Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real shame, from a gamer's point of view

At this point, it's looking more and more likely that a record amount of resources were put into what will turn out to be a mostly forgettable game.  It occurred to me today that even a fraction of those funds could have produced an incredible, and even definitive, single-player KotOR experience.  That might be the real shame in all of this. 

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Well if you want to think of it that way.

Just buy the game, is pretty discounted, play the freeium version and Boom you have an excellent single player game (if thats how you choose to play it). With 8 unique class story-lines and like 8 races to choose from. And you still have the added benefit of playing with other people even if you choose not too.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Hokie

Just buy the game, is pretty discounted, play the freeium version and Boom you have an excellent single player game (if thats how you choose to play it. With 16 unique class story-lines and like 8 races to choose from.

1. Why would anyone buy the game when they can download it free once F2P starts?

2. How are you going to play 8 races when free only give 3?

Really they only give you three...

Sorry OP guess it just sucks then.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• mxbxmxbx Member Posts: 42
    I played through each of the quest lines on the imperial side.  I thought the experience was subpar for a Bioware game (certainly nowhere near the level of storytelling in Mass Effect or earlier KotOR games), though the voice acting was very well done. 
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Some people (a lot of them) actually love this game image. Can it be better? Sure...

If you don't like it.. move on... how many posts on this forum already discussed this to the nauseum.......

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Some people (a lot of them) actually love this game image. Can it be better? Sure...

If you don't like it.. move on... how many posts on this forum already discussed this to the nauseum.......

SWTOR is the biggest disappointment last year, hard to forget when it ranks as the biggest disappointment. Which means criticism to the game will never end. They did spend 300 million dollars to make such a disappointment of a game, they could've spent less then 1/3 of the money and have met the expectations of people. forgive me......I'm sorry....lol.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Just buy the game, is pretty discounted, play the freeium version and Boom you have an excellent single player game (if thats how you choose to play it). With 8 unique class story-lines and like 8 races to choose from. And you still have the added benefit of playing with other people even if you choose not too.

Actually nope.    There are (which is logical) mmo elements that make playing Swtor as single player game less enjoyable than well made single player game that does not have to compromise some things in order to be an viable mmorpg.

I am not saying that playing Swtor solo cannot be enjoyable. I am sure that it can be and is for many.   Still if it would be done as single player game then it would have chance to be better in this field.

Totally agree. Its not a bad game, it could have been a lot better.

I'm still subscribed since head-start and will be for a long time, as long as they put real effort into supporting the game.

I salute you for defending it.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

They spent a lot of money on voice acting, and almost everyone skips it after the first time.  Why would you spend so much money on something people skip?  That's the ultimate design failure of this game.   The money should have been spent in things people replay over and over and over, not something people do just once in an MMO.

Where?  I'll give a few examples.  

1) Ilum PvP was a joke and remains unfinished. No ETA.

2) LFG should have been in at the beginning of the game along with mechanics for greater server capability. 

3) More "dynamic" space combat instead of the arcade.

Anyways, they have cut the staff so severely now that they have admitted to focusing more on the Legacy system rather than making their game content more replayable.  Oh well.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

I'm still subscribed since head-start and will be for a long time, as long as they put real effort into supporting the game.

+1

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by SBE1

They spent a lot of money on voice acting, and almost everyone skips it after the first time.  Why would you spend so much money on something people skip?  That's the ultimate design failure of this game.   The money should have been spent in things people replay over and over and over, not something people do just once in an MMO.

Where?  I'll give a few examples.  

1) Ilum PvP was a joke and remains unfinished. No ETA.

2) LFG should have been in at the beginning of the game along with mechanics for greater server capability. 

3) More "dynamic" space combat instead of the arcade.

Anyways, they have cut the staff so severely now that they have admitted to focusing more on the Legacy system rather than making their game content more replayable.  Oh well.

I love the facts you throw out there.  Awesome!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

If this game scared all publishers away from the genre, or at least convinced them to stop making WoW clones, then it was worth it.

What isn't worth it was the fact that Mythic was killed off to finish this game, and we'll never get DAoC 2 or an Origin server (both of which were in development before EA ruined Mythic). So with Mythic dead, maybe its not so bad that EA will never ruin the DAoC legacy.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

If this game scared all publishers away from the genre, or at least convinced them to stop making WoW clones, then it was worth it.

