Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Former Asheron's Call, EQ2 devs begin Project: Gorgon

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Eric Heimburg and Sandra Powers both used to work on Asheron's Call (1 & 2), as well as Everquest II, Star Trek Online and other games.  The two have quietly and carefully been working on their own Indie MMO - Project: Gorgon. But they need your help to do it. Read on for more details from the press release.

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) for PC & Mac with a quirky, original feel. It freely mixes ideas from older MMOs, newer MMOs, and a whole bunch of new ideas never before seen in any MMO. It's designed for players who want to explore a deep world with complex game systems and a tight-knit community that is friendly enough to actually chat while they group. Think Asheron’s Call crossed with EverQuest crossed with the emergent gameplay of NetHack.

To make the world feel more immersive, Project: Gorgon revives some great ideas from older MMOs that have been forgotten. For instance, if you have items you don’t want, you can toss them on the ground – maybe somebody else will want them. If you sell something to a vendor, those items are available for other players to buy. If you’re on fire and near a lake, jump in the lake to put the fire out!

We’re also taking a cue from older MMOs and not holding your hand quite so much. There are tutorials, of course, but once you’re playing the game we don’t want to tell you exactly where to go – we want you to explore. The world is full of intricate game systems, connected in unusual ways. Project: Gorgon heavily rewards exploration. Go poke in corners, try out weird ideas, and see what you find!

At the same time, this is a thoroughly modern MMO with a robust combat system, quests, guilds, and all the other stuff you’ve come to expect from the genre.

Some of the Cool Features:

• Words of power

• Combat combos that change daily

• Programmable battle golems

• Player-created treasure hunts

• Player werewolves subject to the real-life lunar cycle

• NPCs with fun interactions

• Permanent curses as death penalties

Read more and make your pledge to support Project: Gorgon at their Kickstarter Page. Definitely one of the more interesting Indie MMOs out there, and their budget isn't sky-high either!  We hope to talk more with Eric and Sandra soon.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

"At the same time, this is a thoroughly modern MMO with a robust combat system, quests, guilds, and all the other stuff you’ve come to expect from the genre."

Sounded interesting at first, but you lost me there already, note the bold parts of the quote. I don't think we need another themepark, atleast I don't. I actually notice most people are (finally) getting burned out from the whole themepark ride MMO theme since GW2 dragged them through it yet again.

Give me a sandbox with the depth of EVE, skill-based and non-tab targetting combat where death means something (full loot has my vote on death penalty), political warfare between players and not static NPC factions, and the immersion level of a good RPG.

In other words, an EVE+Darkfall+Skyrim MMO.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    I highly doubt themepark is dead. Poorly designed cash grabs are.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Ausare
    I highly doubt themepark is dead. Poorly designed cash grabs are.

It is not dead but the market is over-saturated with them.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I wish them luck on their endeavour.

From what I read on the official site, it appears they are trying to cater to all areas of the genre in their game...not quite a sandbox, but not quite a themepark.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out although I wish they would go one direction or the other.

They didn't just begin working on this, they have been working on it for roughly 3 years now.  Also, Sandra(Srand) worked on AC1(extensively) and AC2, while Eric was never involved with AC1, only AC2.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    -

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    Raapsnaap what you're describing is probably closest to Archage. Not sure about the death penalty but the other goodies are in there.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

lol yeah I believe someone named bbbb42 over everyone else.

Anyways, this is the third or fourth mmo kickstarter page I've been to.  Sadly I've never felt compelled to donate.  Why?  Because hardly anything good is offered.  The 500 dollar reward is interesting, and 3 months of gold is likely only a 5 dollar savings over what they plan at release.

Instead, they should be offering cool gear that levels with you, unique stuff so that it remains as good as the top tier stuff even at max level and looks awesome and identifies you as someone who backed the game. 

Or extra skill points that no one else can get, ever.  Or just other special perks.  Faster xp/crafting, bigger stash, unique combat pets, etc.  I see better rewards when I look at pre-order bonuses of mmos honestly.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by raapnaap

"At the same time, this is a thoroughly modern MMO with a robust combat system, quests, guilds, and all the other stuff you’ve come to expect from the genre."

