Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rocket goes radio silent until release:

SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Rocket posted this today on the DayZ forums:

I don't find anything funny about it all all.

When someone shits in the pool, it floats by us all.

Businessmen don't care for your tears after you have paid them money. And nor to do I. I am here to try and make great computer games, not play politics and trade insults. I don't care what the truth is, I don't care what the result is. There are no winners. There is no victory. This is all pointless bollocks, this is why I quit the video game industry before. So much bullshit, hype, insane fanboy/girlism. Consumerism. When I said that money would ruin everything, some people mocked me. Well. Here it is. The bed has been made, and I'll be damned if everyone is now not going to sleep in it.

I've had enough.

I will do no further media interviews until DayZ standalone is out. None.

I wanted to try and make a great game and all that happens is a damn circus. I'm not just talking about the subject product here, the whole thing is a damn circus and I want nothing to do with that. I will be trying my best to make a great game, and I will quit and fall on my sword if I do not believe the product is good enough to release. Please do not continue to fill my Facebook, twitter, and email with gleeful or otherwise comments. I'm here to make a game.

Consumers, you need to wake up. This is your industry. Sure, indie developers are doing well now but that could rapidly change. Act like a rational person, and if you are a rational person, start trying to bring it into your industry. The only thing that matters is how you spend your money. Nothing else, nothing at all, will impact.

There are two things in the last two months I have grown to despise in this industry:
- Preorders
- Accessibility

Both, I have learned, are just industry code for "profit". Free-to-play (or microtransactions, I see no practical difference) would be on that list if it wasn't for the sense of inevitability thanks to consumer behavior.

Well, nobody pays for a game my name is on before you can try it out. And it will be designed for its challenge, not its accessibility. My games will be inaccessible. There are plenty of accessible games. I want challenging games with meaning.

Seriously if this whole circus, and I'm talking about both 'sides' and also all the media circus that goes on around DayZ in general... if that is the impact that I've made on the video game industry - then I'm ashamed to have been a part of it.

Can't disagree with any of it, lets hope the stand alone game meets his high standards and we see it later this year.

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

True to form, what a douche.

DayZ is truly his expression of character. I call it an "Asshole Simulator".

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    What is he responding to?
  • sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123
    Yeah can we get a little more context here? What is he talking about? Just posting that makes him seem like a spoiled and upset child. 

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228
    i too would like to know what exactly this post is meant for.  as for the accessiblity statement im kinda confused how that effects games. is he talking about freedium modes ruining gaming or making it that you should not be allowed to trial/demo a game before buying it?? 
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Why does it seem like anytime Rocket says anything he makes it feel / sound like he is holier then thou. Like he is the super star developer that can do no wrong?

Truth is that if his publisher says jump he is going to jump just like any other developer with a publisher. No matter how much he makes it sound like he isnt going to release crap, ect ect. He will do whatever the publisher tells him too.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

So what happened with this whole media blow-up hes talking about.

Was it basically the same douch questions being asked over and over?

Although I disagree with him on the whole preorder, I think he right on more or less everthing else.

Ive never preordered a game and then complained about it afterwards. I do my research, I know what I like, and I read unsolicited reviews and then make my decision.

Ive always been more than happy to inject funds into the project by a preorder just to make sure the company has the funds to properly fisnish the game.

But I think Rocket is one of the few people with the knowledge and ability in this industry who really cares more about making a great product than making a great profit (Cryptic, Im looking at you). I think he knows that if you do good on the 1st (great game), the 2nd will follow (great profit).

I have a lot of respect for this guy.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Douche baggery at its finest.  Why do game developers envision themselves much more important than what they are.

Probably goes along with the average gamer acting like the devs murdered their entire family, chopped them up, and fed them to them for breakfast anytime a developer does something that doesnt make theplayer feel like the entire purpose of their career is to make sure every moment of every game is catered exactly to that 1 individual's personal demands and opinions.

