Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final verdict and going back to Tera Online

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Have fun going back to Tera?  I couldn't go back to that game, for me it would be like going backwards.  If it works for you, ore power to you!  Have fun and like many others I hope a game comes along that can bring mack that magic we all want to feel.

Yeah it is just temporary to fool around with the combat system. I am waiting for Darkfall: Unholy Wars to be released.

I will also be checking unholy wars but will still be checking into gw2. 

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Dont get me wrong I like the old mmo's like EQ1 and AC and even UO but I can not bring myself to understand if no one likes the newer games why do you all buy them then complain there not like the old ones. I mean no offence to anyone by saying this but if those games are so good why are you all playing whats new?

This is something I dont understand I loved EQ alot but in time I just got to the point it was not worth the monthly fee for most games I in fact quite using X-box  for my online gaming through console because they added a fee and bought a PS3 even with the hack I will not go back to the box. But even with MMO's why move away from the good games to get into the new. I did not go to WoW at launch it was not until BC was out a month that I got into WoW by  then EQOA was dead on my server like maybe 300 players on at the times I played I still played EQ1 and EQ2 even during the WoW time cause I had a station pass but I dropped them all when I started playing F2P games and at that time there where a few hundred on the market. 

So again I ask if all the games alot of you say are really great games why dont you guys and gals still play them and why did you leave them to begin with I know SWG reason  but did not stop me from logging in ever year one or 2 times to just enjoy the game.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by colddog04
    Just play EVE. It's awesome.
    Tried it on and off for a long while but every time the UI and combat puts me of... and I hate scammers which seems to run rampant in that game.

Scammers are a part of the game in EVE. They're another type of enemy you have to watch out for. They don't have players like that in Darkfall?

And honestly, Tera? If you like games like Darkfall and UO, I can understand you not liking GW2, but Tera? Pffff, okay.

And you're seriously butthurt because ArenaNet are making money off of the gem store? If this puts you off, you're going to have a very hard time playing anything at all very soon. Microtransactions are the replacement for subscriptions. Subscriptions are dead. Pathfinder Online is using microtransactions instead of subs, too, you know, and it's the "next big" sandbox game. Gonna skip it?

And I dont see where I did bashing of the game, I said it was fun for a while but lacks longetivity. If that is bashing in your book then you are the one with the problem.

Calling something the "fast food equivalent" of anything would be considered bashing it.

Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Just play EVE. It's awesome.
    It was awesome the first few years, but it hasn't aged well.

I only played EVE very briefly, and I could name a few surface problems with it, but one of those problems would definitely not be how well it aged. In fact, it probably aged better than nearly any other game of its time.

Originally posted by maddhatter44
    yea dont listen to gthat guy, obviously a complete retard,300k was a huge number back then, only after TBC of WoW did numbers jump,mainly because of casuals getting in the genre.which casuals are what ruined the genre, and put MMOs in the direction they are today.true story

Typical. Sandbox. Elitist.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Just play EVE for the simple fact that it is the best sandbox option available, not because it's the game that suits your exact preferences in every category. Play it until a high quality, regular combat (avatar combat), sandbox is released. If you can allow yourself to like EVE, you might just surprise yourself and find it worth sticking to.
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Suntastic

Made a blog entry about my final verdict of GW 2 and moving on.

An excerpt: 

"So in hindsight I can say that GW 2 was well worth the box price but it is not like an MMORPG of the past, like Asheron's Call and EvertQuest, which would hook you for months, even years. Ultimately GW 2 (and most ThemeParks) is like the fast food equivalent of MMORPGs, accessible and really nice for a short while but quickly gets boring.

Also, not long ago, they announced the next "content patch" for Guild Wars and it was mostly about structured PvP, which is GW 2's equivalent of instanced PvP scenarios/battlegrounds and it was the least appealing aspect in the game for me. More over it seemed to be done in a way for you to buy tickets from their cash shop which is pretty telling that their first content patch was about getting people going to the cash shop.