Sounded interesting at first, but you lost me there already, note the bold parts of the quote. I don't think we need another themepark, atleast I don't. I actually notice most people are (finally) getting burned out from the whole themepark ride MMO theme since GW2 dragged them through it yet again.

Give me a sandbox with the depth of EVE, skill-based and non-tab targetting combat where death means something (full loot has my vote on death penalty), political warfare between players and not static NPC factions, and the immersion level of a good RPG.

In other words, an EVE+Darkfall+Skyrim MMO.

Exactly, we have enough themeparks.  Funding another is pouring money down an endless hole.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    One look at the UI and I just about wanted to puke.  No thanks I will pass.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
        I hope it is nothing like EQ2.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The no hand holding is a huge must for me in gaming,it is why i keep going back to FFXI even though that game has ahd it's design ruined.

Also xp for questing is just ridiculous and unreal.You are suppose to be experiencing a game world not looking around for make believe question marks or arrows.

I should not become a more experience Axe weilding player just because some NPC had me go kill 10 rats.As a matter of fact that quest shoudl have SEVERAL reasons ,NONE related to xp.I should be doing it for a rank and fame with that faction and that NPC,i should be doing it perhaps for any kind of drop to make something.Perhaps i am killin g them so that npc can return to his house,then after doing so,he shoudl return to his house.Then a new line of quests open up.I should never be given 10k xp for doing it.

There is actually a ton of ideas never tapped and pretty obvious reason why,all the games are copying the simpleton design of Wow and Eq2.

FFXI is the game that did systems different,that game gave us a blueprint on how to be creative instead of just copying.EVERYTHING was done different from crafting to combat to questing.

Myself i would not copy one idea from any otehr game,i would look at FFXI and use those ideas to becoem creative and introduce one of the MANY untapped ideas not yet seen.

Buying land plots is one when going into the housing ideas.ECO systems for the land/creatures/nodes.Real death[ from aging] and family trees.

The game should have a policing system,to allow open pvp.So you kill a player guards and roaming bounty hunters are always on the lookout for you.This should also be realistic,so i would need to inform guards and bounty hunters,it should not be automated like some invisible message system told them.

One of the best ideas i have only seen in FFXI is to have the real game creatures attack the towns/cities outposts.This again was a blueprint shown to us by FFXI,there is no reason developers cannot expand and do it much better.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

This actually looks interesting. It seems like hybrid to me. So I'm not sure why all the crying about "Oh no not another themepark, noone wants that"   Actually almost everyone does or they wouldn't keep buying them (and you don't buy it just because nothing else is available, if you do you are the only one to blame)... IMO Gone are the days of nothing to do (in an MMO) but what you pretend to be doing, wanna make it up as you go along, go play with your kids (don't have kids, your nephews/neices, kid cousins) outside.

And as far as the comments about UI, I am curious if this is just placeholder and that and the animations all would change when funded.

WHat they are shooting for gameplay wise is right off the kickstater page:

"It's designed for players who want to explore a deep world with complex game systems and a tight-knit community that is friendly enough to actually chat while they group. Think Asheron’s Call crossed with EverQuest crossed with the emergent gameplay of NetHack."

It has potential as long as they keep the AC2 aspects out of it IMO.

I will follow the production and if it keeps looking promising, I may donate.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If they are serious about this project they really need to get some proper ui and graphic designers on board. The whole concept of the game sounds great but it looks pretty bad. Yes yes, looks and graphics arn't everything... but what is being shown there is like something from the history of gaming. It won't be taken serious by many people if it doesn't look at least a little better.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    What i want is a game with the mechanic of asheron's call but with modern graphics.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    What i want is a game with the mechanic of asheron's call but with modern graphics.

That is either solved by:

1. Turbine waking the f%ck up and remaking AC properly or ...

2. Indie-developers like this one manage to get more money when making their game. Purdy graphics, animations, sounds, etc are exactly what money pays for. No money = no pretty games.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Read more and make your pledge to support Project: Gorgon at their Kickstarter Page. Definitely one of the more interesting Indie MMOs out there, and their budget isn't sky-high either!  We hope to talk more with Eric and Sandra soon.

