Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Ohh.....I can't resist.....

Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it isn't a good one.  image

I would imagine he means "better" in his opinion. Although considering the poster, maybe not. (I joke ofc).

Yeah, I was just messing with him since he's said the same to me when I've slammed another game.

Mark my words, if a game comes that has better space combat and PvE content, it would undoubtedly grab much of Eve's players. Afterall, it is hardly a stretch to imagine better systems for both (if you have played other games). See how the economy runs then.

Eve's position is quite fragile the way I see it. Again, one serious competitor.

Star Citizen, altho 2014.. can't wait for that baby!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Jumpgate, dark prophesy, swg sorta.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by defector1968

isnt the only space flight sim MMO so far?

thats the reason then

Only survivor actually, there were others, Jumpgate, SWG, Earth and Beyond, but they all faded into history leaving only EVE to carry on the legacy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by generals3

Mark my words, if a game comes that has better space combat and PvE content, it would undoubtedly grab much of Eve's players. Afterall, it is hardly a stretch to imagine better systems for both (if you have played other games). See how the economy runs then.

Eve's position is quite fragile the way I see it. Again, one serious competitor.

I beg to differ. While EVE does have some lackings in certain aspects of the game there is just so much to do that it totally overcompensates for it. What EVE managed to do is synch all the aspects of the game perfectly and i doubt any game will soon come which can accomplish the same. And if DUST succeeds it would an other layer of depth to eve.

I don't think overcompensation is a good thing. Anyway. trading will never compensate for a combat system. Not for everyone.

Except that EVE is so much more than just 3 systems (combat mechanics, PVE or trading) in fact it might have 10, 15 or more depending how you decide to slice/dice them.

Say someone basically creates a space MMO that virtually mimics Wing Commander, then what?  What about the PVP mechanics, what about things such as mining, exploration, wormholes, incursions, war deccing, suicide ganking, scamming, market trading, etc etc etc. Never forget the real time training of skills (something  many of us love in EVE due to our casual game play styles).  Will the new title have PLEX to fund activities as well?

Point is, EVE is far more complicated and deep than I think you realize (you really don't give CCP enough credit IMO) so any new title is going to run into the same issue that people competing with WOW do, it's impossible to launch with anything near the features and functionalty that CCP has built into EVE over the years.

While it would be fun for a while to mess around in a new space sim, it would quickly pale in the face of EVE's greater metagame which is actually more important to most EVE players than the actual gameplay/mechanics themeselves.

Sure, EVE may sag some, but it won't go away, like so many titles before it, there will never be anything truly like it ever again, and as long as the player base/CCP continue to support it expect it to survive 10 more years.

My intention was not to imply that there's only three systems in Eve; however, I don't think it is practical to count systems like the way you do.

When I talk about combat I talk about all combat in the game. PvE and PvP in all their forms. When I talk about economy and manufacturing, its about every way you can craft and sell items. Many Eve's systems are a collection of minigames each not much deeper than say tic-tac-toe, or simply calculating profit margins (which is not hard).

But this leads to a more fundamental question wether you think that combinining multiple shallow games makes one deep one.

Its a collection of interconnected shallow systems. And no, I don't think it is that much greater than the sum of its parts.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

The simple fact that there hasn't been any serious competition to Eve since its launch and there is nothing better. This doesn't make Eve good - just better than the rest.

EDIT: In its niche, that is.

That's it in a nutshell. 

Other things I like are that if sufficient people amass sufficient resources, ships and technology they can take over entire star systems... but then the real trick is to hold them!  The game has a complex learning curve compared to the elf-humping MMOs (I wouldn't say a steep one) and nothing is handed to you on a plate.  You want something, you work for it. 

Eve has the ONLY PvP system I have any respect for.  Any other MMO I have tried has, essentially, carebear PvP which has neither sufficient risk or sufficient rewards to bother with.  I don't want crappy tokens or leaderboards - I want to take EVERYTHING the loser has in the way of salvage.  If I lose - and I have many times! - I just grit my teeth, take the losses and plan revenge...