Anyway. Its kind of funny how people complain about things on these very forums like games being made too easy, devs being greedy, etc, etc. Then the second a dev actually says the exact same thing and basically tells the crybabies wanting easy mode, etc to piss of.... they knock him for it.

Not sure of the context of the whole thing but kind of sounds to me like things didnt go the way he wanted and possibly the publisher pushed the game out into alpha / beta and pre-orders while hype was high and then there is a lot of backlash from players about it being too hard, things being buggy, etc and he is tired of the crap from both sides. He is kind of caught in the middle it seems with publisher pushing for profit and players complaining, both trying to stop him from doing things "right" in his eyes.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    What is it all about?

Im wondering if the talk of PvE servers, etc is what triggered this. Likely something the publishers are demanding so they can increase sales nd provide the "accessibility" he was referring too. Considering that just came up today on their forums from the Executive Producer, it seems pretty logical that is why he is pissed.
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

"Businessmen don't care for your tears after you have paid them money. And nor to do I."

So the guy is another Derek Smart.

That's too bad.

Oh, well. DayZ's days are numbered now.

I dont think that was meant as youre taking it. He wasnt saying it in the same context as the businessmen comment, just that he doesnt care for the tears in general because: "I am here to try and make great computer games, not play politics and trade insults."

Derek Smart would totally take your money and then insult you :-P

Originally posted by kaiser3282

"Businessmen don't care for your tears after you have paid them money. And nor to do I."

So the guy is another Derek Smart.

That's too bad.

Oh, well. DayZ's days are numbered now.

I dont think that was meant as youre taking it. He wasnt saying it in the same context as the businessmen comment, just that he doesnt care for the tears in general because: "I am here to try and make great computer games, not play politics and trade insults."

Derek Smart would totally take your money and then insult you :-P

I disagree. He said exactly what he meant. There is simply no alternative way to interpret "Businessmen don't care for your tears after you have paid them money. And nor to do I.", it is a very literal statement. It is not out of context, and has not been edited for effect. It simply is what it is.

Whether he said it out of frustration, or genuinely feels that way is irrelavant. He just told anyone and everyone who might have considered his game that once he has your money, he doesn't care.

That is how you kill a business, not grow one.

Youre taking it out of context and completely leaving out the entire next sentence which I quoted. He was saying basically "I dont care for your tears. Im here to make good games" Not "I only care about getting your money, just like businessmen"

The entire thing can be summed as saying "I am a developer. My job is to make games. Not be a businessman, or politician, or argue with people / worry about people crying". Like I said earlier I think some of it has to do with the whole decision apparently by the Exec. Prod. to create PvE only servers, amongst other things, and catering to the crybabies who think the PvP and the game in general is "too hard".

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Way to generate excitement and sell your game DBag.

What a complete douche.  Just another big old red flag on the entire game.  I'll be shocked if making it standalone is even worth the effort.  I assume it's all about the store and keeping it as a mod would make that difficult?

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

It is about "The War Z" and micro transactions.

At the time of posting the forum was a buzz with WarZ stuff hence why this was posted, it made sense at the time but it seems no one really read it until days later.

He just wants to make a good game, that's the bottom line, I'd rather have someone be honest and offend people in the way he seems to have done than have the usual PR crap spouted out. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Games are seldom made in a vacuum.  If "x' number of players want to play with permadeath and gank filled servers but '10x' want PvE servers, the publisher needs to listen.  And the developer needs to be open to implemented stuff they may not personally be a fan of.  This guy just can't take the heat and/or has a ginormous ego.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

He probably should of ran that by a PR person before he posted it.

It sounds like a whiny rant you would find here on MMORPG.com, not a post from a game dev. Does he want people to not be interested or buy his game?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Rocket posted this today on the DayZ forums:

I don't find anything funny about it all all.

When someone shits in the pool, it floats by us all.

