Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Lion Chests currently selling for 16c... this will rise as more and more realise that the Hall

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Actually, checking today, they are actually selling for as little as 16c each right now.

During the first 3-4 weeks of launch they were selling for 3c.  Do the keys actually drop from mobs anymore?  They did in beta, but in my 100 hours or so of playing i've never had one drop.

From my experience, and it might just be perception, the chance for them to drop actually decreases as you rise in levels, but yeah they do drop. I am surprised you haven't got one in that much time tbh... I have never considered the chests to be rare.

Oh the chests don't seem to be rare at all, the keys on the other hand.  I know they want to sell keys through the cs, which is why I was wondering if they took them out as drops altogether (outside of personal story rewards).  I don't really have a problem with this so it wasn't a complaint, just a question.

Ahh sos, I misread the bit where you said key :)

Yeah, I have seen the keys drop in live, but again they have dried up as I have levelled each char.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

If I were to estimate, I would guess I've gotten 20 or so random keys to about 80 chests.  Keys seem to have a chance to come from map completion and the daily achievement chest, as well as from within chests you open. 

Overall, nothing very exciting comes from them, so there's definitely a low demand.  Because of the low demand and the rareness of keys, there's an extremely high supply on the TP.  I wouldn't expect the halloween additions to be anything more than costumes and other vanity items.  Anyone who is interested in these things probably already has 50 chests sitting in their bank already.  I really doubt the halloween events will drive demand for the chests up so high that players blow through their entire personal stash of chests as well as the hundreds of thousands up on the TP.  Keys will be in greater demand, for sure,  But demand for more chests will only increase with a greater supply of keys or with greater player willingness to purchase keys from the gemstore. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Actually, checking today, they are actually selling for as little as 16c each right now.

I had bought up about 300 chests when they were 2c each, taking a gamble on them having cool promos now and then or new loot added to them. Currently stockpiling gold to convert to gems to buy keys for the event to get the costumes.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by DMKano

Fluff... More and mor fluff, skins. 

I'd give up just about anything for a chance to get some actual better gear than current exotic junk. I don't care what my character looks like, I could look like a wet turd, just want better gear.

I know I am a sucker for gear progression and seeing all those stupid stat numbers get higher . I know it's shallow, but that's what drives my interest in games (in addition to nice graphics, combat etc...)

ah you want a easier game may i suggest WOW  i hear you get  all that there

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

Well I saved up a bunch of chests, figured what was the point of listing them when there are so many in the trading post.

glad I didn't!  I myself have no problem buying gems from the CS, to me it isn't any different than paying a sub.

And since there isn't any sub games I want to play, then  why not.  What I am wondering is will these Halloween skins be account bound or will we be seeing them in trade?

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    So I'm hearing that the skins are random drops from mystic chest, and the only thing that's not in the chest is a set of horns. People on the official forums are calling the holloween event a money grab event, and even calling it gambling. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

i have got 8 keys and have 70+ chests left from drops. It will cost a fortune in gems to use all the chests for me. If drop of chests where more rare , it would be more tempted to actual buy keys . As it is now i feel the amount that drops is so much that i don't want to spend a dime opening chest,

Unless there comes a bulk recipe with chests , there is no reason that they should ever cost more than 3 copper, simply because they are aboundant.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I wonder if the current chests will be upgraded to the halloween chests, or are they already pre-determined with loot inside?  I would love to know  that, if it's even possible. lol.
    Originally posted by bcbully
    So I'm hearing that the skins are random drops from mystic chest, and the only thing that's not in the chest is a set of horns. People on the official forums are calling the holloween event a money grab event, and even calling it gambling. 

Yes, sometimes a few people will post silly things.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Why do you consider it 'silly' Lok?

Have ANet ever monetised an event like this? And surely you can see how buying a key for a *chance* at a skin in a chest is, indeed, a form of gambling?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

The whole Hallowen event is based on RNG. Which is more or less like gambling.I have 1000 gems saved up for buying keys to open chests. I will let you know how my gambling goes.

