Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just Some thoughts.

Had commented on New Legendary items on massively.

Mostly directed on Cosmetics > stat items.

After reading most of people comments, seems like people don't understand why lots of people do not like this. 

Pulled from comments:

"Not wrong at all. If you refer to it as tedious work, then it can't suddenly turn into being fun just because the carrot has some numbers slapped on it alongside some sparkle & shine. Either it's fun or it's not."

I believe this is completely false. Many people would much rather play to become stronger then your peers, not just to look like it.  this is how the MMO genre got popular in the first place.

Yes playing the game for fun, and getting rewarded by only "upgrading the shine" is cool and all.

But is missing the point lots of people play MMOs for, which is that strive you be superior to your friends and others. (not just too look cooler)  

I personally believe there is a "skill cap" to this game. meaning you only get so good. but i guess that's still irrelevant. ( plus there is no way to show it, other then dueling or 5s?

(lulz this isn't league)

The fact of the matter is, Anyone can get these items. Not legendary at all. A mediocre player can grind there way to a new shiny, they didn't have to play well to get it. just take the time to do it.

I didn't even make it to 80, i guess my main reason if I felt I had seen all GW2 has to offer at level 40 already.

Things that I wish GW2 had, or didn't have. ( keep in mind, i left good while ago already.. things could of changed that i missed)

1) Complete world pvp.... if zones scale to level.. why not?

2) Raids?  yea i know lots of people don't want this... but cmon,  hard content with unique rewards. get 20+ people to coordinate as a team is challenge in itself. But overall gives that more "Epic Feeling" when downing progression bosses. Even if it just dropped "unique cosmetics"

3) More exclusive endgame, I guess just like in raids, I would like more to work towards then achievements and more shine.

4) take out waypoints and add mounts.  complete personal opinion xD

5) Personally hate currency system, makes it feel more like grind... why not just have many many items you need (that drop) to craft your epic gear.. not farm out 500 badges, or 100 this and 100 of that......

Its not that have grind is bad, but make it seem less of a grind. make sense?

Would rather Farm a dungeon or w/e 100 times to get a super rare drop. then to farm that same dungeon to see a currency go from 0- 100.

Seems this is the general direction mmos are going, which is why I really only play EVE and dota2... but i do occasionally hop on others like GW2.... I might just burned out.. but i still the MMO genre.

BTW - i quit warcraft loongggg agooo..(so dont call me a warcraft fanboy xD) my casual drop in consist of gw2, rift and dcuo

waiting for eq:next       and new  Darkfall. love the sandbox types now.  but i do sure miss Vanilla!

Leave some comments on your own opinion!  maybe my view is wrong and you could change my mind! ( no trolls please, ty!)

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by maddhatter44

I believe this is completely false. Many people would much rather play to become stronger then your peers, not just to look like it.  this is how the MMO genre got popular in the first place.

Yes playing the game for fun, and getting rewarded by only "upgrading the shine" is cool and all.

But is missing the point lots of people play MMOs for, which is that strive you be superior to your friends and others. (not just too look cooler)  

Was never my goal when i started to play mmo's. I always wanted to be stronger then the mobs not my peers and look better then my peers not be stronger then them.

I wanted to be useful, free to roam, explore nooks and crannies and watch the lore of the world and enjoy it's beauty because the devs took the time to make it as realistic as possible for immersion. 

That's what mmo gaming is to me. 

So this rush to the end, just to rush to the ten million dungeon runs, just to rush thru the tier 1 raids, just to rush thru the tier 2 raids is nonsense and was something that they put in there to bring in more interest from the types of players that used to be the majority at the time. Not so now.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Was never my goal when i started to play mmo's. I always wanted to be stronger then the mobs not my peers and look better then my peers not be stronger then them.

I wanted to be useful, free to roam, explore nooks and crannies and watch the lore of the world and enjoy it's beauty because the devs took the time to make it as realistic as possible for immersion. 

