Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Elder Scrolls Online: The Comprehensive Preview

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

What a mess.

Sorry but this article not only didn't made me change my mind but confirmed all my fears.

This is going to be another of those 1 month wonder themeparks. Not good enough.

-SWTOR story system? No thanks

-GW2 Quest system? No thanks

-Phasing? No thanks

-MegaServer plus Facebook, Google+ and all that plastic Social features? No thanks

-Switching Classes at will? No thanks (forgot what is an RPG, Zenimax/Bethesda?)

-Any hint of a Sandbox feature? Not even one.

But the real questions are:

1- Is crafting focal to this game like in every TES?

2- Is the combat in First person or at least a close third person (character can't see behind his back) like in every TES?

3- Personal Storyline is secondary to Exploration like in every TES? ( Storyline has never been important in TES, sorry to tell you that Bill, you are confusing TES with Dragon Age)

4- Are you free to play the game the way you want it, like in every TES?

The answers to those question so far is a big NO, so to me not only this is not going to be a good TES game, but another boring and shallow Themepark.

This game has nothing new to bring to the MMO industry while at the same time it has the power to kill the TES IP.

Zenimax should do the same as SoE did (with EQnext) scrapping this game and rebuild it to be a real TES game with "some" sandbox features, or it will fail badly.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    I dont hope for anything till i see it live
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Did they talk at all about a summoning class? Love my Daedras!

Not much!  We saw the Sorcerer being played (HERE), but only two classes were available to play for press.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    fantastic, thanks a lot!
    Originally posted by ste2000

2- Is the combat in First person or at least a close third person (character can't see behind his back) like in every TES?

3- Personal Storyline is secondary to Exploration like in every TES? ( Storyline has never been important in TES, sorry to tell you that Bill, you are confusing TES with Dragon Age)

The answers to those question so far is a big NO, so to me not only this is not going to be a good TES game, but another boring and shallow Themepark.

1.) We're only told "yes".  But we have to wait and see.  Considering the wealth of crafting mats we found in houses, the world, in crates, boxes, barrels, etc.  It seems to be leaning this way.

2.) Very close third-person, over the shoulder view, or you can pull out.  Rumor is they're working on first-person.

3.) You can completely ignore the personal story-line.  And just do random quests you stumble upon.  You'll likely WANT to eventually do it.  But after the intro, you're free to do what you want.  Or so so we're told.

4.) Yes. You pick a class, but the depth of customization within each is insane. Think Oblivion, in that you pick a class and then customize it. It would be great if you could "create your own class", but that's not happening.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Garrett or Bill can you explain the class you mentioned:  "Dragonknight (fire, brimstone, and badassery)."

Cause it sounds as if it is a Fire based hybrid class?  If so I will be in frickkin heaven (unless they implement a Necromancer/warlock hybrid with Death and Decay spells).  I know basically every class can use any weapon so in a sense they could be hybrid, but does this Dragonknight feels and plays like a true melee/magic hybrid?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by winter

hard to have a uneducated opinion when the information is right there.

1) classes. no unlike Elder scroll games you will not be able to make your character and grow the way you want to instead you are forced into restrictive classes.

2) factions: Yep choose your race and then be forced into a faction weither you like the factions goals and agnda or not. Want to explore and see the whole world Well better be ready to roll and play 3 characters one for each faction. sure exploration will be great if you don't mind being limited to only a 3rd of the world per character.

3) Facebook? really......

4) Zergfeast anyone. yes you don't nee to talk to anyone you'll automatically be grouped with everyone in the area and eberyone wins no matter what one is or isn't doing during the DE. yep I know some really love this in GW2 personally  IMO it makes for a much less social game where everyones only in it for themselves YMMV.

5) Hotbars? Really Skyrim did great without them but MMO ESO must have tyhem because well its a MMo and all MMO's must have hotbars right?

Sorry theres some interesting bits but this does not live up to the Elder scrolls name so far and I'm not so quick to drink the same Hype koolaid that MMORPG puts out for every game with a decent advertising budget released. (SW:TOE, GW2, TSW, TERA, Darkfall, LOTRO etc etc etc. Its MMORPG.COMS job to hype games and so they do, but it doesn't mean all gamers have to buy all the hype, or that those that don't instantly go all glowy over ever game soon to be released are haters

They don't have hotbars but what they have is very similar. You still have skills and spells you just need to "equip" it. Its still hotkey based so its really not that different, what they have to watch out for is not having the combat be hotbar based and instead have it be more situational like in the TESO games.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey Wookie,

Yeah, definitely has classes.  Which I can understand lamenting, but I think once you see how much each class can be tailored you'll be pleased with the diversity.  It uses the single-hotbar design and entails so many different skills across armor, weapons, and class choice that you really will be a unique character even if you are called a "Dragonknight" or whatnot.

