Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Basking in the Shadow of the Mad King

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We met up with ArenaNet in San Francisco last week to test drive some of Guild Wars 2's new Halloween themed content: Shadow of the Mad King. Read on to see what awaits you as the update goes live today.

With Shadow of the Mad King, ArenaNet is poised to update the game with a huge two-fold build that will bring the eponymous Halloween event into Tyria alongside other content and rewards for players interested in exploring the game world.  We were recently invited to take a look at some of the new stuff coming down the pipe for Guild Wars 2, and I got to chat with Lead Content Designer Mike Zadorojny and Game Designer Matt Wuerffel about the game's October update.

Read the rest of Som Pourfarzaneh's Guild Wars 2: Basking in the Shadow of the Mad King.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90
    It's stuff like this that makes me happy i bought this game, sold my PS3 and threw my CE of SWTOR into the trash bin.  Love Anet and their dedication to GW2.

PS (I would have said First!, but I'm not a douche bag)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Looking forward to hearing what people think of update..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Preview by PC Gamer: http://youtu.be/u4QM57ri8fE

Looks amazing. They put so much work into this.

And this update seems massive. I'm actually legitimatly impressed

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I just wish the game was actually fun, because this event looks awesome. It's not enough to get me to log in, however.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Finaly a reason to lay off WvW for a moment :) !!!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Awesome, can't wait for the event to start!

Im a bit sad to see they are planning on nerfing legendaries though. I thought it was fine to have something that seems very far away and hard to get in the game, its not like the game is catered to hardcore players so having something be "hardcore" was fresh.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    To tell you the truth Karma isn't the problem with Legendaries. geting a precursor item is the problem unless you are very lucky.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by QSatu
    To tell you the truth Karma isn't the problem with Legendaries. geting a precursor item is the problem unless you are very lucky.

Exactly.

I love really long and elaborate quest chains for special weapon and item but legendaries are pure RNG.  I've seen countless threads of players that have put a lot of time and money into their precursers and end up going 0/2000.  Then some casual who has no idea what they're even doing goes 1/1.  There's nothing legendary about that.

I want the rarity, minus the RNG.

Originally posted by QSatu

Preview by PC Gamer: http://youtu.be/u4QM57ri8fE

Looks amazing. They put so much work into this.

And this update seems massive. I'm actually legitimatly impressed

Kool video! the place looks amaizing. Can't wait to get home!

BTW last part was pretty funny :)

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Sorry, but rehashing old events from GW1 doesn't exactly make a game world seem alive and living as Anet claimed was their goal. 
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Sorry, but rehashing old events from GW1 doesn't exactly make a game world seem alive and living as Anet claimed was their goal. 

wtf?! the theme might be the same but that doesn't mean its a rehash. Its not like they took all of their stuff from GW1 and plastered it in this event and called it done. Read the details.

• cgniuscgnius Member Posts: 18
    Looking forward to doing this event. Hoping that it will renew my enthusiasm for the game
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

I dont see this as nerfing legendarys at all, really legendarys dont have any better stats then crafted exotics do as far as Min/Max damage, and while you can choose which stat combo exotic you want, you cant do the same with legendarys, and lets face it, the stat combo on the legendarys usualy arnt the ideal ones, turning them into just skins to be used on exotics.

Now if you look what you need to get a legendary it isnt worth the money just to use the skin, especially with alot of the legendarys not even looking good. So I say hoorah to them making them accesible to those who want the legendary skins, Anet's games have always had a huge Vanity player base and this will make alot of people happy, and those who dont care about looks like myself wont be affected at all.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

yes_YES....AND YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OCT 22!!!!! has arrived!-not that it really needed this-the game is flawles thus far,  but nice to see new events and such!

-ty Anet!

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Czanrei

Some people cannot be pleased I guess......I hope you can enjoy some other game instead...

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    I just wish the game was actually fun, because this event looks awesome. It's not enough to get me to log in, however.

That's exactly how I feel. 

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I logged in today after taking a break for a week and I can't find anything or any sign of this holiday patch.  Anyone have any clues on what I'm missing here?
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    I logged in today after taking a break for a week and I can't find anything or any sign of this holiday patch.  Anyone have any clues on what I'm missing here?

hasn't started yet

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

hasn't started yet

That would explain why I couldn't find anything. :P Thanks for the information. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Awesome cant wait to get ingame to try this stuff out.  Really happy with how Anet does content and listens to their playerbase.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

still not sure what time this is starting.. anyone here an official time?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cattywhompuscattywhompus Member Posts: 52
    Per their Twitch stream earlier, they said it should be up sometime this afternoon/evening.  I was thinking even that was too early, as most of their updates seem to happen between 11-midnight PST...
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/halloween/Release-time-Halloween/page/2

The email blast that went out earlier is quite correct. Due to differences with timezones the event starts past midnight (this evening) for European players, the event starts worldwide at the same time. Obviously this means that it will run until the 2nd of November (again due to timezone differences)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Awesome, can't wait for the event to start! Im a bit sad to see they are planning on nerfing legendaries though. I thought it was fine to have something that seems very far away and hard to get in the game, its not like the game is catered to hardcore players so having something be "hardcore" was fresh.

I agree. It looks like alts would be the only thing people can have as a long term goal with this change.
    Originally posted by Tayah

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/halloween/Release-time-Halloween/page/2

The email blast that went out earlier is quite correct. Due to differences with timezones the event starts past midnight (this evening) for European players, the event starts worldwide at the same time. Obviously this means that it will run until the 2nd of November (again due to timezone differences)

ahh okay thanks... ohwell guess ill wait till tomorow after work then