Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grind Wars 2

thefounderthefounder Member Posts: 19
Most games... you put forth effort and time to get better at playing your character and improve both your understanding of the game as well as both your gear and appearance... in the best of those games, teammwork is paramount. this creates a sense of achievement. a sense of growth.

in GW2 you put forth massive amount of time and effort to endure a handful of speed farmed puggable dungeons... over and over... just for something to change your appearance. the only thing Legendary about this - is the amount of Grind. if i actually ever got a Legendary i would definitely question my life's goals lol. overall i feel no sense of growth or achievement.  i do find experimenting with the different professions to be interesting but clearly if i dont devote 95% of my time to ONE character. i will never ever get a Legendary within a year, or likely longer, or maybe never.

challenge? all the enemies list their special attacks, every boss is rez zergable. if i look cooler than you it simpy shows i walked away from the red circles more than you did. i've experienced no teammwork or need to ever plan combos or adjust trait builds or utility loadouts. i mean.. PUGs were speed farming Exp mode dungeons in the first week of the game... i'm a casual player of games. and even i find this a bit dull.

revolutionary? i was curious about a game without "the trinity" as people are calling it. flexibility and freedom from established roles sounds like a great thing. but i also didnt want the mess that is GW2 gameplay - just complete chaotic random free for all with zero expectations on your Party members other than they dont stand in the red circle and Rally you if you die.  

welcome to Grind Wars 2? i guess i drank the koolaid.

Comments

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I agree, w v w is pointless after 1 hr cause of the diminishing returns, u actually pay more for repairs then u make after 1 hr of w v w. U can grind karma for gear or grind dungeons. It is just MASSIVE grinding. To craft your own good items u also need to disenchant other exotics/rares, so more grinding there. I just login and play for 30-40 mins now and log off. My guild which ad 140-150 online ppl have only like 50-60 now. Got old fast
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I'm sure you are a fine person to play with. Tonight I played with a group of players and we battled and struggled through the dungeon as people who didn't know the fights slowly learned- we didn't care 1 jot about loot, we finished satisfied and had fun. That is what this game is about- not speed running, not grinding stuff you don't want to do, and worst of all not playing a game you don't enjoy playing.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

ya that pretty much sums it up for me and my guild as well. just dont find there to be any reason to be a part of PVE Guild in this game other than to chat.

without something for guild's to work together towards, whether it be raiding, or truely fun and challenging activities... the game just lacks "motivation" for us. i did find exploring the map to be fun, and some of the jump puzzles. the artwork of the game, the character models and animations are wonderful. but i have map completition now and meh, theres just not much else that motivates me to get online. legendaries? meh my main character uses the Hammer and the Mace. the Hammer looks like a glittery mage staff and the Mace is a disco ball on a stick.  the rifle looks and sounds like a star wars blaster lol. wtf arenanet wtf

the biggest thing that kills GW2 for me: HOW SMALL THE WORLD FEELS AT 80. im sorry but if shiny gear is the ONLY incentive to play, to dinstinguish your character. then you WILL be sitting in Lions Arch and then just instant teleporting to dungeons -A LOT OF DUNGEONS. A LOT lol. seriously think this is actually worse than WoW's dungeon finder system. i might not mind the crazy GW2 grind if i found the dungeons to be fun and challening... nah theyre neither for me.

btw get ready for alot of "stfu theres no sub fee" replies. dissent is not tolerated round these parts haha

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

You kind of have to not care a jot about loot, because dungeons are really only for tokens and the inner satisfaction it can possibly bring you.

So they have simply have more limited appeal than other games' dungeons, which may be a good thing to some players. For everyone else, you're out of luck.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    This has nothing with the quality, itself, to do.  It is about the pholosophy of the company. That´s why Guild Wars 2 isn´t for everyone. Otherwise, the game is heavily focused on fun, and can´t be considered a full time mmo, something that Anet mentioned before, in one way or another.
  • thefounderthefounder Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by cagan
    I agree, w v w is pointless after 1 hr cause of the diminishing returns, u actually pay more for repairs then u make after 1 hr of w v w. U can grind karma for gear or grind dungeons. It is just MASSIVE grinding. To craft your own good items u also need to disenchant other exotics/rares, so more grinding there. I just login and play for 30-40 mins now and log off. My guild which ad 140-150 online ppl have only like 50-60 now. Got old fast

