Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

It's official... Star Citizen will not be a MMO...

13

Comments

  • skydiver12skydiver12 burgundPosts: 432Member

    If this genre wants to move forward, we need more Roberts. Star Citizen is not an MMO, it's more.
    The next step in mmo evolution.

    Persistent World + "Private" Multiplayer Servers (you can still rent a server and host them there).


    @ OP, how strange of you to define "persistent World" as "just" a mmo feature if not the core of the very idea which get's violated by so many so called "MMOs".

  • BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by Brenelael

    Look... My intention in posting this thread was informational only. I have no desire to see Star Citizen removed from MMORPG's game listing. I believe it has just as much right to be here as Diablo 2, Guild Wars, World of Tanks and a couple dozen other games. Heck I personally think it's more MMO like than half of those other games already listed here. RSI's official stance is Star Citizen isn't a MMO and I agree with that assessment knowing a little more about the game.

     

    Sure it will have a lot of MMO like features but it won't have a few key features that make a game a MMO. This doesn't mean that I'm any less hyped about this game. I still think it will be the best game we will probably see in the next 5 years at least for PC. I just think that people here need to not get so hyped about it being a MMO when even the developers state it isn't.

     

    Bren

    Your intention is obvious and that is to sabatoge a game that is trying to get funding.  It says persintant world, and oline play how is that different than any other mmo.

     

    You know absolutely knothing about me or my intent. I've already pledged to this game so why on earth would I want to sabatoge it? I was actually releived to find out they aren't even going to try to make this game a MMO. MMOs are mostly just severely watered down Single Player experiences these days and I want this game to actually be good. Being a MMO is the last fricking thing this game should be. Now it has a chance to be great instead of just another mediocre MMO.

     

    Bren

    while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Adelaide, AKPosts: 953Member
    Originally posted by Brenelael

    Originally posted by saurus123
    so i think its time to remove it from mmorpg.com?    

    Why?... This site stopped being exclusively about MMOs a long time ago. This game will be a heck of a lot more MMO like than games like Diablo 3 and a dozen others that are already listed here.

     

    Bren

     

    Agreed. The private freelancer servers Rivalled MMO's of the time & they were free !
  • halflife25halflife25 Toronto, ONPosts: 737Member

    Hmmm are people even reading it? he said 'NO' to just being a 'MMO'. And then he went on to say that it will 'best of all possible worlds'. Which mans that yes it won't be just a MMO but a lot more. 

    MMO with persisten world+ Single player + offline play+ private server. = Star Citizen

    People just read it all wrong and already jumping to conclusion

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Brenelael

    This is taken from the draft copy of their FAQ which can be read in full here:

    Is Star Citizen an MMO?

    No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

     

    So there you have it folks. This game will not be a MMO but it will have some MMO like features.

     

    Bren

    That sounds great to me.  I'm so very very glad that he is making the game he wants with a focused vision and not making games to fit into idiotic concept boxes defined by marketing teams.  Seriously, people should just stop trying to shove games into the mmo definition and this includes the developers and marketeers pushing their wares.

    I'm interested in this game mostly because he's focused on the PC gamer.  It feels like it has been ages since someone came out from the get go with this perspective.

  • defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common
    Originally posted by halflife25

    Hmmm are people even reading it? he said 'NO' to just being a 'MMO'. And then he went on to say that it will 'best of all possible worlds'. Which mans that yes it won't be just a MMO but a lot more. 

    MMO with persisten world+ Single player + offline play+ private server. = Star Citizen

    People just read it all wrong and already jumping to conclusion

    is just most ppl say that this game dont belong in this site since it isnt an MMO

    if we still considering it as MMO, then they need to add some other single player games with multiplayer benefits like the old Xwing vs Tie fighter and XWing Alliance

     

  • BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by skydiver12

    If this genre wants to move forward, we need more Roberts. Star Citizen is not an MMO, it's more.
    The next step in mmo evolution.

    Persistent World + "Private" Multiplayer Servers (you can still rent a server and host them there).


    @ OP, how strange of you to define "persistent World" as "just" a mmo feature if not the core of the very idea which get's violated by so many so called "MMOs".

    I haven't defined anything. The current state of the genre has. like it or not at this point "Persistant World" is just another feature. The core of what defines a MMO is the Multiplayer aspects of the game. There are plenty of other genres that have persistent worlds. What defines a MMO is hundreds if not thousands of players sharing and interacting with a single persistant world. Will Star Citizen support this? Who knows at this point as the size of the public servers are anybody's guess.

    Will there be such MMO staples as crafting, skill sets, classes, professions and about a dozen other things that define a game a MMO? I seriously doubt it. This is a Multiplayer Space Sim. The economy will be dictated by NPCs not the players. Just because someone can name a jumphole doesn't make it a MMO. Roberts is famous for making great Space Sims. This game will be no different it will just be on a grander scale. If I can play Freelancer or Privateer with a hundred, a thousand or even a million other players on a single server it doesn't change what the game is at it's core... It's just a space sim and not a MMO.

