Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a good Kung-Fu MMO

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'm looking foward to Age of Wushu.  While waiting for it to release, I'm curious as to what other good Kung-Fu MMO's are out there.  I've dabbled a bit with Loong and The Chosen.  I'm curious as to what anyone else might be playing and if there are any suggestions.

Thanks!

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• SpennetSpennet Member Posts: 25
    I believe the latest expansion to World of Warcraft had something to do with Kung-Fu.
  • PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46

C9 is an action mmo that takes elements from games like Shenmue and Devil May Cry and adds social interaction, instance dungeons and crafting.  Frankly, its not a grinder style persistent world, but its super addicting and will have you smiling from the very first mission.

http://c9.webzen.com/main

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta Online, while obviously not a Kung-Fu setting (it's in space), has a very Kung-Fu feel to its combat, particularly with its twitch-based mechanics grounded in Newtonian physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddd-Tn1goS4

I've likened the culture surrounding the PvP in that game to the following Street Fighter has.  Certain players are known for having certain 'styles', rivalries are common, and understanding fundamentals of combat is more important that having lightning fast reflexes to play competitively.  VO is an MMORPG, so the analogy falls apart there, however based on the etiquette and competition found among higher tiers it's easy to draw parellels between VO and a Kung-Fu game in spirit.  Even the backstory talks about one race translating skills in martial arts to skills in piloting a spacecraft.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133
    I think Blade & Soul is coming out soon.
  • EathanskiesEathanskies Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Vendetta Online, while obviously not a Kung-Fu setting (it's in space), has a very Kung-Fu feel to its combat, particularly with its twitch-based mechanics grounded in Newtonian physics.

I've likened the culture surrounding the PvP in that game to the following Street Fighter has.  Certain players are known for having certain 'styles', rivalries are common, and understanding fundamentals of combat is more important that having lightning fast reflexes to play competitively.  VO is an MMORPG, so the analogy falls apart there, however based on the etiquette and competition found among higher tiers it's easy to draw parellels between VO and a Kung-Fu game in spirit.  Even the backstory talks about one race translating skills in martial arts to skills in piloting a spacecraft.

This is akin to someone asking for recommendations on a rom-com and pointing them towards The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    I can second the 9 Dragons recommendations. Fun and definitely the right atmosphere.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Eathanskies
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

This is akin to someone asking for recommendations on a rom-com and pointing them towards The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

You sir, haven't a clue what you are talking about.  Thanks for the troll, though.  Actually, no-thanks.  I'll just leave you with this: don't judge a book by its cover.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance