Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of starting to play this need some stuff answered.

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Hi all, me and a friend are thinking of giving lotro a shot, he';s never played it and about all I have for experence is the beta test years ago. I have some questions now.

1: I know the game has gone free to play.. so this is an expected question: How cash-shop pay2win is the game, in terms of content? Like Dungeons and Dragons Online I bascally quit because unless you buy all these content packs your locked out of about 85% of the game. IMO content should NEVER be locked in a free 2 play mmorpg.

2: What are 2 classes that can be duo'ed together and complement each other well?

3: Whats a good server to start on for 2 new players starting from scratch.

4: Does race matter much? I mostly like races that are well.. pretty I guess, I always play female chars, I don't care what the males look like, as long as the females look good.

Thanks for any and all help, if you wanna add anything other than these 4 questions feel free, if you think its something we should know.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

1) Lotro pretty much uses the same model DDO uses. If you didn't like it in DDO you probably won't in Lotro.

2) Depends on your skill. Me and my friend used to do very crazy things on Loremaster + Minstrel, but you need good coordination. If you are only going to level up questing around and you are not going to do many dungeons, Champion + Hunter can get you to level cap ultra fast. Anyway, the game is very solo oriented nowadays while leveling, so just pick whatever you like, it's going to be damned easy anyway.

3) Haven't been playing in a while. Since it's F2P you can always check population levels in game.

4) Race hardly matters.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Silveria check the link below for estimated server populations in June 2012:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2746910

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    As the others comments, but just one note: You can almost get all the content LOTRO for free through gaining points in-game and using them to open content-packs. However it still use the same '' style '' of DDO, since you won´t be able to get all the content without gaining the points and buying the packs using them!
  • george99george99 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    With DDO and lots of patience you can technically unlock all of their locked content just by playing the game. If you don't like that in F2P you might just want to avoid all of them. Its either going to be Pay2Win or pay to unlock. At least both LotRO and DDO allow you to earn the unlocks.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I tried to go back to this game and ran into a deal breaker for me.  I was unable to do class quests that required help from others, and I couldn't finish most of the big chain quests.  Most of the player base have moved into the expansions or they are at cap, so it's hard to get groups.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    One thing different is you could access most zones..excluding expansions...and grind mobs just not quests. To advance to moria and beyond you will have to buy expansions. A lot of times you can find good sales on combo packs. Christmas is a good time.

P2w items are things like xp boosts, mount speed boosts, trade skill boosts, remove death penalties, stats bonus that you can get grinding too as in original lotr. Mostly stuff to level faster or remove the grind from original.

Gender makes no difference.

Some races are minorly better at classes than others.

Class combo runekeeper and a melee work great. Mini and anything is good. Weakest classes are lore masters at the moment. Guard is great survival low dps so runekeeper is great for extra dps and minor healung. Champ high dps little lower survive. Champ scales poorer at higher levels.
  • EazydzzzEazydzzz Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Siveria

Hi all, me and a friend are thinking of giving lotro a shot, he';s never played it and about all I have for experence is the beta test years ago. I have some questions now.

1: I know the game has gone free to play.. so this is an expected question: How cash-shop pay2win is the game, in terms of content? Like Dungeons and Dragons Online I bascally quit because unless you buy all these content packs your locked out of about 85% of the game. IMO content should NEVER be locked in a free 2 play mmorpg.

2: What are 2 classes that can be duo'ed together and complement each other well?

3: Whats a good server to start on for 2 new players starting from scratch.

4: Does race matter much? I mostly like races that are well.. pretty I guess, I always play female chars, I don't care what the males look like, as long as the females look good.

Thanks for any and all help, if you wanna add anything other than these 4 questions feel free, if you think its something we should know.

1.  You can get all the way to level cap without paying a dime.  Of course some of the content is locked and needs to be purchased in order to play it.  The developer's need to feed their families ect. 

2.  Anything with a minstrel.

3. Brandywine last time I played.

4.  Race doesn't really matter.  The prettiest race is dwarves by far.  Lotro dwarves are probably the sexiest race in any game ever.  just thinking about them gives me a raging boner. 

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

1. As other have said, if you didn't like the DDO model, you might not like this one either.  It's much easier to earn store credit in-game in LOTRO than in DDO though.  Check the website below.  It shows some really great tips on how to play the game completely free and the best methods to unlocks things for free or with minimal investment.  Check the Turbine point sections.

http://lotro.mmorsel.com/

2. Any duo will work great.  Most content can be soloed easily.  But if you want to make it easier, have one person pick a healing class (minstrel, rune-keeper, lore-master (to a leser extent)).

3.  I'm on Landroval, decent population there.  It's an RP server.  Brandywine is also good I hear.

4. Race doesn't matter.  The bonuses each provide are minimal.  Pick whatever you perfer.