Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR, just jerked me around good

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

So I have been playing and enjoying the game for what it is, an on line single player game with limmited interaction.  I have been playing the FTP to level 15.

I finished my main story quest to get ulock the ship before I hit 16.  I actually skipped a lot of stuff becuase I wanted to see what the ship was all about. 

I run to my new ship.  Click on it.  Jump inside and watch my ship start to take off.  Honestly it was one of the most anticipated moments of the game for me and I was about as excited as I can get playing a game.  The take off cut scence was nice and When the loading stops........BAM, you are not allowed on the ship unless you paying player. 

I understand the point of restricting access for FTP players.  But at least let me see the inside of the ship and figure out if there is a cool minigame or anythign worth wild on the ship.  Or just don't let me on the ship.  Don'e play the cut scene and then throw me right back to infront of my ship.  It is like they want to jerk me around. 

I cannot remember a bigger let down.  Note for EA, if you are going to prohibit access do so before the cut scene.  It will piss people off a lot less. 

Edit:

I see some people cannot read.  The red text has been highlighted so people can see how this is jerking someone around.  If you are not going to allow it, fin do so upfront.  Not after the cut scene.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by MMOman101

So I have been playing and enjoying the game for what it is, an on line single player game with limmited interaction.  I have been playing the FTP to level 15.

I finished my main story quest to get ulock the ship before I hit 16.  I actually skipped a lot of stuff becuase I wanted to see what the ship was all about. 

I run to my new ship.  Click on it.  Jump inside and watch my ship start to take off.  Honestly it was one of the most anticipated moments of the game for me and I was about as excited as I can get playing a game.  The take off cut scence was nice and When the loading stops........BAM, you are not allowed on the ship unless you paying player. 

I understand the point of restricting access for FTP players.  But at least let me see the inside of the ship and figure out if there is a cool minigame or anythign worth wild on the ship.  Or just don't let me on the ship.  Don'e play the cut scene and then throw me right back to infront of my ship.  It is like they want to jerk me around. 

I cannot remember a bigger let down.  Note for EA, if you are going to prohibit access do so before the cut scene.  It will piss people off a lot less. 

the game isnt f2p yet, so u playing the trial.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Or it will make people want to subscribe and continue...... Eitehr way like the otehrs said, soon you will be able to play thru it all for free.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

Like F2P will be any better in the long run?  Just wait till players do their 1 of 3 flashpoints a week and get a purple item.  "WoW I won!!1!".. then to find out, "You lack the training required for this item".  Oh yeah you need to spend money to be on equal ground with other players.  It's Free to Play (coming soon), but a F2P model from hell.

I can only see F2P, freemium, leading to more letdowns.

Want a good F2P model, look at Aion.  NCSoft has it down.  Other games? Look at Lol and GW2.  Those games have bragging rights for being successful, and gamers actually want to play those games, even if the cash shop only has fluff items.  GW2 is still relatively new, but the model is holding for that game too.

GW2 has problems, I'm not promoting it.  The idea they have for gaming is sound though.  Cash-shop works! .. Restricting non-paying players is fail.

There was many ways that EA could have instituted a cash shop while still avoiding P2W (F2P vs sub).  EA chose this route, and they will suffer.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Karteli

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

Like F2P will be any better in the long run?  Just wait till players do their 1 of 3 flashpoints a week and get a purple item.  "WoW I won!!1!".. then to find out, "You lack the training required for this item".  Oh yeah you need to spend money to be on equal ground with other players.  It's Free to Play (coming soon), but a F2P model from hell.

I can only see F2P, freemium, leading to more letdowns.

Want a good F2P model, look at Aion.  NCSoft has it down.  Other games? Look at Lol and GW2.  Those games have bragging rights for being successful, and gamers actually want to play those games, even if the cash shop only has fluff items.  GW2 is still relatively new, but the model is holding for that game too.

GW2 has problems, I'm not promoting it.  The idea they have for gaming is sound though.  Cash-shop works! .. Restricting non-paying players is fail.

There was many ways that EA could have instituted a cash shop while still avoiding P2W (F2P vs sub).  EA chose this route, and they will suffer.

But the OPs point is still not going to be an issue.  He can play the game as a single player game with some interaction the way he wanted to.   All the way to max level.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Didn't they say you are going to be able to run the full storyline fro each character, which means the main questline that goes to level 50.