Originally posted by jondifool

i have got 8 keys and have 70+ chests left from drops. It will cost a fortune in gems to use all the chests for me. If drop of chests where more rare , it would be more tempted to actual buy keys . As it is now i feel the amount that drops is so much that i don't want to spend a dime opening chest,

Unless there comes a bulk recipe with chests , there is no reason that they should ever cost more than 3 copper, simply because they are aboundant.

They are abundant because up to now they have had no value. Now they have, thus the abundance will decrease and the value will no doubt rise (I am not sure why people are struggling with this concept).

As a side question though... what, for you, is the most you would spend on keys to get all 6 skins? £5 £10? £50?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by jondifool

They are abundant because up to now they have had no value. Now they have, thus the abundance will decrease and the value will no doubt rise (I am not sure why people are struggling with this concept).

As a side question though... what, for you, is the most you would spend on keys to get all 6 skins? £5 £10? £50?

Maybe that would be a better question in gold since $0 is ok with me. Actually, I really don't care about the skins, but I could drop 10 gold without a problem.

Also, is there an alternative way to recieve these skins besides opening boxes? Like boss drops or something?

Originally posted by colddog04

Also, is there an alternative way to recieve these skins besides opening boxes? Like boss drops or something?

I am not 100% sure Cold, but I do not believe so.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Not at my pc at mo, can anyone confirm if there are any achieves yet for skins?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by zimboy69
    Originally posted by DMKano

Fluff... More and mor fluff, skins. 

I'd give up just about anything for a chance to get some actual better gear than current exotic junk. I don't care what my character looks like, I could look like a wet turd, just want better gear.

I know I am a sucker for gear progression and seeing all those stupid stat numbers get higher . I know it's shallow, but that's what drives my interest in games (in addition to nice graphics, combat etc...)

ah you want a easier game may i suggest WOW  i hear you get  all that there

I don't think he is asking for 'easier'... really no need for the attempt to insult him. He just obviously enjoys a stated progression as a measure of his success in a game, which is valid. I am surprised he chose this game on that basis, but the preference is valid.

I enjoy getting cosmetic items as a reward actually more than getting an extra point here or there, but that's just me.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    no thanks .i will pay a monthly fees rather than buying anything from cash shop . 

I've found you dont have to buy anything from the cash shop that you dont want to . The only thing I would like is extra banking storage which I'm going to get with in game currency exchanged for gems .

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Nah, they got the keys to really wrack up the money spent.
  • Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

I destroy chests as soon as I pick them up.

Just say no to real money gambling boxes.

They need to make money on their game, fine.

Do it without priming the neural pathways of hundreds of thousands of children for a lifelong gambling addiction. It's reprehensible.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

Do it without priming the neural pathways of hundreds of thousands of children for a lifelong gambling addiction. It's reprehensible.

I just throw them up on the broker for 1c.  That way, least it shows how much they're worth to me, rather than just deleting them.

I have to admit though, its partly because the few I have opened never had anything of any value to me.  I might at least hold onto them, if they did.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Have ANet ever monetised an event like this? And surely you can see how buying a key for a *chance* at a skin in a chest is, indeed, a form of gambling?

If the holiday rewards only come from the chests, then I'd be very surprised. They've never monetized an event like this before which is why it seemed a silly assumption to me.  I'd expect either an increase in BL key availability or rewards available through non-monetized channels.

Maybe I'm just giving ArenaNet too much credit on this one, Vesavius.

If the holiday rewards only come from the chests, then I'd be very surprised. They've never monetized an event like this before which is why it seemed a silly assumption to me.  I'd expect either an increase in BL key availability or rewards available through non-monetized channels.

Maybe I'm just giving ArenaNet too much credit on this one, Vesavius.

I get what you are saying. It would be nice if you are right :)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol cyber ofc you do.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

I actually understand your sentiment.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I got around 4 keys( from map completions )
    And around 300 or so boxes.

:( jelly of u all

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**