Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The number 1 rule of sandboxes..(lookin' at you Smed)

The number 1 rule of sandboxes is... "Items must be able to be destroyed".

Every single item must either degrade on use, or be completely destroyed from either A NPC or a Player / Environment.

This in turn creates an ecconomy, and prevents market inflation.

It creates player jobs/crafting/trading etc etc.

I think the number 2 rule should be "Every item in the game can also be crafted"

Just like eve online

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Cheers for crafting

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Maybe not 1 and 2 but very high on the list.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Number 2 is number 1 for me. While your number 1 is low on my list of a good sandbox.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Rule #3:   Items* should have 3d representations that can be placed in your house. 

*including junk loot, crafting materials/components.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

I expect to be in the minority with this, but I think it is something that greatly improves gameworld economy:

Only 1 toon/account.

This allows dedicated crafters to have a important role in the game. If "everyone" has a crafter alt, it kills the market, inflation starts its ugly work from day 1 and soon lower level equipment has next to no value at all.

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by busdriver

I expect to be in the minority with this, but I think it is something that greatly improves gameworld economy:

Only 1 toon/account.

This allows dedicated crafters to have a important role in the game. If "everyone" has a crafter alt, it kills the market, inflation starts its ugly work from day 1 and soon lower level equipment has next to no value at all.

I agree with this, except 1 character per server. If the game has 10 servers you could play a mage on ABDC and a craft on XYZ. But ya one character.

Plus it removes meta-gaming and focuses more on the RP of the character / player. Choices will have consequence, etc. Can't log on your alt to pwn some noob, when they take your crafting node. Whatever. You get it.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

I support Proposition #1 

Vote yes!!!!

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Number 2 is number 1 for me. While your number 1 is low on my list of a good sandbox.

2 won't last long without 1. Without 1, you'll run out of things to craft with purpose.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Its one of the fundamentals of a successfull economy - so yes.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by busdriver

Only 1 toon/account.

I would agree. This is exactly what would help. Although, I'm sure most gamers would be in an uproar about it because they are so used to multiple characters, but I still think this would be an excellent way to do it.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Very true. Both of these really form the core of a sandbox's economy, which is a vital part of it.

Whilst less important I'd add an additional rule that every material must be usefull.

Standard MMO crafting progression starting with bronze, which is soon replaced by iron and others, eventually repliced by arcanium / unobtanium / magical super metal #36 doesn't really work for a sandbox as it will turn 90% of items and crafting recipes effectively useless.

This in turn will, once the game reaches maturity, leave you with an overpriced and barren newbie item market and leave all areas that don't possess the best crafting materials empty and devoid of any player industry.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by PittyH

Every single item must either degrade on use, or be completely destroyed from either A NPC or a Player / Environment.

I think the number 2 rule should be "Every item in the game can also be crafted"

Just like eve online

How is that number 1 rule? Number 1 rule to sandbox should be the Sand, aka changeable world. None of that fixed static crap,

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• robthemaniacrobthemaniac Member Posts: 57

I agree with 1 and 2.

On the 1 char per account, I'm not so sure. If people want a crafting alt, let them have it. What would happen if you didn't? People would just create a second account and host their crafting alt on that. The problem then, is that significantly less people would be able or willing to financially support that, so it creates a game where the few are able to enjoy a luxury that is not an option/realistic opportunity to many of their subscribers.

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Robokapp

alternatively...1 char/acc reduces a very fun part of meta-gaming : SPYING.

No, it just makes it so that spying is actually a challenge and a real commitment!

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Ehm... not really. Not even a requirement.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by gobla

Very true. Both of these really form the core of a sandbox's economy, which is a vital part of it.

Whilst less important I'd add an additional rule that every material must be usefull.

Standard MMO crafting progression starting with bronze, which is soon replaced by iron and others, eventually repliced by arcanium / unobtanium / magical super metal #36 doesn't really work for a sandbox as it will turn 90% of items and crafting recipes effectively useless.

This in turn will, once the game reaches maturity, leave you with an overpriced and barren newbie item market and leave all areas that don't possess the best crafting materials empty and devoid of any player industry.

Sure. But lets be honest, not every material can be made useful. There will be materials which are less useful or outright useless. Its a balance thing.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by gobla

Sure. But lets be honest, not every material can be made useful. There will be materials which are less useful or outright useless. Its a balance thing.

Hardly.

Simply make every item require a large variety of materials.

If iron items also require a measure of bronze to craft then this will insure there's still a demand for bronze, which in turn stimulates a healthy supply as well as competition which will cause the market for bronze items themselves to remain alive as well.

EvE is a wonderfull example of this. There are many rare materials from moons and wormholes that are required to create advanced T2 and T3 items. Yet in order to construct any of these materials you still require all the base materials in EvE.

Around 99% of all modules in EvE require the most common material, tritanium, to be constructed.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• JWTunaJWTuna Member Posts: 23

Without an intricate and responsive economy, all other sandbox features are basicially irrelevent. So I agree completely with anything ~ item degrade, crafting, etc ~ that makes an economy more interactive and complex. 

Technically territory control alone makes a sanbox of some form, but it is very shallow if this control has no impact beyond "I am here, you are not...haha!". If territory control limits access to crafting materials, certain NPC traders, etc, which are esential to keeping a weapon in your hand (because of item degrade); that has a real influence on an active economy, so it is a much better sandbox. Money is a great incentive to keep people active and changing thier world - as oppose to territory control which only limits leveling or gear, which will inevitably die as games mature and new content is added.

• LarlochLarloch Member Posts: 19
    I don't mind if crafting is a big deal as long as you can still find items. I hate how in Fallen Earth a guy could be blasting you with his gun and if you kill him you can't even take it. Materials and crafting are a great way to get the little kiddies to go out and play in the sand but it's not the only way. I personally think crafting should be supplemental especially in a fantasy mmo.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Wow, that's really abstracted down. Hard to disagree with... I'm tryin'.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by PittyH

Just like eve online

How is that number 1 rule? Number 1 rule to sandbox should be the Sand, aka changeable world. None of that fixed static crap,

No.. it is the number one rule.. maybe a little bit generalized. Be able to create objects, and those objects have to be able to be destroyed. That is the sand. If those objects are weapons, armors, houses, vegetables, roads, cities, fortresses or whatever is just the amount of sand. But that is basicly the essence of a sandbox.

Another rule might be, that those objects have to be persistent(until destruction) and tradeable. No bind on equip or bind on pickup.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that sand box fans will never be satisfied because they don't really know what they want.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    1 word for this thread = ROFL
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Larloch
    I don't mind if crafting is a big deal as long as you can still find items. I hate how in Fallen Earth a guy could be blasting you with his gun and if you kill him you can't even take it. Materials and crafting are a great way to get the little kiddies to go out and play in the sand but it's not the only way. I personally think crafting should be supplemental especially in a fantasy mmo.

So long as the things you find have been made by a player or are of worse quality then that's ok. Your last line should read "in a fantasy themepark" , this is a discussion about sandboxes and I am sure you didn't mean to say crafting should be supplemental in a sandbox game.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by defector1968
    1 word for this thread = ROFL

That's 4.