Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Achievements-Do they appeal to you? Why?

2»

Comments

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

I tend not to pay attention to that, if I happen to to get an achievement for doing something then so be it. 

When I played WoW I hardly ever looked at the list there, just wanted to play. 

Now if there was some unique rewards then that would be cool, but just to get a title that nobody really pays attention to...well no thanks.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by aphydork

The problem with titles giving stats is that there would be some titles that are more useful than others, and people would flock to those titles.

Then you'd see every other person you pass by with Tough for PvP for +40 HP, like in early Aion.

That's not a problem with titles, that's a problem with their implementation. Titles just just as easily be cumulative bonuses ro selectable bonuses.

As for the types of rewards, LOTRO is very good at offering rewards based on the type of gameplay that would most commonly lead to the achievement and the reward types that those players would be most disposed to or would benefit most from.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I pay no attention whatsoever to achievements.  When it pops up, I ignore it.  I certainly didn't try to do anything, why should I get excited when I managed to do something that I didn't try to do, or even know about in the first place?

It's all ego-stroking and that's irrelevant to me.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

I think achievements with a purpose are alright.

Completing achievements can actually be fun. It does have more sinister tones though I believe. They are addictive. Its like stickerbooks when you were a kid (if you ever had them), those blank slots are annoying and you desperately want to fill them up. This was evident again in Pokemon (all those blank pages of the Pokedex and "gotta catch em all" etc).

In WoW you get nice shiny icons and points and some achievements give you mounts and titles etc but I genuinly believe it gets people hooked and makes them play more.

LOTRO also does this now with traits and deeds which give you turbine points to spend at the store potentially encouraging you to pay for more turbine points with real money.

In conclusion I think its a clever tactic to keep people playing a game but its not really necessary if the gameplay itself makes the game worthwhile.

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

That's not a problem with titles, that's a problem with their implementation. Titles just just as easily be cumulative bonuses ro selectable bonuses.

As for the types of rewards, LOTRO is very good at offering rewards based on the type of gameplay that would most commonly lead to the achievement and the reward types that those players would be most disposed to or would benefit most from.

When titles are cumulative, you run into the problem of them serving as an unseen stat stick--a piece of gear that upgrades over time that you grind for.

It no longer becomes optional. It becomes necessary. Raiders or players doing end-game will have to grind out titles, and unless the achievements affect your entire account (which comes with problems of its own), new characters are at a distinct disadvantage over older, more established characters.

If the titles provide almost insignificant stat bonuses, very people will care enough to get them. If they provide small bonuses that add up quickly, you will have players finding it necessary to grind out titles to be as strong as players who have been around for much longer.

Also, you might see this as just in the case of WoW. You would be wrong. Vindictus has this system.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I set my own goals and decide my own achievements.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    the player that done all achivements in a game is the only player that beat the game
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    No, they are pointless. To me, being able to say "I beat this" feels more satisfying then seeing a box pop up saying 'you have beaten this'. It just doesn't do much of anything for me. Then theres plenty of other achievements that just are pointless 'tasks' that really I don't feel all that much pride in doing. Over-all, they can make some sense, but other things they add just make me shake my head at them.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

As real achievement has been stripped out of games as they have become easier they seem now to have had these synthetic 'achievements' included in order to try and make the player pleased with himself.

I find most 'achievements' in games pretty worthless and never aim for them. I know when I have done something worthy, I don't need an artificial pat on the back for picking my nose (so to speak...)

• sekuharadaioosekuharadaioo Member Posts: 22
    i don't really care about the achievements, but anyway its a good way for a casual game to attract and satisfy hardcore players.

Games currently playing:
    ------------------------
    Pro Evolution Soccer
    World of Warcraft
    Light of Nova
    League of Legends