Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

johnjecjohnjec Member UncommonPosts: 19

Eve and Secret Garden are about the only two MMo's that I have not played yet. I was reading a post tonight about MMO's that people used additional accounts to play and EVE was overwhelmingly the most popular for multiple accounts.

So what is it about that game that is so intriguing? I haven't played SWTOR either. I haven't played any space games but I also read about people who loved SWG as well. Unfortunately that game I guess is no longer available. Even though I don't like space games, I may try EVE just simply because it seems like people do play and stay for multiple months.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

The simple fact that there hasn't been any serious competition to Eve since its launch and there is nothing better. This doesn't make Eve good - just better than the rest.

EDIT: In its niche, that is.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Maybe its because its a brilliant game where you can basically be what you want and do what you want but instead of just experiencing the "content" you are the content and how far you get involved is upto you. Put loads of time and effort in and you could be the leader of a massive alliance and have to defend teritories, command respect from hundreds of subjects, have your hand on a purse of trillions of ISK, be feared by rival alliances, command a massive army of loyal friends, be stabbed in the back by spies, have a coup de tat happen because your meglomania got the better of you, own billions of Isks worth of Battleships, cruisers or you copuld build a multi trillion Isk industry giant that controls all prices in you part of the sector or you could just AFK mine. Its upto you my friend, the universe is your oyster as they say.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

-to fuck up someone else's day-

That's basically it.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The only thing preventing me from playing EVE is that I could never get into the idea of having my avatar be a ship, and the way gameplay revolves around that.  I've played so many tradtional MMOs now, that I never could get into EVE's player aspect.  I think if someone could make a game that was similar to EVE but had a more traditional MMO core game, I would be all over it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

If you're looking for a space(or even sci-fi)mmo eve is the best there is.  If you can get into it(something i haven't been able to do) there is a lot of depth there, much more than any other mmo I've come across. 

Ignore the niche etc comments as it has more subs than most themeparks combined.

It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.

If you do try it don't skip reading the tutorials when they come up and try plenty of things out, it won't give you a full view of what's there but will give you a taste of things to come.

fyi people play eve for multiple years not just months.  Eve has aprox 450k subs with around 20% or so of them multiple accounts.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

The only thing preventing me from playing EVE is that I could never get into the idea of having my avatar be a ship, and the way gameplay revolves around that.  I've played so many tradtional MMOs now, that I never could get into EVE's player aspect.  I think if someone could make a game that was similar to EVE but had a more traditional MMO core game, I would be all over it.

Perpetuum is an eve clone but with robots.  I think that's the closest atm.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Karahandras

It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.

No, you don't.

"Theme park" players are mostly after PVE and that is where rule fully applies.

One could argue that it applies to PVP in many areas too...

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Well you can walk around now with your avatar.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

The lack of Elves, Dwarves, Orcs & Gnomes ..... and Pandas

The lack of restrictive profession roles (which is also the same reason that makes some people NOT want to play Eve)

There is only 1 Race split into 4 Sociological/Political Factions

You can Create a character from Faction D, fly the ships from Faction A, and equip the weapon types from Faction C, if you want to.

It's the last part thats the really important part.

It's not what the game design lets you do, it's doing what you WANT to do that generally keeps most people playing.

Ignore the niche etc comments as it has more subs than most themeparks combined.

Oh wow. If someone didn't know any better they'd believe you.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Quirhid

There is only a handful of themeparks with more subscribers than EvE.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Yeah, and Eve is the only high profile sandbox in the market.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by RefMinor Originally posted by Quirhid Originally posted by Karahandras Ignore the niche etc comments as it has more subs than most themeparks combined.

People do not play games because of sandbox or theme park label.

Originally posted by Gdemami

I know I don't. But some people do.

Its a shame there is no better space sim MMORPG. I've exhausted all my SPG options.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I've been playing since 2004 (the same corp for the past six years or so) and I've been to several of the Fanfest gatherings in Iceland. I can safely say that one of the biggest and most engaging components of everything EVE is the community. Help and trouble are the two easiest things to find in EVE, as most players are willing to offer up both in spades.

If you're looking to try out EVE, check out one or more of the player help groups, make some friends, learn the game, and then find a corporation of players with your interests.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• -=Skyy=--=Skyy=- Member Posts: 20
    The membership of -RZR- would like this post removed as it does not accurately portray our superiority in the regions shown. ty.

