Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veteran Beta Testers

skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252
Hopefully, the devs bring back the veterans from DF1 for obvious reasons. I would hate to see a bunch of people get in that really do not understand the problems from 1. Overall, I think they are making great compromises to ensure the game works well in the long run.

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by skamper
    Hopefully, the devs bring back the veterans from DF1 for obvious reasons. I would hate to see a bunch of people get in that really do not understand the problems from 1. Overall, I think they are making great compromises to ensure the game works well in the long run.

Yes,  they did such a good job the first time.     AV has proven that they don't really listen much to their community.  

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    They did? I loaded DF up and uninstalled within 5mins
  • WhisperXIIIWhisperXIII Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

Funny, I've had it installed for 3.5 years straight...

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
  • Spool1Spool1 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    People cant trash the game if they havn't played it with clans for at least a few months. single player experience in DFO is pretty lame, but can be done. Clan warfair is where it is at.
  • MandatoryDDsMandatoryDDs Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Spool1
    People cant trash the game if they havn't played it with clans for at least a few months. single player experience in DFO is pretty lame, but can be done. Clan warfair is where it is at.

But I also think thats something that will have to change for the game to really make it there has to be things for people to do solo which is what was great about UO. I personally loved buying and selling houses I spent a lot of time doing that in UO.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Spool1

I guess that means I'm allowed to trash the game then. 

• TopherpunchTopherpunch Member UncommonPosts: 86

Honestly you can trash the game all you would like. Fact is, even with all the problems DFO has, DFO is still the best MMO out there. Sure the community is small and there are a few OP things, but the fun factor is way up compared to any other game on the market, that is of course of the same genre. Find me another sandbox MMO that can compare to DFO. Also try to look through all of those newer mainstream MMO's that are on on the top of lists all over the net, they are carebear and they do not support the veteran player anymore. You used to be able to play a game for years and make a name for yourself, now all of these MMO's are like the Starbuck's, you go in get your coffee and screw, no one cares that you were there. In DFO you not only make a name for yourself, you make a name for your clan. All these people on these forums comparing GW2, WoW, Rift, etc to DFO have no idea what they are talking about, DFO is in a league of its own. All you other carebears can go collect berries, or 10 cow asses for your quest givers, while I PK someone and take their steed and ride off in the sunset with a pocketful of awesomeness.

Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

• elvrageelvrage Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Topherpunch

Honestly you can trash the game all you would like. Fact is, even with all the problems DFO has, DFO is still the best MMO out there. Sure the community is small and there are a few OP things, but the fun factor is way up compared to any other game on the market, that is of course of the same genre. Find me another sandbox MMO that can compare to DFO. Also try to look through all of those newer mainstream MMO's that are on on the top of lists all over the net, they are carebear and they do not support the veteran player anymore. You used to be able to play a game for years and make a name for yourself, now all of these MMO's are like the Starbuck's, you go in get your coffee and screw, no one cares that you were there. In DFO you not only make a name for yourself, you make a name for your clan. All these people on these forums comparing GW2, WoW, Rift, etc to DFO have no idea what they are talking about, DFO is in a league of its own. All you other carebears can go collect berries, or 10 cow asses for your quest givers, while I PK someone and take their steed and ride off in the sunset with a pocketful of awesomeness.

You are my new god.

• GKnyghtGKnyght Member Posts: 4

Well said. It's true Darkfall is not for everyone. It is rough for new players to get started, but once you build your skills and get involved in clan warfare there is an even greater sense of accomplishment having made the transition from newbie to pvp viable to vet. Ultimately you cannot put Darkfall in the same category as other MMO's that are all about tab-targeting and instanced pvp. There is no comparison.

• Esbat77Esbat77 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

Aww you must have been one of the care bear types who left the city and got killed.. or maybe one that got beat down by a goblin because  you just stand there and shoot like in other games =p

• kobliha87akobliha87a Member Posts: 11

Very well said sir.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Vets are going apeshit over the simplicity of the game.  The skill-bar for the high end has been lowered dramatically.  Vets can no longer have their super-characters.  

