Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How can Trion do it?

13»

Comments

  • psiicatpsiicat St Petersburg, FLPosts: 29Member
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by Myrdynn

    actually, considering once the engine is made, yes it takes the same amount of time.


     

    Erm, no.

    Problem is, "turning on a model and placing it in the environment" is not as simple as you think it is...

    The company with an engine that allows more detail will take a lot longer to produce the content because of the amount of effort it takes to get the detail into the character models or the armor models or the environment. With older engines people could just slap a nice looking texture on a bunch of polygons and be good, with newer engines it takes a hell of a lot longer or at least a bigger development team working solely on that to pump it out as quick.

    absolutely a model with 10k wires takres way longer to design that one that is based on 1000 wires.

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    (in an ERA where there were still pay by the hour games) but you got monthly patches, every month.

    To my knowledge, no MMO ever used hourly billing.  Did I miss Turbine using collection agencies and post-use billing?

    MMOs never ran on AOL/GEnie/Compuserve--where the last of the hourly-rate games lived--before they moved to the web, circa 1994-1997.  Those were Kesmai, Gemstone...pre-MMO games, MUDs, poker and bridge, chess, etc.

    AC didn't even open until late '99, right?

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAPosts: 1,516Member Uncommon

    I dunno before I played AC I played Shadows of Yserbius for I wanna say $3 an hour, and it was on AOL, it was an additional service outside of the AOL service just to be online.

    maybe it ended before AC, it was in the 90's so my dates may be off, kinda too old to remember exact details

     

  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,536Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by Arkain

    lol, one might think that but most of the MMO's out right no are some what generic, just look at GW2 for example, very generic asian grinder look to it, but will they be able to turn out the land content quickly, time will only tell. 


     

    Cannot speak for GW2 but no major MMO title has as generic world as Rift has. Not even remotely close.


    Vast, empty, open, detail lacking landscapes. It is like playing a game from 10 years ago.


    I guess that is why you can hear sometimes the game being described as soulless.

     

    I do not want to belittle the effort Trion does. The amount of content they release is very impressive, content released though is not so much.

    Really? Judging by your first 3 sentences, I'd have guessed belitting Trion's efforts was specifically your goal.

     

     

  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    Originally posted by cyandk
    How can they keep releasing content at the rate they are compared to everyone else? Did they ever share their secrets about it somewhere?

    Very simple.  They view RIFT as a 'service' not a game.  As a sub-based game, they actually feel that they need to be a step-up above F2P games content.  As a sub game, RIFT is a great value for what you pay for it.

    If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.
    image

  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,536Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by cyandk
    How can they keep releasing content at the rate they are compared to everyone else? Did they ever share their secrets about it somewhere?

    Or they are just copying eveyone else. The game is very boring and just a blatant carbon copy of other games.

    A blatant carbon copy? Really? Do you even know what a "blatant carbon copy" is? That would be an exact duplicate of something else.

    In other words, you're exaggerating. Horribly.

    Does it share similar basic game systems with other MMOs? Yes. Does it share a similar quest progression system? Sure. Different races and classed? Yep! An experience point system for leveling? You betcha!

    Its mix-and-match soul/skill tree system is certainly not a carbon copy of other games. Similar? In its basic setup and purpose, yes. But in terms of its execution and functionality? No.

    In how many other MMOs do you have world events happening over an entire zone, rifts popping up which can lead to full-on invasions of enemies marching on a town to attempt to destroy it? In what other MMO would you be running down a path to see a huge freaking dragon, or some other huge creature and its minions rampaging toward you? In what other MMO can you track and intervene with the progression of these invading forces before they get where they're going?

    In how many other MMOs does something like this happen on a zone-wide basis at all, nevermind multiple times a day?

    Rift is a "blatant carbon copy" you say? No. Try harder next time. Choose your words more thoughtfully, and stop exaggerating.

    If you don't like the game, fine. But please stop talking nonsense.

  • lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by cyandk
    How can they keep releasing content at the rate they are compared to everyone else? Did they ever share their secrets about it somewhere?

    Or they are just copying eveyone else. The game is very boring and just a blatant carbon copy of other games.

    A blatant carbon copy? Really? Do you even know what a "blatant carbon copy" is? That would be an exact duplicate of something else.

    In other words, you're exaggerating. Horribly.

    Does it share similar basic game systems with other MMOs? Yes. Does it share a similar quest progression system? Sure. Different races and classed? Yep! An experience point system for leveling? You betcha!

    Its mix-and-match soul/skill tree system is certainly not a carbon copy of other games. Similar? In its basic setup and purpose, yes. But in terms of its execution and functionality? No.

    In how many other MMOs do you have world events happening over an entire zone, rifts popping up which can lead to full-on invasions of enemies marching on a town to attempt to destroy it? In what other MMO would you be running down a path to see a huge freaking dragon, or some other huge creature and its minions rampaging toward you? In what other MMO can you track and intervene with the progression of these invading forces before they get where they're going?

    In how many other MMOs does something like this happen on a zone-wide basis at all, nevermind multiple times a day?

    Rift is a "blatant carbon copy" you say? No. Try harder next time. Choose your words more thoughtfully, and stop exaggerating.

    If you don't like the game, fine. But please stop talking nonsense.

    it was very much near to wow at the beginning but since than it has come a long way . trion has made many changes and the game is very good . hope people come back and see it for themselves 

    image

  • TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,125Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Tamanous 

    2. They do not develop much with original thought. The content they pump out is either based on a model they already perfected (small updates of themed Rift-tech invasions) or an expansion filled with ideas from tech already well tested in other mmos.