If you're going to help people beg for money, perhaps you should add a disclaimer to protect your sites ass, such as "MMORPG.COM is not responsible if you are stupid enough to hand people your money and they run away with it.".

Or we could just not try anything out of the norm and keep accepting the same regurgitated crap that the big studios keep coming out with.

The only way the genre will change is with an indie that has a strong showing, and some good ideas.  Again, unles your a big studio, the investors aren't gonna want to go with anything that's too far outside the box from the WoW model.  As such, indie studios have a hard time coming up with the capital to pull if off. 

There's nothing wrong with asking gamers to invest(not beg, as you not so eloquently put it) in ideas they've been requesting for some time now and the big studios have shown they are unwilling to adopt.

• PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46

I donated, it was my choice and when the project falters I can blame myself for not giving enough.  That's how you take responsibility for your actions and the dollars you spend.

Anyway, I love the lycanthropy and player focused event creation.  Both these ideas have been present in betas I've been involved in and never came about, probably from a lack of direct support.  Like "Kahn Online", which would have been a pioneering world creationg mmo, but the devs didnt get paid and it shut down a week into open beta.  Letting us, the gamer decide where industry money goes would completely revolutionize the industry, but of course that's not what Mircosoft or EA want.

Lets celebrate these guys for trying to give us a better experience, not shit on them for possibly wasting our DONATIONS.  If youre scared or can't afford it, don't donate.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by erictlewis

...and THIS is why I would never want to make an MMORPG.

The project is so early in it's development life, and yet people still give knee jerk intolerant statements like this.

• DarhammDarhamm Member UncommonPosts: 68
    So very supported. I'd love to play this and see it released, polished and expanded, hopefully with pvp down the road :-)

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Looks interesting, but not enough so for me to donate some of my (sadly limited) funds. I will say this though: Unlike the kickstarters for Citadel of Sorcery and Pathfinder, they're at least showing folks that they've got something, and not just describing all the 'amazing features' the game will have. Gives them a lot of credibility in my book, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the project.

Oh, and I'm 99.9999999% sure the UI shown is a placeholder. At least I really, really, really hope so.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vesavius

The project is so early in it's development life, and yet people still give knee jerk intolerant statements like this.

They shouldn't have released game footage if they didn't want people to judge it. Simple as that.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

if its more AC1 then AC2, and more AC1 then more EQ, I hope this goes well.  Would be great to have a new Darktide

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Vannor

They shouldn't have released game footage if they didn't want people to judge it. Simple as that.

With so many other games in existance you need to put your best stuff out there, if you don't there are plenty of other games out there for folks to look at. I looked at it and said yes no thanks we don't need any more ui that look like that. Sorry just a cut and paste and not even a good one.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Same here being a Dev myself, I wanted to make an MMO as an Indie, but I rather keep working for Big companys so I can keep watching gamers cry about what is made...

Maybe if gamers would give devs more respect people would make indies MMO's but nope I won't either I rather make facebook, IOS games I get more respect and more work done, more money in the end..

I love to make an MMo, but the last 5 years I would nto assembly a team and kill our selfs just to be talked to and trolled in the way they do, and make no money for a bunch of idiots.

No thanks, I hope you trolls enjoy the games you see and will continue to because no good dev in there right mind will make you people games and starve themselfs for years and kill themselfs just to have people make stupid comments.

Most gamers have no idea what it takes and they are so fast to judge a game based on the first look which is BS..  They have no common sense, I can tell that UI is placeholders, yes there team right now is mostoy programmers, I can tell most of it looks flat, but asheron call was my favorite game and with some old team members doing this and with something new I already sent them 500 bucks, even though I needed for my own games, I still support any indie, because with out indies you people will continue to see trash.

investors will NOT give you any money unless you made a few games and your name should be Bioware, Sony, Blizzard, Funcom, if not good luck getting any money, also if the game is outg of the box at all, good luck, why do you think SWTOR was a clone of WOW,. because if they thought of anything else no one would of funded that amount period, and those are facts , Investors know these games make money, stuff out of the box people are afraid to ......

Its gonna take an indie for us to see a new game and for an investor to open there eyes... period.