Letting vets test the new system would not produce anything positive whatsoever as the old game is gone - and the vets would just say make it more like df 1. (ps. I agree it should be more like df 1 with a higher bar for endgame skill)

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by psykobilly

Vets are going apeshit over the simplicity of the game.  The skill-bar for the high end has been lowered dramatically.  Vets can no longer have their super-characters.  

Letting vets test the new system would not produce anything positive whatsoever as the old game is gone - and the vets would just say make it more like df 1. (ps. I agree it should be more like df 1 with a higher bar for endgame skill)

I'm a vet and I love the new approach, I got a bit bored with my super-alfar-god-king who no one could challenge after a while, but if the disparity between a maxxed out character and a newb is much less, and the grind is far reduced, the game will be a lot more fun imho and a lot more long-lasting.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Entinerint

I'm a vet and I love the new approach, I got a bit bored with my super-alfar-god-king who no one could challenge after a while, but if the disparity between a maxxed out character and a newb is much less, and the grind is far reduced, the game will be a lot more fun imho and a lot more long-lasting.

You are probably right...

But you are not like the 'elite' vets I read on the df forums.

But for example, a mage will have in theory 19 spells at endgame (5 minor, 5 major, 5 primary, 4 secondary).  I had more buffs than 19 in df 1.  And then another 60+ spells.  The game is vastly simplified and I think maybe just a bit too much so.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

But for example, a mage will have in theory 19 spells at endgame (5 minor, 5 major, 5 primary, 4 secondary).  I had more buffs than 19 in df 1.  And then another 60+ spells.  The game is vastly simplified and I think maybe just a bit too much so.

I'm not a fan of the reduction of spells or anything, but the major problem with DF1 was that most vets like us could do everything on one character.

Skill caps or class limitations are going to make the game a lot more dynamic and strategic imo.

Honestly, I do wish they'd stuck with skills instead of roles so we could make hybrids: I honestly think Mortal Online's skill system is absolutely the best MMO progression system I've ever seen.  Too bad the rest of the game is pretty empty and bad.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Yes.......a pity that everyone was using only 10 of them, and all pretty much the same ones.

I prefer DF:UW approach by a long shot.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Yes,  they did such a good job the first time.     AV has proven that they don't really listen much to their community.  

Haha what? Almost all the changes are based off what we asked for.

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252

Well, I am a vet and I like the new idea behind the game. I just hope it's not Darkfall 1 graphics and combat with some minor changes.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

it's quite the opposite actually; having fewer skills means a lot more planning and strategic thinking is required on the player's part. That's gameplay complexity, not simplicity.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by ste2000

Yes.......a pity that everyone was using only 10 of them, and all pretty much the same ones.

Heal

Witches Brew

Mana to stam

Stam to Health

Health to mana

Wof

Confusion

Archery Disabling shot

2 handed normal attack

2 handed whirlwind

Eye rot

That's eleven right there. I haven't even touched buffs or damage spells.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by ste2000

Heal

Witches Brew

Mana to stam

Stam to Health

Health to mana

Wof

Confusion

Archery Disabling shot

2 handed normal attack

2 handed whirlwind

Eye rot

That's eleven right there. I haven't even touched buffs or damage spells.

And there is the main problem with original Darkfall.

Not only did you need to grind every magic school, archery, and melee before you could dream of fighting in PvP.

But you had to create elaborate macro systems to manage the 25+ buffs and 20+ situational abilities. Virtually everyone was a copy of on another, but unlike an FPS game where everyone is a copy of one another... you had to grind to become that copy. It was awful.

Unholy Wars will be far more strategic because you'll actually have to think about group makeup and roles and what you want people to focus on. You can't all heal, all do crowd control, all be melee masters, all do damage all at the same time.

That's a retarded system, one almost everyone is glad is gone.