What isn't worth it was the fact that Mythic was killed off to finish this game, and we'll never get DAoC 2 or an Origin server (both of which were in development before EA ruined Mythic). So with Mythic dead, maybe its not so bad that EA will never ruin the DAoC legacy.

We're already getting DAOC 2.  It's called "Elder Scrolls Online" but it's got more in common with DAOC than anything.

Pity DAOC was mediocre and the RvR got boring after about a month.  Why would anyone want a sequal to that?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Jonoku

SWTOR is the biggest disappointment last year, hard to forget when it ranks as the biggest disappointment. Which means criticism to the game will never end. They did spend 300 million dollars to make such a disappointment of a game, they could've spent less then 1/3 of the money and have met the expectations of people. forgive me......I'm sorry....lol.

I do feel sorry for the team. I have a feeling there are several factors to the big disapointment.

1.) Producers (EA) Demands: Not wanting to push the envelop and to try and rake in the most people EA likely did push on the concept of the MMO being generic enough to be picked up by any player from any everquest like games (nope didn't say that game, doesn't deserve credit for the style). This likely was quite a bump for the staff working on SWTOR as KoToR itself was built a completely different way from what those games entail. This forced a shfit in direction and likely is a huge cause why the classes and the likes feel so lack luster and unimpressive. It also pushed the effects of the Dark/Light choice as being a rather joke of what it could of been.

2.) Time Constraints (EA): Its very likely a lot of the time was really restricted on the team from what they wanted to accomplish. This can be likely focused in on the fact that EA had pushed content to be a certain way and likely with less time to work on things. This only was likely further expanded on as they might of had to redo the graphics engine (very costly, btw, if your wondering why games don't update their graphics often) and likely caused a lot of stumbling in production. The fact the team wasn't all that MMO savey only made these tasks that much more time consuming... which brings up...

3.) Lack of MMO Knowledge (Bioware): Bioware is focused upon single player. This focus is fine for those games, but delivering a story to an MMO is a far more complex thing. A lot of the story telling elements are unable to be pushed in the game, causing it to stumble quite a bit in making their elements show up in an MMO. This also leads to an issue that they aren't use to such a style of game, making a Kotor transition into an MMO very difficult to pull off in gameplay as well. These elements really contribute to holding the game back in its full potential and make it a lot harder, specially when your trying to produce a AAA title game. 

Over-all it was a combination of EA's greedy and completely air headed leaders as well as Bioware's ultimate gamble that they could do an MMO that ended up crippling the project. Once started they wanted to make it the best they could and ultimately it fell short despite extra funding applied. In the end, Bioware is likely as good as gone now and EA is out to buy yet another company to ruin.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

1) buying the game at this point is a waste of money.

2) Its not an excellent single player experince at all. The Storylines in SWTOR were great compared to other MMO's but compare it to a single player game story and it pales in comparrison. I would go so far as to say SWTOR represents the worst storytelling I have seen in a Bioware game.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Wait they wont let me play a Miraluka. Ok, Sorry, i was already dissuaded from playing it but was gonna give it a chance. however they remove access to my favorate race. Cya, not even gonna try it now.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k

2) Its not an excellent single player experince at all. The Storylines in SWTOR were great compared to other MMO's but compare it to a single player game story and it pales in comparrison. I would go so far as to say SWTOR represents the worst storytelling I have seen in a Bioware game.

"The Storylines in SWTOR were great compared to other MMO's",  well this is why the people who enjoy SWTOR play , because they are bummed at the terrible story lines in other MMO'S and thus enjoy the story line along with the small grouping, and other aspects of an mmo, they just find mmo's with story lines (like tsw, lotro) more interesting

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

This. I'm not one to say they can't complain, but I have to admit I smh seeing a thread complain of something with 4 more on the front page. These forums take beating a dead horse to the next level.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Some people (a lot of them) actually love this game image. Can it be better? Sure... If you don't like it.. move on... how many posts on this forum already discussed this to the nauseum.......