I forgot about WvW. I did like it to a certain extent but my guild got really frustrated with the "invisible army" experience. I know Arenanet has acknowledged it and is "searching for a fix" but damn they said that in beta so im not very confident thats ever gonna get fixed. for anyone that hasnt played WvW... its where a group of defenders or attackers just suddenly appear ontop of your group, seemingly from nowhere like ninjas lol. really frustrating, not to mention all the gold we lose on seige weapons.

basically my guild gets online.. trades some dyes and does "loot groups" for an hour then most just complain in vent about how bored they are. then someone will check for world dragons and we will do one if theyre up. but the World dragons are seriously easier than just about ANY trash pull in ANY dungeon. so anticlimactic.  i'm no pro gamer, im certainly not hardcore. i just dont think this is the game for me.  no sub fee so i guess its a rageless quitting haha. oh well.

happy gaming all.

• kluukluu Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Guild Wars 2 - "It's not for everyone"
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I'm not writing to rant about the game.Though my words may seem to say otherwise.I bought the game to WvW. I REALLY DON"T CARE  FOR PVE  IN GAMES.I've found the WvW in GW2 to be badly flawed with ques..and micro size maps that facilitate almost nothing but zerging.Add to the fact that unless you're a real level 80 and fully equipped...your ability to contribute to the  zerg frenzy  is almost nil.I'm finding it increasingly difficult to make myself pve...especailly with how I feel about the current state of WvW.

My belief in any mmo's ability to satisfy me .....ebbs lower each day.

• thefounderthefounder Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by aphydork

You kind of have to not care a jot about loot, because dungeons are really only for tokens and the inner satisfaction it can possibly bring you.

So they have simply have more limited appeal than other games' dungeons, which may be a good thing to some players. For everyone else, you're out of luck.

what possible "inner satisfaction" do you get from completing these dungeons? dont stand in the red circle, read the special attacks listed on their name. mash buttons... then loot. unless its half the bosses with their WTF stupid mechanics that force Party's to zerg rez it to death.  or the bosses that are twice as easy as a trash pull? i dont find either of these extremes either satisfying, challenging, or fun.

partys need zero communication or teammwork. combos are accidents. and even if you plan them they are insignificant to the outcome.

all this - grinding these same dungeons for a year or more - for a weapon with particle effects. even if i endured the torture of grinding out a Legendary, i wouldnt find equipping it satisfying.

gah sorry to get argumentative. not really in the spirit to even care anymore. just wanted to share my experience. certainly dont want to sour anyone who enjoys this. gg all

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I'm sure you are a fine person to play with. Tonight I played with a group of players and we battled and struggled through the dungeon as people who didn't know the fights slowly learned- we didn't care 1 jot about loot, we finished satisfied and had fun. That is what this game is about- not speed running, not grinding stuff you don't want to do, and worst of all not playing a game you don't enjoy playing.

Ok, so you spent lets say 2 or 3 hours doing that and it was fun and you didnt care about loot.

Now, there are something like 10 dungeons in the game.  Lets assume the same thing happens with those.  Thats 30 hours roughly of play.  Now, how many times do you think it will continue to be fun after you've gone through it once.

Instead of being fun, its going to be annoying.  That person struggling and learning is going to piss you off and make you want to punch kittens because you've seen this crap dungeon 18 times already and you just want your tokens so you can get your piece of armor and never set foot in the place again.

Its all relative.  His point is extremely valid and i think the main reason why this game will dwindle to a very specific core group of players who enjoy the PVP and RVR.  PVE will become a ghost town in a few months. 

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I did kinda participate in killing a world dragon at 35 with my guardian. >_>

Hardest part was dodging the extra mobs from the zone. The dragon itself I just kinda stood under and whacked. :p

As far as raid dungeons go, I don't really see it as being a unique problem though. I'll preface that it's just my opinion though.

I felt more or less the same way about raids in WoW, EQ, and even somewhat with how my friends treated Darkness Falls in DAoC. Asheron's call had a helluva grind for particular great items too.

Or take a gander at the ARPG genre. Grinding endlessly in hopes of getting something shiny is essentially the entire purpose of such games.

In the MMO ganre, it's been the staple in raid mentality for a long time. Maybe it's because they have migrated to a new game and really did not want to experience the the same kinda situation on a different setting, but if you look back on any raid content, grinding ad nauseum was more or less the entire purpose of them.

