Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developers looking at ways to stop this being a gankfest including pve servers .

I've just noticed this like on the War Z facebook page . It does sound like they are listening to concerns about this becoming a gankfest .

http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?35575-PVP-problem/page54

This includes the possible inclusion of different types of servers including pve ones .

Comments

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

I never saw more morons in pvp in  5 years!!!!

I understand there are survivors and must be bandits but 3 days ago the gankfest was out of control.

Whats the point in kiling a fresh spawn newbie armed only with a flashlight when you have an automatic rifle?

Seems that the zombies in game are not the real danger, another players are!!! 

Nowadays the game has no meaning at all.

Cant imagine what will happen in months after the game is released and those players are full geared.

The original concept was good but those idiots are ruining the game. Hope devs take good note and make some changes. I also think a pve server will be very boring but human idiocy never ceases to surprise me.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

ganking is what pvp players like to do. you can't make a pvp game and avoid ganking.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I think one of the posts in the War Z  forums says it best . A survival horror game is not ment to be about player kills so the PVP should not overtake the point of a zombie simulation . I think what may be best is to have hardcore servers where players that like the idea of having the abilty to loot anyone they kill can do what they want to do , have faction based servers where theres no looting of killed players or 24 lockout and have pve servers for those who what a pve style game . The the hardcore ,mediumcore and softcore players will be happy .

Personally I m going for the second option if such a choice is possible . A hardcore gankfest will mean this game will end within a year or two because the majority of gamers dont want that . Nor do many want a easy cakewalk . its best to cater to all play styles thats the smart thing to do . The stupid thing would be to cater for a minority that just want to kill every one they see .

Some of us like a community . Fortunatly the people developing this game are wise enough to see the kind of idiots that could take it over and are looking to address that problem so it becomes something thats playable for the majority and not the few .

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181
    This is only alpha and the map size is restricted at this time. Simply opening up the map with the proper number of players will reduce the gankfest. There will also be servers availale rented by players and clans that will be whitlisted. The real time server is the one I will utilately be playing on. The game definitely needs to be re-balanced in the PVP area. There are too many snipers all over the place for one thing. But this is what testing is for. No game concept/plan ever surivives first contact with the players especially when many of them are pre-pubescent nerds.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    why can't these games just completely randomize spawn points?....make a huge map and have 200 + random spawn point all over the map.
  • SkaldirSkaldir Member UncommonPosts: 48

It's no different than DayZ, but because the map Colorado in the current stage is very limited so you constantly run into other players, thus getting killed a lot.

Originally posted by Illudo

It's no different than DayZ, but because the map Colorado in the current stage is very limited so you constantly run into other players, thus getting killed a lot.

Maybe it worked well for the Day Z in a mod of a first person shooter but perhaps people want something more than that . And perhaps when the Day z has a stand alone model then they may see the need to offer different options for different style .

I actually think given the War Z s developers seem to be listening to their potential player base it could end up as the winner . It certainly made me change my mind and buy the game today . If it turns out not to work out no biggie it was very cheap anyway .

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt now so I'm going to support them .

Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    why can't these games just completely randomize spawn points?....make a huge map and have 200 + random spawn point all over the map.

Random spawn points would be a must on a hardcore server I would think other wise your just going to get people camping them .

Originally posted by LydarSynn
    This is only alpha and the map size is restricted at this time. Simply opening up the map with the proper number of players will reduce the gankfest. There will also be servers availale rented by players and clans that will be whitlisted. The real time server is the one I will utilately be playing on. The game definitely needs to be re-balanced in the PVP area. There are too many snipers all over the place for one thing. But this is what testing is for. No game concept/plan ever surivives first contact with the players especially when many of them are pre-pubescent nerds.

C'mon lets face it there are pubescent nerds that do the same thing too lol .

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Mesfenlir

I never saw more morons in pvp in  5 years!!!!

I understand there are survivors and must be bandits but 3 days ago the gankfest was out of control.

Whats the point in kiling a fresh spawn newbie armed only with a flashlight when you have an automatic rifle?

Seems that the zombies in game are not the real danger, another players are!!! 

Nowadays the game has no meaning at all.

