and/or upgrades would then be given to EQN as well right? Not seeing the doom and gloom yet.  Props to you and the few YouTube users that are letting SoE know about this image.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    (mod edit)

True. Once a game is set to use an engine, no changes can be made. SOE can't increase security or update code. Especially with only a few years until EQ Next actually comes out.

I guess detection > prevention at that rate.

Anyway, guess PS2 will be a good experiment to watch in the meantime to see how the engine holds up.

What art direction do you hope to see in EQN?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by Kenze
    Originally posted by JC-Smith
    Obviously we'll have to wait and see the implementation, but I think Smedley is dead on about where the genre needs to go. Generation, player created or driven content, those are the waves of the future. And it's great to see a major company embrace it.

but what does that mean? describe player created content. give me a few examples of how players generate content would look.

SWG's housing and crafting system.

Dark Age of Camelot's RvR.

Ultima Online's everything.

Eve Online's everything.

Daoc is instanced pvp in shared zones away from the rest of the world zones. It isn't anything close to sandbox pvp. In a sandbox the entire world is open to pvp. RvR has always been just an attempt to similate open world pvp. It was a way to coddle players enough to give them a sense of protection while leveling and provide a big playground to trick them into thinking it was risky or real.

SWG was a sandbox and it didn't have FFA PvP. PvP was toggled on or off. Also, DAoC had FFA PvP servers as well. PvP isn't a sandbox feature IMHO. Its just a MMO feature, which can be seen in both Themepark and Sandbox games. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Hang on we get to play the sandbox parts only if we sub? So the riff-raff are kept out? Sounds great. :)

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    That said daoc isn't a sandbox.

It's an open world, instance free themepark with some sandbox elements - housing, darkness falls, and semi sandbox elements - rvr territory control, powerful crafting.

Themeparks didn't exist until WoW came out. DAoC is not a themepark. It's not a sandbox either, it's just a MMORPG. 

The term themepark is used to describe games that remind a person of its real world counterpart. WoW is the first themepark MMORPG, because it was the first MMORPG to take away the need for group leveling, and in its place put soloable quest hubs throughout every zone where people collect quests, do them, and then return to turn them in. WoW guided you from one zone to the next, so that you were never left guessing what you should do next and where.

DAoC was nothing like that. In fact, before WoW came out, the only quests to really be found were tied to your class faction. Those quests only came about every 5 levels and were called Epic Quests. The bulk of your leveling was done in a group, and that group leveled up either in the open world, open dungeons, or persistent battlegrounds. 

Once again, DAoC was not a themepark, because there was no direction from the game on what to do, when to do it, nor were there quest hubs. 

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

This was last year, i know they have changed the feature but i can't see them redoing the Art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cp3j-7yz3I

Originally posted by Rimmersman

This was last year, i know they have changed the feature but i can't see them redoing the Art.

The art style yes but who knows on the textures.  The last picture was from last year and could be the same but the upper two were from '10 and the first picture, which was an in game shot was on the other engine and is poof.  Can you imagine this face using SoEMote? Yum.

As far as art style goes I'm hoping for mystical places but that slowly blend together and doesnt seem like different themes boxed together.  Character art would be standard fantasy but with a little flair... or a lot at times.  Plate armor is great but plate armor studded with frosting ice shards is even better.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

The art style yes but who knows on the textures.  The last picture was from last year and could be the same but the upper two were from '10 and the first picture, which was an in game shot was on the other engine and is poof.  Can you imagine this face using SoEMote? Yum.

Perhaps the only way of seeing anything now that will give you some idea is PS2.

This screenshot is very nice even though it is PS2.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Amazing looking screenshot.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Amazing looking screenshot.

All of that particle fog. oh my...hang in there, rapidly aging GPU, hang in there :upload a candy heart for the GPU:

I hate particles, still.  Sign of how old the Gamer is, I guess.  Wonder if I should order a new one.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Icewhite

You're not kidding and hopefully those effects are toggleable. There is a video of Smed introducing Forgelight and he runs down the list of what it can do, Nvidia Physx being one of them and claimed a wide range if machines can run it.

Rimmersman

I agree that PS2 is the best bet to see what EQN will look like setting wise. As great a game as PS2 seems to be I'd be lying if I didn't see pictures and videos and imagine a fantasy world there instead if soilders and tanks lol. The way you can see so far in the distance gets me giddy for a sprawling open world.

I may have to buy a Playstation to get EQN on console too, if it follows what many have guessed will happen with Planetside 2.

PC on Console?

This discussion has been closed.