Businessmen don't care for your tears after you have paid them money. And nor to do I. I am here to try and make great computer games, not play politics and trade insults. I don't care what the truth is, I don't care what the result is. There are no winners. There is no victory. This is all pointless bollocks, this is why I quit the video game industry before. So much bullshit, hype, insane fanboy/girlism. Consumerism. When I said that money would ruin everything, some people mocked me. Well. Here it is. The bed has been made, and I'll be damned if everyone is now not going to sleep in it.

I've had enough.

I will do no further media interviews until DayZ standalone is out. None.

I wanted to try and make a great game and all that happens is a damn circus. I'm not just talking about the subject product here, the whole thing is a damn circus and I want nothing to do with that. I will be trying my best to make a great game, and I will quit and fall on my sword if I do not believe the product is good enough to release. Please do not continue to fill my Facebook, twitter, and email with gleeful or otherwise comments. I'm here to make a game.

Consumers, you need to wake up. This is your industry. Sure, indie developers are doing well now but that could rapidly change. Act like a rational person, and if you are a rational person, start trying to bring it into your industry. The only thing that matters is how you spend your money. Nothing else, nothing at all, will impact.

There are two things in the last two months I have grown to despise in this industry:
    - Preorders
    - Accessibility

Both, I have learned, are just industry code for "profit". Free-to-play (or microtransactions, I see no practical difference) would be on that list if it wasn't for the sense of inevitability thanks to consumer behavior.

Well, nobody pays for a game my name is on before you can try it out. And it will be designed for its challenge, not its accessibility. My games will be inaccessible. There are plenty of accessible games. I want challenging games with meaning.

Seriously if this whole circus, and I'm talking about both 'sides' and also all the media circus that goes on around DayZ in general... if that is the impact that I've made on the video game industry - then I'm ashamed to have been a part of it.

Can't disagree with any of it, lets hope the stand alone game meets his high standards and we see it later this year.

After seing that there is no way I would invest in warz.  I seen this type of bad dev behavior before with helious from swg.  When dev's think they are god, and the palyers can be talked to like dogs, then you have a problem.  

I got to say I think this dev is a dirtbag.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    you mad bro
  • OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55

you guys need to realize that  THE War Z is NOT the standalone version on the DayZ mod for Arma 2

the War Z is from a pop up company that did not exist 3 months ago called Hammerpoint Interactive.

the War Z lead dev is called Sergey Tittov  you can read many posts from him on thier forum http://forums.thewarz.com/forum.php

DayZ is developed by Dean Hall at Bohemia Interactive and the mod has been running for 6 months + now DayZ Forums are over here http://dayzmod.com/forum/

I have Played both games 

and the one single most important fact about the two games is this

The WarZ is a pay to win game

DayZ is not 

Th WarZ has a cash shop where you can buy ammo (ammo loot is very rare in game) and you can buy head gear that adds armor.

when your character dies you drop everything you are carrying as loot. and when you restart a new character you can go to the shop and your global inventory and equip weapons and ammo etc so that you start with an already geared character.

the fact that ammo is rare in game but can be bought from the cash shop is THE definition of PAY TO WIN.

we as gamers should refuse to support this new gaming trend. only by speaking with our wallets will the industry stop making pay to win games.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

Why does it seem like anytime Rocket says anything he makes it feel / sound like he is holier then thou. Like he is the super star developer that can do no wrong?

Truth is that if his publisher says jump he is going to jump just like any other developer with a publisher. No matter how much he makes it sound like he isnt going to release crap, ect ect. He will do whatever the publisher tells him too.

Hate to state the obvious but its because of the mentality of the PK'er slash ganker mindset.  As much as I like the model for DayZ, it's inhabitants leave alot to be desired and as such there is nothing this side of the sun that could ever make a PvP game work.

I couldnt care less what the context of Dean's comments were related too but its not good PR and its very detrimental to the game as a whole to have your developer go off on something like that.  However it isnt the first time, he routinely goes off on random forum posters expressing "certain" concerns that mod had.

