Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW 1 - elite skills!

pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

I was playing all chapters on GW1 along 5 years, and i'm playing GW2 now.
There's gigantic differences between both games and GW2 is better in almost any feature least some and there's one: those fantastic elite skills as we have on GW1.
I think GW2 give us crappy elite skills(almost all with more than 3min CD!), and worst of all without any effort , bah.
Still i love new gameplay on GW2 and the game in general - but i really miss the old hunt for elite skills.
At least if we could use a normal utility skill on that slot... as a guardian i find all of my elites useless.

Comments

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77
    I was with you till the last line.... But guardians have really good elites, at least one anyways.
  • fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    The thing is elites in GW2 are supposed to be "oh shit" buttons, while in GW1 they were what you designed your build around. They serve different purposes.
  • knuckledust13knuckledust13 Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by fundayz
    The thing is elites in GW2 are supposed to be "oh shit" buttons, while in GW1 they were what you designed your build around. They serve different purposes.

Except this isn't true. With exception of the warrior elite signet, every EVERY other elite in GW2 feels lackluster and boring. Any elite that transforms you into something else lasts for 10 seconds and has over 4 minutes CD. The skills on transformations are useless, to say it nicely.

Seriously. The skill system was just rushed to release the game sooner, just like all the content past level 40. No one really wonders why there are 0 bugged skill points and DEs on low level areas, but MOST are bugged on higher level areas?

GW2 is a disappointment to me. They should scrap the franchise name and rewrite the lore altogether, it does not feel like a sequel to GW1 in any aspect expect three or four easter eggs.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by knuckledust13
    Originally posted by fundayz

Except this isn't true. With exception of the warrior elite signet, every EVERY other elite in GW2 feels lackluster and boring. Any elite that transforms you into something else lasts for 10 seconds and has over 4 minutes CD. The skills on transformations are useless, to say it nicely.

Seriously. The skill system was just rushed to release the game sooner, just like all the content past level 40. No one really wonders why there are 0 bugged skill points and DEs on low level areas, but MOST are bugged on higher level areas?

GW2 is a disappointment to me. They should scrap the franchise name and rewrite the lore altogether, it does not feel like a sequel to GW1 in any aspect expect three or four easter eggs.

all my ranger ones are pretty awsome.. love the elite summons for my ele as well. thief has some great ones.. mesmer moa is just OP in sPVP..  i find most ot be great oh crap buttons in almost all cases.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I'm really dissappointed that you no longer have to cap them from a hard world boss or something. I remember being in a big group with a couple necros back when factions was the current game, and we were trying so hard to get the flesh golem. Now I have him and GW2 and well, he sucks really. and there was no effort put into getting him. At that point is when I started getting tired of the game already =/.
  • PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    I feel the skills are fine, but the way you obtain them is massively underwhelming. Purchasing them for some "skill points" you can earn by doing anything, including leveling by crafting, defeats the whole purpose of them being "elite." Imo ANet seriously dropped the ball when they went for shopping-mall approach to player "achievement" in their game.
  • Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82
    as a mostly PvP player in GW1, the change in how u obtain elite skills doesn't bother me at all since i just unlocked pretty much every elite skill with faction BUT i do agree the elite skills are kinda lacking. i really do miss GW1's elites and hope they do some elite skill overhaul. if they don't change them much however, i really doubt it's gonna bother me all that much. i'm still loving the game but i just think this is an aspect of the game that can be improved.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I think they should've removed elites altogether. In GW1, too often you picked your build's "main feature" by taking an elite skill, so that the other other seven skills on your build either supported spamming that one skill as much as possible (SF eles) or consisted mostly utility skills you used now and then. Since some professions only had a few elites, those things hurt build diversity more than they helped it.

On the other hand, most GW2's elites are very powerful and not build-defining, but I rarely use them in normal PvE because of cooldowns. Not to mention forms are a crappy idea that takes you customised build and replaces it with five pre-defined skills. Both systems have their downsides, but I definitely agree that getting them through skill points is boring.