Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Graphical performance?

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILPosts: 413Member Uncommon

Thinking about picking this up, but in researching my new video card I saw quite a few posts in different message boards about GW2 not playing nice with Nvidia 600 series cards.

Just wondering how the game is running, and most particularly on the 600 series.

Also, some people mentioned a recent issue where frames slow to a crawl while turning the camera regardless of gpu.

I have an I5 running @ 3.7ghz 8 gbs ram Corsair SSD, 660gtx video card, win7 64 bit.

Jerky frame rates and poorly optimized graphics engines really bother my eyes, so if this is an issue I will wait. 

Looking for honest feedback from users, not fan boy - I get 100 fps always on my two year old lap top with ultra settings, or troll - game is broken don't buy it.

Thank you much.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    running a 670 here almost everything at HIGH and easily maintain 60 fps even during very large battles.. with your rig you should have no issues with framerates

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• sammyelisammyeli Fremont, CAPosts: 765Member

Just run the WHQL drivers that nvidia recently posted and you are good to go, all you need to do is ambient occlusion off every thing can be turned up in  nvidia control panel. i5 2500K on stock cooling should hit 4.2 GHZ just put up the multipliers to 42 and run Aida 64 for 15 mins. because still this game is cpu dependant as they are still modifying some stuff.

With that setup you should never dip below 60 FPS in any situation. also it is best to force vsync in CP and use some of the funtions related to Vsync that makes the quality even higher.

Turn off shadows and thats all you need to do in game and crank all the settings to high.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• JetrpgJetrpg Whitehouse, OHPosts: 2,376Member
    seems to do fine with mine 670 some

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member

Graphic card is not all god holy that will work in any game people must learn this.

How much ram do you have?

What CPU do you have?

What HDD do you have?

I see you have written your specs but a lot of people don't they just post what graphic card they have and get pissed off when the card don't "work" in their favour when infact the CPU is the bottleneck.

Just want to say it :)

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Graphic card is not all god holy that will work in any game people must learn this.

What CPU do you have?

What HDD do you have?

he listed all that in the OP

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

What CPU do you have?

What HDD do you have?

Sorry i missread did edit it, but to late u were first to point out my flaw ;)

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Montreal, QCPosts: 1,803Member

read up on their official forums their tech support

they are having problems with framerates with some high end computers

while some middle computers run it just fine

there is a bottleneck happening somewhere that is causing some problems not taking 100% of the CPU,

also being heavy on the CPU and less on the graphics card

im not a computer wiz but i know something is problematic with AMD processors

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILPosts: 413Member Uncommon

I looked at the official forums more closely and saw several posts about this topic including a framerate/driver issues thread with 72,000 views.

Sounds an awful lot like EQ2/AOC launch, think I will wait awhile to see how this pans out.

Thanks all.

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,616Member Uncommon

Your rig should work just fine. GW2 is more CPU dependent compared to other MMOs. If you look at the poor performance threads carefully you'll see most graphics issues are being reported by those with sub 3GHz CPUs... And mostly AMD. There's no graphic card that wlil magically make a CPU bottleneck disappear.

i run on an older i7 930 CPU (OC'd to 4 GHz) and a Radeon 7970 and, as you'd expect, it runs perfectly and ultrasmooth with all doodads turned on. But I've also seen it run on a buddy's i5 with an older ATI 4870 X2 and it looks just as good as mine. Your 660 is faster than that old 4870.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Norcal, CAPosts: 612Member

No issues with a 660ti. To me the game really needs a top CPU vs a top GPU.

Your system will be nearly glass at highest settings.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member

I have an age old Phenom II X4 940 (@3.4ghz), not even remotely close to be as powerful as your I5, and a rather good graphic card (HD6870 1GB DDR5 stock clock), and even with my old processor, I get smooth gameplay everywhere but in very heavy WvW action where I have noticeable slow downs, but then I can't complain, my processor is really old and outdated and it's definitely the bottleneck since all four cores are at 100% in those extreme cases.

So with your rig, you should get very good performance in the whole game.

If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

• Aimee46Aimee46 ZwollePosts: 11Member
    The 660 does it very smooth as long as you have adaptive v-sync on. A steady smooth 60fps in all cases. Without adaptive framerates become very jumpy, from 140 to 30 at certain times. I have nothing overclocked, running everthing on stock. Just running an old core i5-760.

Playing: GW2 & Tera.
    Played: Lotro, Lineage, Lineage2, GW1, WoW, CoHV, Tabula Rasa, AoC, Aion, Rift, Allods and several other f2p but of minor importance

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM ZagrebPosts: 1,788Member
    I hope that future updates make the game utilize more processing power, both from GPU and CPU. I find it very strange that in big events on ultra I got around 15 fps while my cpu and gpu load is only at 70-80%. Why isn't it 100% to compensate for drops in frames?
  • ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYPosts: 1,830Member Uncommon
    That's the one thing that I really like about GW2. I run the game on a laptop with a HD3000 graphics card and I don't ever have issues. Anet hit a homerun with playability on low end systems.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,281Member Uncommon

The game runs fine outside of WvW.  With a lot of people on the screen when taking a keep you will have issues, sometimes sever. Things like invisible enemies. 

For the most part it performs well even on older computers.

• Masa1Masa1 LapuaPosts: 318Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bcbully

For the most part it performs well even on older computers.

Bullshit, my 3 year old PC was only running it with 20-40FPS, which is unacceptable.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    The performance problems with GW2 are that it doesn't like mid-range processors, let alone low end, at least in WvWvW.  If you're willing ot turn graphical settings down, you don't need an especially powerful video card, but you do need a pretty strong processor.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYPosts: 1,830Member Uncommon

Here are my laptop specs and I run the game just fine. I didn't mess with anything when I installed the game and it looks good and runs really good.

Intel Core i3-2350M

Intel HD3000 graphics

4GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

• adam_noxadam_nox hays, KSPosts: 2,036Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

What CPU do you have?

What HDD do you have?

Sorry i missread did edit it, but to late u were first to point out my flaw ;)

that and you asked him what his hdd was, rofl, really looking for flaws eh.

• FionFion Montour Falls, NYPosts: 2,351Member

I have an i5 3570 (3.4ghz) , 8g G.Skill DDR3, EVGA GTX 570 and I get 40+ fps in most areas with maxed settings (no FXAA cause I hate it). Lower right now in Lion's Arch because of all the new halloween asses and the huge number of folks running around but otherwise it's very playable. :)

Your setup is rather close to my own so I wouldn't worry. As long as you run updated drivers and keep your system clean you should have zero problems.