Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baresark

Comments

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I know they made a point to try and erradicate scripting. Think that was the concept of limiting schoools of magic and having certain ones blocked out depending on what you picked. No more jack of all trades. I think it will make battles more interesting. Scripting wasnt particularlly fun.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Looks cool, but that stomp skill...way to strong...if you are melee with no range...and another melee uses that on you...how do you catch him?  It's instant get away skill...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• reacaerreacaer Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by Kyleran

When I saw that Baresark knock the (NPC?) off the cliff I knew I'd found a class to love, especially if it works on players the same.

It was probably just a player standing still so yes, it will work on players. Rather, I'd actually wonder if it will work on monsters instead. Knockback skills in DF1.0 weren't very effective in PvE (the monster was barely pushed at all while a player would fly very high)

Abilities and spells that crowd control (like knockback, wall of force, stormblast..) used to work on NPCs the same way they do on players back in the days, the problem was that this could be exploited by knocking mobs into holes or places with no way out without pro parkouring and used to skill spells on. :P

The one in the video is probably a dummy to simulate a player, nice video cant wait for 20th november :Q_

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I know we're not supposed to use such words on here, but cant help but say that looks fucking awesome.

Much bigger change than I expected as for as the overall look of the game and UI. It really does look like a whole new game, but still ha sthe DF feel to it.

Im very glad to see there are the various specializations within each role. Its going to be very fun trying them all out and mastering them for different situations.

I do have a couple issues / concerns though with that video.

1) Some already pointed out the whole Stomp thing. Yeah, doesnt really make much sense to call it that when he is doing nothing close to stomping. Just a minor detail thoough.

2) Both Stomp and Stampede (if you read the description) are knockbacks. here are my concerns with it:

a) with friendly fire in the game, these are going to either piss off your allies when you punt them out of melee range when theyre on your enemy beating the crap out of them or use of them will be frowned upon because of that and they will become sort of a unused skill

b) theyve talked about trying to elimante bunny hopping but with being able to use these 2 skills on allies I can see them being used both for punting friendlies away when close to death allowing them to escape at much faster speeds, or punting a friend into an enemy running away (likely much faster than a mount, which was part of the problem with BH) so that they can immediately get into melee range. People will also use it to help eachother get over walls, which they had also mentioned was supposed to be much tougher to do. It doesnt seem to be  abig upwards punt, so maybe this wont be an issue really.

c) without actually seeing its knockback effect in action, I dont know how bad this will be as far as its knockback range, etc. But Stampede seems like the sort of skill you would use to quickly close the gap with someone and get into melee range. But with it also having a knockback effect, will it make it kind of useless in that sense, since yeah youll charge to the enemy quickly, but then knock them right back out of range. Perhaps im wrong in that and it may only do a kncback from the location you triggered it at, but no knocback in the path ahead of you as youre charging through.

Anyway, just a few issues that might come up witht hose particular skills. I could be way off, tough to say without actually getting to play with it hands on yet, but knowing some of the players in DF theyll come up with creative ways to use these things.

Damn I cant wait until Nov 20th now. I think it's going to be surprisingly more well done than DF1 was. Animations and stuff look much nicer, the overall world looks much nicer, and lots of cool new stuff for us to play around with. Cant wait to see some Skirmisher action.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Lookin' good AV, very nice. However, I was under the impression that this game was going to be yet another unfortunate example of vaporware. What gives? image

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by Icarumba

Anyone notice anything different about animations? I thought they were going to have an animation overhaul, but the running looks the same to me.

the run animation is different and a lot more fluid in this video. not even close to the old (current) animation.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    i like the improvemeants so far
  • ArnoagnsArnoagns Member Posts: 100

[mod edit]

These guys are operating the same way they did for the original darkfall, little information and little to show of everything. Can we never learn? Video showed a small improvement over running and better but still outdated graphics/animations. Falling animations being completely the same.

They couldn't swing a weapon ONCE in that video? One minute?

[mod edit]

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Woah! I am so hyped right now!

To be honest, from seeing this gameplay video, the game looks absolutely amazing! The animations looks very fluid, compared to the first game!