Cant imagine what will happen in months after the game is released and those players are full geared.

The original concept was good but those idiots are ruining the game. Hope devs take good note and make some changes. I also think a pve server will be very boring but human idiocy never ceases to surprise me.

That fresh spawn is going to backstab you the first time you're going to turn your head.Yes with a flashlight.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Illudo

It is different, there is no one on DayZ killing fresh spawns because it is entirely pointless. The best thing you get out of it is a bandage and a torch.

You go on DayZ and try killing noobs, i'd bet within half an hour another player is there killing you because you are being so obvious.

Also on DayZ many of the spawn points are several kilometers apart, takes you about 20 - 30 mins to run between them.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They don't need pve servers, they need hi-sec, low-sec, null-sec
  • NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197
    how about having protection for 1 hour (or specific time) after you spawn from getting killed, this will give you some time to go hide/loot/search around e.t.c , and also heavy penaldy on bandits, when they die instead of 1 hour till they spawn make it 3 -4 hours...it will make em think better of when its time to kill

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    They're reducing the amount of damage flashlights do in future, thus no more oneshotting flashlights of doom!

ganking is what pvp players like to do. you can't make a pvp game and avoid ganking.

True but as people have pointed out this is ment to be a survival horror game and not simply about pvp . So you do need some checks and balances to make sure it doesn't get out of hand . Theres a big difference between a pvp game and a gankfest which  will put off a lot of players .

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by LydarSynn

Yes, if you stretch out the spawn points and release a bigger map there is going to be less deaths per hour. However, that isn't going to stop the deathmatch shoot on sight mentality. This is what happens when a game becomes extremely popular and appeals to the general audience - take a look at DayZ's history for an example of that. What was once a niche community enjoying it for the "authentic" survival/humanity based experience is now people enjoying it for the tactical shooter aspect.

Perhaps white-listed servers will offer a better experience but I doubt it will change the deathmatch mentality. In a game without consequences you'll find that in general people are just going to kill for the fun of it.. because why not?

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

First of all - I really enjoyed playing this game and hope it does well, that said..

Seriously, they didn't see this coming? This seems like really really poor planning.

2 years in development my rear end.

What did they actually expect?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by roo67

True but as people have pointed out this is ment to be a survival horror game and not simply about pvp . So you do need some checks and balances to make sure it doesn't get out of hand . Theres a big difference between a pvp game and a gankfest which  will put off a lot of players .

Every mmo company must find out the hard way.  About three seconds later, 'carebear' first appears...

And the official war between company needs (new player retention) and pv-peen (gankin da nubs) is on.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Every mmo company must find out the hard way.  About three seconds later, 'carebear' first appears...

And the official war between company needs (new player retention) and pv-peen (gankin da nubs) is on.

I think your post shows exactly why theres need for different types of servers and why lots of people want to avoid playing with people like yourself .

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Whiners forget something :) You have same chance as anyone else, it is not fault of good pvp guys that you suck so much. Simple as that it is not game for some of you guys. I bet that most of the whiners used to say in some other mmo's--If you want easy way go play wow. I say now same thing to you--GO PLAY WOW if you want instant respawn . And that comes from guy who plays  wow for over 8 years.  I die from laughing when i see in game  this kind of guys in panic missing me with 10 bullets. You don't die for real guys, why are you afraid so much :)
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Whiners forget something :) You have same chance as anyone else, it is not fault of good pvp guys that you suck so much. Simple as that it is not game for some of you guys. I bet that most of the whiners used to say in some other mmo's--If you want easy way go play wow. I say now same thing to you--GO PLAY WOW if you want instant respawn . And that comes from guy who plays  wow for over 8 years.  I die from laughing when i see in game  this kind of guys in panic missing me with 10 bullets. You don't die for real guys, why are you afraid so much :)

No, you don't actually.  You can't attack someone with nothing.  If you have a flashlight out, you are going to be a huge target for everyone at night.  Plus, who is going to win?  A flashlight or a shotgun, or assault rifle, or sniper riflt?  The answer is obvious.  People are killing people for no reason, other than because you can.  It's a big reason why WarZ will never be what it could be. I personally believe that private servers would do this game a lot of good.  If not private, then PvE servers.  If you don't want to be bored and you don't want to play a 'crappy' version of the game, then join the normal PvP servers and get your gank on.  By hating on giving the players options, you are just making yourself look like you want people to be unhappy just because you don't like something.  

