Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6-12 Month Ban on all MMO's

The time is now to stop playing MMO's until the QUALITY and ORIGINALITY get better.

I know some will disagree but I implore you to please change you mindset. YOU DESERVE BETTER! Every month more and more games keep releasing, you cant miss them they are posted all over websites with flashy images(FREE FREE FREE come play now). How many clones can there be? 

We as the community have the power sitting right in our grips and we let it slip away, we continue to dish out money for these over-hyped games. The cycle will never end if we do not stand up to it. How many times can you be burnt by a game thinking "this is gonna be the best game ever", only to find out that years and years of waiting have left you in dismay. 

Go out, hang with your familty, play single player games stop dishing out money to game companies that do not care about what you enjoy but only care about how deep their pockets go. Sure 6-12 months seems like a long time but HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WAITING FOR A GAME TO IMPRESS YOU?

Spread the word WE DEMAND BETTER AND WE WILL NOT ACCEPT LESS!

Post your ideas, alternative single player games that can really keep your interest.

On a side note I wanna thank all these games that have gone "Free to play" you have made me appreciate how cheap subscription based games truly are.

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Well I haven't played any MMO for 6 months now.. do I win anything, do I get any skillups, a lvl up perhaps, an item, a....STOP..I can do this!
  • montinmontin Member Posts: 218

Down with the government....oh sorry, wrong idealistic rant.

I've been playing Rift for just over a year now and loving every minute of it. The game just gets better and better. A game which I'm more than happy to pay my sub for. Ban the rest of em but play Rift :)

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by montin

I've been playing Rift for just over a year now and loving every minute of it. The game just gets better and better. A game which I'm more than happy to pay my sub for. Ban the rest of em but play Rift :)

Then we would have every game developer out there making sure that every game they create is an exact clone of Rift :{

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

Boycott. 6-12 month boycott.

And if people stop playing MMOs, what will the 50% of fresh college graduates that are unemployed do?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    GW2 still impresses me every day. It's also almost exactly what was promised, so... yay?
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    GW2 still impresses me every day. It's also almost exactly what was promised, so... yay?

While I am glad you are impressed, GW2 has really very little of anything original. And before you flame that comment really think about it. 

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Sorry OP, I'm having a great time in WoW.  I'm not sure who it is you're trying to rally, but I don't think it's me.  Or anyone I know.

Or anyone I -have- known, for that matter.  Not known personally.

And most f2p games have only made me grateful that there are still quality subscription games out there.  There are some parts where there are exceptions (Aion's customization for instance, or DDO's dungeon traps/skillmonkeys for example), but overall I'm happy with a sub, not a cash shop.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Content with paying for Rift. Over-all theres not much you can do as greedy publishers exist and dry up the game industry. Only thing you can do is support those you enjoy and let those money grab MMos by those publisher wither with lack of support.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well in last 2 years if you don't count free beta weekends, I've only bought GW2 and played it for ~35 hours before getting uterrly bored.   

So I am kinda on this ban for quite a long time with only one short 35 h exception.  I also don't see ANY mmorpg in next 12 months in west that might make me play one.  Rift is getting great expansion, but I don't really like this game. It is good game but just not my cup of tea.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Original, high quality post.

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    Originally posted by montin

Then we would have every game developer out there making sure that every game they create is an exact clone of Rift :{

...And if a truly groundbreaking and inventive MMO is released and everyone flocks to it, you can guarantee that within 5 years it will have been copied to death. Bandwagons will always be jumped on if it means making money. Even Call of Duty was once considered inventive and groundbreaking in its cinematic depiction of warfare during WWII.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I will be playing Darkfall:UW and Planetsdie 2 thanks.. i wont be playing or buying any themepark MMORPGs as i tend to hate them..

but of course i wil be doing other things as well :)

• sekuharadaioosekuharadaioo Member Posts: 22
    this is all about how you balance your real life and game. say if you dont have control on yourself, just go and get a life

Games currently playing:
    ------------------------
    Pro Evolution Soccer
    World of Warcraft
    Light of Nova
    League of Legends

I am happy for those that do have games that they enjoy but that does not change the fact that your enjoying unoriginal games.

