Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final verdict and going back to Tera Online

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Made a blog entry about my final verdict of GW 2 and moving on.

An excerpt: 

"So in hindsight I can say that GW 2 was well worth the box price but it is not like an MMORPG of the past, like Asheron's Call and EvertQuest, which would hook you for months, even years. Ultimately GW 2 (and most ThemeParks) is like the fast food equivalent of MMORPGs, accessible and really nice for a short while but quickly gets boring.

Also, not long ago, they announced the next "content patch" for Guild Wars and it was mostly about structured PvP, which is GW 2's equivalent of instanced PvP scenarios/battlegrounds and it was the least appealing aspect in the game for me. More over it seemed to be done in a way for you to buy tickets from their cash shop which is pretty telling that their first content patch was about getting people going to the cash shop.

Kind of expected for a game which does not have a sub. fee but which rather relies on box sales and the cash shop and I predict, that once the box sales start to dwindle, they will be focusing on adding content based on you as a player going to their cash shop. That probably being the case I wont be doing back to the game until the next expansion or if they add some purpose and meaning to the Zerg fest which is currently the very dissapointing WvW PvP."

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    You earn tickets by winning tournaments. I have well over 100 of them.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by colddog04
    You earn tickets by winning tournaments. I have well over 100 of them.

Yes, most of which is in the cash shop is in the game as well, but that wont stop some people from buying them in the cash shop which I believe is the main driving force for this game now.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Have fun going back to Tera?  I couldn't go back to that game, for me it would be like going backwards.  If it works for you, ore power to you!  Have fun and like many others I hope a game comes along that can bring mack that magic we all want to feel.

Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Have fun going back to Tera?  I couldn't go back to that game, for me it would be like going backwards.  If it works for you, ore power to you!  Have fun and like many others I hope a game comes along that can bring mack that magic we all want to feel.

Yeah it is just temporary to fool around with the combat system. I am waiting for Darkfall: Unholy Wars to be released.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Yamota

Yeah it is just temporary to fool around with the combat system. I am waiting for Darkfall: Unholy Wars to be released.

You are still going back wards. Only way forward is GW2.

There can only be ONE!!!!!!

Originally posted by halflife25

You are still going back wards. Only way forward is GW2.

There can only be ONE!!!!!!

Well to be honest, I kind of feeling that the MMORPG genre is in such a state that going back is the best direction. GW 2 was a fun novelty but ultimately built on the same old ThemePark foundation and I really want an MMORPG which are like the old virtual world simulations like UO, SWG and Asheron's Call.

Still waiting for such game being released, been so long now. So for now us sandboxers have to go to the indy games to get our fix but their products are cheap image

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I've been debating on picking up a month or so of Tera.  Even though I found the story and quests drab to say the least, I liked the combat and the limited open world PVP.

Just play EVE. It's awesome.

Tried it on and off for a long while but every time the UI and combat puts me of... and I hate scammers which seems to run rampant in that game.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I tried it.  It's not my cup of tea.

Tried it on and off for a long while but every time the UI and combat puts me of... and I hate scammers which seems to run rampant in that game.

I'm just saying... if you find GW2 boring, TERA is going to put you to sleep as well. I mean, for a sandbox lover, TERA would be the last place I would go. It might have the most boring and linear leveling experience I have ever had the joy of experiencing ever. The combat locks you in place. There is an extremely limited amount of skills per class. Some of them stop recieving new skills as early as level 36.

Do something besides TERA IMO.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Once again I will say I was in the same boat as you and many others. I was on the verge of quitting, but then I found an awesome guild an the game just lit up for me. Now it is one of my favorite games of all time. Being in a good and well structured guild makes WvWvW  some of the best PvP I have ever been a part of.
  • KenrichKenrich Member UncommonPosts: 127

No thanks 6 plus years was enough for me.image

o.O

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Once again I will say I was in the same boat as you and many others. I was on the verge of quitting, but then I found an awesome guild an the game just lit up for me. Now it is one of my favorite games of all time. Being in a good and well structured guild makes WvWvW  some of the best PvP I have ever been a part of.

Tried that actually but everytime I joined a guild it kind of felt pointless. Maybe it was the guilds I joined but I hard a time getting people together to do some dungeons or PvP, despite me being level 80 in exotic gear.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Tried that actually but everytime I joined a guild it kind of felt pointless. Maybe it was the guilds I joined but I hard a time getting people together to do some dungeons or PvP, despite me being level 80 in exotic gear.

makes sense then almost every themepark I have ever played gets old and boring without a good guild.. really can't see how you could enjoy one for more than a few months without a good guild. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SuntasticSuntastic Member Posts: 9

An excerpt: 

"So in hindsight I can say that GW 2 was well worth the box price but it is not like an MMORPG of the past, like Asheron's Call and EvertQuest, which would hook you for months, even years. Ultimately GW 2 (and most ThemeParks) is like the fast food equivalent of MMORPGs, accessible and really nice for a short while but quickly gets boring.