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Because EvE is real.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

thats the reason then

Only survivor actually, there were others, Jumpgate, SWG, Earth and Beyond, but they all faded into history leaving only EVE to carry on the legacy.

• Vendetta Online
    • Celetania
    • ACE Online
    • Pirate Galaxy
    • Taikodom
    • Shores of Hazeron
    • Black Prophecy
    • Dark Orbit
    • Star Trek Online
    • Starquest Online
    Some more to add to the list, most of which are still running.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

thats the reason then

• Vendetta Online
    • Celetania
    • ACE Online
    • Pirate Galaxy
    • Taikodom
    • Shores of Hazeron
    • Black Prophecy
    • Dark Orbit
    • Star Trek Online
    • Starquest Online
    Some more to add to the list, most of which are still running.

OK, OK, I didn't think that through very well, but outside of Star Trek Online, how many of those really have any substantial populations? 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

My intention was not to imply that there's only three systems in Eve; however, I don't think it is practical to count systems like the way you do.

When I talk about combat I talk about all combat in the game. PvE and PvP in all their forms. When I talk about economy and manufacturing, its about every way you can craft and sell items. Many Eve's systems are a collection of minigames each not much deeper than say tic-tac-toe, or simply calculating profit margins (which is not hard).

But this leads to a more fundamental question wether you think that combinining multiple shallow games makes one deep one.

Its a collection of interconnected shallow systems. And no, I don't think it is that much greater than the sum of its parts.

troll/10

No, I don't think he's trolling, but I just don't agree with his assessment that it's a collection of shallow mini-games.

Look at PVE, there's mission running, incursions, wormholes, complexes to name a few, all quite different and challenging in their own way.  I assume he thinks they are all simple and the same but I don't understand why, I view them otherwise.

Same for most everything else in EVE, the industry is very interconnected and complex, from the mining, to the refining, to the actual blueprints, manufacturing, distribution and what not. 

They really are a sum of their parts, end to end it's a pretty complex system and it works pretty well together IMO. 

Just look at how many game guides have been written on literally every aspect of EVE, I doubt there's many (if any) other titles with as much documenatation created about it, which does tend to point to the argument it's a pretty detailed and comnplex game.

But he disagrees, we'll never see it the same way that's for certain.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

troll/10

No, I don't think he's trolling, but I just don't agree with his assessment that it's a collection of shallow mini-games.

Look at PVE, there's mission running, incursions, wormholes, complexes to name a few, all quite different and challenging in their own way.  I assume he thinks they are all simple and the same but I don't understand why, I view them otherwise.

Same for most everything else in EVE, the industry is very interconnected and complex, from the mining, to the refining, to the actual blueprints, manufacturing, distribution and what not. 

They really are a sum of their parts, end to end it's a pretty complex system and it works pretty well together IMO. 

Just look at how many game guides have been written on literally every aspect of EVE, I doubt there's many (if any) other titles with as much documenatation created about it, which does tend to point to the argument it's a pretty detailed and comnplex game.

But he disagrees, we'll never see it the same way that's for certain.

Pretty much every single complex system which is built upon interlinked mechanics/systems are built up by more simplistic/basic components. So the whole "shallow to make a system" case is redundant. Moreover the case can be levelled at every game and every system.

Furthermore the use of "minigame" seems badly abused here, considering minigame traditonally means something of an easter egg which is standalone from the core gameplay mechanics and the core game world.

So all in all, I hope to christ is was an attempt at trolling.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Nothing that keeps me playing.

PVE combat is super boring and easy. It wasn't fun in the trial so i bailed.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online has a substantial population and has been growing, particularly with the advent of the mobile build.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.

Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.

This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most gankers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

Fixed that for you. Gate Campers aren't looking for PvP, or they wouldn't be jumping people - very likely PvE'ers  - at warp gates, attempting to get a one-sided fight. They'd be PvP'ing.

It's part of the game and I'm not complaining about it. But let's call it what it really is.

Ganking and PvP are not the same thing, in any PvP MMO. The former implies an encounter where one side is pretty much guaranteed to lose unless they can escape. The latter implies competition where both people are engaged in the combat.

