Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well I think I'm done

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
Well I have to admit the initial spell of GW2 was pretty strong. More so than any MMO I have ever played. Alas... I logged in today after not playing for a couple weeks. I admit to being lured away by Torchlight 2, Dishonored, Borderlands 2 and the recent Skyrim patch/DLC. Yes I know they are not mmos. Anyway so I logged in and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I am done. Not much else to say. Got a Necro up to level 45 with articifer up to 225 but I just don't have it in me to take it any further. With 16% world completion there is absolutely no way I will ever find the motivation to continue. I remember swearing off themeparks after SWTOR. Well I'm going to try and swear them off again. We'll see. Anyway, back to the trusty single player/coop PC games. 

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Well, see ya. Always remember that the game will still be there if you ever want to play again, and you won't have to pay a subscription to get back in.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Nothing bad to say about the game. GW2 is a shining example for themepark mmos done well. I am just completely burned out on the genre I think. 
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    I'd wait a couple more days for the Halloween event at least... but hell, you can still log in and check it out, it's not like you have to fork out $15 to do so ;-)
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

So this is what it has come down to "well the game will be waiting for you if you decide to come back because its free ya know"?

You can say that to about 90% of the games out on the market now.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    My sub games wait for me as well.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by stayontarget

And how many B2P MMOs are worth playing besides GW2?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

So this is what it has come down to "well the game will be waiting for you if you decide to come back because its free ya know"?

What do you mean "this is what it has come down to"?

I'm just repeating what ArenaNet have said before. If you want to stop playing GW2 then go ahead, you can always come back. If said person truly doesn't like GW2 then they can just stop playing, no game is going to appeal to everybody.

Originally posted by nsignific

Only if you're willing to cough up more money. Something you don't have to do if you decide to take a break from GW2.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Torgrim

There are no other B2P MMOS. There is GW but it is CORPG. 

Originally posted by romanator0

Only if you're willing to cough up more money. Something you don't have to do if you decide to take a break from GW2.

Not all of us make such a big deal about 15 bucks a month you know? so yes he is right. His P2P MMOS are also always there since he is 'willing' to pay sub for it. Most of the MMOS i play are on recurring sub since 15 bucks for whole month of entertainment is as cheap as it gets.

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

If you take a break from something, you stop paying.

Anyway, $12-15 a month is nothing compared to the costs of other forms of entertainment. It shouldn't be an excuse or an advertised feature that you don't have to pay to try something again to see if they fixed the problems you had with it previously.

Originally posted by aphydork

Anyway, $12-15 a month is nothing compared to the costs of other forms of entertainment. It shouldn't be an excuse or an advertised feature that you don't have to pay to try something again to see if they fixed the problems you had with it previously.

Agree..no other medium of entertainment for entire month can get this cheaper. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by halflife25

Except GW2?

Originally posted by colddog04

Except GW2?

I am talking about P2P models.

Not all of us make such a big deal about 15 bucks a month you know? so yes he is right. His P2P MMOS are also always there since he is 'willing' to pay sub for it. Most of the MMOS i play are on recurring sub since 15 bucks for whole month of entertainment is as cheap as it gets.

Doesn't matter if it's $5 or $15, it's still a gateway that does prevent people from returning to MMOs. It's the principle not the price.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

As far as I know theres only two buy to play mmos on the market at the moment . The War Z and GW2 .

They are good value when they are good games but I think you'll agree many of them arn't worth that subscription price .

Doesn't matter if it's $5 or $15, it's still a gateway that does prevent people from returning to MMOs. It's the principle not the price.

If you are not willing to pay 15 bucks a month then yes it is gate way. I never though of it this way. I think it is matter of prespective.  Such a nominal fee was nevera issue for me and certainly not the guy you quoted.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by roo67

As far as I know theres only two buy to play mmos on the market at the moment . The War Z and GW2 .

The one I qouated  sead it was as many as 90% of the games out there, I was interrested in hearing from him again.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

Yes, but this isn't a solution to any underlying solutions or even a nice bonus. Many people are willing to pay a small sum per month for a good MMO, and even with Guild Wars 2 being free, the OP as well as others do not find it worth logging into.

This isn't to say Guild Wars 2 is bad. It just doesn't have enough variety to keep the majority logging in. I say majority from experience with my guilds and friends' list. Your own mileage may vary. 

I don't mean to sound overly negative, but this, "Well, at least you don't have to pay," argument is very... misguided.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

With all due respect to all parts and opinions, the "you can always come back whenever you want since there is no sub" does not speak any good of the game. You can say the same of Tetris, Pacman or Pong. Quoting someone else from another forum:

Person 1: I got bored of Pong online. Man it gets old fast and has no endgame. If not because it has a chatbox I wouldn't even know that it's a mmo.

Person 2: Well good luck, and remember that you can always try at again in future, since the game has no sub.

What matters to people is if the game is fun for them. If it isn't, they don't care whether they'll have to pay sub or not, because they didn't like it. Chances are that the next time they'll bother to try the game they will have to pay for it, because it'll be when next expansion is released. Because GW2 will get more cash from you when they release expansions.

Do not use the "you don't have to pay for it if you want to return in future" as if it was any incredibly possitive feature of the game. The fact that people announce that they're quitting the game even though they already paid for the box and it has no sub is bad enough. It's like going to the restaurant, paying for the meal and midway through eating it you stand up and leave because it was a bad meal.

When you stop playing a game with a post like the OP means he's not having fun and he won't be playing it because it wasn't good enough for him, and whether is free to try it again or not at that point is rather irrelevant. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Yes, but this isn't a solution to any underlying solutions or even a nice bonus. Many people are willing to pay a small sum per month for a good MMO, and even with Guild Wars 2 being free, the OP as well as others do not find it worth logging into.

This isn't to say Guild Wars 2 is bad. It just doesn't have enough variety to keep the majority logging in. I say majority from experience with my guilds and friends' list. Your own mileage may vary. 

I don't mean to sound overly negative, but this, "Well, at least you don't have to pay," argument is very... misguided.

Personally I find it a great casual game that I  play maybe an hour or so a day . Given its the same price as a single player game I'm certainly getting my moneys worth out of GW2 . When I get bored I'll simply take a break and come back to it when theres new content and/or events happening . I hope theres more buy to play titles in future but I don't think any of them are likly to have the immersive experiance some subscription based games have ( although those sadly are few and far between nowdays )

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

Hah, don't want to bash or anything...but I honestly don't understand these "I'm not playing this game anymore" threads.

Alright, you're done...why make a topic about it?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Not too many (considering B2P isn't to common) though there are many F2P out there that are worth playing besides GW2, no initial cost needed as well. But heck, since you got the game its basically justl ike a F2P you gave some cash to. 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I really don't get it what's with those "I'm leaving" and "I'm playing" threads...

Why do people have this urge to post something like that? Don't you have a gamer friend who you can share this news with and he actually might care?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Not too many (considering B2P isn't to common) though there are many F2P out there that are worth playing besides GW2, no initial cost needed as well. But heck, since you got the game its basically justl ike a F2P you gave some cash to. 

But you have to pay up to download the client and create account. Thus you can not say "It's just like F2P after you payed the box" because it's not. You just payed the box, which is in most cases 60$ more than you would spend in any F2P game.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------