    Think your thinking of WoW there. 

    Granted we can admit they did take ideas they found from other games (face it, its a good practice, WoW is created solely after this taking from EQ1 with virutally all features taken from other gmae) they have added quite a bit of original stuff into the game (as far as I know). The concept of Instant adventure was a new concept that took emphasis in the game, and they have added other little components that weren't used much in MMos, the defense points/turrets taking some inspiration from Tower Defense of sorts not done in other MMos (that I've seen). Much of their other content was expanded upon greatly from other games, such as the Zone Event (Improving upon the Warhammer idea that wasn't really fleshed out to well). Leader board itself was a concept never really handled in MMos that much and was expanded greatly in Rift to make it stand out being different. 

    They have A LOT of original thought when it comes to the game, though we can admit a good deal comes from expanding on older concepts or retuning them to fit the game in their own brand. If we are going for complete originality, your not going to find a single game that exists out there that has that. Everything has already been done, we can only hope to change it up or expand upon it more to make it new and exciting.

    If I was thinking of Wow I would have said Wow. 

     

    You are trying to defend Rift's originality by using the most abused gaming arguments on the internet: the "blame everything on Wow" and the "but all games are a copy if you look far enough back" argument. Sorry but you have completely discredited yourself from any further discussion on this matter.

    You stay sassy!

  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,536Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by cyandk
    How can they keep releasing content at the rate they are compared to everyone else? Did they ever share their secrets about it somewhere?

    Or they are just copying eveyone else. The game is very boring and just a blatant carbon copy of other games.

    it was very much near to wow at the beginning but since than it has come a long way . trion has made many changes and the game is very good . hope people come back and see it for themselves 

    Fair enough. Though, "very much near" is still a far cry from "blatant carbon copy".

     

  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,536Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Tamanous 

    2. They do not develop much with original thought. The content they pump out is either based on a model they already perfected (small updates of themed Rift-tech invasions) or an expansion filled with ideas from tech already well tested in other mmos.

    Think your thinking of WoW there. 

    Granted we can admit they did take ideas they found from other games (face it, its a good practice, WoW is created solely after this taking from EQ1 with virutally all features taken from other gmae) they have added quite a bit of original stuff into the game (as far as I know). The concept of Instant adventure was a new concept that took emphasis in the game, and they have added other little components that weren't used much in MMos, the defense points/turrets taking some inspiration from Tower Defense of sorts not done in other MMos (that I've seen). Much of their other content was expanded upon greatly from other games, such as the Zone Event (Improving upon the Warhammer idea that wasn't really fleshed out to well). Leader board itself was a concept never really handled in MMos that much and was expanded greatly in Rift to make it stand out being different. 

    They have A LOT of original thought when it comes to the game, though we can admit a good deal comes from expanding on older concepts or retuning them to fit the game in their own brand. If we are going for complete originality, your not going to find a single game that exists out there that has that. Everything has already been done, we can only hope to change it up or expand upon it more to make it new and exciting.

    If I was thinking of Wow I would have said Wow. 

     

    You are trying to defend Rift's originality by using the most abused gaming arguments on the internet: the "blame everything on Wow" and the "but all games are a copy if you look far enough back" argument. Sorry but you have completely discredited yourself from any further discussion on this matter.

    No MMO is completely original. That said, Rift does go a good distance toward at least separating itself from the rest, in a number of ways - your personal opinion or dismissal of those differences notwithstanding.

    There's a reason the game is doing well and receiving a healty amount of content updates, nevermind having a huge expansion coming out soon.  And it's doing this with a subscription model. You know.. that revenue model that so many people love to claim "no one will ever play because MMOs aren't worth it and developers can't justify the sub fee"?

     

     

  • psiicatpsiicat St Petersburg, FLPosts: 29Member
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    (in an ERA where there were still pay by the hour games) but you got monthly patches, every month.

    To my knowledge, no MMO ever used hourly billing.  Did I miss Turbine using collection agencies and post-use billing?

    MMOs never ran on AOL/GEnie/Compuserve--where the last of the hourly-rate games lived--before they moved to the web, circa 1994-1997.  Those were Kesmai, Gemstone...pre-MMO games, MUDs, poker and bridge, chess, etc.

    AC didn't even open until late '99, right?

    I use to have $300 a month bills playing pay by the hour neverwinter  on AOL. Meridian 59 was also pay by the hour but I never got into that one.

    When UO released with a flat monthly fee was amazing that a company could do a better game so cheaply made no sense.

  • Evolution8Evolution8 Lancaster, CAPosts: 128Member
    Trion has done an amazing job, i don't play Rift anymore but plan to go back soon and check it out, i will play any game Trion makes, they are an amazing company
  • strykr619strykr619 San Diego, CAPosts: 144Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ste2000

    They learnt from SoE, since Hartsman was basically EQ2 producer for 4-5 years.

    SoE has been always good in releasing content with their yearly expansions.

    I remember that the first couple of years EQ2 had expansions every 6 months and even a quarterly mini expansion called "adventures".

    They stopped doing so, probably because the subscription base collapsed, and wasn't worth it anymore, but it is doable.

    Probably Rift subscription numbers are still worth the regular updates.

    Seems like you haven't played eq2 in a while, you get more content now then you did then, oh and Hartsman was only exec producer for 2 years (was with SoE for a long time thou). 

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.