They cut it short on the trial because they want you to commit to the game, they are dangling the ship in fron of you as a pixelated carrot. It is essentially a taunt, but it's one that obviously made you think about it.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Heh, wait till later, once you get to know EA a little better.  The real letdown is not when you find out you can't go to certain places, but when you are treated less than other players.

In a successful game, in order to populate the world, some players need to actually play for free (so the subscribers feel comfortable spending money).

In case nobody noticed, I love Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.  Heres a video entitled "Microtransactions".  Everything in the video is so obvious, yet it's hard to grasp by yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXA559KNopI

Bottom line: Do not segregate your players if you are a dev.  Being forced to the back of the bus doesn't bode well these days.

Sadly, EA is forcing some gamers to the back of the bus.

They just don't get it, I guess.  Well EA makes a good case study in college on how to do everything wrong.  It will be good textbook material.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Well you are locked out of certain things right? So that kind of makes it a trial. I mean even with F2P you can do all of the stuff one time at least.

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Are they really free (to 15)?  Do they have access to all components of the game?  Can they accumulate unlimited credits, can they send mail, can they shout?  Can they trade and use the GTN?  Seems about as free as North Korea, good luck with that one.

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Are they really free (to 15)?  Do they have access to all components of the game?  Can they accumulate unlimited credits, can they send mail, can they shout?  Can they trade and use the GTN?  Seems about as free as North Korea, good luck with that one.

i'm waiting to see whats trial means for him, i really do, i'm so curious

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
    Originally posted by defector1968

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

The points are objective and not up for anyone to decide.  They are what they are.

Restrictive components exist in this game, whether it's a lv 15 restriction or a lv 50 restriction.  All I'm saying is that if the OP has issues with the Level 15 restrictions, wait till he/she gets a load of the level 50 ones.

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Well it makes a heckuva lot more sense than what you're arguing: that there should be no restrictions on a free TRIAL.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

The points are objective and not up for anyone to decide.  They are what they are.

Restrictive components exist in this game, whether it's a lv 15 restriction or a lv 50 restriction.  All I'm saying is that if the OP has issues with the Level 15 restrictions, what till he/she gets a load of the level 50 ones.

only that lvl 50 is the cap in this game

• i get that this thread was more to vent about being blocked, but if you would like a small look at the inside of the ships, there is a vid for each one here:

http://www.swtor.com/holonet/starships

no mini games on them except for the scpace combat missions

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Well it makes a heckuva lot more sense than what you're arguing: that there should be no restrictions on a free TRIAL.

Restrictions on a free trial scare customers away.   The OP posted his/her dissatisfaction.  The other 10,000 people did not; they simply left and never logged back on.  It's the problem with EA - they keep treating any single poster as the minority, without realizing that a single poster represents the mindset of a whole group who don't speak up.

When 100 people on the official forums stated they wanted Pazaak or Sabaac, it wasn't just 100 people, it was half the people buying this game.  Same with Swoop Racing.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Restrictions on a free trial scare customers away.   The OP posted his/her dissatisfaction.  The other 10,000 people did not; they simply left and never logged back on.  It's the problem with EA - they keep treating any single poster as the minority, without realizing that a single poster represents the mindset of a whole group who don't speak up.

Why would you NOT put restrictions on trial accounts?  I think it's a terrible choice to allow trial accounts to spam trade/chat/etc because of farmers and bots.  And Spammers.  I don't into a free trial of any MMO expecting to see everything and anything and be allowed to do all there is.  I expect restrictions for the safety of those that actually, you know, pay for the game.  Allowing a bot/spammer to keep making new accounts over and over and over and over and over and over because you think allow free chat/do anything seems to make less sense.

Oh and how many games do not have any restrictions?

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Restrictive components exist in this game, whether it's a lv 15 restriction or a lv 50 restriction.  All I'm saying is that if the OP has issues with the Level 15 restrictions, what till he/she gets a load of the level 50 ones.

only that lvl 50 is the cap in this game

Makeb is level 51+ bro.  It was said in interviews.  There will be a level cap increase.

Originally posted by Swanea

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Why would you NOT put restrictions on trial accounts?  I think it's a terrible choice to allow trial accounts to spam trade/chat/etc because of farmers and bots.  And Spammers.  I don't into a free trial of any MMO expecting to see everything and anything and be allowed to do all there is.  I expect restrictions for the safety of those that actually, you know, pay for the game.  Allowing a bot/spammer to keep making new accounts over and over and over and over and over and over because you think allow free chat/do anything seems to make less sense.