I think you have SWTOR mixed up with Diablo 3.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I have a soft spot for Origin.  You see in the 80's Richard Garriott had a company that would "create worlds".  That company was Origin System Inc, and the game was Ultima.

EA bpight Origin in 1992, and what a shame.  Get closer.

WHAT A SHAME!

Origin used to create worlds, and they did with every game.  EA took over and pffftt!  EA created voids and anger.  To anyone who missed out on the original Ultima's, they are obtainable (ABANDONWARE), which is more appealing than todays garbage.

Richard Garriott still made UO (thank you!), but he left anyways, like the BioWare doctors.

big BOO. :/

To see EA abuse Origin as their personal sales idea, drives me up the wall ... because EA is garbage and Origin was 100 X 100 to the 100 power (100 * 100 ^ 100) what EA will ever be. 

Oh well.  Carry on. /grumble

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    Well if you want to think of it that way. Just buy the game, is pretty discounted, play the freeium version and Boom you have an excellent single player game (if thats how you choose to play it). With 8 unique class story-lines and like 8 races to choose from. And you still have the added benefit of playing with other people even if you choose not too.

"The Storylines in SWTOR were great compared to other MMO's",  well this is why the people who enjoy SWTOR play , because they are bummed at the terrible story lines in other MMO'S and thus enjoy the story line along with the small grouping, and other aspects of an mmo, they just find mmo's with story lines (like tsw, lotro) more interesting

But as an MMO it is below average. Its like a really average single player game with co-op but they wanted to charge a monthly fee for it.

I love all things Star Wars & I really tried to make myself love SWTOR but it was just poorly planned, poorly designed & very poorly executed. I won't even go into how Beta testers & the community as a whole were ignored & mistreated.....
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by mxbx
    At this point, it's looking more and more likely that a record amount of resources were put into what will turn out to be a mostly forgettable game.  It occurred to me today that even a fraction of those funds could have produced an incredible, and even definitive, single-player KotOR experience.  That might be the real shame in all of this. 

Well, keep in mind there are plenty of players who aren't MMO players that are coming back for the F2P.  I know a few.  They, of course, don't join message boards like this but they like games and they like Star Wars.  They might pick up a whole new casual fanbase.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    It was the biggest money scam in history, Why people don't realize that is beyond me.
    Originally posted by Entinerint

We're already getting DAOC 2.  It's called "Elder Scrolls Online" but it's got more in common with DAOC than anything.

Pity DAOC was mediocre and the RvR got boring after about a month.  Why would anyone want a sequal to that?

Because it was one of the best designed MMOs ever made, and the second most played one on the market for about 5-6 years?

And TESO is not DAoC 2. DAoC didn't have instances or quest based leveling. If anything, TESO is going to be more like WoW than anything else (as they mention WoW about 5 times in all the articles) which means it'll be a lot more like Warhammer (barf).

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by mxbx

Well, keep in mind there are plenty of players who aren't MMO players that are coming back for the F2P.  I know a few.  They, of course, don't join message boards like this but they like games and they like Star Wars.  They might pick up a whole new casual fanbase.  

Great. What this game needs is more casual players.  Star Wars fans are old hat, MORE CASUALS. This will save the game.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

I have a soft spot for Origin.  You see in the 80's Richard Garriott had a company that would "create worlds".  That company was Origin System Inc, and the game was Ultima.

EA bpight Origin in 1992, and what a shame.  Get closer.

WHAT A SHAME!

Origin used to create worlds, and they did with every game.  EA took over and pffftt!  EA created voids and anger.  To anyone who missed out on the original Ultima's, they are obtainable (ABANDONWARE), which is more appealing than todays garbage.

Richard Garriott still made UO (thank you!), but he left anyways, like the BioWare doctors.

big BOO. :/

To see EA abuse Origin as their personal sales idea, drives me up the wall ... because EA is garbage and Origin was 100 X 100 to the 100 power (100 * 100 ^ 100) what EA will ever be. 

Oh well.  Carry on. /grumble

I was more referring to the DAoC classic server dubbed "Origin" that they were worked on a few years ago before WAR started to tank and EA pulled the plug on it. But yes, EA destroyed the Ultima company and brand quite thoroughly.