You really don't understand EVE do you?  It's not all about "fair" PVP, it's about winning and winning big.  If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing something terribly wrong.

If you liken in it more to the stakes in real world war and not to real world sports you'll get the correct mindset.

There's no quarter to be given and no honor in losing fairly.......

This, I have a friend who was in the US Marines who uses a sig quote he picked up during his time there.

“If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, it is because your tactics suck.” - First Sergeant Jim Reifinger, RET

Eve is a game where you fight to win, to gain something and so you don't lose everything, it's hard to understand if you play arena PvP where win or lose nothing changes.

• CranktrainCranktrain Member Posts: 25

I love reading these stories of what high-level (high risk) play in Eve is like, but I've failed multiple times to get through the first few hours. I know there's exciting gameplay past it, but I just can't force my way through!

It's going to be one of those games that I love to read about, but will never experience for myself, like Dwarf Fortress.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

The biggest thing that keeps me playing Eve again and again is that there have been logistical challenges I've had to overcome - not prescripted either, fate just dumped them on my lap one day - that had a level of complexity and uniqueness that when they were over I literally sat back and said "Did I seriously just go through that in a videogame?!"

Being the only cloaked cargo hauler for a wormhole corp to haul out valuable salvage and haul in the critical components of POS fuel that we didn't have the planets in the WH to manufacture (plus assorted other supplies/ammo that we needed), and the WH was a class 3 which meant its exit (that I often had to scan down myself) was most often deep in pirate infested Lowsec so dodging gate camps became almost a daily occurence...

A do or die escape run out of Nullsec after the system my ship was docked in was taken over by an enemy alliance, so I would not be able to re-dock after I left and I only had a brief window where I was able to refit my non-ideal ship to give it more of a chance of surviving that run, AND I had to try and take some valuable salvage from a corp-mate's ship that I had picked up after he had been blown up in a POS bash a few days earlier...

During a hisec war, secretly using a network of locator agents to pin down the location of a war target, then with buddies hunt him down and fry his ass without him ever seeing us coming...

These kinds of things just don't happen in other MMOs. They don't. I've looked. Those kinds of utterly off-the-wall logistical challenges that come out of nowhere and slap you in the face, and then the feeling you get when you successfully overcome them (or at least get very close and get a rush anyways, as was the case with that do or die escape run) are why I still play Eve. I do take the occasional breaks from it as too much of anything gets tiring after a while, but it will always keep calling me back.

Eve Online Forever!

Where's the any key?

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

It is an awesome sandbox but sadly, I can not seem to stay interested in it for more than a few months at a time.  I have subbed to it 4 different times starting in 2005 but each time, after a few months it just loses my interest.  I am guessing the fact that most things take more time than other games is what finally does me in.  What to fight someone, find a fleet, wait while fleet forms, wait while flying 15 jumps, land into system with bigger blob than you, run away. 

If you have the time, it is a truely awesome game of possibilities.  If you have a RL, family/kids and fulltime job and can not devote more than 10 or so hours per week to game, you wont get a whole lot of enjoyment out of it after the newness wears off.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Talonsin

If you have the time, it is a truely awesome game of possibilities.  If you have a RL, family/kids and fulltime job and can not devote more than 10 or so hours per week to game, you wont get a whole lot of enjoyment out of it after the newness wears off.

this is false. many paths can be played casually. things like diplomacy or crafting or planetary interaction...

all depends on what you want to get out of that game and with who you are playing.

I can play 1hr/week doing trades and earn lots of money, do my thing or I can devote my time 7d/week to my pvp alliance in 0.0 who want me in their fleets every moment of the day.

The game doesn't dictate how you play, it's the player who decides that.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.

Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.

This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most gankers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

Fixed that for you. Gate Campers aren't looking for PvP, or they wouldn't be jumping people - very likely PvE'ers  - at warp gates, attempting to get a one-sided fight. They'd be PvP'ing.

It's part of the game and I'm not complaining about it. But let's call it what it really is.

Ganking and PvP are not the same thing, in any PvP MMO. The former implies an encounter where one side is pretty much guaranteed to lose unless they can escape. The latter implies competition where both people are engaged in the combat.