Oh and how many games do not have any restrictions?

Well in the lv 15 trials, EA did put restrictions.  Advertising their lv 50 "FTP" while still having those restrictions (+ more) is a bit of a farce, since it isn't really free to play at this point?  [lv 15 was a demo, and lv 50 is free??] It's free to logon .. but actually playing?  You're now free to drive on a stretch of rocks.  Proceed.

lv 50 is a demo any way you shape it.  F2P is BS.  Anyone playing F2P to lv 50 is going to have the same issues as OP.  The specific issues will be different, but the underlying problem will be the same.  You just can't do everything subscribers can.  For F2P that model is crap.

To your question what games don't do restrictions. focus on Aion first.  It's a beautiful system.  People keep turning their attention to LOTRO and DDO and well, those games aren't doing as well as Aion.  If you want SWTOR to fail, yes, focus on games not doing well.  If you don't know about Aion (NCSoft, publisher of L2, LOL, GW2 also), I, or someone else can explain it.

This thread is getting saturated with off-topic, maybe a new thread is in order.  Ask your question there, you'll get a bunch of answers.

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66

In the old timey days we used to just call it a demo. Its a video game. It lets you play an early area. Most demos, if made well, will take you up to a point where you cant wait to see what happens next, and then take you to a splash screen telling you how much more awesomeness you have to look forward to. You don't get pissed and say, aww man, why didnt they let me play one more level, or do this or that. It's a demo. It's designed to make you want to spend money on the full game so hopefully they can recoup dev costs and hopefully make a profit. Just because it's a mmo game doesnt make it any different. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do and think you'd play it, then make a purchase. Regardless,  it's free entertainment and by default, if you enjoyed yourself at all, it was a bargain. Flame away.

Edit: Is anyone else having a problem with the site's pages looking all screwed up until you reload multiple times? Started for me yesterday.

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

Tou say Trail, I say FTP to 15. 

You ahve to be really shallow to argue that.

[mod edit]

It's called marketing dude. They want you to want more, which you did. Unfortunately for them, in your case, you felt pissed and wronged instead of so excited to see what happens next that you cant whip your credit card out fast enough.

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Just because I don't agree with your point doesn't mean I don't understand.  The fact that you want more of the game proves that trial is serving it's purpose - it's to get you to want more, which you clearly do.  I  simply stated that expecting that the free trial would offer any type of completed experience is a wrong expectation.  You should expect a cliffhanger of some sort.  The whole purpose wasn't to give you a satisfying experince it was to simply to entice you to purchase.

Originally posted by Stryx74

In the old timey days we used to just call it a demo. Its a video game. It lets you play an early area. Most demos, if made well, will take you up to a point where you cant wait to see what happens next, and then take you to a splash screen telling you how much more awesomeness you have to look forward to. You don't get pissed and say, aww man, why didnt they let me play one more level, or do this or that. It's a demo. It's designed to make you want to spend money on the full game so hopefully they can recoup dev costs and hopefully make a profit. Just because it's a mmo game doesnt make it any different. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do and think you'd play it, then make a purchase. Regardless,  it's free entertainment and by default, if you enjoyed yourself at all, it was a bargain. Flame away.

Edit: Is anyone else having a problem with the site's pages looking all screwed up until you reload multiple times? Started for me yesterday.

YES!  have to refresh 2-5 times to get it to display properly .. otherwise the site has all large characters, overlapping, and no structure.

It's not F2P yet.

Free trial is not F2P

[mod edit]

Just because I don't agree with your point doesn't mean I don't understand.  The fact that you want more of the game proves that trial is serving it's purpose - it's to get you to want more, which you clearly do.  I  simply stated that expecting that the free trial would offer any type of completed experience is a wrong expectation.  You should expect a cliffhanger of some sort.  The whole purpose wasn't to give you a satisfying experince it was to simply to entice you to purchase.

This is why EA fails.  It's not F2P at this point.  It's an advertisement, also known as a demo.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

This is why EA fails.  It's not F2P at this point.  It's an advertisement, also known as a demo.

They are talking about a demo/trial, not F2P, so that kinda went without saying.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I know it isn't exactly the point -

but in my opinion you aren't missing much.

It's less of a ship and more of a personal lobby. Just an instance for you to click on a galactic map so you can choose your next loading screen.