Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you feel that GW2 deserves the critical acclaim it's gotten from the press and gaming sites?

Comments

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Aerowyn 

i see your point.. although see theirs as well.. mostly people view carrot/stick games as synonymous with gear treadmills it's sort of the defining feature of that type of game and always has been imho. Not sure on the block though.. i just read several of your posts and don't really see any reason why someone would need to block you

I tried to explain several times that the "eternal grind", in GW2, was only optional. He ignored what I was saying to repeat the same stuff again. There's no third time, I won't waste more of my time arguing with someone who doesn't listen.

Fact is there's no mandatory grind at 80 in GW2 to be/remain competitive, neither PvE nor PvP wise. Anyone pretending otherwise is not telling the truth, and I don't see why I would waste time arguing with someone who uses flawed argumentation and wrong facts as basis and doesn't even read what I'm saying.

He actually asked me to give an example of carrot/stick in GW2 and said he wasn't satisfied. So he requested that 3rd response.

Carrot/stick may be a common description used to describe WoW and similar games gear treadmill.

I still think the larger since of the colloquialism could be applied to all games.

There are rewards, but you have to work for them. To me, that always has and always will be carrot/stick.  I don't think it is a bad description.

I agreed with him about the gear treadmill, but he was so offended at my use of 'carrot/stick'; he blocked me. Even though he asked for my response.

I don't feel like a bad person for saying that GW2 has rewards with incentives.

This isn't my problem.

oops, quoted instead of editing.

Originally posted by halflife25

There is no strict way to define 'carrot on the stick'  It is open to interpretation. Even mere cosmetic gear or weapons can very well be carrot on the stick.

If someone is blocking you for giving your opinion.....trust me that person isn't worth talking to in first place.

Agreed. That was my last word; thx for support.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well i dunno if this is the best game of all times, or the game which will change our lifes BUT nobody can disagree thats the best MMO this year and considered to other releases its far far away better, than vanilla WoW, or whatever.

yes there are problems i see them too, but compared with the rest MMOs out there you cant disagree, even if they dont pay you ...

you can continue your whinnies ; )

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Yes, GW2 deserves all the positive press & crictical acclaim it recieves hands down one of the best theme-parkers MMO's to be released in a long time, GW2 isn't a lazy copy and paste WoW clone #20 its comes load with innovations & high production values wrapped in the B2P model which allows me to play other games, what more do I want.
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    It's a good game, but with the number of broken skill points all over the place, and the exploits and broken WvW systems, it's rated higher than it should be.  It also continues a trend that I find worrying in emphasizing solo or small group play to the exclusion of large group play.  With party sizes limited to five, if you have 6-9 people who like play together, there is no instanced end-game PvE content they can all do together.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by loulaki

well i dunno if this is the best game of all times, or the game which will change our lifes BUT nobody can disagree thats the best MMO this year and considered to other releases its far far away better, than vanilla WoW, or whatever.

yes there are problems i see them too, but compared with the rest MMOs out there you cant disagree, even if they dont pay you ...

I think here a lot of people who disagree, but by all means, continue living in your bubble.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

Yes I definitely think it deserves all the hype and praise it got, considering that predecessors like SWOTOR and FF14 got way more and were, IMHO, absolute shit when it came to delivering on that hype(especially FF 14). 

A huge infestation of bugs, both technical (crash to desktop) and gameplay (skills, traits,etc) related keep it from being the prefect commodity however.

It is a good game and well worth the money I spent on it. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I think here a lot of people who disagree, but by all means, continue living in your bubble.

Why aren't you playing what you think is the "best MMO this year" then, and post on its forums to improve its community, instead of posting here? Good question, heh?

(I expect the usual nonsensical answer "because I can", or something similar)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

please help me to get out of my bubble and show me the best MMO released this year, i challenge you to add and the previous year!

; )

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

please help me to get out of my bubble and show me the best MMO released this year, i challenge you to add and the previous year!

; )

You have to determine what the best MMO is for you, but double negatives aside, making blanket statements like "nobody can disagree that it's the best MMO this year" will prove you wrong 100% of the time.

Optional PvP = No PvP
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Why aren't you playing what you think is the "best MMO this year" then, and post on its forums to improve its community, instead of posting here? Good question, heh?

(I expect the usual nonsensical answer "because I can", or something similar)

No. For a thread titled 'do you feel GW2 deserves the critical acclaim.."? 

I expect to see opinions on both sides.