I wish DayZ all the best but they wont get my gameing dollars because of this douchebaggery attitude.  Hey Rocket, heres a tip if your making a game for ONLY you, then you have all the rights to do as you please, but any time you bring consumers into the fold, your #1 priority should be the consumers, because they pay your effing bills.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

The guys just tired of all the flies from piles of bullshit,, getting in the way of designing a good game. Its seems he does not discriminate and realizes that the piles are being shat out by both haters and fanboys ..big businesss and the little fish alike..and he's just fed up of fielding questions about all of it. He just wants to make a good game he'd want to play and be proud of creating.

I think the accessibiility means he's not willing to dumb-down the gameplay to allow any thumbless monkey to play...and I can't disagree with his disdain for pre-purchase offers. All in all i don't see how people see him as a douche when he quite honestly seems the most sincere  of any developer i've read about ...a straight shooter with a touch of integrity. I hope the standalone "DayZ" is as great as he intends.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Hate to state the obvious but its because of the mentality of the PK'er slash ganker mindset.  As much as I like the model for DayZ, it's inhabitants leave alot to be desired and as such there is nothing this side of the sun that could ever make a PvP game work.

I couldnt care less what the context of Dean's comments were related too but its not good PR and its very detrimental to the game as a whole to have your developer go off on something like that.  However it isnt the first time, he routinely goes off on random forum posters expressing "certain" concerns that mod had.

I wish DayZ all the best but they wont get my gameing dollars because of this douchebaggery attitude.  Hey Rocket, heres a tip if your making a game for ONLY you, then you have all the rights to do as you please, but any time you bring consumers into the fold, your #1 priority should be the consumers, because they pay your effing bills.

The state of DayZ and its inhabitants?

You and everyone else seem to think that the game is filled with people farming fresh player spawns and running in gank squads all over the place.

The biggest problem just now in the game are hackers but thats because the mod is basically unsupported now while they make it in to an actual game. 

DayZ became a success because of the gameplay it offered, if that scares you or you are offended by it don't play it. 

There is NO way they should even consider adding PvE servers or anything else just because some players demand it. He is making this game the same way he envisioned the mod when he made that, people seem to like it just not you.

Hey I have an idea, can we get Arena Net to make a full loot open pvp server on GW2, that would be fantastic, you know lots of players want it so why should they restrict the game to only PvE, they are so far up there own butt they can't see what real players want!

Yeah that paragraph above is horse shit.

DayZ is being made in to a stand alone game because there is a demand for it, the guy made the mod and over 1 million people have played it. This game isn't born out of some need to make money, the idea for it didn't come from a man in a suit sitting in an office. It's not the soul purpose of the game to bring in income for bohemia. The only reason they have put a team behind it now is that this mod has shown there is a demand for this type of game, if it doesn't have PvE then just go and play the 1000 other games that offer you that experience, make sure you buy something in the cash shop too, we wouldn't want those business men to go hungry!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

You and everyone else seem to think that the game is filled with people farming fresh player spawns and running in gank squads all over the place.

The biggest problem just now in the game are hackers but thats because the mod is basically unsupported now while they make it in to an actual game. 

DayZ became a success because of the gameplay it offered, if that scares you or you are offended by it don't play it. 

There is NO way they should even consider adding PvE servers or anything else just because some players demand it. He is making this game the same way he envisioned the mod when he made that, people seem to like it just not you.

Hey I have an idea, can we get Arena Net to make a full loot open pvp server on GW2, that would be fantastic, you know lots of players want it so why should they restrict the game to only PvE, they are so far up there own butt they can't see what real players want!

More proof of what that style of gaming brings.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

More proof of what that style of gaming brings.

People that enjoy a style of game that you don't?

What a horror!

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

I think he may be having a pop at the WarZ devs and fanbois.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I think it's about time a Developer actually says what's honestly on his mind, rather than just do some good PR to cater to the whiners.