Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And now everyone will start saying "Oh, its obvious that Sandbox was always the way to go"

InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

And now everyone will start saying "Oh, its obvious that Sandbox was always the way to go".

Yeah, even those who said nobody wanted sandbox style games.

"You old school gamers are a thing of the past."

"Sandbox games are dead"

"Sandbox games didnt worked"

Look at all the games that have been succesfully and popular later on. All of them had sandbox elements.

And the games announced without sandbox elements have been stoned just after releasing the first art style drawings.

"Oh, you guys are a vocal minority."

Now, everyone will come out boasting they knew what people wanted all along!

Took how many years for the developers and community to catch up?

These games released in the last 5-10 years were not even MMORPGs in the first place!  They just hijacked the labeling to monetize their online games, the essence was never there.

Comments

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Interesting

And now everyone will start saying "Oh, its obvious that Sandbox was always the way to go".

"Sandbox games are dead"

Look at all the games that have been succesfully and popular later on. All of them had sandbox elements.

And the games announced without sandbox elements have been stoned just after releasing the first art style drawings.

These games released in the last 5-10 years were not even MMORPGs in the first place!  They just hijacked the labeling to monetize their online games, the essence was never there.

This isn't going to end well.

• S1LentKillerS1LentKiller Member CommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Latronus

"Sandbox games are dead"

This isn't going to end well.

I agree lol its not going to end well just waiting on a troll to come by.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Here's a horrid thought.  What if sandbox MMOs become mainstream?

What will the developer / publishers do to maximize their profits as they modify the design for mass-appeal?

My guess, they'll destroy them.  Streamlined, ultra-easy and fast rewarding with little effort.  Is that the sandbox of the future?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Minecraft let the cat out of the bag and made developers realise -> interactive object world + player imagination >> graphix + dev static content.
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

As said before.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that sand box fans will never be satisfied because they don't really know what they want.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

2 million users on this page. 

actually, no matter what answer you get:

posting gamers ARE a fucking minority. thx for the talk

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

As said before.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that sand box fans will never be satisfied because they don't really know what they want.

and the themepark players know? look how many themepark games have failed so fast.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Perhaps we should all take a step back and see what Smeds vision is first before we hail the second comming of (inser deity here)

If not a decent bunch of people will be very disapointed.

This have been a good conversation

• DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    Minecraft let the cat out of the bag and made developers realise -> interactive object world + player imagination >> graphix + dev static content.

This. There was a gap that hadn't been filled for a long time.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

As said before.

Thats the beauty of sandboxes, they opens up for innovations and differensiations in game play. As a contrary to the worn out

formula most games follows today.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Until a triple A sandbox gets released. Then it's 'Why didnt this game have more rails'.

You cant win. Between a full sandbox and a full themepark  lies every MMO enthusiasts preferences.

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Streamlined, ultra-easy and fast rewarding with little effort.  Is that the sandbox of the future?

That's the themepark of the past.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Who really cares?

If there should ever be a day when sandboxes become mainstream (which I highly doubt), I just hope the people not into them still have plenty of choice in terms of mmo games which they can enjoy and which suit their playstyle.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Again ill keep saying it "a sandbox style game" does not mean EQNext will be a total sandbox game, it will be an hybrid. ArcheAge will be it's main competition and that is an Hybrid MMO. But ill agree with the OP, the themepark lovers though we were beaten.

Hybrid is the way forward not the glorified co-op crap we have been getting, the latest being GW2.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

"Sandbox games are dead"

You are jumping the gun there bud. Let us have one main stream successful sandbox first and then lets walk the talk.

Till now you dont have two legs to stand upon. Sandbox have been releasing for many years now but failed to put a dent on MMO scene.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    [mod edit]

I hope they will too, then you will realise that you dont hold the majority share of the market and have no say whatsoever in the future of MMOs.

So because themepark players are the majority, sandbox players shouldn't have any games to play?

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

So because themepark players are the majority, sandbox players shouldn't have any games to play?

No ofcourse why not? i started MMOs with games like UO and played eve for 5 years. But i am not diluded like OP into thinking that sandbxes are future of MMOS.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    No, it's the full loot PvP that the majority of players don't want; I don't mind PvP, but I would prefer if these so called "sandboxes" games have an specific area in the map or a server dedicated for full loot PvP; I do like crafting in MMOs, so I don't play the current breed of "sandboxes".

Originally posted by halflife25
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

No ofcourse why not? i started MMOs with games like UO and played eve for 5 years. But i am not diluded like OP into thinking that sandbxes are future of MMOS.

And yet the guy i replied to said sandbox players should " have no say whatsoever in the future of MMOs."

Edit *not sure why you replied directly to my post directed personally at evilastro.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

And yet you say sandbox players should " have no say whatsoever in the future of MMOs."

Do you always like to read things which aren't there? lol

Where did i say that?  

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

And yet you say sandbox players should " have no say whatsoever in the future of MMOs."

Where did i say that?  

I asked a question directly at evilastro, which you answered.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

As said before.

^This

You ask 10 sandbox 'purists' what a sandbox game is and you'll get 10 different answers.  Just ask them to comple a list of 'rules' that make a sandbox games.  It would be pretty diverse and contradictory.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Pssst--I don't know about 'everyone', but if you've spent a reasonable amount of time here (mmorpg.com), that's historically popular opinion (in these parts) for a very long time.

You're predicting the past.  Congrats; that takes a great deal of talent.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

As said before.

^This

You ask 10 sandbox 'purists' what a sandbox game is and you'll get 10 different answers. 

Maybe soo.. but that goes for anything. And you will get stuff that are on most peoples list even if those lists are not exactly identical.

This have been a good conversation

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Where did i say that?  

I asked a question directly at evilastro, which you answered.

What i said was that ofcourse why not..means yes sandboxes players even if in minority have the right to play MMOS of their choice. And since when you take what GW2 fans say seriously? ;)

I was actually supporting you.