Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

Comments

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by johnjec

Thanks for all of the replies. In reading these posts there are two things that become apparent. First, when it comes to MMO's and PVP, I always picture a guy with a sword jumping over me, bunny hopping around trying to kill me. I don't think that is what EVE is about. I get the impetion that decisions have to be well thought out and personality does matter. Secondly, I also get the impretion that you guys are not 12 and 14 years old. Instead of being barraged my meaningless antics, it seems there is a level of maturity in this community. I'm also thinking that if there are indeed particular people in the game that control vast areas of space and wealth, it may also stand to reason that these people are probably a cut above the rest in real life. Is this possible? Jut my .02

I think so. The corporation that I am apart of is fairly small in EvE, but it's filled with professionals, most of whom have a degree, including myself. I'm not saying that these players are better than players in other games, but maybe more motivated?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    The thing for me in EVE is that there is constant skill progression and character progression, and that character/skill progression comes from time and learning not gear. Also, full loot pvp is amazing, that is all.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by 13lake

You could live your whole life just playing Eve Online, without ever having the need to spend a second in the real world :)

Dude, it's only a game.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    Originally posted by johnjec

Thanks for all of the replies. In reading these posts there are two things that become apparent. First, when it comes to MMO's and PVP, I always picture a guy with a sword jumping over me, bunny hopping around trying to kill me. I don't think that is what EVE is about. I get the impetion that decisions have to be well thought out and personality does matter. Secondly, I also get the impretion that you guys are not 12 and 14 years old. Instead of being barraged my meaningless antics, it seems there is a level of maturity in this community. I'm also thinking that if there are indeed particular people in the game that control vast areas of space and wealth, it may also stand to reason that these people are probably a cut above the rest in real life. Is this possible? Jut my .02

I think so. The corporation that I am apart of is fairly small in EvE, but it's filled with professionals, most of whom have a degree, including myself. I'm not saying that these players are better than players in other games, but maybe more motivated?

Well, just as one can be a criminal genius in real life, there are very brilliant but flawed individuals in EVE such as the Mitanni who runs the Goonswarm.  Quite powerful, but no one is nominating him for the Nobel prize in humanitarism. 

I have met more Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Military people and other professionals in EVE than any other MMORPG I've played and it definintely has limited appeal to teenagers (and women for some reason)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

You could live your whole life just playing Eve Online, without ever having the need to spend a second in the real world :)

Dude, it's only a game.

it's a little more. it's a virtual universe.

many people's lives are meaningless from end to end, particularly in ultra-poor regions of the world.... As long as he's happy in his game, what's it to you?

No life is ever meaningless...

...even if it sometimes seems that way.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Dude, it's only a game.

many people's lives are meaningless from end to end, particularly in ultra-poor regions of the world.... As long as he's happy in his game, what's it to you?

You should really pay a visit to Earth sometime. Stunningly beautiful planet, but holy hell what a text book example of overpopulation leading to the unfortunate side effect of not only meaningless, but unnecessary life. Apparently even their insects are laughing.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Dude, it's only a game.

You should really pay a visit to Earth sometime. Stunningly beautiful planet, but holy hell what a text book example of overpopulation leading to the unfortunate side effect of not only meaningless, but unnecessary life. Apparently even their insects are laughing.

Earth sucks, moved to Romulous the other day and let me tell you the Ale and the women whoooooo

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by Quirhid

The simple fact that there hasn't been any serious competition to Eve since its launch and there is nothing better. This doesn't make Eve good - just better than the rest.

EDIT: In its niche, that is.

Among all the mess this is the real answer.

• sekuharadaioosekuharadaioo Member Posts: 22
    EVE seems way too "Hardcore" to me. ;/

Games currently playing:
    ------------------------
    Pro Evolution Soccer
    World of Warcraft
    Light of Nova
    League of Legends

Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Gdemami

People do not play games because of sandbox or theme park label.

I know I don't. But some people do.

Its a shame there is no better space sim MMORPG. I've exhausted all my SPG options.

Ohh.....I can't resist.....

Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it isn't a good one.  image

I would imagine he means "better" in his opinion. Although considering the poster, maybe not. (I joke ofc).

Yeah, I was just messing with him since he's said the same to me when I've slammed another game.

GW2 perchance?

Oh, you know us BitterVets ™, we pretty much slam any title made after 2004, who can say?  image

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

1: total sandbox

2: do what you want

3: all kinds of 'professions'

4: everything's allowed.