     

    Bren

    while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

  • BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Brenelael

    This is taken from the draft copy of their FAQ which can be read in full here:

    Is Star Citizen an MMO?

    No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

     

    So there you have it folks. This game will not be a MMO but it will have some MMO like features.

     

    Bren

    That sounds great to me.  I'm so very very glad that he is making the game he wants with a focused vision and not making games to fit into idiotic concept boxes defined by marketing teams.  Seriously, people should just stop trying to shove games into the mmo definition and this includes the developers and marketeers pushing their wares.

    I'm interested in this game mostly because he's focused on the PC gamer.  It feels like it has been ages since someone came out from the get go with this perspective.

    I agree with you 100%

     

    Bren

    while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by Krashner
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by saurus123

    so i think its time to remove it from mmorpg.com?

     

     

    Together with World of Tanks, League of Legends, DOTA, Day Z, etc.

    Uhh...how is DayZ not an MMO? If Dayz isn't an MMO then neither is WoW, SWToR, TSW, or LotRO.

    Are you thinking of WarZ?

     

    DayZ is not WarZ. DayZ only allows what like 40 players or something per any open but privately hosted server (can't remember exactly).

    And 40 players running together in a perpetual virtual world is more players than you get in any given zone in Age of Conan, or get in any dungeon in LotRO, or SWTOR,  and heavily instanced games like that, yet they're still called MMOs.

    And you can get up to 100 people per server.

    Let me guess. You think CounterStrike and Call of Duty are mmos also.

    I just got done fighting in a 70 man battle on Mount and Blade, now that's a true mmo. Blizzard must be so jealous since they could only make a game with thousands of people per server. I mean you even have to LOAD when you try and go to another continent. I can't wait for Halo 4, that's going to be the best mmo ever!

    Mount&Blade doesn't have a persistent world. 

    DayZ does. 

  • zeropridezeropride gonzales, LAPosts: 21Member
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by onlinenow25
     

    And you missed the big fat NO! at the start of the answer.

    And you missed the big fat FACT that this implies it will be much more than just another average Joe MMO.

     

    It implies that it won't be an MMO.

    Obviously no one here is able to read past the "NO" and comprehend the text which follows.

    It´s an MMO, it´s a single player game, it´s a multiplayer game which can be hosted on private servers,

     

    THEREFORE

    THE MMO LABEL WOULD BE A JOKE BECAUSE IT GOES FAR BEYOND THAT

    so we may be getting a eve like game without the retarded skill queue and actually has fun combat?!!? Rear Admiral here i come.

  • KrashnerKrashner Noneyabidness, INPosts: 137Member
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Krashner

    I just got done fighting in a 70 man battle on Mount and Blade, now that's a true mmo. Blizzard must be so jealous since they could only make a game with thousands of people per server. I mean you even have to LOAD when you try and go to another continent. I can't wait for Halo 4, that's going to be the best mmo ever!

    Mount&Blade doesn't have a persistent world. 

    DayZ does. 

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aAi-CYPkQw

    Mount and Blade persistent world mod, by your logic it is now an mmo.

  • JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by saurus123

    so i think its time to remove it from mmorpg.com?

     

     

    Together with World of Tanks, League of Legends, DOTA, Day Z, etc.

    Uhh...how is DayZ not an MMO? If Dayz isn't an MMO then neither is WoW, SWToR, TSW, or LotRO.

    Are you thinking of WarZ?

     

    DayZ is not WarZ. DayZ only allows what like 40 players or something per any open but privately hosted server (can't remember exactly).

    And 40 players running together in a perpetual virtual world is more players than you get in any given zone in Age of Conan, or get in any dungeon in LotRO, or SWTOR,  and heavily instanced games like that, yet they're still called MMOs.

    And you can get up to 100 people per server.

    Let me guess. You think CounterStrike and Call of Duty are mmos also.

     They do not have a persistent world. So ofcourse they are not MMO's.

    Now, if they would greate large public servers, with a persistent world with large battlezones where people can conquerer terrain and hold it (aka Planetside), then they would enter the MMO domain.

  • AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy DumfriesPosts: 108Member
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by saurus123

    so i think its time to remove it from mmorpg.com?

     

     

    Together with World of Tanks, League of Legends, DOTA, Day Z, etc.

    Uhh...how is DayZ not an MMO? If Dayz isn't an MMO then neither is WoW, SWToR, TSW, or LotRO.

    Are you thinking of WarZ?

     

    DayZ is not WarZ. DayZ only allows what like 40 players or something per any open but privately hosted server (can't remember exactly).

    And 40 players running together in a perpetual virtual world is more players than you get in any given zone in Age of Conan, or get in any dungeon in LotRO, or SWTOR,  and heavily instanced games like that, yet they're still called MMOs.

    And you can get up to 100 people per server.

    Let me guess. You think CounterStrike and Call of Duty are mmos also.

     They do not have a persistent world. So ofcourse they are not MMO's.

