Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Review in Progress - Part Three

2»

Comments

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Dumb down the game and introduce gimmicks for kids? You lost me long ago WoW. Give it a few years and the corporations will have turned it into pokemon online.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I think the best thing about the xpac is the pet battle system, it seems pretty cool and well implemented.

The worst thing is the fact if you want valor gear at 90 you have to do 3734875934 dailies to get the required rep with each faction before you can purchase items from each vendor. I don’t mind dailies at all but the sheer number of them is excessive and it quickly becomes a chore. If you have alts the grind involved in getting good gear for them makes it even more of a grindfest. I thought they were meant to be moving away from grind as a form of content in mmos, obviously not.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by roo67

I really enjoyed this game once . I don't even feel like going back for nostalgias sake anymore as I have done in the past . Theres so much they could have done with this game .ie player housing , guild halls . There so many fantasy creatures they could have used Centaurs and Ogres would have been good . Hell even leprechauns . They've given us pet battles and pandas .

I remember all those jokes about go play hello kitty island in WoW vanilla ,somehow I dount the people making them would have done so had they known what WoW itself would look like in 7 years .

Still Hello Kittys mega popular and so is WoW .........nuff said .

The fans actually chose pandas. They ran a poll and the Pandaren were the most requested race addition. How are you going to hate on Blizzard for giving fans what they asked for?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Haha, what's the point of giving a new type of content to players in an MMO?? There is no point to pet battles so they automatically become not fun?

What's the point of housing? What's the point of having WvW? Cause I can't see the "point". Why do you guys need some greater purpose to play a game or some type of content within it. When you get some mini games (btw did you remember that they promissed like 50 mini games but they are not in the game?) in GW2, they are the best thing since sliced bread but if WoW gets one it sucks?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

Some of these comments are really ununderstandable to me. Comments like "ezmode" and of similar nature don't have really that much in common with this article.

TBC is the "go to" place for most players if you want the most hardcore era of WoW. Now, would you say that if TBC had pet-battles? If your answer changed than you are not a very bright person and should maybe leave MMOs alltogether.

Pet battles are just  time sink, just an extra things to do while you are bored. They are in no way related to anything other in the game, it does not make you life easier in PvE nor PvP. You just battle with pets. There is nothing more to it.

Now people with already established opinion won't changed them no matter what, which is kinda sad really. First try it, then you can shit all over it.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    No matter how many times I read this I'm still trying to figure out why put this in the game. What does it add? It seems pointless and silly. To each their own I guess. 

without lots of minigames online games dies within a month, see it to yourself. dont think there is any label that gathers so much minigames and off things to do than just epic questing and dungeon crawling.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Except...the pet battles are just a mini game and quite pointless to the overall game. 

Um ... MMOs have no point except what you choose to make the point.

Umm, let's stay on topic and not try to mince words to suit your "pointless" argument.  :D  Saying pet battles in their current form in WoW are pointless to the overall game has nothing to do with MMOs in general. 

Now to further have this make sense to you who just want to argue because you like the system, why not add some type of reward system to enhance it and make it worthwhile.  Like titles, or a special mount from winning so many battles.  See, this is where WoW's lack of other systems such as housing really make potential systems like this fall by the wayside.  If you had housing you could make pet batttles a nice primary way of earning furniture and other additions to your housing.   Thereby making it rewarding and fitting into the world and design of MMOs.

i thought the point of playing games was for fun.  why does everything have to have a reward tied to it?  why does everything have to have an incentive?  it isnt enough that some people find these pet battles fun?  

If you find that fun, than have a blast.  I personally don't.  Hence why I have an opinion about it and why I felt I could share what would make it better for me and others like myself.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Housing is something I think WoW, after TEN years of running should have.
    Then its a good thing that WoW has only been running for EIGHT years. So, according to you they have 2 years to add housing.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

I really enjoyed this game once . I don't even feel like going back for nostalgias sake anymore as I have done in the past . Theres so much they could have done with this game .ie player housing , guild halls . There so many fantasy creatures they could have used Centaurs and Ogres would have been good . Hell even leprechauns . They've given us pet battles and pandas .

I remember all those jokes about go play hello kitty island in WoW vanilla ,somehow I dount the people making them would have done so had they known what WoW itself would look like in 7 years .

The fans actually chose pandas. They ran a poll and the Pandaren were the most requested race addition. How are you going to hate on Blizzard for giving fans what they asked for?

What your talking about is a minority of fans who are vocal in forums .

Blizzard listened to that vocal minority . Everyone knows Blizzard regarded them as a joke race .

I believe they were even April fool joke in 2002 .

http://www.wowwiki.com/Pandaren_(April_Fools)

Theres a British expression "put that in your pipe and smoke it "

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    No matter how many times I read this I'm still trying to figure out why put this in the game. What does it add? It seems pointless and silly. To each their own I guess. 