Id rather just have the normal servers balanced properly, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Originally posted by bubaluba

Again this shows why faction based servers and pve ones are a good idea . You dont seem a paticulary social person so you would be better playing on hardcore servers where you wont get player interaction and you can kill and gank people to your hearts content . Just what would you have against there being different server options ? You dont have to play on them if you don't like them . More options with servers will mean more people playing which means the game might survive longer . You really havn't thought this through have you ? Doesn't supprise me one bit though .

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by roo67 I've just noticed this like on the War Z facebook page . It does sound like they are listening to concerns about this becoming a gankfest . http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?35575-PVP-problem/page54 This includes the possible inclusion of different types of servers including pve ones .
    I think that pve servers would lack the spirit of the game. At least for me, this type of game is about it being realistic.

I played only DayZ, not this one, but I believe it also relies a lot on the atmosphere and setting.

It just wouldnt be the same if you cant kill another person.

It's a zombie apocalypse. ZOMBIES. It's not a realistic representation of anything. Aside from the ZOMBIES, people don't behave the same way in real life as they do in video games. "Realistic" is just a bad argument for anything in a video game or virtual environment.

From a developer's perspective, it makes sense to reach as many people as you can, with the resources you have available without compromising the vision the developer has for their game. If a developer isn't tied to a particular style of server, then there's no reason they shouldn't explore more possibilities. A server with factions or a PvE based server with optional PvP are definitely options to explore, if for no other reason than to rule them out as viable models for their game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by coretex666

Originally posted by roo67 I've just noticed this like on the War Z facebook page . It does sound like they are listening to concerns about this becoming a gankfest . http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?35575-PVP-problem/page54 This includes the possible inclusion of different types of servers including pve ones .
    I think that pve servers would lack the spirit of the game. At least for me, this type of game is about it being realistic.

I played only DayZ, not this one, but I believe it also relies a lot on the atmosphere and setting.

It just wouldnt be the same if you cant kill another person.

It's a zombie apocalypse. ZOMBIES. It's not a realistic representation of anything. Aside from the ZOMBIES, people don't behave the same way in real life as they do in video games. "Realistic" is just a bad argument for anything in a video game or virtual environment.

From a developer's perspective, it makes sense to reach as many people as you can, with the resources you have available without compromising the vision the developer has for their game. If a developer isn't tied to a particular style of server, then there's no reason they shouldn't explore more possibilities. A server with factions or a PvE based server with optional PvP are definitely options to explore, if for no other reason than to rule them out as viable models for their game.

If this zombie apocalypse would be real and you would run around with a bottle of water and a gun while i would be thirsty then be sure that i wouldn't ask you for it ,i would rather kill you than take chances.

It is a survival game,do whatever you have to do in order to survive,even if that means killing others to CHECK if they have something.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

I've just noticed this like on the War Z facebook page . It does sound like they are listening to concerns about this becoming a gankfest .

http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?35575-PVP-problem/page54

This includes the possible inclusion of different types of servers including pve ones .

Stop this right now. I'm tired of this falsehood. Stop posting ignorant threads that follow the same suit the modern media does.  "Oh justin beiber took a shit today--he must hate all races!" 

Fun fact! You can rent your own server. Fun Fact! You CAN'T disable PVP. Gee, how about password protecting your server so you and your close friends can play PVE style games? (Dramatic recreation) "Oh Em Ghee! F2P P2W this game cater's to carebears!"

TL;DR - No servers will be only PVP or PVE. None. Just like in DayZ; you can password protect servers and keep bandit/gankers out-but if you shoot at someone, they die. 

They want to discourage spawn ganking. That's it. Players are exploting the game and camping spawns. They are not targeting the players who camp towns or loot spots; only those who sit at the designated spawns. Hey! Guess what! You can still spawn camp; they only want to encourage you to stop by making you life harder in some way. They won't give new player spawns a protective bubble of invincibilty!

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2