When in doubt, get more explosives.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by RefMinor

They sure didn't start out that way, lol.

There's a very good reason why this has been one of the only mmorpgs to consistently grow over it's (long) lifespan. There's a vast ocean of theme park titles out there, with only a precious few claiming anywhere near the success that CCP has had with EVE. There's some good reasons why this is the case as well.

Let's not even get into the fact that EVE is "the internet spaceship game" which from the get go limited it's potential audience. What are you afraid of, Quirhid? What do you stand to lose if the potential sandbox playerbase is much greater than you're willing to accept? I'm not claiming a future sandbox mmo could achieve huge sub numbers, but you seem to be heavily invested in the belief that it's impossible. Be my guest though, keep the "faith".

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Freedom, depth, scope, risk and the fact it is so community driven amongst others. There are numerous reasons why people would keep playing so it is next to impossible to nail down one.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• -=Skyy=--=Skyy=- Member Posts: 20

On a  more serious note there are many draws to EVE online for anyone who isn't afraid to lose something.

In EVE there are consequences to your actions. something most games lack nowadays.

Clever play is rewarded, foolishness is punished.

You can play any role you could want in a space sim, Trader, merchant, pirate, bounty hunter(soon?) logistics manager, Fleet commander, spy, recon, scout, tackler etc etc. Ht eonly limitation is your skills and knowledge.

Even when your not logged in your still progressing through skill training so you dont feel that compulsion to log in daily like most MMO's do.

THe ability to effect the gameplay of others ona  massive scale through smaller actions etc etc there is so much to EVE beyond the whole "spreadsheets in space" moniker. The catch is you must be willing to throw most of your MMO preconceptions out the window in order to get the most satisfaction out of it. A newbie frigate can be just as valuable as a capital ship in the right situation. a tech 1 battleship can be just as beneficial as a Tech 3 cruise. It's all about tactial knowledge and knowing when to fight and when to run. the market cane be a game unto itself with station trading (theres a reason they employed a Dow jones market analyst for so long)

When in doubt, get more explosives.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    i play eve because it is a player driven mmo. love the concept of no rules to follow either. well there are some rules. but i'm referring to the freedom you get compared to any other mmo. if you wanted to scam you don't get banned. if you want to grief you can. i use to play gw2 and i actually got rid of my account and just decided to stick with eve since no other mmo can offer the freedom i get in eve. i mean i think it is also how you can make a players life in the game a really painful experience. he might even quit because he cant handle the torture. no im not a masochist lol. but i believe any eve player will tell you the same response i just said. i mean i just lost a 2.7 bill 100mn legion yesterday in -a- trip a wanted my fleet so dead that they hot dropped a 20 man fleet on a 6 man fleet. tengu fleet with logis in system + ecm lol so ya they wanted my fleet bad lol. it's k we killed em alot and is winning the war. guess that is the reason why they are mad since they are about to loose their space.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Its a shame there is no better space sim MMORPG. I've exhausted all my SPG options.

Ohh.....I can't resist.....

Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it isn't a good one.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I would imagine he means "better" in his opinion. Although considering the poster, maybe not. (I joke ofc).

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I would imagine he means "better" in his opinion. Although considering the poster, maybe not. (I joke ofc).

Yeah, I was just messing with him since he's said the same to me when I've slammed another game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Eve-online was a once in a life time, right place right time, do it right the first time, niche MMO that will likely never happen again. It's as big of a freak accident as WoW. Granted my comment doesn't intend to slight the developers, but in all honesty they just came out at the perfect time and did something right that kept players hooked. Eve is about the only true sandbox we have...There are plenty of other games that come close but Eve about hits the nail on the head.

I know, I personally still have my battleship sitting in [forget the name of the system and station] that I haven't touched in a long time. Mostly because other games have me occupied *coug* GW2. I'm sure I will eventually go back to Eve...when they give me the damn walking in stations!!! >:O

Note: I think most people who play Eve play it off and on. Unless they are just super religious Eve players.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    i think i played so much theme park mmos that i got tired of it. the purpose in the end is to get geared or pvp. least in eve you don't have an endgame. oh and i think star citizen will be an epic game if robert does ever deliver