Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard lied about the new character models.

IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

As many WoW players know,  before MoP was released, Blizzard announced that they were working  on new and graphically upgraded character models for the old races.

Close to MoP ´s release, they claimed they had the Dwarven models almost done and were starting with the Human and orc ones.

Well,  yesterday they confessed in the US forums, that such thing is not true, that what they said previously was a "misscomunication" and that  they plan to make the new models "sometime in the future" ( they said this in TBC) but that it would require a lot of time and people to do, so it won´t happen anytime soon.

They also confessed it is not true the models the claimed were ready are ready at all, and that they did not even really start on it.

I do not mind content or features being pushed to a later date in favor of different ones, but being downright lied in the face to hype an expansion and then being told it was just a case of "misscommunication" is insulting.

Comments

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Really do not care. They can do them or not. I woukd rather they just work on content.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    the problem is none is going to believe u since u didnt add any link (old or new) for that subject
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Ausare
    Really do not care. They can do them or not. I woukd rather they just work on content.

The fact you do not care for this particular feature does not make it ok for Blizzard to lie about it to it´s playerbase.

It´s not the fact they pushed it back but the fact they lied, that is wrong.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Oh oh. They broke a commandment. Looks like Blizzard is going to Hell.

Big companies tend to have a lot of miscomunnications. So long as they admitt their mistake works for me.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Ausare
    Big companies tend to have a lot of miscomunnications. So long as they admitt their mistake works for me.

Yeah, only that this wasn´t any sort of "misscommunication" as there was a lot of talk about the new models, and simply a downright lie to hype MoP with more "features" which they never actually worked on.

You know, like the famous "Dance Studio" announced both in TBC and WOTLK.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

got a link?

I have yet to see all the hype. I saw one statement in an interview. Which the person saying it might have got the info wrong. I think you are just trying to blow something up.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by defector1968
    the problem is none is going to believe u since u didnt add any link (old or new) for that subject
    How about a video interview with Tom Chilton, Game Director and Lead Game Designer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PLD50680CF16423091&v=0KJDi622X1U

First question.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Do you have any evidence whatsoever, or should I just take your word for it?
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    An MMO really does NOT need to update its graphics. You could, yes, but honestly it doesn't tend to work out to great either. That being said, the biggest problem I have (if true) would be the fact they had said one thing and ended up taking it back and saying something entirely different.
  • redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

How about a video interview with Tom Chilton, Game Director and Lead Game Designer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PLD50680CF16423091&v=0KJDi622X1U

First question.

What I got from the video is that they are working on them, albeit slowly (which is to be expected). 

• kryptzlolkryptzlol Member Posts: 5
    I've also read this quite a while ago. Blizzard are liars!
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Xiaoki
    Originally posted by defector1968

First question.

So what I got from that was what I have heard them say repeatedly....soon(tm).

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

As many WoW players know,  before MoP was released, Blizzard announced that they were working  on new and graphically upgraded character models for the old races.

Close to MoP ´s release, they claimed they had the Dwarven models almost done and were starting with the Human and orc ones.

Well,  yesterday they confessed in the US forums, that such thing is not true, that what they said previously was a "misscomunication" and that  they plan to make the new models "sometime in the future" ( they said this in TBC) but that it would require a lot of time and people to do, so it won´t happen anytime soon.

They also confessed it is not true the models the claimed were ready are ready at all, and that they did not even really start on it.

I do not mind content or features being pushed to a later date in favor of different ones, but being downright lied in the face to hype an expansion and then being told it was just a case of "misscommunication" is insulting.

They will just wait for the next expansion to have new player models as a huge freaking "new" feature, they propably have even remade the models on schedule but pulled this stunt off after realizing it will be an awesome selling point on the next xpac. It's not like they dont have the resources to do this at any given time they want to.

I can already see the trailer of the next xpansion *DUMDUMDUDUUMAWESOME MUSIC* + *DEATHWING VOICE: (OMG) NEW PLAYER MODELS!!11* meanwhile some remade human and orc model doing funky combat animations on the middle of the screen and a couple of nelf chicks rubbing their... dancing on the back with their new bustier bewbs generating some extra fappage, everyone going http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_S5cXbXe-4

Diaymn!

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    I'm still waiting for the dance studio.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by slickbizzle
    I'm still waiting for the dance studio.

Yeah, an MMO without a dance studio is just for kids. Give us our dance studio.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

I'm happy you found yet another thing to hold against WoW, while millions of us enjoy playing it caring so, oh so very little.

Besides, when do you ever see your character model... As far as i'm concerned, my char model is "updated" anytime I change my gear. And my chars look 100x better (technically) since vanilla - the detail / texture resolutions / polycounts in new gear is leaps and bounds more than back then.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Well,  yesterday they confessed in the US forums, that such thing is not true

Where is this post on US forums you speak of? I looked at the blue tracker and such post does not exists!

I think the only liar here is you.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Why does it take so long to update player models?  Won't it use the same skeleton and animations, they would just look better and have more polys?  They pick the weirdest things to prioritize.
  • aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

It's probably taking so long, because they're trying to do a major overhaul.

And when you do a major overhaul of how characters that players have had and cherished for 8 years, it's not something to be taken lightly.

In fact, it's a very big and needless risk.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by aphydork

It's probably taking so long, because they're trying to do a major overhaul.

And when you do a major overhaul of how characters that players have had and cherished for 8 years, it's not something to be taken lightly.

In fact, it's a very big and needless risk.

Is it a needless risk in another 8 years? 15 years? Just saying, the game gets outdated more and more year after year and it's supposed to attract new players into it to keep it going. Updated vanilla races is something that the game needs badly imo, it just looks stupid silly when an orc and panda stands next to eachothers looking like they are taken from two different games.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I don't get it, is the point just to add polygons, and are armors just skins?  I thought maybe armor had their own polygon sets, etc.  No?

Outside of the face and hands, not sure what models would add when covered with armor.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

completely agree that it sucks they pulled this but ever since GC was put in charge things like this are not uncommon. Remember the dance studio? Remember the promised return to vanilla standards? those promises were made in the two other expansions that were made before this one, neither were delivered and they swept it under the rug just like this one.

So....

Not only do they charge for their expansions (something players already pay for in spades btw with the monthly fee), but they don't fulfill their promises to their players, that is of course, unless they lose at least 2 mil subs all at once. (which historically was the reason for Transmog).

I regret not listening to people's warnings, because I was severely disappointed with WOTLK ending and with CATA's ending.  :(

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Why does it take so long to update player models?  Won't it use the same skeleton and animations, they would just look better and have more polys?  They pick the weirdest things to prioritize.

Not necessarily. The "skeleton" for the pandaren is even more complex than that of the worgen/goblins who were added only an expansion ago. They aren't just looking to reskin their older models, but completely recreate them to be more in line with the complexity of the pandaren. Additionally, if you're going to all the trouble to revamp older models, you may as well come up with some newer animations as well. Many of the animations are very robotic (human 2hander animations are terrible). It seems to be an all or nothing type of scenario for Blizzard.

The reason why it's taking so long is because they are running a skeleton crew for the Live team now. I also remember reading somewhere that the live team and expansion team are now one in the same. So you have the same group working on content patches and hotfixes for the live game, in the meantime they are also working on the next expansion pack. New models just isn't a top priority, which I am ok with. I would like to have new models for old races, because they look pretty old now. At the same time, I don't want it to eat up dev cycles for new content or even bug fixes.