So, I think a better question is, why did you expect a pro/con topic to only include the pros?

p.s. This guy is blocking me so that he doesn't have to see negative opinions of GW2; so really I'm just talking to myself...

p.p.s I also can't deny that I think GW2 is the best new online game to come out this year. No question really. Doesn't mean I think it deserves the level of acclaim it has received - so careful fans before you put me on your shoulders.

• nero0102nero0102 Member Posts: 74

My specific personal experience is just that ArenaNet is committing credit card fraud.  I haven't been able to play the game since I bought it over a week ago.

I'm stuck with trying to get my credit card company to get my money back from them right now.  So everything would pretty much be a 0 rating.  For me the game doesn't exist, their support is terrible, and the whole episode will taint all future games from NCSoft/ArenaNet.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    People miss the gear grind. Simple as that. If they add that in with later content the game is near perfect. More side stuff would be a plus too. Guild castles and player housing, with decorations to earn, guild versus guild matches in the future? I hope so. I think the game is a solid platform, but I'm not gonna lie, you do run out of things to do atm.

You have to determine what the best MMO is for you, but double negatives aside, making blanket statements like "nobody can disagree that it's the best MMO this year" will prove you wrong 100% of the time.

well best is something compared to others its doing its job much better.

so between these years (lets say 2010-12), inform me for an MMORPG with 1) better gameplay (only TERA could reach the dynamic combat, but again its static skills burn it to the ground) 2) better graphics - art - enviroment 3) better PvP features (even if i would like open world PvP, the huge but instanced, WvW is awesome compared to the battlegrounds.. and the sPvP has all the potentials for TRUE competitive gameplay) 4) the ammount of innovetions like the break of holy trinity, the dynamiic events at the scale and the polish, the crafting, etc ... 5) and all these in B2P format ...

all these compared to other games place that one far ahead, and yes there are problems and big ones ,as the dungeon rewards, the lack of a proper beta(which leads to the bugs), the broken economy, etc but again compared to others again its far ahead ...

i still wait from your part to show me a game whicch have done better than GW2 in these 2-3 months ...

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

; )

Kind a bad year if a game like GW2 is the best... 

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    GW 2 is no doubt a well made game; it's just a little on the dull side.
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

It deserves accolades for being a great game (I firmly believe that).

But being a long-time MMORPG player, this game is  not an MMORPG.  So to give it any praise as that is simply underserving.

It's like saying "Pulp Fiction" is a brilliant comedy.  Brilliant film, yes.  Comedy?  May have some elements but that hardly makes it one.

It's much more of a mmo than, say, SWTOR. I wonder what exactly defines a mmo in some people's minds, monthly subscription, lol? It's at least as much a mmo as a WoW is, and if you don't consider WoW a mmo, then...

I do consider WoW an MMORPG. GW2 I do not.  For me it lacks too many RPG elements to be considered one.  Hence, I would call it an MMO but not an MMORPG.

That's just silly to the point of laughable.  By definition, it's a role-playing game as it has structured character development, advancement, story, etc.  which are the elements that define 'role-playing' game.

Unless, of course, you decide to make up your own definitions so you can bash a game...  

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by botrytis

But being a long-time MMORPG player, this game is  not an MMORPG.  So to give it any praise as that is simply underserving.

It's like saying "Pulp Fiction" is a brilliant comedy.  Brilliant film, yes.  Comedy?  May have some elements but that hardly makes it one.

It's much more of a mmo than, say, SWTOR. I wonder what exactly defines a mmo in some people's minds, monthly subscription, lol? It's at least as much a mmo as a WoW is, and if you don't consider WoW a mmo, then...

I do consider WoW an MMORPG. GW2 I do not.  For me it lacks too many RPG elements to be considered one.  Hence, I would call it an MMO but not an MMORPG.

It is an MMORPG, no matter what your opinion is. That is fact.

No, it is not a Sandbox and if yo only call those MMORPG's, then you are missing a huge amount of games.

WoW and GW2 have many traits that are similar, so calling one an MMORPG and the other not, is just your bias and not reality.

It's not a fact that it's an MMORPG.  If it is, what scientific law has declared it as such?  Just because ANET wants to call it that doesn't mean it's true.

I do not consider it an MMORPG.  If I did, I'd probably have to consider Diablo 3 an MMORPG as well since they both share a great deal of similarities.

IT.  IS.  A.  FACT.

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development

YOU do not get to define the genre or ignore the game elements and then declare 'fact' and 'win.'      You made a claim.  You not only provided no proof, but you also are clearly using a tortured defintion of 'role-playing game' when you include WoW as a role-playing MMO and GW2 is not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

; )

^ That being said, you are saying release wise, your basically giving it very little competition to go against outside F2P launches.  If your meaning thats actually out, then I can highly disagree. A statement that intends on capturing everyones opinion will be false. Even if there was a 'best MMO of the year' you wouldn't be able to make that statement since there are likely people who would disagree.

