Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freemium restrictions detailed, updated Oct 16

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by ChaulsinNL
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

This video is a preview of F2P - uploaded today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUX766DvSyU

Snapshot of cartel shop from video

If the 16000 cartel coins the video has in it's purse is anything to go by, my free 1400 coins aren't going to carry me very far lol.

I wouldn't put too much thought into there balance. 

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Karteli

Cannot equip most purple items unless a license is purchased from the Cartel Market.

I accept all restrictions but this one. This is similar to the too-restrictive model of EQ2 F2P. I droped out of EQ2 because you had to pay to equip (legendary) items you earned as drops and it seems that the same thing will apply to Starwars. I won't play if it stays that way.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    this has got to be the worst freemium i have ever seen......i guess that is consistent with the rest of the production....some people just never learn.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    You get what you pay for.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

In the end it always comes back to this. It's an unavoidable truth. Observing the sad lifespan of SWTOR is painful. "F2P" at it's finest.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Actually no not with this game,  I never got the star wars I thought I was getting.  But yes you get what you pay for so the game is free you can expect junk.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

theyr killin off th game ic :) guess ea thinks theyve bled it dry now so they do it like this so it fails massively

caus thn it aint  "theyr fault" it crashed n burned :) wonder what theyll offer up instead a free month in uo or perhaps some ingame cash in some of theyr many fb games?:)

sad to say it didnt get a chanse since i suspect it wus made to fail frm start

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

So...  F2P is hard single player game?  

Way to shoot yourself in the foot again, bioEA.  I think your running out of bullets...

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Lol. Oh, the glee of SWTOR/Bioware/EA haters with this freemium move and 'fail!' and 'death' shouts being spouted :-D

Ah well, we'll see how things go in the following months.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

lol GW2 :P

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    This doesnt suprise me at all. They cant honestly think this will help them get subs back? EA at its best.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

so ummmm.....I like PVP.

in short.....I like warzones....can do 5/week, and then end up getting beaten by the purple helmets because I can't wear those items untill I subscribe or pay in the itemmall?

Good luck with the 'subscribers get priority in the login process', think the subs won't have to deal with lagged out overcrowded servers lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I quit this game about two months after release. The endgame was shallow, the pvp matches got stale after 400 times and Ilum was broken.

I have continued to watch the game while playing other titles. Having read about these restrictions for the first time, why would I stop playing my current MMO which is GW2?

In GW2 I can wvw all day and I can spvp all day. I pay no sub fee and the micro transactions have zero effect on these two activities. The only reason I can see playing SWTOR is if you just fracking LOVE Star Wars and you can ignore all the other issues. 

Who thought these limitations were a good idea?

Another good example of a F2P model done "right" would be Turbine. Both DDO and LOTRO are still around and have cash shops that make sense.

This just boggles the mind. I've kept SWTOR installed on my system waiting for F2p.. I may as well free up that space if this is their best idea. 

• KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78

I dont understand how this game is still going, this game has too many core issues that no amount of F2P or content can ever fix. Ever.

The game engine blows.

Combat blows.

PvP is horrid.

End game is laughable.

Grind fest like no other grindest, all for gear, gee, like that hasn't been done a billion times already..

Soooo many little annoyances I can't even begin to list them. Like heres one, why do you have to pay an assine amount of credits to remove mods and place them into other gear ? Its like the game PUNISHES you for WANTING to be unique and cool looking. (whats that? you dont want to look like the cookie cutter commando that everyone else looks like? okay, bend over and pay 1million credits!!!) i could go on and on but who cares... you guys have fun with TOR, unless they address core issues (which they wont) i can't see how this game will ever be "successful" (and no, success in the MMO world is not defined by barely getting by and having a bleeding sub base... )

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

I quit this game about two months after release. The endgame was shallow, the pvp matches got stale after 400 times and Ilum was broken.

I have continued to watch the game while playing other titles. Having read about these restrictions for the first time, why would I stop playing my current MMO which is GW2?

In GW2 I can wvw all day and I can spvp all day. I pay no sub fee and the micro transactions have zero effect on these two activities. The only reason I can see playing SWTOR is if you just fracking LOVE Star Wars and you can ignore all the other issues. 

Who thought these limitations were a good idea?

Another good example of a F2P model done "right" would be Turbine. Both DDO and LOTRO are still around and have cash shops that make sense.

This just boggles the mind. I've kept SWTOR installed on my system waiting for F2p.. I may as well free up that space if this is their best idea. 

Agreed, apart the IP when you are done with the story mode TOR has nothing for it, compared to GW2 and both Turbine games.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I wish there was a way for them to salvage this game; it's such a disappointment.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    If you already have purple gear from a previous subscription, will all your gear pop off like in EverQuest 2, or can you keep that gear as long as you don't unequip it?
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Muke

so ummmm.....I like PVP.in short.....I like warzones....can do 5/week, and then end up getting beaten by the purple helmets because I can't wear those items untill I subscribe or pay in the itemmall? Good luck with the 'subscribers get priority in the login process', think the subs won't have to deal with lagged out overcrowded servers lol.

Very true. I don't think there will be a free PvP focused player. Get rolled in your 5 matches a week, what fun. Also what were they thinking limiting flashpoints? You would think they would want people to play together and form relationships making subbing more likely.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Its bad. Very bad. This wont make people come back or make those who come stay.