Also, not long ago, they announced the next "content patch" for Guild Wars and it was mostly about structured PvP, which is GW 2's equivalent of instanced PvP scenarios/battlegrounds and it was the least appealing aspect in the game for me. More over it seemed to be done in a way for you to buy tickets from their cash shop which is pretty telling that their first content patch was about getting people going to the cash shop.

Kind of expected for a game which does not have a sub. fee but which rather relies on box sales and the cash shop and I predict, that once the box sales start to dwindle, they will be focusing on adding content based on you as a player going to their cash shop. That probably being the case I wont be doing back to the game until the next expansion or if they add some purpose and meaning to the Zerg fest which is currently the very dissapointing WvW PvP."

Typical sandbox elitist...bash all themeparks and compares them to some old sandbox type game that in their minds was the best ever. Even though those games had super small sub numbers.

It doesn't matter to these guys because even though  they bash all themepark games..they only play themepark games and never support sandbox games.

Here's a tip sandbox elitist..next time you say you are going to stop playing a themepark game because it's the "fast food equivalent of MMORPGs", throwout that you are going to play a sandbox game not another themepark. Honestly, your whole point was destroyed by you in the title of this thread.

You have a 0 cred rating...

Originally posted by Suntastic

An excerpt: 

Typical sandbox elitist...bash all themeparks and compares them to some old sandbox type game that in their minds was the best ever. Even though those games had super small sub numbers.

It doesn't matter to these guys because even though  they bash all themepark games..they only play themepark games and never support sandbox games.

Here's a tip sandbox elitist..next time you say you are going to stop playing a themepark game because it's the "fast food equivalent of MMORPGs", throwout that you are going to play a sandbox game not another themepark. Honestly, your whole point was destroyed by you in the title of this thread.

First of all old sandbox games did not have super small sub. numbers as you are comparing those times with now. During their peak, SWG, AC, UO had 150k-300k subs and that was really good for that era.

And I dont see where I did bashing of the game, I said it was fun for a while but lacks longetivity. If that is bashing in your book then you are the one with the problem.

Finally, I never said ThemeParks can be no fun. They can, but they lack the longetivity of sandbox games. So I will be playing Tera Online for a month fun or so then move on. Dont see the issue with that as that is how those games seem to be designed anyway.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It was awesome the first few years, but it hasn't aged well.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Suntastic

An excerpt: 

First of all old sandbox games did not have super small sub. numbers as you are comparing those times with now. During their peak, SWG, AC, UO had 150k-300k subs and that was really good for that era.

And I dont see where I did bashing of the game, I said it was fun for a while but lacks longetivity. If that is bashing in your book then you are the one with the problem.

Finally, I never said ThemeParks can be no fun. They can, but they lack the longetivity of sandbox games. So I will be playing Tera Online for a month fun or so then move on. Dont see the issue with that as that is how those games seem to be designed anyway.

yea dont listen to gthat guy, obviously a complete retard,

300k was a huge number back then, only after TBC of WoW did numbers jump,

mainly because of casuals getting in the genre.

which casuals are what ruined the genre, and put MMOs in the direction they are today.

true story

• lukhipolitolukhipolito Member Posts: 1

I personally don't say themeparks or sandboxes are better. I mean they all have their time, in a seperate way.

But what i really don't like in this new era of MMO's is that most of them changed a lot the gameplay, not looking more like a typical MMO. There were a lot of them that made sucess, but some just fall on desaproval because the game itself started to become a "bot-controlled" or moved by cash itens, or just the developpers get tired of creating new cool events or important things and start making non-sense appelative uploads. What makes the classical MMO's become boring.

This new era  is indeed  necessary, but, for inovations, new way of questing, this genious instant event system, etc. But still, there are some changes that just don't need to be changed, i mean, the portals everywhere, the way the game turned out to be an action RPG online instead of the RPG itself, the unique class system.

I'm not saying isn't nice getting fast to where you want, but, you still get lost with the portals, there should be another way of travelling dispite walking by foot (that's very boring too) or justspawning where you have too. There should be a medium beetween them.

And i'm not saying that actions RPG aren't nice too, because there are a lot of increadible ones. I just want to play again one RPG that i have to click arround to move, attack, act, use hotkeys to use itens, skills, spells and watch the field from above. But again, looks like all of the new-era MMO's just got the same boring gameplay.

I don't want you to get me wrong,  just my opinion

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133
    They are re-releasing Baldur's Gate. You should try that.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I think it's great that games like Tera still have an audience.  I enjoyed it for a bit, and wouldn't want to see it go under.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by aphydork
    They are re-releasing Baldur's Gate. You should try that.

And Dishonored just got released which has gotten great reviews.  Your point?

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    I really like the combat in TERA, too bad the combat alone couldnt carry the game for more than 2 weeks for me. It was really fun to kill BAMS for a while, but when the time came to do something else, the game ended :/
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    I wish you all the best.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.