Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Marvel Heroes: Handling the Heroes at NYCC

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Our own Christina Gonzalez got her mitts on Gazillion's Marvel Heroes during NYCC this year. After killing baddies with Storm, Deadpool, and Iron Man this is what she had to report. TLDR version? It's a ton of fun. Go forth and read more!

Let me get this out of the way – the game is fun. Oh, there’s definitely obvious influence from other games such as Marvel Ultimate Alliance and of course, Diablo, but goes a little beyond that in incorporating much from the Marvel universe and a brand new story from Brian Michael Bendis. They are indeed launching a new story unique to the game that will center on Doctor Doom and the Cosmic Cube. Gameplay involves moving with the mouse and right or left clicking to use primary attacks, but there are also several skills you level up and unlock that you can slot in your skill bar however you’d like and activate with the keyboard.

Read the rest of Christina Gonzalez' Marvel Heroes: Handling the Heroes at NYCC.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    how are the graphics? if the graphics are as pathetic as CO or COH than i will pass this game
  • bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

its not a frikking mmorpg.

its a frikking arcade game.

please insert coin to play...

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    how are the graphics? if the graphics are as pathetic as CO or COH than i will pass this game

Considering when those games came out, they are still pretty good. However seeing as comics is the theme, the graphics will probably be much the same.

I just hate the fact they want me to play marvel toons, as oppose to creating my own....MMO console game....

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Hello, i'm here to promote my new mmo, it's working name is overcooked ass but i'm also thinking of calling it butt-bacon online or maybe Marvel Superheroes. Oh that one one is taken?Darn.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

If you want graphics, I hear there is a game called 'real life'. They say it has amazing graphics, just like real...

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I'm not seeing MMO here.  Just looks like a Superhero version of Diablo 3.

Blah... Pass.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Did this get posted in a section of the forum only read by people who re-use lines from months ago?
  • thakursethakurse Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by vgamer
    If you want graphics, I hear there is a game called 'real life'. They say it has amazing graphics, just like real...

good one

• The_FranchiseThe_Franchise Member Posts: 8

I have hands on experience with this game.  If you've ever played Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the consoles that is exactly what this is.  Throw in zones where you can play with a lot of people and theres the MMO portion of it.

Best way to describe it since not everyone is verse on games...it is a super hero diablo 3

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985

If this is a MMO so is LFD. I really think this is one to skip, nothing I have heard has made it seem worthwhile. Maybe as a game like LFD it will be worth a knock around, but thats about it.

This is just the sort of ultra casual game that I think is in the process of killing of MMO's as a genre. So when we end up with just "MMO's" like this coming out, don't say you were not warned.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Is this an MMO? Lately 4-8 player games are being considered MMO on this website, this one doesn't appear to be massive at all.... I could be wrong. But my assumption stems from all the information that I have read about the game so far.

I am sure it will still be a fun game... but it doesn't sound like a long term game so far.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by vgamer

Wow dude... that is so clever!!!! In the 14 years I've been on various forums discussing MMO's I have NEVER read a comment like that. It has to be the first time. I swear, where were you all these years? The world has been severely lacking without your quick wit. Is that something you had to stay up and write? Did it take long or are you naturally gifted? You could probably write for a TV show. I assume you have other works of such originality, please post them here. I bet Oprah has already made them part of her book club too. Incredible... I am keeping my eye on you!!!

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

~.~ this is diablo 3 if it had been made by the guy who made diablo 1 and 2

to anyone complaning about the graphics this is going to be a top down view  its not like your going to see tons of details while playing it

• VrmithraxVrmithrax Member UncommonPosts: 17
    So this is basically a massively multiplayer version of Freedom Force, as far as I can see.  Which, I'll be honest, isn't a bad thing - I loved Freedom Force!

Sig? I don't need no stinking sig!

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by Scot

If this is a MMO so is LFD. I really think this is one to skip, nothing I have heard has made it seem worthwhile. Maybe as a game like LFD it will be worth a knock around, but thats about it.

This is just the sort of ultra casual game that I think is in the process of killing of MMO's as a genre. So when we end up with just "MMO's" like this coming out, don't say you were not warned.

Then how about you put your money where your mouth is? There are plenty of indie MMOs trying to make their presence, which aren't your run-of-mill MMOs that the mainstream has been producing. Check some of them out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg?ref=category

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reloadedprod/hailan-rising?ref=category

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1045484633/project-gorgon-an-indie-mmo-by-industry-veterans?ref=category

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by bakabröd

its not a frikking mmorpg.

its a frikking arcade game.

please insert coin to play... --> (please have Internet to play)

fixed

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    I have actually been having a lot of fun Playing Marvel Super Hero Squad Online with my Daughter the last month or two, im not sure why it is so much fun but I think part of it is the ability to switch between Heroes (I have 12 in my current squad) so given its lineage I expect that Marvel Heroes Should be equally fun.
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Christina - just a correction to your article, I am pretty sure Marvel Super Hero Squad Online uses the Unity engine not Unreal 3.
  • RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144
    -.- wow this is dumb, the chance for an awsome super hero mmorpg, but no company can get it right.  thanks for putting out yet another fail game.

Kick to the Face.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I'm sorry, but we cannot compare this to CoH, Champions Online or even DC Universe Online..

This is obviously in the same vein as Diablo, Torchlight and Path of Exile.. Sure, it has super heroes but the gameplay vastly differs from each of the others to be fairly matched up..

Just like you wouldn't compare MechCommander to the standard Mechwarrior games..

All in all though, it looks like it could be a fun experience.. Hopefully with more replayability than I got out of Diablo III..

Slightly makes me think of that old gem "Freedom Force" for the PC.. (grin)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

I'm not seeing MMO here.  Just looks like a Superhero version of Diablo 3.

Blah... Pass.

I believe this is what it is.. but D3 is on here as wel as other non mmo games so i guess thats why its here..

Even tho its not a true mmorpg i still like the sound of the game :) i always liked the diablo style game. tho i dont like d3 lol..

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    everything i've seen of this game so far, just not impressed, i guess the next thing will be multiplayer tekken or something, even DCUO allowed you to create your own superhero, that you can't do that with the marvel one just seems.. meh.. not sure its worth column inches let alone cash to pay for it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by blognorg
    Originally posted by Scot

Then how about you put your money where your mouth is? There are plenty of indie MMOs trying to make their presence, which aren't your run-of-mill MMOs that the mainstream has been producing. Check some of them out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg?ref=category

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reloadedprod/hailan-rising?ref=category

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1045484633/project-gorgon-an-indie-mmo-by-industry-veterans?ref=category

Come on, most kickstarter games, especially MMO',s are just a wish and a prayer.  Most will never see the computer screen.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985

I don't see the solution coming from Indie games, but we could get a title that really catches on, that could shake things up. Freedom Force was a great game, if this is anyhting like that might give it a go. But it is not a MMO, I don t mind the site having articles on non MMO games as long as they make it clear it is co-op.

• tibiritibiri Member Posts: 5
    Hope graphics and system of play will be cool, if anyone knows or probe this , please guide us a little more.