5: no spoonfeeding by the devs.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by generals3

Mark my words, if a game comes that has better space combat and PvE content, it would undoubtedly grab much of Eve's players. Afterall, it is hardly a stretch to imagine better systems for both (if you have played other games). See how the economy runs then.

Eve's position is quite fragile the way I see it. Again, one serious competitor.

I beg to differ. While EVE does have some lackings in certain aspects of the game there is just so much to do that it totally overcompensates for it. What EVE managed to do is synch all the aspects of the game perfectly and i doubt any game will soon come which can accomplish the same. And if DUST succeeds it would an other layer of depth to eve.

I don't think overcompensation is a good thing. Anyway. trading will never compensate for a combat system. Not for everyone.

Except that EVE is so much more than just 3 systems (combat mechanics, PVE or trading) in fact it might have 10, 15 or more depending how you decide to slice/dice them.

Say someone basically creates a space MMO that virtually mimics Wing Commander, then what?  What about the PVP mechanics, what about things such as mining, exploration, wormholes, incursions, war deccing, suicide ganking, scamming, market trading, etc etc etc. Never forget the real time training of skills (something  many of us love in EVE due to our casual game play styles).  Will the new title have PLEX to fund activities as well?

Point is, EVE is far more complicated and deep than I think you realize (you really don't give CCP enough credit IMO) so any new title is going to run into the same issue that people competing with WOW do, it's impossible to launch with anything near the features and functionalty that CCP has built into EVE over the years.

While it would be fun for a while to mess around in a new space sim, it would quickly pale in the face of EVE's greater metagame which is actually more important to most EVE players than the actual gameplay/mechanics themeselves.

Sure, EVE may sag some, but it won't go away, like so many titles before it, there will never be anything truly like it ever again, and as long as the player base/CCP continue to support it expect it to survive 10 more years.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Muke

What this above means is : Most new folks are nothing more then Cannon Fodder. and gaint Gankfest unless your in a corp like GoonSquad who soul purpose is to ruin other folks gaming.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

What this above means is : Most new folks are nothing more then Cannon Fodder. and gaint Gankfest unless your in a corp like GoonSquad who soul purpose is to ruin other folks gaming.

LOL, know, like most things about EVE you misunderstand the Goons, they're merely trying to help you grow past your self imposed limitations and rigid thought processes.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

LOL, know, like most things about EVE you misunderstand the Goons, they're merely trying to help you grow past your self imposed limitations and rigid thought processes.

The Goons or looks like some of them are getting alot of attention now and not just in EvE.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Most new folks are nothing more then Cannon Fodder. and gaint Gankfest unless your in a corp like GoonSquad who soul purpose is to ruin other folks gaming.

Ummm no.

I fought Goons actually from their birth till this day.

But my post was merely that I create my own content, I do what I want, I can visit the region I want to live in, do business in....and noone's stopping me from playing the game I want to.

-No dev is saying: "hey, you've outgrown your Zone, move on to the next one".

-No dev is saying: "you MUST do raid content"

-No dev is saying: "you must wear a panda costume or play a elf"

-coming back to this game after 3 months away or longer doesnt make you 'weaker then the rest', like in certain other games which require you to grind grind grind or fall behind...

-the game is 100% free after a couple of months, if you use your brain.

Best of all is: it's fun, it requires you to actually THINK instead of playing a game with no risk (hiiiiii Blizzard).

And yes, some fmr Wow players who think they will make top of the ladder without risk and without effort will probably get taught a lesson.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

What makes Eve so good to me is that there is a true Sandbox enviroment.

-There is a very limited number of things the game lets people buy from NPC's, the vast majority of items are created and sold by players only. Market prices can flucuate radically as things go in and out of favor.

-The Skills system, allows players to rapidly get into play, to at least a minimal fashion. However to fully develop a character will take years, and not 2-3 years, but rather 8+ to learn all the skills they could. With only 1 char per account able to train at a time people from real attachments to their chars.

-A player can focus on any one of several fields, or try and be a generalist at THEIR choice. Corporation (guild) leaders need skills to run their corp. An industrialist can focus on sciences for R&D of blueprints for others to use, or be the one building the items as well. Players can focus on PvE pirate control and never visit Low Security space, just getting their bounties and staying mostly safe. Players can focus on combat roles and try and carve out an empire of their own in LowSec, prey on unsuspecting players that wander too deep, on engage in massive alliance on alliance wars.

-Even in combat there are roles for players to learn and focus on, it isn't just pure shoot'em up. Learn ECM/ECCM and Tackling for a role likened unto Crowd Control/Debuffing. Logictics ships provide group and targeted bonuses and provide repair in combat, for a role like Healer/Buffer. Combat ships can be close in knife fighters, or eventually fire from the extreme limits of sensor ranges. Perfect your defenses and play the bait, enticing others to try and jump you, only to be jumped by the rest of your Wolf Pack in turn.

