Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfalls Wipe, Will It Spread to Other Games.

LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Hi all,

been thinking how the wipe in Darkfall has fueled an inspirating new beginning to the game. So many will come back bumped because the beginning of DF 1.0 was the best of times.

Me and my friends have played paper and pencil Warhammer since 1989. Starting with new characters happens in our game in a cycle of 5-8 years and everytime it is really fresh to start anew.

Now to the point of this post. Could wiping become something MMOPRG game companies could do the spark up new beginnings to gaming worlds? Imagine if all wow servers would wipe. What a rush to grind back to top lvls and through all dungeons people haven't seen or been in for years... hundreds-thousands of people running quests back in Barren etc. And we have to admit that even though we love our characters a lot, games will get dull in time no matter what.

Yes I know this isn't realistic to think it actually happened now. But we'll see if Darkfalls new start is succesfull and if it is, what signal that sents to other gaming companies. Could this be a succesfull recipe to bring new fresh beginnings to many games?

Comments

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    i dont know about a wipe, but i would like to see a lot of older games start a fresh new server with all the addon's that they've put in since the begninning. a lot of times it to much to start a game from scrath 3 or 4 years down the road, only being able to rely on peopls alt's to level with
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

They are a small company and obviously decided that running the old game and the new one would both cost too much and split their small playerbase.

Larger companies seem to not be doing this (not many examples mind you). The biggest example is AOE with EQNext. It is also an entire reinvention of the original game (even more-so than DF:UW) yet they plan on running all 3 games still: EQ, EQ2 and EQNext (or whatever it's live name will be. I imagine this is a development name or perhaps becomes so popular it sticks).

If Turbine had a f%cking brain anymore they would remake AC and likely still keep AC running too at least to for a while. If a license swaps companies then you could have a SWG type scenario then one game would be forced to shut down when the new one comes out like SWTOR (completely different game and situation but could apply to a total remake too). 

Several factors would play into the differences and perhaps a game like WAR just isn't popular enough and a remake would justify shutting the original down. I'd say each game would have to be judged individually for varying reasons.

You stay sassy!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

NO becuase DF was NOT the dev teams vision,the greek guy simpl;y wanted a game and found a super bargain bin price.It simply allowed him to  get his feet wet.

Most game/devs have a vision and start the design before a team is even hired.If they  need to reboot the design after that,they simply put a poor effort into pre design phase or ruined the game along the way so badly they needed to get it back to where it was good.

The first idea is obvious,the second we have seen fro mexamples of SWG and FFXI.Both those games were great but soemwhere along the way someone or some board agreed on really bad game changes that totally ruined the game.In those cases i would love to see a reboot,but imo the smarter way to go is just keep the changes for those that like them and create new servers to run the game of old that others liked.

What i can actually see is developers start to create multi path game designs,allowing for more choice from it's player base.We already have seen games utilize a open pvp server or a RP server or a PVE server,but they can go a lot further than that with the designs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Most of the games are not failures as much as DF so I do not think other developers will adopt this "feature"...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    No, it won't really do that. In all actuallity, Sega did this with the phantasy star series (granted much of the content was forunately player side until the very latest game). Its more so a 'we won't make enough money off this, scrap it" decision that is meant to just to save on server costs and give the new game more player base they hope they can keep from the old game. At the same time, people can be unhappy at having all their old stuff taken away and it might prevent them from jumping to the new game as well.
  • LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Most of the games are not failures as much as DF so I do not think other developers will adopt this "feature"...

For me, played Darkfall +18 months, it wasn't a failure. It was:

- fresh blast when so many games were so alike.

- best adrenaline rushes in market (even till this day) out of any MMO.  A game where you can have your heart beat 120bpm when herb gathering :)

- the input and committement how players are part of the world and its events was unbelievable comparing to all wow clones were, when end game hits, people wait in hubs for their next raid/pvp -insta with people they never seen and with names they dont remember. In Darkfall there were many famous and infamous players everyone knew. We lived our world and knew a lot of people in it.

But it is a niche game, FFA loot has and will drive tens of thousands of players away if not hundreds of thousands. So I quess can call it a failure based on subs. But for many it is best one out there.

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

Yeah DarkFall was not a failure. It simply has a smaller (much smaller) audience. It was a blast to play except for the interface which made me nuts because I was also playing other games and the difference was just to much. I'm old my mental elasticity is not what it used to be.

Companies that build what they think will be the woW killer are the only ones who really fail. Those Darkfall guys made no bones about the fact that the game was designed for a niche audience.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Lesrach

Now to the point of this post. Could wiping become something MMOPRG game companies could do the spark up new beginnings to gaming worlds?

Probably not because most of the other devs already know the outcome - a couple months of high pop and then massive drop as people return to their old servers. Meanwhile, the old servers suffered a couple months of low pop in the process.

Those who do not know history are fated to repeat it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Prankster

Yeah DarkFall was not a failure. It simply has a smaller (much smaller) audience. It was a blast to play except for the interface which made me nuts because I was also playing other games and the difference was just to much. I'm old my mental elasticity is not what it used to be.

Companies that build what they think will be the woW killer are the only ones who really fail. Those Darkfall guys made no bones about the fact that the game was designed for a niche audience.

I agree, other games will walk an already-walked path in attempt to catch up with the pathmaker in order to be the first. Darkfall went their own path since day 1 and has walked down their own grass ever since with few to none in their backs. Df was never a failure it just wasn't ment for an average traveler. A wipe would be okay for DF because DF UW will just start at where it left off and continue walking new paths every day with none else in their back to compete with

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Now to the point of this post. Could wiping become something MMOPRG game companies could do the spark up new beginnings to gaming worlds?

Probably not because most of the other devs already know the outcome - a couple months of high pop and then massive drop as people return to their old servers. Meanwhile, the old servers suffered a couple months of low pop in the process.

The Wipe I'm talking about, this whole thread is about, would contain all servers of a particular game, that is the catch. There is no turning back, when everyone is having a new beginning, that is the only way to do it. There wouldn't be "old "servers to go back to.

If you love the game, and most likely, you have been playing the last 5% of the content, that you have been running through for 2-4 years now, a forced wipe might bring new light, spirit and healthy competition to the game.

After the moaning and cries of all belowed characters with all their epic this and that they had, people would go mad grinding their new Chars in game they love and know so much about...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

The Wipe I'm talking about, this whole thread is about, would contain all servers of a particular game, that is the catch. There is no turning back, when everyone is having a new beginning, that is the only way to do it. There wouldn't be "old "servers to go back to.

If you love the game, and most likely, you have been playing the last 5% of the content, that you have been running through for 2-4 years now, a forced wipe might bring new light, spirit and healthy competition to the game.

After the moaning and cries of all belowed characters with all their epic this and that they had, people would go mad grinding their new Chars in game they love and know so much about...

It's clear you're a fan and you truly have faith that people will find this a refreshing start. However, all examples of restart, wipe or merge that were not part of the original design in the past decade and a half of MMOs have shown at best an initial burst and then attrition worse than before the wipe/restart/merge. From Shadowbane to AC Verdantine to the disasterous collapse of MMOs throughout the past four years, the 'fresh new start' works better in theory than in practice.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre