Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    If I remember correctly, EQ1 had pvp servers, some with special loot conditions like only 1 item and all your gold or something like that.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen
    If I remember correctly, EQ1 had pvp servers, some with special loot conditions like only 1 item and all your gold or something like that.

Yes, they had PVP servers, now only 1 is left I believe. I don't know what the loot conditions were.

I remember the arguments when Rift launched between PVE purists and PVP players, PVE purists don't want any PVP on their servers at all and will refuse to play in games with PVP, some PVE players don't mind.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by pvpirl

I don't actually think EQN is going maintain FFA PVP full loot dynamic, it was just the far end of the sandbox spectrum (UO) in my point that we don't know exactly what they mean by sandbox. I, personally, hope it's a healthy combination of UO, EQ1 and Archeage.

I think the same, Smed IMO meant some sandbox features but more hybrid. He has already said that the world will be more along the lines of EQ and Vanguard( have to find the interview) with new features. This will be the real follow up to EQ not EQ2 which is nothing like how EQ was.

ArcheAge is going to be the main rival to EQNext IMO, Smed may not be everyones cup of tea but he aint an idiot that's for sure,  Smed is EQ.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Well, heres to EQ Next bros. Hopefully they'll give out a nugget of info or screen shot, trailer, etc before SOELive 2013 at E3, PAX, etc

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Well, heres to EQ Next bros. Hopefully they'll give out a nugget of info or screen shot, trailer, etc before SOELive 2013 at E3, PAX, etc

We have concept Art .

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Everquest-Next/popupscreenshots#1

• wb8594wb8594 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Please give me a gameworld with graphics that scale up to 'O My God I want to live Here!!'  Also, player built housing, and towns, let guilds be able to  build a blacksmith shop, inn, tavern, store (butcher/fruits and veggies/bakery/armor/weapons that a guildmember have to be logged in and in the store for sales (lock and unlockable display tables that requires a present guildmember) , also have shipbuilding / maybe even rare airship building that needs a medium/large guilds resources and money to make) in the game, make player craftted items using rare drops the most uber type of gear, make crafting only doable on a workbench/oven/crafting table not 'in-the-field' make harvest nodes random spawns in an area not static, have humanoid mobs drop (weapons/armor) not animals which will only drop (meat/bones/hides and organs)  etc etc etc lol
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

I don't actually think EQN is going maintain FFA PVP full loot dynamic, it was just the far end of the sandbox spectrum (UO) in my point that we don't know exactly what they mean by sandbox. I, personally, hope it's a healthy combination of UO, EQ1 and Archeage.

I think the same, Smed IMO meant some sandbox features but more hybrid. He has already said that the world will be more along the lines of EQ and Vanguard( have to find the interview) with new features. This will be the real follow up to EQ not EQ2 which is nothing like how EQ was.

ArcheAge is going to be the main rival to EQNext IMO, Smed may not be everyones cup of tea but he aint an idiot that's for sure,  Smed is EQ.

Im hoping we will see alot more immersive gameplay. The soemote and integrated and modulated voice chat will be nice. I assume any feature thats in planetside 2, EQ2 or SWG that has an eqn application will be in EQn, and that might include FPS combat (its certainly capable of it with that engine).  Im hoping that they go 3 man grouping with no trinity but really advanced crowd control, but i have my doubts. I also doubt there will be open pvp anywhere other than pvp servers. I am really really hoping they do something with eq1's original faction system.

i would also like to see no levels or experience points and a unique skill collection system but well have to see on that as well.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

We have concept Art .

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Everquest-Next/popupscreenshots#1

that was from 2 years ago - and is now obsolete

http://eq2wire.com/2010/08/06/eq-next-first-concept-art/

http://eq2wire.com/2011/04/03/eqnext-screen-shots-and-concept-art-from-fan-faire-2010-repost/

http://eq2wire.com/2012/06/19/eqnext-news-late-this-year/

Smokejumper:

Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

EQ was a themepark through and through.  Linear class design, every warrior was the same, every monk, every druid... Completely loot driven.  Zones catering to specific levels (yes there were some mobs in each zone that were harder but the zone itself was all approximately the same level).  Llimted crafting completely outdone by loot and of course absolutely no way to impact/shape/own the world.

EQ was a complete themepark.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Sounds like fun.....

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Dont really care as i dont play anything thats closely related to Smedley or SOE

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by rungard

i would also like to see no levels or experience points and a unique skill collection system but well have to see on that as well.

theres a smed interview at massively - not much info but seems like the game will not be tier based for gear

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Olgark

SOE has a horrid history of not listening to the players and yes I will hold the SWG fiasco over their heads and will judge them by that failure. As I will judge BioWare for the failure of SWTOR, DA:2 and ME3.

I was on the forums weeks before the NGE went live and read a lot of threads and posts from players begging SOE not to go ahead with the patch. SOE didn't listen then so why will they listen now ?

I held the NGE againist SOE & Lucas Arts for many years and wouldn't touch anything with their logo on it with a pole the length of the Kessle run (12 parsecs) until Swtor. I do think SOE is listening now probably due to Smeadly being a EVE player and witnessing how CCP does it successfuly, I also understand that SOE has been listerning to it Beta/General Planetside 2 community so its a good sign.