Most games you are playing in the GM's world, doing things the Developers prescribed as "this far and no further", while in Eve the only limiter is what you want to acheive and the friends you make, as what you can acheive solo barely scratches what you can do with the right Fleet and Corp mates.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Karahandras

If you're looking for a space(or even sci-fi)mmo eve is the best there is.  If you can get into it(something i haven't been able to do) there is a lot of depth there, much more than any other mmo I've come across. 

Ignore the niche etc comments as it has more subs than most themeparks combined.

It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.

If you do try it don't skip reading the tutorials when they come up and try plenty of things out, it won't give you a full view of what's there but will give you a taste of things to come.

fyi people play eve for multiple years not just months.  Eve has aprox 450k subs with around 20% or so of them multiple accounts.

More subs than all themepark MMOs combined? You're joking, right?

WoW alone eclipses Eve's population many times over. SWTOR has more players by itself. And combining every themepark's population to compare against Eve's is like pitting an ant against a bus.

It would be more credible to say Eve has a higher population than all other sandbox MMOs combined.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Ignore the niche etc comments as it has more subs than most themeparks combined.

Oh wow. If someone didn't know any better they'd believe you.

There is only a handful of themeparks with more subscribers than EvE.

Ah, let's not spin this, okay?

He said "than most themeparks combined", not "than most themeparks". "Combined" drastically changes the meaning of his sentence.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Originally posted by aligada87

Eve Online is the true alternate life game, If ccp adds occulus rift support and leapmotion support in the game, as well as walking in stations, and walking on spaceships, Eve Online has the biggest chance to become the first Virtual Reality Game, like Sword Art Online, or what you see in accel world.

YOUR A DORK

Actually it is "You're a Dork".  If you are going to insult somebody with ALL CAPS, at least get the spelling/grammer somewhat correct.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

Originally posted by Zinzan

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.

Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.

This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most gankers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

Fixed that for you. Gate Campers aren't looking for PvP, or they wouldn't be jumping people - very likely PvE'ers  - at warp gates, attempting to get a one-sided fight. They'd be PvP'ing.

It's part of the game and I'm not complaining about it. But let's call it what it really is.

Ganking and PvP are not the same thing, in any PvP MMO. The former implies an encounter where one side is pretty much guaranteed to lose unless they can escape. The latter implies competition where both people are engaged in the combat.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

If you're looking for a space(or even sci-fi)mmo eve is the best there is.  If you can get into it(something i haven't been able to do) there is a lot of depth there, much more than any other mmo I've come across. 

It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.

If you do try it don't skip reading the tutorials when they come up and try plenty of things out, it won't give you a full view of what's there but will give you a taste of things to come.

fyi people play eve for multiple years not just months.  Eve has aprox 450k subs with around 20% or so of them multiple accounts.

More subs than all themepark MMOs combined? You're joking, right?

WoW alone eclipses Eve's population many times over. SWTOR has more players by itself. And combining every themepark's population to compare against Eve's is like pitting an ant against a bus.

It would be more credible to say Eve has a higher population than all other sandbox MMOs combined.

I'll bet that statement isn't true anymore, but hard to prove it since EA isn't going to share that info.

I'd venture to say EVE has more active subs than most other MMO's out there, perhaps even enough to put it in the top 4 or 5.

But it doesn't really matter, EVE has more than enough to keep going at the moment, which is all that matters in the long run.

Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.

Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.

This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most gankers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

Fixed that for you. Gate Campers aren't looking for PvP, or they wouldn't be jumping people - very likely PvE'ers  - at warp gates, attempting to get a one-sided fight. They'd be PvP'ing.

It's part of the game and I'm not complaining about it. But let's call it what it really is.

Ganking and PvP are not the same thing, in any PvP MMO. The former implies an encounter where one side is pretty much guaranteed to lose unless they can escape. The latter implies competition where both people are engaged in the combat.

You really don't understand EVE do you?  It's not all about "fair" PVP, it's about winning and winning big.  If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing something terribly wrong.

If you liken in it more to the stakes in real world war and not to real world sports you'll get the correct mindset.

There's no quarter to be given and no honor in losing fairly.......

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Because it never ends.

The thing with eve is there isn't an endgame, there isn't this rush to complete the latest content update, then sit around bored waiting for the next update or expansion.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

isnt the only space flight sim MMO so far?

thats the reason then

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN