Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So will DF:UW be a real deal Sandbox this time around, or a open endgame themepark like the first ga

Comments

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

A sandbox doesn´t need to be 100% to be considerer as one.

A true sandbox is xsyon or uo, but is this mean that df is not a sandbox cos doesn´t have so many options? Not at all.

Just a different kind of sandbox. At least in my opinion.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

why do i keep replying in threads started by exposed?  it's like feeding the trolls... wait it's not LIKE feeding trolls, it IS feeding trolls.

well i guess "get people to post" is what spotlight posters are sposed to do so he / she is doing their job :)

my 2cp...

People (with sense) are arguing about whether DF1 was more sandbox or more like a CS type of game with levels.  I say 'with sense' because to call it a theme-park mmo is nonsense.at no point in my 3 months DF experience did i feel like i was moving myself from station to station and just performing the activities that were designed for me at those stations (this being the definition of a theme-park, THINK about how the example relates to actually literally going to a theme park!).

to me what causes the argument of "pvp arena vs MMO sandbox" is the lack of punishment for pvp actions.  To me a sandbox MMO does NOT stop people from doing something such as kill a player who is brand new in a fight the new player cannot hope to win.  HOWEVER the sandbox mmo DOES punish the criminal player.  A la EVE online and the inevitable "concordokken" that will hit the criminal if they do this in high sec, or a la L2 where red players have a chance to drop their loot, and can't gain exp at the same rate as non-red.

Sandbox MMO is sposed to be a virtual world with systems to let its players interact within the world.  one of those systems has to be a police of some sort.

I have heard people argue that DF is like the real world, if someone wants to harm you then you'd best be on your guard because nobody's going to stop them.   to which i would reply... in the real world we have these things called consequences for our actions.  someone who wishes to harm me had best weigh the satisfaction of harming me (i can think of a few ex girl friends who might be doing this as we speak... shiver) vs the punishment they would have to face of going to jail.

if DF had a more robust police in place i dont think there would be any real largument over whether or not its a sandbox.

thanks for reading.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by TheHavok

How exactly was DFO an open ended themepark?  What does that even mean?

I have been playing games for over 20+ years, it is not a real term...the kid made it up and has his own definition of what it means I am sure.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by stugurt
    sandbox building would improve gameplay drastically. Predesignated keeps made the game linear and stale.

I know a lot would like to build houses everywhere they can, but we have to be carefull for what we ask. I played UO, and in that game we could place a house anywhere if we found a spot. The whole world was littered with houses, and it was like running in a city most of the places.

http://andygirvan.com/2010/07/ultima-online-an-isometric-trip-down-memory-lane/

I know some of you have a fantasy you will be able to build a house away from other players, but that is just a dream. In UO every single flat spot all over the world had a house, tower or castle. This is how Darkfall will be if they let us build houses where we want.

http://www.mac512.com/uo/darkinn.html

Look how close those three houses are and just scale it up. You had more nature in New york than in a flat area in UO.

I  hope DF will have more house spots, but in designated places.

wait wait wait, do you want a Themepark or a Sandbox?

simple question really. You are just sitting back trying to defend DF1's themeparkish design with the negatives of a sandbox game.

logically doesnt fit the discussion, since thats the whole reason Themepark concept was made, to address the many negative aspects of Sandbox MMO like UO.

your argument seem to be the same as those themepark mmo designers, not of a sandbox.

So your theory is that a 'real' sandbox designer ignores the negative aspects of a Sandbox mmo.......because that would make him a themepark designer....

And you talk about what logically fits the discussion.....

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Its going to be a battle arena FFA full loot pvp game with crafting and clan seiges.  Nothing more.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    This thread....

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Zorgo

So your theory is that a 'real' sandbox designer ignores the negative aspects of a Sandbox mmo.......because that would make him a themepark designer....

You just described how most posters here envision a sandbox - go anywhere, do anything..

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Its going to be a battle arena FFA full loot pvp game with crafting and clan seiges.  Nothing more.

I did more than that tiny list in the first Darkfall. Out of curiosity, how did you find the new role system during your play time in UW?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

wait wait wait, do you want a Themepark or a Sandbox?

Themepark concept was made, to address the many negative aspects of Sandbox MMO like UO.

your argument seem to be the same as those themepark mmo designers, not of a sandbox.

Yes, in your deranged world UO wasn`t a sandbox either.

"Darkfall isn`t a sandbox, because I can`t fly a spaceship with my gay wookie char."  WTF?

What you are looking for isn`t  a sandbox, it`s called a trollbox. A trollbox mmo never have and never will excist. Trollbox mmos only appear  in forums when trolls try to defend their shallow, boring and linear themepark games. Darkfall is a true sandbox and one of the very few out there. I want you to name ONE game that fits your weird vision of a sandbox, and If you can`t  I`ll just call you a pathetic, lying troll.

Now please go back to your Lotr game and kill som NPC orcs .....Legolas....Haha

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Perfect

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Hancakes

Perfect

Not at all. Boring. Fine for those that want that, but not for peeps that want a sandbox MMO.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Do you even know what a themepark is? Holy hell.

You can't have an "open ended themepark" just like you can't have a "public instance".

Although I agree with your premise, Anarchy Online had Public Instances...kinda like different servers for the same dungeon...first of its kind actually...I know...Im reading way too far into it.

Can't believe that someone would actually use themepark with Darkfall though...not even close

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by itchmon

why do i keep replying in threads started by exposed?  it's like feeding the trolls... wait it's not LIKE feeding trolls, it IS feeding trolls.

well i guess "get people to post" is what spotlight posters are sposed to do so he / she is doing their job :)

my 2cp...

thanks for reading.

100% agree with this. Some sort of policing system is a must. Whether by NPC's or bounty on players, etc.

Perfect

I wish it was that perfect, but sadly is it not.

I have to kill stupid, boring and scripted NPCs to get gear. I also have to farm resources to be able to craft things, and that means I have to look into a tree or a rock for a long time.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Exactly

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by Crunchy222 Its going to be a battle arena FFA full loot pvp game with crafting and clan seiges.  Nothing more.
    Exactly

And people wonder why Darkfall isn't a sandbox...

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by Crunchy222 Its going to be a battle arena FFA full loot pvp game with crafting and clan seiges.  Nothing more.
    Exactly

And people wonder why Darkfall isn't a sandbox...

Yes, two people proclaiming it to be a pvp arena (my sides) game proves that no doubt....

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Funny how those clamoring about "real sandbox" are the ones asking for game mechanics to protect them. 

Originally posted by HancakesFunny how those clamoring about "real sandbox" are the ones asking for game mechanics to protect them. 

That is what makes it a sandbox. There is no freedom without effective law system.

Originally posted by nate1980
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I'm not sure what the definition of a real deal sandbox would be.

I think the best way is to use past sandbox MMORPG's as an example.

I agree.

Can anyone give an example of an earlier true sandbox mmo, and use said mmo to explain why darkfall is not a sandbox?

UO was a sandbox and Darkfall is not because you can`t decorate your house with junk.

UO was a sandbox and Darkfall is not because you can`t drop stuff on the ground.

Etc.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Funny how those clamoring about "real sandbox" are the ones asking for game mechanics to protect them. 

That is what makes it a sandbox. There is no freedom without effective a law system.

I disagree, in a true sandbox the players should police the world, not NPC's making "safe" zones.

A sandbox should be just that, your given a world to explorre, the tools to explore with and the rest is up to you.

This is why games like Minecraft can be considered sandbox games and why almost all of so-called "sandbox" mmorpg's are not.

Most "sandbox" mmo's are pseudo-sandbox games, the developers don't trust the players to regulate the game so they intervene through design and physical restrictions beyond the natural physics of the game world and their inherant limitations(gravity for example) and the second this happens, it ceases to be a sandbox game.

Games like SWG and EvE were/are brilliant games, but not true sandbox games, close approximations, but still with restrictions placed on the playerbase outside of the natural physical laws of the game. DF was not a sandbox either and DF:UW won't be.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    It won't be a true sandbox, sorry.

Originally posted by Zinzan

I disagree, in a true sandbox the players should police the world, not NPC's making "safe" zones.

You can disagree but that won't make you right tho... My point still stands.

Originally posted by Zorgo

See..?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

NO game will ever be a total sandbox,you always need some themes/game world to function.Personally i feel a Sandbox is not very good at all,because we can go grab a free UDK [best game engine out there] and make our own personal game if we want to.

Themeparkls like so many like to call them,are the way to go.We are suppose to be paying to play seomone's vision for a game world,from it's terrain to it's creatures to all of it's assests.

Sandbox games are like tossing down some LEGOS and say here build your world.However they are not very good at doing that so they are not FUN.Simple reason is Legos are not very diverse,there is only so much you can do with them.

What we need to have is a Themepark but instead of handing over your RIDE ticket and following the tracks,we need to be able to manipulate the ride and it's surroundings.This does not make a Sandbox as that idea is not possible at least not in the sense of a COMPLETE game.It is no longer a game when you just plop down a bunch of Legos,it is more like a puzzle to attach the pieces.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

That is what makes it a sandbox. There is no freedom without effective law system.

You've clearly failed to grasp what a sandbox is.