Not the worst game though for me, it wasn't worth the $60 at all. Had more fun playing Torchlight 2 for far longer then I ever did forcing myself to play GW2 to give it a chance. Again, its a personal opinion but just taking in the facts of GW2, theres no doubting their are flaws to the game and many people simply won't find enjoyment out of it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by botrytis

It is an MMORPG, no matter what your opinion is. That is fact.

No, it is not a Sandbox and if yo only call those MMORPG's, then you are missing a huge amount of games.

WoW and GW2 have many traits that are similar, so calling one an MMORPG and the other not, is just your bias and not reality.

It's not a fact that it's an MMORPG.  If it is, what scientific law has declared it as such?  Just because ANET wants to call it that doesn't mean it's true.

I do not consider it an MMORPG.  If I did, I'd probably have to consider Diablo 3 an MMORPG as well since they both share a great deal of similarities.

IT.  IS.  A.  FACT.

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development

YOU do not get to define the genre or ignore the game elements and then declare 'fact' and 'win.'      You made a claim.  You not only provided no proof, but you also are clearly using a tortured defintion of 'role-playing game' when you include WoW as a role-playing MMO and GW2 is not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

thought this was a decent comparison of how stories are presented and why I feel even if the dialogue or overall story may be little more engrossing in swtor in GW2 overall has a better delivery in allowing you to define what "role" you get to play in the RPG aspect of the game.. from the starting choices to choosing which of the 3 factions you join to all the choices inbetween that define what path you take throughout the story.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/previews/personal-story-gw2-vs-class-quests-swtor#comment-form

also on that note diablo is in fact a action RPG just does not contain the MM part to make it a MMORPG

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30
    GW2 is a good game, but not as good as many of the reviews say it is,it does lack content once you are at max level, then again this is my opinion.
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

the argument i hate, which i see everywhere, is "it's not the second coming of jesus. it doesn't deserve the acclaim." a game can be critically acclaimed and fantastic without being the best thing in the world. every medium knows this except mmos. mmo players just can't get their heads around this concept.

so does gw2 deserve the acclaim? yes. it's a really fantastic game. is it reinventing the genre? yes. dynamic events and active combat are the waves of the future. just look at any mmo that's slated to be released in the next year or two. is it the second coming of [insert deity of choice here]? no. it's a video game. it's not the best thing since sliced bread, but that doesn't stop it from being really good.

• knuckledust13knuckledust13 Member Posts: 22

People who wrote the critics regarding GW2 played how much? Probably up to level 30 or something? Until there, the game is truly awesome. From level 40 and on, you start seeing how rushed the game was. Besides bugged SPs and DEs everywhere, the game just lacks content. It has a handful of "Dynamic Events", which are old warhammer public quests with another name, and it has 6 dungeons or so. There is absolutely nothing else to do.

Not to mention the bots are infesting the game and ArenaNet has been doing nothing about it. I reported some bots over one month ago and those still on the very same spot farming the very same DE over and over.

All the promises they made on the Manifesto were not delivered. The game world does not change, there is huge and abysmal grind and rushed designs, such as elite skills.

This game is a disappointment, I bet any reviewer who plays up to level 80 will agree with me here.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by knuckledust13

People who wrote the critics regarding GW2 played how much? Probably up to level 30 or something? Until there, the game is truly awesome. From level 40 and on, you start seeing how rushed the game was. Besides bugged SPs and DEs everywhere, the game just lacks content. It has a handful of "Dynamic Events", which are old warhammer public quests with another name, and it has 6 dungeons or so. There is absolutely nothing else to do.

Not to mention the bots are infesting the game and ArenaNet has been doing nothing about it. I reported some bots over one month ago and those still on the very same spot farming the very same DE over and over.

All the promises they made on the Manifesto were not delivered. The game world does not change, there is huge and abysmal grind and rushed designs, such as elite skills.

This game is a disappointment, I bet any reviewer who plays up to level 80 will agree with me here.

sounds like you haven't played this game at all:) if you layed out side by side all the features of GW2 and all the content it currently has against any themepark at their release in the last several years GW2 would be leaps ahead of any of them. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    not only is it overhyped and doesnt deserve its acclaim, its a step in the wrong direction for mmo's [ personal point of view, bite me fanboy ( self +1 for quoting LOBO ) ], and calling it revolutionary is a slap in the face for a big part of the old school crowd,,,

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!