Not calling it a good thing or acceptable. Just that it's not a problem creeping up out of the blue. It seems more that people are just less interested in familiar treadmills. 

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Hrimner, I am not saying this is your mentality but I did see A lot of this impatient attitude near the end of wow, it was obnoxious. I have probably done ya story 5 or times now with different guildies with varying degrees of success, but we allways have fun - usually through the banter. The dungeons are Complimentary to group play the res is down to player attitude.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

My sense of achievement comes from learning to play all classes with their different weapon combos well.

I can understand how raiders and stat min/maxers can find GW2 "end game" boring. But both alts and WvW will keep me going for a long time. I've chased tha über gear in WOW for years and going back to that is what seems boring to me now. My 2 85s over there will just have to wait.

incidentally, a good friend and WOW guild mate is playing MOP. He started replacing his uber-elite raid gear with level 86 greens almost immediately.... Just like we did in Cataclysm with 81 greens... and then there's all the choreography required in raids. I always feel like I'm doing the time warp with all the exact moves required to not wipe. It's all about learning the tricks and executing them flawlessly. Not a heck of a lot of room for creative fighting. IMHO, GW2 has it all over WOW in that respect.

GW2 is just what the doctor ordered for me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Hrimner, I am not saying this is your mentality but I did see A lot of this impatient attitude near the end of wow, it was obnoxious. I have probably done ya story 5 or times now with different guildies with varying degrees of success, but we allways have fun - usually through the banter. The dungeons are Complimentary to group play the res is down to player attitude.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Is it true you need stuff out mystic chest aswell for the lengendary?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by eGumball
    This has nothing with the quality, itself, to do.  It is about the pholosophy of the company. That´s why Guild Wars 2 isn´t for everyone. Otherwise, the game is heavily focused on fun, and can´t be considered a full time mmo, something that Anet mentioned before, in one way or another.

every game since the first game played was heavily based on fun....

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by bcbully

No lol... where in the world do you get your info bc? 

At leats this time you actually asked if you were correct or not instead of jumping right in to spreading incorrect information. 

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

Its not neccesarily my mentality, its just the truth of what happens.  I dont care how well you design the content, its going to get boring for every person after a certain number of runs.  Some people may only take 10, some may take 50, but at some point everyone is going to get sick of it.

The problem is you're only running the dungeons for one specific reason.  In WOW it was loot or tokens.  In GW2 its tokens.

See, EverQuest 1 got around the problem because running dungeons was the best way to make XP.  So, when you went into a dungeon, loot was secondary, and how much time it took to complete the dungeon didnt mean anything because it was for XP.  Also dungeons were a lot more branching and less linear, etc, but thats another story altogether.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

At leats this time you actually asked if you were correct or not instead of jumping right in to spreading incorrect information. 

I always ask if I don't know.  If I do know and like/dislike I'll tell you about it  ;)

Hmm I wonder what they were speaking of. Is there something in the chest that helps with legendarys?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I always ask if I don't know.  If I do know and like/dislike I'll tell you about it  ;)

Hmm I wonder what they were speaking of. Is there something in the chest that helps with ledgendarys?

No.

For a legendary you will need plenty of skill points (200) and to have 100% discovered the entire world, as well as finding the super rare starter weapon for that legendary and  you will need a tonne of money.

Nothing to do with mystic chests or cash shops.

Mm in gw2 I actually do dungeons for the combination of gold/ecto/xp/playing with guildies in an instance where there is no zerging. Ultimately it will get boring ofc and at that point you should stop ofc- no different from any other game.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Hmm I wonder what they were speaking of. Is there something in the chest that helps with legendarys?

If only that were true, the numerous times you've had to be corrected would indicate it is not though. In any case here's what you need to craft legendary weapons... 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

The Wiki has a great deal of information and can be a valuable resource when you are uncertain of something. 

If only that were true, the numerous times you've had to be corrected would indicate it is not though. In any case here's what you need to craft legendary weapons... 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

The Wiki has a great deal of information and can be a valuable resource when you are uncertain of something. 

Show me (link) one time where my information was wrong. Either that or apologize for lying.  (this is usually when the accuser leaves, or comes back with more talk no link.)

Yes I looked at the wiki already.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    [mod edit]

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    [mod edit]

** Also, another edit, what determines the stars under your name on these forums...seriousily?