Way to go Aventurine! :)

PS: I am not a fanboy at all, but still I get so angry when you people just complain about how "terrible" the graphics/animations are! I have played so many mmorpgs and compared to 70% of em, this looks really good! Sure, it is a very short video with just a few movements, but I still think that we will see this quality in the others animations too.....

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Gotta love people complaining about how a misspelled word became more "correct" Berserk is way off the actual word and baresark is so much closer. Bare =/= without sark eg Särk in swedish which is top clothing so without clothing on top that directly leads to the baresarker's. (Oh man, so gonna start using that word instead of bärsärk.) 

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Bakoryo
    Gotta love people complaining about how a misspelled word became more "correct" Berserk is way off the actual word and baresark is so much closer. Bare =/= without sark eg Särk in swedish which is top clothing so without clothing on top that directly leads to the baresarker's. (Oh man, so gonna start using that word instead of bärsärk.) 

Actually the word "bärsärk" means "bear-shirt" - the norse berserkers wore bear pelts (the bear being considered holy), much like the "Úlfhéðinn", who wore wolf pelts and were regarded as Odin's chosen warriors.

So "bare" should be "bear" if we are to stay true to the etymology here.

OnT: the video looked good, but I dislike the animations, they still look stiff and unnatural; they guy flying off the cliff looks like plastic figurine, not like a person falling at all.

Not that it matters though as long as the combat is nice and fluid.

The UI is a giant leap from the old one and the skill system sounds very promising indeed.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Arnoagns

[mod edit]

These guys are operating the same way they did for the original darkfall, little information and little to show of everything. Can we never learn? Video showed a small improvement over running and better but still outdated graphics/animations. Falling animations being completely the same.

[mod edit]

At DarkFall's launch there was plenty of informations and gameplay videos (including a 17 minutes one of various gameplay footage). AV also explained on many occassions what they had to leave out of the game for "x" and "y" reasons (lazyness I say, but still).

For DFUW, Aventurine has answered many player questions through text format. The general combat and crafting should be relatively the same thing as DF1.0 so they probably don't find the need to bother much explaining that. However now they're showing Roles which is one of the things players were really looking forward. They did however made a 5-ish minutes video from the developers to talk about their visions of the game and why they decided to make DFUW.

With that being said, I don't see how the graphics are an issue. They're slightly better than DF1, but overall shouldn't really be relevant. There's no point of having the graphical quality of a game like Final Fantasy 14 if you're trying to create a FFA PvP MMORPG that focuses on large scale battles. Players are already struggling to run at a decent FPS during large battles, imagine how it'd be with FF14 graphics. Graphics are fine.

Before posting you should bother researching. Just saying, Mr "The only sane person".

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    baresark [?b???s??k]

n

(Myth & Legend / Norse Myth & Legend) another word for berserk [2]
    [literally: bare shirt]

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by mikethk

Did you guys notice the compareness of this and LOL?

Here you get 4 spells/skills 1 being the ulti...... Totally like LOL.

But you have it 2 times.... Like having 2 champs. :) But with focus on 1 of them...

I believe this is done so perfectly well.

Think you're overthinking it abit make...:P

• ArnoagnsArnoagns Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by Arnoagns

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

At DarkFall's launch there was plenty of informations and gameplay videos (including a 17 minutes one of various gameplay footage). AV also explained on many occassions what they had to leave out of the game for "x" and "y" reasons (lazyness I say, but still).

For DFUW, Aventurine has answered many player questions through text format. The general combat and crafting should be relatively the same thing as DF1.0 so they probably don't find the need to bother much explaining that. However now they're showing Roles which is one of the things players were really looking forward. They did however made a 5-ish minutes video from the developers to talk about their visions of the game and why they decided to make DFUW.

With that being said, I don't see how the graphics are an issue. They're slightly better than DF1, but overall shouldn't really be relevant. There's no point of having the graphical quality of a game like Final Fantasy 14 if you're trying to create a FFA PvP MMORPG that focuses on large scale battles. Players are already struggling to run at a decent FPS during large battles, imagine how it'd be with FF14 graphics. Graphics are fine.

Before posting you should bother researching. Just saying, Mr "The only sane person".

The beginning was a light jab :P, don't fret too seriously about that - I sound a lot more serious online than I do in person. My posts are a lot more light hearted than they sound, I haven't been able to convey that once.

My annoyance with the video is that it's really, REALLY, short. Of course I'd want it longer! And of course I'll think pre orders are silly, whether you think it's good or not, we've seen very little of it. I hope footage increases, atleast a tad. 

Your point on graphics is exactly what irked me, I felt like all they updated is graphics, who cares about that? I'm going to have to look more into it. But I hope they tweaked the combat system a bit, if anything added a more meaty feel. Is there a source that's purely about Darkfall UW?

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Regardless if graphics being outdated or not, they still have a decent level of quality enough to not be an annoyance. If you take a look at their screenshots that have been released, I'm fairly satisified with their product. The only deal breaker will be how animations work out, too early to comment on thus far.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I really don't get the whole "bad graphics thing". I think the game world looks pretty darn impressive given you can actually get about and explore virtually all of it.

See that mountain range over there? Yep you can work your way up to nearly all of those peaks. See that river? Yep drop in it and get taken along on a ride through rapids and over waterfalls.

It has a good quality of "looks" given the sheer level of world freedom. I'll take that over a slightly prettier setting which is essentially a static painting with masses of invisible walls and a character incapable of getting up even the slightest slope.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    this game had so many serious problems involving core-features, now that they changed for better (in theory), ppl are worried with "animations".  "animations...." lol
  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    this game had so many serious problems involving core-features, now that they changed for better (in theory), ppl are worried with "animations".  "animations...." lol

Well when the animations were just horrible before like stop-motion photographs of a robot, any improvement is a big thing. 

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

Well when the animations were just horrible before like stop-motion photographs of a robot, any improvement is a big thing. 

If animations are preventing you from having fun in a video game, manly because its a mmorpg(tech limits), i really feel sry for u. 

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

If animations are preventing you from having fun in a video game, manly because its a mmorpg(tech limits), i really feel sry for u. 

It may not "stop" anyone from having fun, but it can surely be an annoying disturbance. Since you spend all your playtime watching the animations, they can be really fucking annoying if done badly. After all, they are part of the illusion of performing actions in a virtual world and interacting with the environment. If they are so poorly done that they break that illusion, the game just doesn't feel right.

It all ties in with the whole though; if combat is fluid overall and the world feels "right" as far as level design and atmosphere goes, I don't mind bad animations too much. If the whole thing feels clunky and fake however, bad animations may be the final nail in the coffin.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I was all mad about a the genocide of the dwarves but that video made me a ilttle happier.  Going to have to log in and play the old one for a bit.  Can't wait for release.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• witchkillerwitchkiller Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Kaminaxius

wow..I'm really thouroughly impressed with AV

The UI looks really good and i LOVE that they're giving melee special ''abilities'' to make it a much more interesting role to play than what it was in df1

Looking good can't wait for release in 1 month!

I agree with you, just wanted to point out that melee had special abilities in df1. Disable blow, whirlwind, power attack, knock back, seize.

I'm really excited about UW, but DF1 had a special spot in my heart as well, and I don't like people speaking misinformation

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by witchkiller
    Originally posted by Kaminaxius

wow..I'm really thouroughly impressed with AV

The UI looks really good and i LOVE that they're giving melee special ''abilities'' to make it a much more interesting role to play than what it was in df1

Looking good can't wait for release in 1 month!

I agree with you, just wanted to point out that melee had special abilities in df1. Disable blow, whirlwind, power attack, knock back, seize.

I'm really excited about UW, but DF1 had a special spot in my heart as well, and I don't like people speaking misinformation

well, yes it did indeed have those abilities but...the only one used was the WW, usually tied in a macro between switching weapons/staff. I've never seen another one used in fighting in pvp...

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Actually Baresark is a "correct" version of "Berserk" somewhat. If memory serves there. I think I read somewhere that many interpratations of the word mean the warriors that fight naked. So there, don't drop the soap around them and all.