You really don't understand EVE do you?  It's not all about "fair" PVP, it's about winning and winning big.  If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing something terribly wrong.

If you liken in it more to the stakes in real world war and not to real world sports you'll get the correct mindset.

There's no quarter to be given and no honor in losing fairly.......

This, I have a friend who was in the US Marines who uses a sig quote he picked up during his time there.

“If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, it is because your tactics suck.” - First Sergeant Jim Reifinger, RET

Eve is a game where you fight to win, to gain something and so you don't lose everything, it's hard to understand if you play arena PvP where win or lose nothing changes.

Tell your friend that an old Navy Chief said that he still and always will concider One of Uncle Sams Misguided Childern a Department of the Navy. and also tell him how much time and money was spent on training there Recon how to swim.

" Charlie Mike "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

if you want to play eve, but find it too confusing / newb unfriendly at first, give perpetuum a try.  Its more PVE friendly (alpha isles are flag on pvp only, you can't get ganked), theres less players years ahead of you, and the controls are a bit easier if your used to standard mmos, wasd movement and what have you.

I mean eves better in many ways, because its bigger, more players = more content, more money behind it, bigger world, more variety of things to do, but i would say perpetuums better for miners / pure pveers, also the combat has some nice anti blob twists and use of terain.  EVE if politics, mass fights, complexity, sense of danger are your thing.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

Ive been playing eve since 2007. for me it has to be the endless possibilities in which you can choose and i mean litterally choose to play eve. there are no boundries or class restrictions. no level restricted items or areas. you can go and do anything you want right from the momment you start playing the game.

you can be anything you want, anything you can imagine.

pirate

miner

trader

soldier

fleet commander

corporation leader

alliance leader

assasin

explorer

banker

protector

mercenary

loan shark

scoundrel

theif

scammer

murderer

researcher

builder

player structures specialist

in charge of a small gang of elite pvpers

tactical planner

diplomat

politician

recruiter

covert operations

espionage

spying

or all of the above at the same time.

all of the above are sort after play styles in eve.

what ever you can think of you can apply it to eve.

also. you can build empires. or you can climb the ranks of a player empire and make your self well known and even famous in eve.

and you can also be a lone player doing your own things for your self. 

it truely is an amazing game. forget wow,sto,lotro,swg,swtor and all those other fancy looking games. they have absolutely nothing to offer you compaired to eve. once you have speant a year in eve, you will find it very difficult to enjoy another game. well i do.. i used to love those simplton games like wow and guildwars. sto city of heroes.. then i tried eve. and i havnt put it down since. seriously guys the games just genius.

i dont reccomend it to children, eve has a huge learning curve. and it takes time and patience to get into it. it also simulates real loss and violence. alot of anger in the game. alot of sickness too. so keep your kids away. unless you dont mind that kind of corruption.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Is real mistery to me what people find fun in EVE past first few hours of gameplay ... but I never wished doom to any game that was not to my liking. As said, ever game have somebody that love it, enjoy it a lot.
  • haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    The endless options at your disposal. I am playing on and off since 2005. I have yet to do about half the content available.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Isn't what "keeps most people playing" any game 'a temporary use for excess leisure time'?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Different reasons for different people. The only reason I play it off and on is because there isn't a good sci fi option out there. (I'm scared of elves!)

If EVE had dogfighting and not facerolling the number keys while you watch tv combat, I would write CCP a blank check. Other than that, it's the only real sandbox option out there.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I don't understand the appeal of the game, but I imagine it attracts people that are less interested in "gaming" and more interested in it as a hobby or competition.  What's really interesting about it is that it has an almost entirely adult playerbase, yet they all seem to have a 4chan-meets-CoD mentality.  A little funny and a little sad, but it seems to be the norm for PvP games.

I really wanted to enjoy it, but the thrill of traveling through space quickly died off as I started having to pay attention to things like approach speeds and all the spreadsheets the game has.  It's very heavily data-driven, which is the last thing I want to come home to after 10 or 12 hours of coding or systems analytics.

A good friend of mine plays it pretty heavily though, and it's really fun listening to him talk about the game.

You make me like charity