Kind of expected for a game which does not have a sub. fee but which rather relies on box sales and the cash shop and I predict, that once the box sales start to dwindle, they will be focusing on adding content based on you as a player going to their cash shop. That probably being the case I wont be doing back to the game until the next expansion or if they add some purpose and meaning to the Zerg fest which is currently the very dissapointing WvW PvP."

Typical sandbox elitist...bash all themeparks and compares them to some old sandbox type game that in their minds was the best ever. Even though those games had super small sub numbers.

It doesn't matter to these guys because even though  they bash all themepark games..they only play themepark games and never support sandbox games.

Here's a tip sandbox elitist..next time you say you are going to stop playing a themepark game because it's the "fast food equivalent of MMORPGs", throwout that you are going to play a sandbox game not another themepark. Honestly, your whole point was destroyed by you in the title of this thread.

You have a 0 cred rating...

First of all old sandbox games did not have super small sub. numbers as you are comparing those times with now. During their peak, SWG, AC, UO had 150k-300k subs and that was really good for that era.

And I dont see where I did bashing of the game, I said it was fun for a while but lacks longetivity. If that is bashing in your book then you are the one with the problem.

Finally, I never said ThemeParks can be no fun. They can, but they lack the longetivity of sandbox games. So I will be playing Tera Online for a month fun or so then move on. Dont see the issue with that as that is how those games seem to be designed anyway.

yea dont listen to gthat guy, obviously a complete retard,

300k was a huge number back then, only after TBC of WoW did numbers jump,

mainly because of casuals getting in the genre.

which casuals are what ruined the genre, and put MMOs in the direction they are today.

true story

quite true . till BC even wotlk was not that bad either ,wow was a game that you had to learn and perfect .now with all those small casual kids being accomodated  the game is getting subscribers but overall the hardcore feeling is diminishing . :(

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by lotaparty
    quite true . till BC even wotlk was not that bad either ,wow was a game that you had to learn and perfect .now with all those small casual kids being accomodated  the game is getting subscribers but overall the hardcore feeling is diminishing . :(

I'm pretty sure WoW subscribers are diminishing along with the hardcore feel. To say that one style ruins the other is naive. Both are required for a strong game, which exactly why WoW did so well so long while "hardcore only" and "casual only" games flounder.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

which casuals are what ruined the genre, and put MMOs in the direction they are today.

true story

Oh sure! Pin the blame on the casuals why dontcha!

You know, did it ever once come into your head that maybe the reason why the "evil casuals" that you loathe so much came to this genre was because someone drew their attention there in the first place? Casuals do not just pop out of the ground one day and decide that they want to ruin the genre for the evulz. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if most casuals didn't give a flying fuck about this genre until somebody raised the alarm about it.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

um what does sandbox have to do with anything?

should be Typical Elitest.

and yes, proud to be one of the 1%'ers

• EvokerzEvokerz Member UncommonPosts: 37

Since you so nostalgic about past games so much, why don't you play Asheron's Call and and Everquest again?

For your convenience, here is the link for your to purchase and subscribe: http://ac.turbine.com/ (only $9.99!!) and http://everquest.station.sony.com/ (play for FREE!!).

This definitely going forward for you.

Have fun!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Sounds about right.

They should really be focusing on WvW, it's the best part of their game, and has the room for the most improvement too.

Originally posted by Evokerz

Since you so nostalgic about past games so much, why don't you play Asheron's Call and and Everquest again?

Because those games no longer exist. I cannot go back to when DAoC was good, or when UO was good.

Why don't you go back to playing flash games or whatever you were doing before you "discovered MMOs"?

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

Wow.  Some farily caustic replies to what seemed a fairly well reasoned, thought out blog post from a personal perspective.  If someone figures out they don't like something and decide to share their reasons why the animosity?  It's just personal opinion.

For the record, I think GW2 has staying power for the people that like it.  Whoa!  Crazy.  But if you don't then don't hate them. What is wrong with you?

Originally posted by bliss14

Wow.  Some farily caustic replies to what seemed a fairly well reasoned, thought out blog post from a personal perspective.  If someone figures out they don't like something and decide to share their reasons why the animosity?  It's just personal opinion.