A lot of posts above baffle me. Your just accepting what is happening and your just gonna take it. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Your just accepting what is happening and your just gonna take it. 

Not only that, I am gonna enjoy it :)

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Oh, hey, I believe I did this already!

Yeeh, I didn't play MMOs a bunch.  So I played classic RPGs instead.  Yeaaah, those are great.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

The time is now to stop playing MMO's until the QUALITY and ORIGINALITY get better.

I know some will disagree but I implore you to please change you mindset. YOU DESERVE BETTER! Every month more and more games keep releasing, you cant miss them they are posted all over websites with flashy images(FREE FREE FREE come play now). How many clones can there be? 

We as the community have the power sitting right in our grips and we let it slip away, we continue to dish out money for these over-hyped games. The cycle will never end if we do not stand up to it. How many times can you be burnt by a game thinking "this is gonna be the best game ever", only to find out that years and years of waiting have left you in dismay. 

Go out, hang with your familty, play single player games stop dishing out money to game companies that do not care about what you enjoy but only care about how deep their pockets go. Sure 6-12 months seems like a long time but HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WAITING FOR A GAME TO IMPRESS YOU?

Spread the word WE DEMAND BETTER AND WE WILL NOT ACCEPT LESS!

Post your ideas, alternative single player games that can really keep your interest.

On a side note I wanna thank all these games that have gone "Free to play" you have made me appreciate how cheap subscription based games truly are.

I more or less quit mmos last year. I still cover them for a week or two when a new one comes out for my youtube channel but for fun and as a hobby I haven't touched one in over a year.

Its sad that the genre has turned into what it has, but I get more of a kick out of playing Skyrim or Dishonored now than I have playing MMO's.

There is just too much meaningless grind, not enough meaningful pvp / pve, imersion is non-existant and the fun factor is all but gone. I'm sure mmo's will be around for a long time to come but as someone who has personally played everyone since the first one back in the 90's the genre just doesnt appeal to me anymore.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I play Vanguard.

I have no complaints right now ... well okay population is low, but meh, nothing new.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Scalpless

While I am glad you are impressed, GW2 has really very little of anything original. And before you flame that comment really think about it.

I think it does, but even if it didn't, originality isn't the only or most important element of quality. Originality can be awful and tropes can be good. GW2 certainly puts its own spin on things that were present in earlier MMOs in one form or another and that's a great thing. It may not be entirely original, but it's very innovative, and innovation is practically better than originality. For example, name ONE MMO that has a grouping similar to GW2's "passive" grouping in open world areas. I know of none.

I agree that derivative crap shouldn't be bought, but I think you (and many others on this site) exaggerate the porblem greatly. There are bad games, there are mediocre games and there are great games. As usual, great games are a pretty small minority, but it's always been this way in large industries. Games like TSW, GW2 and probably World of Darkness / ArcheAge / Firefall in the future continue to bring new or improved features into the genre. They're not as groundbreaking as some old games, of course, but that's just because broken ground is harder to break.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Yes, down with all MMOs!  Oh wait, just a sec. 

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by aphydork

Boycott. 6-12 month boycott.

And if people stop playing MMOs, what will the 50% of fresh college graduates that are unemployed do?

developing single player games only

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98
    If you quit playing MMOs can you also quit coming to this site to whine about why you quit playing MMOs?
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I'm doing my part by revisiting a certain mmo that will not be named on private servers.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I've retreated into EVE and likely won't emerge until DF:UW or something similar comes along.

I'm done with standard AAA MMO's as they are currently designed, just not to my liking.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

So many good SPGs released and soon to be released I feel like I'm being spoiled!

XCOM, Dishonored, Rome 2: Total War, the new freelancer-type space sim in development by Valve, new GTA... fingers-crossed maybe Dragon Age 3 will turn out to be decent too.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

This discussion has been closed.