Umm...I don't know...maybe something FUN to do besides doing raids over and over again for gear?

MMO's need more kinds of side things to do to break up the monotony (ie gear treadmill). What seems pointless and silly to you might be incredibly fun for someone else.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It's not for everyone, and you don't have to do it.  Which is what makes WoW what it is.  You can take WoW and form it into the game you want.  If you're a PvP junky, you can PvP til your heart's content.  If you want to raid all the time, you can do that til the cows come home.  If you are a collector like myself, then you'll love it.

If you ever played animal crossing or pokemon or anything that has to do with pet battling or collecting, then you'll like it.  I'm a big fan of the pet battles, and got my "Zookeeper" Title which I wear proudly all the time, and people always congratulate me on it, since it's one of the harder titles to get out of MoP.  Well, it's not really hard, as much as it takes alot of luck and tons of patience and perseverance.

Edit: just bragging here, but i got almost all the achievements done, all I need now is the 10,000 pet battle and pvp battle achievements.  I think it's 10,000 anyways
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I dunno.. i mean, if i want to play pokemon (I don't) then I will play pokemon.. not WOW.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68

This is definitely something that many of the active core of WoW players would like. They are collectors and completionists. So something kind of mindless like this seems entirely appropriate to the player base, if not necessarily to the world itself.  As a player I have zero interest in it, but I definitely see where it might appeal to some people. I am not sure it is giving anyone a reason to be more social however, mainly because I am not sure people in general understand the word or the thought process behind "social" interaction. Now if they could tie it into the game lore, then that would make the immersion aspect better.

Just My 2 Lunars

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    I really enjoyed this game once . I don't even feel like going back for nostalgias sake anymore as I have done in the past . Theres so much they could have done with this game .ie player housing , guild halls . There so many fantasy creatures they could have used Centaurs and Ogres would have been good . Hell even leprechauns . They've given us pet battles and pandas . I remember all those jokes about go play hello kitty island in WoW vanilla ,somehow I dount the people making them would have done so had they known what WoW itself would look like in 7 years . Still Hello Kittys mega popular and so is WoW .........nuff said .  

What your talking about is a minority of fans who are vocal in forums .

Blizzard listened to that vocal minority . Everyone knows Blizzard regarded them as a joke race .

I believe they were even April fool joke in 2002 .

http://www.wowwiki.com/Pandaren_(April_Fools)

Theres a British expression "put that in your pipe and smoke it "

Glad blizzard does not listen to the vocal minority here or they would think their game sucks.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Agreed! And people get pissed at me when I say it, but wow is trying really hard to corner the kid market and they are doing a very good job

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

One thing any good MMO will have is non cobat, non progression things to do.  Like in EQ2 you have housing and collections.  Rift you have artifacts.  WoW (and most games) you have mount and pet collecting.

For years people have been asking blizzard for something to do with all the pets theyve gathered.  Blizzard answered.  There is no question the game is better because its in there, even if half the players feel like you do.  MMOs need more of this sort of thing.

From what I read the point of this is combat. And it seems strange to take companions and make a combat game out of them. Why not add housing and let them run free around the house and or yard.  That would make more sense to me then this. 

Because at the end of the day, the core of WoW (and most MMOs) is combat. Fighting stuff.

It's also progression which is why I find it ironic that people are saying "it's a side activity from regular gameplay of fighting and progressing"

Yet, what are you doing? You're having your pets fight and level up. It's still combat. It's still leveling. Only difference is your pet is doing it instead of  you.

And would anyone really doubt for a moment that Blizzard won't add some player-specific awards and achievements for hitting certain milestones down the road, hence making it about player/character progression as well? I wouldn't be surprised to see it at all.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Except...the pet battles are just a mini game and quite pointless to the overall game. 

Um ... MMOs have no point except what you choose to make the point.

Umm, let's stay on topic and not try to mince words to suit your "pointless" argument.  :D  Saying pet battles in their current form in WoW are pointless to the overall game has nothing to do with MMOs in general. 

Now to further have this make sense to you who just want to argue because you like the system, why not add some type of reward system to enhance it and make it worthwhile.  Like titles, or a special mount from winning so many battles.  See, this is where WoW's lack of other systems such as housing really make potential systems like this fall by the wayside.  If you had housing you could make pet batttles a nice primary way of earning furniture and other additions to your housing.   Thereby making it rewarding and fitting into the world and design of MMOs.

i thought the point of playing games was for fun.  why does everything have to have a reward tied to it?  why does everything have to have an incentive?  it isnt enough that some people find these pet battles fun?  

Precisely. Some people play mmos' but have never raided. Doesn't mean raiding isn't fun for others.

If they had just added another raid, then people would be saying there's nothing else to do but the same old gear grind.

If players like it and get fun out of the pet battles, then that's good enough for it to be in.