    Now, if they would greate large public servers, with a persistent world with large battlezones where people can conquerer terrain and hold it (aka Planetside), then they would enter the MMO domain.

    I think they will go this route. This is the same guy who helped make freelancer a reality. Put the server hosting in the hands of the players. There are still persistant world servers from freelancer working today with healthy player populations. 

  • BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by Brenelael

    Look... My intention in posting this thread was informational only. 

    Your intention is obvious and that is to sabatoge a game that is trying to get funding.  It says persintant world, and oline play how is that different than any other mmo.

     

    [mod edit]

    [mod edit] I've already pedged to support this project...Twice, once at RSI.com and again on Kickstarter... did you? This was in no way false information. It's a direct reposting of a section of the game's own official FAQ. It's really not trolling in anyway if you are too delusional to believe it. You are the one spreading disinformation trying to turn this into a MMO when even the devs have clearly stated it isn't. [mod edit]

    Bren

    while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

  • IsaneIsane EnglandPosts: 2,629Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by saurus123

    so i think its time to remove it from mmorpg.com?

     

     

    This is one to definitley , and keep here if you don't like that then i know what i'd rather stay. Game stays, you  ....

    ________________________________________________________
    Sorcery must persist, the future is the Citadel 

  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime OlympusPosts: 106Member

    I hope you all mean well, for the Star Citizen game.

    Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  • BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by Averof

    I hope you all mean well, for the Star Citizen game.

    Believe me when I say that I want nothing but the best for this game. I personally think that the devs are being very smart by not labeling this game a MMO even though it does have some MMO like features. Being labeled a MMO would do this game far more harm than good as most gamers only hear "Mind Numbingly Boring Grind" when the term MMO is used to describe a game. By distancing themselves from the MMO genre they have done this game a huge favor. Now this game has the chance to be absolutely amazing which is something it would have a very hard time achieving being labeled a MMO.

     

    Bren

    while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILPosts: 386Member

    Man i wish there was a way to filter out the non client based games and non mmorpgs from this site...so tired of wading through games that are not mmorpgs or browser games on this site...

     

    on to the next one.

  • PyroSoldierPyroSoldier Peterborough, ONPosts: 2Member

    Star Citizen isn't just an MMO. This does not mean that it is not an MMO.

    RSI is planning on hosting official servers for the game. There will be microtransactions for cosmetic changes. There will be a persistant world. You will have people playing together numbering in the hundreds. That sounds like an MMO to me.

    The reason it's not just an MMO is that you will be able to host your own private servers. Modding tools will be available for the game. There will be a singleplayer storyline (probably many storylines) and an offline mode for the game.

    So does it belong on this website? Yes, it does.

    blawrg

  • BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by PyroSoldier

    Star Citizen isn't just an MMO. This does not mean that it is not an MMO.

    RSI is planning on hosting official servers for the game. There will be microtransactions for cosmetic changes. There will be a persistant world. You will have people playing together numbering in the hundreds. That sounds like an MMO to me.

    The reason it's not just an MMO is that you will be able to host your own private servers. Modding tools will be available for the game. There will be a singleplayer storyline (probably many storylines) and an offline mode for the game.

    So does it belong on this website? Yes, it does.

    Proof of that statement? According to Chris Roberts... You know that guy MAKING THE GAME... It won't be a MMO. In fact as further proof this is an answer he gave to the MMO question on Reddit:

     

    "CR: SC is a cross between freelancer and wing commander: it will have a MP aspect where you can board ships and steal them loot them etc, and has no vision of it being able to hold masses of players in one area"

     

    As I said in the other thread... Give it a rest already.

     

    Bren

    while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime OlympusPosts: 106Member

    Allright for the sake of sanity, we can play this along. So this is not an MMO, as answered, could we now focus on news about this Non MMO game?

    Cheers.

    Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  • muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    2 contradicting threads.  might be a fun next couple a minutes.

    I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

  • corpusccorpusc Chattanooga, TNPosts: 1,330Member

    Roberts wants to distance himself from the MMO term cuz there is so much bullshit baggage with the label.

     

    AND because it offers more than MMO capabilities.

     

     

    Defiance and other games have also wanted to not be associated with those 3 letters.   "MMO".  for the same reason i'd never want those letters associated with any eventual online game that i will release.

     

    but far more people on these boards are more interested in fighting over semantics than  grasping the reality of the spirit of the game.

     

     

    The End
    ---------------------------
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

    i dont get people want to call nearly every game that has a MP side to it an MMO...

     

    The game will have multiplayer but this does not make it an MMO.

  • william0532william0532 portland, ORPosts: 251Member

    according to some, theres only one true mmo out there, so why not go to eve's site if you want an mmo only website and leave this one.

     

    Is swtor an mmo? It only allows 200(maybe a little more, there was 212 on fleet once, that I saw) people in one instance? I guess it isn't.

    So remove swtor from this site. In fact, I'm pretty sure 98% of the games listed on this site need to be removed.

Sign In or Register to comment.