For the record, I think GW2 has staying power for the people that like it.  Whoa!  Crazy.  But if you don't then don't hate them. What is wrong with you?

The GW2 fanatics are quite possibly more annoying than any other brand to have cropped up recently. The SWTOR ones were bad, but they melted away because the game was bad and failed, so they had nothing to really go on.

GW2 being a decent game, it just makes the fanboys more rabid. They won't accept ANY criticism before saying "Well its not like that on MY server!" or "well then don't play it!"

That being said, GW2 playtime has been in a steady decline. It'll be interesting to see how populated it is once it has leveled out.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Have fun going back to Tera?  I couldn't go back to that game, for me it would be like going backwards.  If it works for you, ore power to you!  Have fun and like many others I hope a game comes along that can bring mack that magic we all want to feel.

Step back (and a few side steps) in some areas, a huge leap forward in combat over GW2.  I blame Tera for making GW2 combat system feel that much more clunky and uncomfortable.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

I was extremely excited for GW2 once friends started hyping it up.  I played for maybe three days after release and never picked it up again.  It's just mediocre in so many areas and I have zero desire to play it.  It's not "bad" but it's not "good" to me either.

That mediocrity is just a stagnant feeling.  Then again, most MMO's released now are absolute trash.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by bliss14

The GW2 fanatics are quite possibly more annoying than any other brand to have cropped up recently. The SWTOR ones were bad, but they melted away because the game was bad and failed, so they had nothing to really go on.

GW2 being a decent game, it just makes the fanboys more rabid. They won't accept ANY criticism before saying "Well its not like that on MY server!" or "well then don't play it!"

That being said, GW2 playtime has been in a steady decline. It'll be interesting to see how populated it is once it has leveled out.

Yep totally valid viewpoint.   People are annoying.  Time will tell as far as all games go, and GW2 has a few expansions - and otherwise free content epansions most likely - to say whether or not a big followoing or just a cult following follow it.

Time will tell.  I know forums are for overreactions, not you davis, but it gets ridiculous around this joint.

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

I'm pretty sure WoW subscribers are diminishing along with the hardcore feel. To say that one style ruins the other is naive. Both are required for a strong game, which exactly why WoW did so well so long while "hardcore only" and "casual only" games flounder.

WoW's hardcore only diminishing cuz they cater to $casuals$. and the game changed for them. Raids are so much easier now.

clearing the same raid instance twice isnt as satifying.

the gear check  ment more back then.. now its welfare purples.

they wanted to make some more $$$$$ so catered to $casuals$. period.

but hey, i guess your right.... who could blame them.

only reason a hardcore type game would need the massive amount $casuals$  to fund it . i understand im a minority. but thats not hard to do... just look at angry birds... hell even my father plays that lulz.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Suntastic

Made a blog entry about my final verdict of GW 2 and moving on.

An excerpt: 

"So in hindsight I can say that GW 2 was well worth the box price but it is not like an MMORPG of the past, like Asheron's Call and EvertQuest, which would hook you for months, even years. Ultimately GW 2 (and most ThemeParks) is like the fast food equivalent of MMORPGs, accessible and really nice for a short while but quickly gets boring.

Also, not long ago, they announced the next "content patch" for Guild Wars and it was mostly about structured PvP, which is GW 2's equivalent of instanced PvP scenarios/battlegrounds and it was the least appealing aspect in the game for me. More over it seemed to be done in a way for you to buy tickets from their cash shop which is pretty telling that their first content patch was about getting people going to the cash shop.

Kind of expected for a game which does not have a sub. fee but which rather relies on box sales and the cash shop and I predict, that once the box sales start to dwindle, they will be focusing on adding content based on you as a player going to their cash shop. That probably being the case I wont be doing back to the game until the next expansion or if they add some purpose and meaning to the Zerg fest which is currently the very dissapointing WvW PvP."

Typical sandbox elitist...bash all themeparks and compares them to some old sandbox type game that in their minds was the best ever. Even though those games had super small sub numbers.

It doesn't matter to these guys because even though  they bash all themepark games..they only play themepark games and never support sandbox games.

