Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RoR is out and looking good

While mmorpg is still trying to jam GW2 down everyone throat Lotro next expansion is out and its looking like a good one. Here are a few features I have been enjoying.

1.The music in Rohan is amazing one of the best in any Mmo ive played.

2. The story continues

3. Mounted combat is new and pretty fun. Takes a little to get used to but once you get the hang of it, its fun.

4. I love the new combat tagging system no more fighting over mobs

5. Rohan looks great.

Their are a few bugs but what mmo expansion does not have them. My kinmates and I are having a great time. Just wanted to throw out a little headup to people since "the staff" here is busy.

Comments

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

This is great to hear! I love hearing about LOTRO, now that i've given up on WoW its my MMO that i go back to, although im casually playing GW2 at the moment also, it is satisfying to hear this game is still going strong, i look forward to the expansions a lot as they constantly expand on middle earth.

I had been concerned this expansion was not doing well as i hear virtually nothing about it on here but its good to know you're enjoying it, i am tempted to make a loremaster and go through the game myself :)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    I like lotro alot, it imo is the only MMO that still captures the RPG bit of an MMO, many mmo devs have forgotten that part.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Music is disappointing in my opinion, as with Isengard, however the Rohan expansion is great. Mount combat is fantastic, landscape and stories are superb. This is incomparably better expansion than Isengard or Mirkwood.

REALITY CHECK

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Have to say i have played this game since release and over the last few years i have been bitterly dissapointed in lotro..until now..rohan looks amazing.the sheer scale of it beggars belief.they have made some great improvements as well ,with mounted combat which helps greatly if your in a rush to do quests although it takes a bit of getting used to.quests have been improved in that you go to a location with 1 quest to do and all of a sudden you are hit with another 3 or 4 and once completed the is no need to ride back,you auto-complete there and then.this was turbines last chance where i was concerned with this game and imo they have came up trumps.yes the combat is dated but when all said and done i have spent the last 2 evenings banging in 8hrs each night,and tonight will be no different.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I tried to go back to LotRO recently and even though the game still looks great, the characters animations and movement look so ropey now. hopefully the dev team will improve this in time but I am not going to hold my breath on it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

What is the level where one can actually enter Rohan?

I think my character is 68.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Sovrath

lvl 72-75 .something like that..if you are 68 i would finish off where you are first before entering,saves you missing some good content.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I don't think you're artificially blocked.  You can even do the Epic by using a rope outside the gate to Lothlorien to access Galadriel.

Mob-wise, though, they start at about 76th level.

I haven't been too big on mounted combat in the open world, so far; it seems like you just keep circling and firing, often aggroing a half dozen other mobs nearby.  But there's an instance called "the riders four" where you go after mobs on horses, and THAT is awesome.  I was actually bummed when it ended.  They should do some skirmishes like this.

I don't know how fast the horses go comparatively to standard mounts, but I'm specced for speed (16 m/s, whatever that means), and it looks and feels like real horse speed at a full run.  The big negative is that it feels like the server is having trouble keeping up.  I don't rubber band, but it feels like the server is pulling me back.

The rest; pretty cool so far.  I'm through the east wall and a good chunk of the way through the norcrofts.  Anybody annoyed with raid gear being obsolete the moment they step in shouldn't be; almost all my gear was crafted 75 crits, and I didn't start to see stuff that even competed til' about level 78.  I still have most of my original gear at 79th level. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    While mmorpg is still trying to jam GW2 down everyone throat Lotro next expansion is out and its looking like a good one. Here are a few features I have been enjoying. 1.The music in Rohan is amazing one of the best in any Mmo ive played. 2. The story continues 3. Mounted combat is new and pretty fun. Takes a little to get used to but once you get the hang of it, its fun. 4. I love the new combat tagging system no more fighting over mobs 5. Rohan looks great. Their are a few bugs but what mmo expansion does not have them. My kinmates and I are having a great time. Just wanted to throw out a little headup to people since "the staff" here is busy.

I like GW2, actually.  But yeah, I'm playing Rohan, and will go back to GW2, later.

1.  I DO like the redone login music, as well as Rohan's music.  The same piece, sure, but rearranged and much more dynamic.  The recording quality even seems much better.

And I like that some of the "townsfolky" music has some "out-of-tuniness/imperfect timing" to some of the instruments and performances.  It feels more like "decent but imperfect players playing on old instruments" like you would hear in middle earth.  Something tells me 13 dwarves all playing instruments and singing would sound less than perfect.  There's an authenticity to it.

2.  And it's been a good story, so far.  It's really nice to finally get back to the fellowship.

3.  I already yakked about that, above.

4.  Amen!  And instant/remote looting!  A must for mounted combat, but also very helpful for ranged classes to not have to go running down the body.  Devs, PLEASE put this into the rest of the game...

5.  Definitely looks good, but definitely uses way more memory on my machine.  Good thing I have plenty to spare.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

You could ride through and tag the stables for later at any level. If you stopped playing at 68 then you probably haven't played Great River area since that came out. That starts at 70, so personally i'd go there at 68 and then into Rohan at 75 if not before.

I've got a 58th alt, i'll be doing Lorien ---> Mirkwood ---> Great River ---> Rohan; since I don't fancy Enedwaith and Dunland again.

One of the great things about lotro now is there are plenty of options zone-wise.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I agree with you OP, 100%.  I'm having a blast in Rohan.  The music is fantastic.  Warsteed combat is really fun.  Get that mount leveled up and you can turn and move pretty fast.  Just remember to switch back to the old standby mounts in towns for better mobility. 

If anything, I'm wishing the rest of the game was overhauled this way with how quests are given, the open tapping, the auto loot at any distance and the music in certain lower level areas, especially Isengard.

I'm level 82 now and I can't wait to start rebuilding Hytbold and getting my solo raid gear on MY time.  ;D  So fun.

The only problem i'm having at the minute is that I got to 75 before I started Great River, and now i've gone back and completed Great River i'm now 79 before going in to Rohan. I wanted to do all of Great River for kindred with Riders of Stangard but now i'm thinking it's left me overpowered for Rohan. Always found this about lotro, there is so much content it pays to pick and choose quests and zones these days.

I'll make sure my next character is only 70 when starting Great River.

Originally posted by elocke

I agree with you OP, 100%.  I'm having a blast in Rohan.  The music is fantastic.  Warsteed combat is really fun.  Get that mount leveled up and you can turn and move pretty fast.  Just remember to switch back to the old standby mounts in towns for better mobility. 

If anything, I'm wishing the rest of the game was overhauled this way with how quests are given, the open tapping, the auto loot at any distance and the music in certain lower level areas, especially Isengard.

I'm level 82 now and I can't wait to start rebuilding Hytbold and getting my solo raid gear on MY time.  ;D  So fun.

I agree, I think RoR will set the standard now for the whole game. Some of the old maps have been redrawn even before RoR and some mob models are very different from 5 years ago. They probably won't go back and do a total overhaul but RoR will be a good influence when they do rework old zones, which they already do on a regular basis (the starter quests are very different now).

One thing I wish they'd do is get rid of teleporting to stone circles when defeated. Make no sense game-wise since it's 'defeat' and not 'death' in lotro. It would make sense to bring in the creeping away and revive idea they had in SWtoR. That made sense.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    I like lotro alot, it imo is the only MMO that still captures the RPG bit of an MMO, many mmo devs have forgotten that part.

I would agree. I never really stopped to think why I keep going back to this game for my PvE fix I just do but yes, it has a unique play value that still feels like play and not just another grinder.