How on earth can you say this when in your own articale you state that in the build played this wasn't the case? So they say the game will have character customization in spades then have you play a build that has little to no character customization and you you buy the line sight unseen, or are you just not telling us how you know the game will character customization in spades as you put it?

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Some promising stuff there, but the big part of ES is still missing - player generated content. In that I mean, housing and other options that should be in a pseudo-sandbox game like ESO. ESO is the perfect venue to put in player cities and even player created quests. Let's say a player is a master blacksmith, but not very good at combat. He/she should be able to create a (re)quest for other players to harvest a certain ore in a dangerous mountain. In turn, said blacksmith can put up a certain amount of gold to pay for the questors' troubles (the gold pool the blacksmith creates determines howmany players can accept this quest). Maybe as part of the reward the blacksmith can throw in one of their goods. 

The point is that the writers of this article are kind of missing the point of the ES, and Zenimax ironically enough is also missing the point. ES is about players making their own stories and virtual lives in the ES world. Most people don't even bother with the main storyline and just pursue exploring, buidling up their houses, creating noteriety, and the plethora of side quests that helps define their character. ES should be a sandbox, not a themepark. ES has always been referred to as a massively single player game, but Zenimax seems hellbent on making ESO a themepark like any other themepark, but with very little ES dressing.

I have a very strong feeling ESO will become the next SWTOR, overhype and big letdown included.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Making an mmo like a single player rpg never works, the minute he said phasing i lost interest.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Certainly sounds a lot better than it was a few months ago.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

sounds promising- if it has the 'Skyrim' look and feel, I will def dab into it come release date!

somethings sound impressive.

-nice review read.

hard to have a uneducated opinion when the information is right there.

1) classes. no unlike Elder scroll games you will not be able to make your character and grow the way you want to instead you are forced into restrictive classes.

2) factions: Yep choose your race and then be forced into a faction weither you like the factions goals and agnda or not. Want to explore and see the whole world Well better be ready to roll and play 3 characters one for each faction. sure exploration will be great if you don't mind being limited to only a 3rd of the world per character.

3) Facebook? really......

4) Zergfeast anyone. yes you don't nee to talk to anyone you'll automatically be grouped with everyone in the area and eberyone wins no matter what one is or isn't doing during the DE. yep I know some really love this in GW2 personally  IMO it makes for a much less social game where everyones only in it for themselves YMMV.

5) Hotbars? Really Skyrim did great without them but MMO ESO must have tyhem because well its a MMo and all MMO's must have hotbars right?

Sorry theres some interesting bits but this does not live up to the Elder scrolls name so far and I'm not so quick to drink the same Hype koolaid that MMORPG puts out for every game with a decent advertising budget released. (SW:TOE, GW2, TSW, TERA, Darkfall, LOTRO etc etc etc. Its MMORPG.COMS job to hype games and so they do, but it doesn't mean all gamers have to buy all the hype, or that those that don't instantly go all glowy over ever game soon to be released are haters

No SKyrim did not do great without them.  Skyrims combat sucked as does all combat in TES RPG's.

I am sorry but beinbg limited to left and right mouse clicking for combat might be fun to you, but as an MMO, you need SKILLS AND ABILITIES, and the hotbar is the only effective and easily accessible way to grant them.  SUre you could do like SKyrim and press sprint + Forward for a power attack, or strafe left/right for a side swing, but that is BORING and stupid.  Hotbars are the best PERIOD.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Did they get rid of instances yet?
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Garrett or Bill can you explain the class you mentioned:  "Dragonknight (fire, brimstone, and badassery)."

Cause it sounds as if it is a Fire based hybrid class?  If so I will be in frickkin heaven (unless they implement a Necromancer/warlock hybrid with Death and Decay spells).  I know basically every class can use any weapon so in a sense they could be hybrid, but does this Dragonknight feels and plays like a true melee/magic hybrid?

It is. The main role I played was with Heavy Armor so it was more of tanking class.  I used a shield at first, then switched to a two-handed sword, and tried dual-wield.  They all played differently, and unlock different weapon-based skills.

The class itself has spells that involve mostly "tank-like" effects.  Armor upgrades, AOE fire-damage (you basically set yourself on fire with dragon armor that burns everyone around you) and a sort of thorns armor.  The team told me that you'll wind up getting skills that do everything from DPS focus to damage mitigation, and even healing so you can perform all three roles based on your choice of load-out.

In this way, it's kind of Guild Wars 2-ish, or TSW-ish.

But yes, what I played of the DK was VERY fire-based. We'll have a full preview of the class later this week.