Why cant they just learn from GOOD examples instead of BAD ones? Was SWTOR THAT expensive? Are 500m$ rumors actually true?

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Bioware has added new subscriber perks (or alternatively, FTP restrictions.)

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/6602/screenshot2012102312484.jpg

Tha above is the FTP log-in splash screen.

New sub "perks" are faster experience and valor levelling and such.

Subs will have the price of removing mods from equipment greatly reduced.

They've added 2 more quick action bars for subbers.

Subs can now respec talents for free.

Subbers now get speeders at leel 15 with speed boosts.

Also, the 1.5 PTS patch notes reveal that they will be selling social point boosters and Major and Minor Warzone valor point boosters. There will also be a bunch of halfway decent gear for sale (uselful to say level 40)

They will be selling Explortion point boosters?

Currency levels will be hard capped. (Doesn't specify FTP vs. Sub.)

The new daily SECTION X, will not be available to FTPers without purchase.

Here are the patch notes: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=542699

FTP is believed to come with Patch 1.5 around November 14thish. (The EA earnings call is October 30th)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The F2P as announced assumes, imo, that the people who play SWTOR will do for the PvP. The PvE experience is, essentially, unlimited - with slower travel and poorer gear etc. it may take "a little longer" but nothing of consequence. 

As such I cannot see the model appealing to "the masses".

Between the competition and the limitations the future looks no brighter than it did earlier in the year.

• JobeArthurJobeArthur Member UncommonPosts: 41

Its sad to see how this is going to play out as its still a sub base game now with a cash shop. 

I am starting to think EA wants this game dead, its just a matter if bleed the current base of every last penny they can get then watch it burn and then fight it out with LA in court.

If they would have simply went the way NC soft did with Aion i think TOR would explode with users who would happily dump money into the cash store. Most wouldn't even complain about the slow progress the game has been taking as its a real ftp game, Bioware could be as silent as they want and release content packs and a ton of fluff and most including myself would never complain as I invest when I want and what i want.

Making MMO's are for the brave high risk takers, and EA/Bioware have shown they are cowards that hide every chance they can, even on thier own forums, all they rely on is the hype machine and none of that works anymore.

MMO's are about building communities. They could have built a massive one with a real ftp model, and once you have the people the money will come in by the boat load if you manage to keep the cash shop with items that the player base actually looks forward to having instead of being nickle and dimed because of restrictions, and eventually pay to compete then ptw.

I know Ive been vocal about the games flaws and such (lets be honest here for a sec) It had something each one of us on this forum liked at some point.  I think its frustration and or disappointment of watching them drop the ball over and over since beta that has some of us wound up a bit tight. I myself waited for this game in a tortured state since the leak about Bioware making a new SW MMO. Now after its all said and done, and feeling totally crushed about the genre as a whole by the outcome of the way this game has been handled, its not about taking chances and creating worlds, communties anymore its all about metrics and the bottom line. Its just like any other art form the money is a bi-product of passion,creativity,quality and immersion(see Valve,Old Bioware and ill even go as far to say Blizzard way back when).  As a huge Star Wars fan with very little hope that they could have ever turned this game around anyway I can say that its now officially dead for me.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Some infor from PTS about items in Cartel Market and prices:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=546768

Highlights

• The Cartel Market is now accessible! All characters on the PTS will be set to Free-to-Play status soon for a limited time in order to assist testing the Cartel Market and Free-to-Play options. This has no effect on characters on live servers.
    Cartel Market and Free-to-Play Testing Details
    • The Cartel Market is accessible via the gold Cartel Coin button near the top of the screen.
    • All PTS testers will be periodically granted a small amount of Cartel Coins for the purpose of testing the Cartel Market. Cartel Coins are displayed in the currency pane. No Cartel Coins or purchases on the PTS will be transferred to your account on normal servers.
    • Players will notice that several unlocks, boosts, and Legacy perks can be purchased for Cartel Coins. In many cases, these can be unlocked by clicking the Cartel Coin button near the appropriate UI element. They can often be unlocked for one character or for an entire account.
    Classes and Combat
    • Subscribers are no longer charged credits for skill point re-specializations.
    Items
    • The cost to remove mods from items has been reduced for subscribers.
    • The Collector’s Edition vehicle and all vehicles available in the Cartel Market can now be used with the lowest level license. Their speed now scales based on the license unlocked by characters.
    • Subscribers may now access speeders at level 15.
    Legacy
    • The Legacy panel now accommodates much larger Legacies.
    UI
    • Subscribers have access to 2 additional quickslot bars.
    • The deposit for items placed on the GTN is now a percentage of the item’s value (instead of being based on the player’s set price).
    • Vehicles, mini-pets, weapons, and color crystals can now be previewed in the in-game item preview window.
    • An additional bank tab can now be purchased.
    • The title selection window is now scrollable. Players can now choose their Legacy name display from this window.
    • A progress bar has been added to the currency pane to indicate player proximity to currency caps.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Additional links:

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=546872

Anybody knows what "Preferred Status Players" means?

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Good they updated that subscribers can wear purples, was a huge no no point for me. Still its quite restrictive. You should NEVER be restricted on gear. Sure restrict access to stuff like raids and dungeons maybe but never to the gear. Restricted access will naturally do that anyways.