So this rush to the end, just to rush to the ten million dungeon runs, just to rush thru the tier 1 raids, just to rush thru the tier 2 raids is nonsense and was something that they put in there to bring in more interest from the types of players that used to be the majority at the time. Not so now.

This right here is what is lacking in very MMO that comes out, as well as in the community. It's what all of us who started prior to around 2004 experienced and it's what we've been looking for every since. Even vanilla WoW sort of elicited this feel but quickly left it behind. Final Fantasy XI, Everquest, Ultima...you wanted to be useful and and look like you found really cool stuff in your explorations : )

What the OP desribes is definitely a newer state of mind.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

Tho i do agree with you,  These raids are what brought and kept millions into the genre.

But your right, my first MMO was FFXI, tho I did watch my older brother play EQ1 (tho since i was still young, i had quit after a year or so when WoW came out) I did only play FFXI to explore and find awesome new things.

After playing many different MMOs and expansions, just exploring doesnt cut it anymore. Espically with the huge flood of mmos out on the market now. Feels more like same old zone with new art styles. 

And how does exploring make you useful exactly?

And raids only dropped cause the huge flood of casuals that came to the genre. they can take weeks just to explore. Don't get me wrong, I love exploring. but can't be my main focus/only focus.  and lore doesnt always mean exploring.

So what do you do after you explored all the zones?

Sure Raids shouldnt be only focus,( nor should u rush to it) but not to have that progression at all? 

I understand now, casuals have changed the game. because truth is even if you did take your time. wouldnt take long to explore all the zones, and learn most the lore

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Ozreth

This right here is what is lacking in very MMO that comes out, as well as in the community. It's what all of us who started prior to around 2004 experienced and it's what we've been looking for every since. Even vanilla WoW sort of elicited this feel but quickly left it behind. Final Fantasy XI, Everquest, Ultima...you wanted to be useful and and look like you found really cool stuff in your explorations : )

What the OP desribes is definitely a newer state of mind.

Well, after your inital connection to a certain mmo, and you explored most zones, understood the lore... basically after you knew everything about the game, what then? 

have you forgotten the EQ1 was heavyily into dungeons/raiding.. yes exploring was huge part also. but so was raid / item progression.

so was FFXI to an extent...

can't really say for UO, but that game had full looting pvp.  Which  imo had most appel to that game. not exploring

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Well, personally the only thing i agree with is 5, the currency thing. It makes the game feel bland. It's too much like the more boring parts of RL where no matter what you do you are paid in the same currency - money, which you then use to buy whatever you want. It's bland. Frodo and the gang didn't destroy the ring by grinding orcs in gondor, they did it by performing a specific task at a specific place. King Arthur didn't get excalibur by picking omnomberries but by pulling it from a very specific stone.

Specific rewards for specific actions, that's what is most missing from GW2 at the moment. And some kind of mild progression beyond lvl80 in stats and beyond lvl 30 in skills wouldn't hurt the game at all.

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

So what do you do after you explored all the zones?

Sure Raids shouldnt be only focus,( nor should u rush to it) but not to have that progression at all? 

I understand now, casuals have changed the game. because truth is even if you did take your time. wouldnt take long to explore all the zones, and learn most the lore

Well, personally I jump in and do some WvW, some sPvP and some crafting. Run a few dungeons, work on an alt. Find all the different pets on my Ranger, chat a little with guildies, do a little more WvW.

That is enough for this "Casual" -- ( i hate that term almost as much as baddie).

My real achievments come in my real life. I'm rewarded all I need when I look at my children grow and realize that is the biggest achievment I could ever have. Also the fact they have a father that doesn't spend all day on the computer playing games.

I'm going to make up a term to replace "Hardcore" in describing a player that blows through all a games content in the first month. Does anyone have any suggestions?  This would be something we could call them in response to calling us "casuals" or "bads".

The problem with this genre came when gaming became a profession instead of just enjoyment.