My Review Manifesto

Hey Wookie,

Yeah, definitely has classes.  Which I can understand lamenting, but I think once you see how much each class can be tailored you'll be pleased with the diversity.  It uses the single-hotbar design and entails so many different skills across armor, weapons, and class choice that you really will be a unique character even if you are called a "Dragonknight" or whatnot.

How on earth can you say this when in your own articale you state that in the build played this wasn't the case? So they say the game will have character customization in spades then have you play a build that has little to no character customization and you you buy the line sight unseen, or are you just not telling us how you know the game will character customization in spades as you put it?

Everything but the armor was usable by every class in this build.  And we could see each armor, weapon-type, and stat progression, plus our class' skill progression.  I wish they'd have given us some of the UI to show you, but it was off limits.

My Review Manifesto

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    [mod edit]

I think if any gaming site was as bitter and negative as many players on this site, NO company would ever give them any exclusive info or any info at all. I can see your article now:

TESO we played for 3 hours, it was fun but I think the games gonna suck anyways and I don't wanna get my hopes up. You shouldn't either.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    *wipes tear* That sounds beautiful *sniff* *wipes eye* Thanks Bill. *sniff*
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

It is. The main role I played was with Heavy Armor so it was more of tanking class.  I used a shield at first, then switched to a two-handed sword, and tried dual-wield.  They all played differently, and unlock different weapon-based skills.

The class itself has spells that involve mostly "tank-like" effects.  Armor upgrades, AOE fire-damage (you basically set yourself on fire with dragon armor that burns everyone around you) and a sort of thorns armor.  The team told me that you'll wind up getting skills that do everything from DPS focus to damage mitigation, and even healing so you can perform all three roles based on your choice of load-out.

In this way, it's kind of Guild Wars 2-ish, or TSW-ish.

But yes, what I played of the DK was VERY fire-based. We'll have a full preview of the class later this week.

AWESOME!

Is it the end o 2013 yet.  Screw hype I dont care, your site, as well as massively's and Zam's article has me even more convinced.  Great news indeed and I could care less if I hype the game so haters beware, this is my game.  As much as I love GW2 (and I do ALOT) I could easily see TESO taking its place.  Only a few things I am worried about but as they say the positives outweighs the negatives.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Sounds interesting. Seems like the game I was hoping GW2 would be. I'm wondering now, with the way combat is set up, if they are going to be aiming for an eventual console release too?
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Let the hype begin.

In 2013, three months after release we will get a "why it failed" feature/editorial.

It keeps happening bro, I told you about the hype bro. I told you.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I'm on board.. Not a "perfect" Elder Scrolls conversion, but they did enough things to make it both comfortable to standard MMO fans and sorta familiar to Elder Scrolls fans as well..

I've got my eye on you... ...

• KoddoKoddo Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Kingmob23
    Sounds interesting. Seems like the game I was hoping GW2 would be. I'm wondering now, with the way combat is set up, if they are going to be aiming for an eventual console release too?

I would say "not likely". Unless they can squeeze M$ cajones in some way, they won't get to run a server on the xbox with primary control and the players playing with those on another console or the pc. And $ony will be giving very little to no help to Zenimax to get it to run the way they'd want it to, on the ps3 (though they would be able to allow the ps3 players to play with the pc players at least).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The pen is mightier than the sword, and authority is mightier than the pen, but the sword is mightier than authority.

If you can't beat 'em, hold 'em off 'till you come up with a better plan.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I'm not comfortable at all with this game.  Although the review is great, it just doesn't feel like TES.  I'm afraid that it will become another expensive generic waste of time.  I've always enjoyed the elder scrolls games but this one is too far away from what defined the IP for me.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by ste2000

1.) We're only told "yes".  But we have to wait and see.  Considering the wealth of crafting mats we found in houses, the world, in crates, boxes, barrels, etc.  It seems to be leaning this way.

2.) Very close third-person, over the shoulder view, or you can pull out.  Rumor is they're working on first-person.

3.) You can completely ignore the personal story-line.  And just do random quests you stumble upon.  You'll likely WANT to eventually do it.  But after the intro, you're free to do what you want.  Or so so we're told.

4.) Yes. You pick a class, but the depth of customization within each is insane. Think Oblivion, in that you pick a class and then customize it. It would be great if you could "create your own class", but that's not happening.

There's no excuse that ES can't have players create their own class. UO has been basically allowing players to do just that for 15 years. TES is skill based. ESO should be skills based. Locking players into classes just further emphasises how far astray ESO will be from an TES game. How often does history have to repeat itself before devs wake up? That's the true problem with the MMORPG genre - devs are insane expecting different results after repeating the mistakes every other dev has done in the past.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.