From previous interviews like the Reddit one, Smed's comes across as humbled and wanting to use SOE's own IP to create a decent MMO to avoid artistic clashes with other companies which I believe was the problem in the past especially in SWG case. I'm going to chance it one more time with Smed's & SOE due to playing the all the right overures with EQN and not having anything to lose at this stage of the MMO genre and I don't think that anyone has anything to lose by giving SOE one last chance either image

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

I think the fact he said sandbox 'style' is a prelude to a get-out-clause. This is hype talk to get people interested. The big AAA MMO companies are slowly coming around to the fact that players are wanting a proper sandbox mmo, just look at the top 5 development games on this site.

A Sandbox is a sandbox, it doesnt have a 'style' it is what it is. But I guess the fact that SOE is pandering to the demands of the players is a good thing, themeparks have become stale and washedout, they have been done to death while sandbox games have been left in the shadows of indie developers, truth is themeparks are the lazy games to develop, marketing guys proudly patting each other on the back for selling crap with little effort, suddenly they are now standing there wondering why the boss is shouting at them because thier $100 million dollars of the 'next best thing' is failing so hard, maybe SOE has realised they have to actually create an excellent game with talented devolpers for a change.

Lets hope they can deliver, but in al honesty, I think we are still quite a few years away from a true AAA sandbox, EQNext is just the first tiny step.

Originally posted by Nadia

theres a smed interview at massively - not much info but seems like the game will not be tier based for gear

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/

well after reading that i think we can  possibly assume that traditional classes will be in the game. I really do hope though that they dont have levels and experience though.  I am so tired of levels and exp. Lets hope they have a better way that is more immersive and organic

i started a dwarven cleric way back at the begining, and hopefully ill end as one as well :)

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by rungard i would also like to see no levels or experience points and a unique skill collection system but well have to see on that as well.
    theres a smed interview at massively - not much info but seems like the game will not be tier based for gear http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/  
     well after reading that i think we can  possibly assume that traditional classes will be in the game. I really do hope though that they dont have levels and experience though.  I am so tired of levels and exp. Lets hope they have a better way that is more immersive and organic

i started a dwarven cleric way back at the begining, and hopefully ill end as one as well :)

Warrior lfg in 2 years :P

Hopefully EQN gets it's own forum at least on here soon, or an offical forum would be nice.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen

Yes, they had PVP servers, now only 1 is left I believe. I don't know what the loot conditions were.

I remember the arguments when Rift launched between PVE purists and PVP players, PVE purists don't want any PVP on their servers at all and will refuse to play in games with PVP, some PVE players don't mind.

The Zeks

Tallon and Vallon....or was it Rallos?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I would not be suprised to see EQN launch with multiple server types, could be some of the following.

1. PvE

2. PvP faction (evil vs good)

3. PvP ffa

Then you could have various loot conditions on one or all the pvp types...They have shown that they like to have multiple types of servers.  Not saying they have done a great job with it, but hopefully they have learned and will do it right, if it is being built from the ground up.  They even had special events in EQ, where they had a permadeath level competition...

I like the direction, I was hoping they would have something a little more sandboxish, as the current themeparks have been easy/stale/boring imo. 

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    i dont know about u guys, but im tired of themeparks, i welcome any less travelled or new style of play the can come up with at this point.

well we have the required 350 posts in one day in one thread. Can we get a forum now.
  • PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116
    Whatever EQ2 next is, it's not a sandbox unless 99% of the items in the game can be destroyed and created.

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Vorthanion Originally posted by Olgark SOE can't make a decent sandbox game they proved it with the mess up that was SWG and their NGE patch.
    The only reason why the CU and NGE happened is due to the fact that their sandbox game was hemorrhaging subscriptions and they panicked.
    Two words: WoW Fever

This is wrong - what led to the downfall of SWG (the shrinking in player numbers) was that they used wrong metrics and did ignore their playerbase to get the mystical "bigger one" out of nowhere.

SWG did in fact grow until SOE decided to fire up the jedi (holo)grind what led to the destruction of the community and a first reduction of their playerbase.
    Its somewhere beyond the 47 minute mark in this inteview with Raph Koster:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifhmDVWszbQ

CU and NGE were total ignorance on the SOE side and the NGE is the biggest debacle in the history of MMOs up to today and why there is so much doubt when SOE is involved.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

Lets hope hes learned his lesson.

• The_FranchiseThe_Franchise Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Ripostethis
    Not enough funding to make it a big theme park mmo like Everquest 2 was. Will be something like GW2 , sounds like it will suck and be boring if you are into PVE, but will be based on pvp.

Haha what? How did you reach this conclusion?

Not enough funding? SoE is one of the most successful MMO companies out there. They had the funds to develop Planetside 2's engine from scratch (and it is an AMAZING engine). And how will it be like sandbox? GW2 is the opposite of a sanbox.

And why does sandbox mean PvP? SWG was PvE oriented, as was Asheron's Call.

Christ.

SWG was not PVE oriented during pre-cu and cu.  It became more pve oriented, but still was laregely pvp with the NGE/Trials of Obi Wan expansion that caused everyone to quit.  After that if you looked in the right places you would find pvp, but the GCW was never the same after the NGE.

well we have the required 350 posts in one day in one thread. Can we get a forum now.

I concur.

This discussion has been closed.