Here's a tip sandbox elitist..next time you say you are going to stop playing a themepark game because it's the "fast food equivalent of MMORPGs", throwout that you are going to play a sandbox game not another themepark. Honestly, your whole point was destroyed by you in the title of this thread.

You have a 0 cred rating...

First of all old sandbox games did not have super small sub. numbers as you are comparing those times with now. During their peak, SWG, AC, UO had 150k-300k subs and that was really good for that era.

Finally, I never said ThemeParks can be no fun. They can, but they lack the longetivity of sandbox games. So I will be playing Tera Online for a month fun or so then move on. Dont see the issue with that as that is how those games seem to be designed anyway.

yea dont listen to gthat guy, obviously a complete retard,

300k was a huge number back then, only after TBC of WoW did numbers jump,

mainly because of casuals getting in the genre.

true story

Don't blame the "casuals" They are consumers just like everyone else. It was the developers who saw the casuals as a commodity that needed to be exploited. It's not their fault. If someone tried to take soemthing you might not normally be interested alter it, change it by adding elements that you do like, it's not your fault that someone else who like the original form doesn't like the new form, It's the developer who said "screw you, we want to cater to this group now" to the guy who like the old form. 

You can thank Activision and Turbine for watered down lobby games with cash shops that pass for MMOs now.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I cant look back to any other mmo now i played GW2 it just looks dated, they have ancient mechanics, and pvp is a complete joke compared to GW2.

I understand that no game can hold a gold medal for every player out there in the world tough :)

But iam seriously not even close to stop playing GW2 for a very very very long time, maybe Planetside 2 will eat some free time, but you cannot compare shooter to rpg :)

have fun in Tera and maybe hop back to GW2 when Anet released a new xpac or major patch!

WoW's hardcore only diminishing cuz they cater to $casuals$. and the game changed for them.

I never get this statement. WoW has always catered to casuals. That's what made it WoW. Nothing about the game has EVER been hardcore. If people are so desperate for a challenging raid experience, they wouldn't be playing the most casual MMO on the market.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

New term!!! 

Shroom Mage, this one is all yours. How do you feel right now? image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

WoW's hardcore only diminishing cuz they cater to $casuals$. and the game changed for them.

I never get this statement. WoW has always catered to casuals. That's what made it WoW. Nothing about the game has EVER been hardcore. If people are so desperate for a challenging raid experience, they wouldn't be playing the most casual MMO on the market.

The casuals of other games could be the hardcores of another, maybe? Granted I don't really give a damn, considering we're all video game enthusiasts to some level, but whatever.

/incoming someone taking this statement the wrong way.

Originally posted by Enigmatus

The casuals of other games could be the hardcores of another, maybe? Granted I don't really give a damn, considering we're all video game enthusiasts to some level, but whatever.

/incoming someone taking this statement the wrong way.

Still though, if there were people who actually valued challenging raids in WoW, they could have moved to almost any other MMO out there and enjoyed a nice difficulty bump.

But the real question though is how they all seem to be under the delusion that Blizzard didn't used to favor casuals. I mean... that's like... that's like saying Nintendo doesn't favor Mario. It's very clear. Casuals are the bread and butter of Blizzard. WoW was ALWAYS THE casual MMO. It never changed.

Still though, if there were people who actually valued challenging raids in WoW, they could have moved to almost any other MMO out there and enjoyed a nice difficulty bump.

But the real question though is how they all seem to be under the delusion that Blizzard didn't used to favor casuals. I mean... that's like... that's like saying Nintendo doesn't favor Mario. It's very clear. Casuals are the bread and butter of Blizzard. WoW was ALWAYS THE casual MMO. It never changed.

Well...it wouldn't really sit well with people that have massive egos to call themselves casual, even if the game they play is super casual compared to other games now would it? No one likes being considered inferior or lesser, even if it's all in their head.

not true, seeing how only 1% of people saw naxx40.

and thats not because they werent able to grind there way up. it was cause they couldnt coordinate in a  raid properly.

correction: was under 1%... yea i undersand that not the best, and needed to be changed.

but to change it to 1% to 100% is sad...... Kills all exclusiveness... which is what i loved about it.