Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So who's coming back?

Comments

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

I want to finish my story quests, but I don't know if they changed enough to keep me interested. SWTOR is one of the first MMOs (not counting Korean grinds) where I did not reach max level to get, what I see as, "my money's worth."

I don't exactly know why. I usually can point to a reason, but I guess it just wasn't for me.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I'll return to try it out.  If leveling is slower in the F2P version then I'll probably bail for good.  Otherwise, I'd like to level some alts.

I can't imagine paying unless the game adds amazing multiplayer space combat.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

if i came back i would sub, i absolutely hate these games that go F2P and restrict part of the game.

i guess the option to play for free is better than nothing for some people but it isn't for me.

i don't want to be gimped or limit my choices, if i am going to play a game i want to play the game, not a glorified trial.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Tayah

Originally posted by Istavaan Not even if you paid me.

^This^

^This^This^  It's close to the worst MMO I've ever played and calling it a mmo is a huge stretch..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by baphamet

if i came back i would sub, i absolutely hate these games that go F2P and restrict part of the game.

i guess the option to play for free is better than nothing for some people but it isn't for me.

i don't want to be gimped or limit my choices, if i am going to play a game i want to play the game, not a glorified trial.

So they should let you play 100% free and not make any money?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I just came back.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by baphamet

So they should let you play 100% free and not make any money?

I think Baphamet means he'd rather sub if he plays at all rather than deal with limitations of the freemium system. I'm the same way, if I'm interested in a game I'll try the free option only enough to see if it's worth a sub. I can't devote time to a game as a freemium player.

I would definitely pay for $40-50 again if they made a single-player KOTOR 3 from the SWTOR materials.

Can that be an option?

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by grimal

My sub has not technically run out yet, so I can honestly say I never really left.

I am interested to know who is coming back when it does go F2P next month.  I am currently playing GW2 but plan to play TOR again with the incoming change.

curious what type of game you consider swtor.. i couldn't imagine you consider it a mmorpg... played like a co-op srpg to me when I played personally

as for the OP if they add actual space combat i'd consider it but till then probably not.

I am curious why you feel that way. I also feel the same way about this game as well as GW2. I have given my reasons on GW2 and SWTOR. I am curious what your reasons are.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

My sub has not technically run out yet, so I can honestly say I never really left.

I am interested to know who is coming back when it does go F2P next month.  I am currently playing GW2 but plan to play TOR again with the incoming change.

curious what type of game you consider swtor.. i couldn't imagine you consider it a mmorpg... played like a co-op srpg to me when I played personally

as for the OP if they add actual space combat i'd consider it but till then probably not.

I am curious why you feel that way. I also feel the same way about this game as well as GW2. I have given my reasons on GW2 and SWTOR. I am curious what your reasons are.

for swtor it was many reasons but here are my tops ones.

1. Center focus of the game imho is the srpg story

2. Most Planets felt very linear and confined

3. Companion system for everybody

4. Gated off areas for story quests

5. By the time I hit Balmorra i frequenty had less than 10 people on the entire planet.

6. Only place I saw a lot of people was fleet giving it more of a lobby game feel.

again obviously all my opinion and experience but this was from launch to about 3 weeks in

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

If you want the best experience, you really need to be with the competitive leveling curve when a game launches. After a month, interest drops dramatically, and you start seeing sparse areas.

I honestly believe that will be the case for all but the absolute best games. GW2 is a relatively beloved favorite, and even then... SWTOR as well.

Enjoy the first week of F2P SWTOR. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest the first week, at least.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

You need another option. 

Who will be cancelling their sub and only playing the free game to finish the stories?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Bowser82Bowser82 Member Posts: 18

Started playing again last week, and seems to be my mmo till ESO, EQnext orso.

I was looking for a mmo to play since Gw2 didn't keep me enthralled and this fit the bill quite nicely.

"You don't have much choice when trouble's riding your back so tight it makes the leather squeak. Sometimes you outsmart it, sometimes you outfight it, and sometimes you just have to outrun it... full throttle."

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    only if they NGED .
  • goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Plan on returning and enjoying the great storylines and levelling experience SWtOR has to offer.

The rest of the game unfortunately fell short, but I greatly enjoyed the first few months I played.

I'll see if I can organise a little group from this site to level up a bunch of new characters as soon as the date is announced.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by moguy2
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by moguy2

Im just guessing that the OP is just looking to see how many people are going to be coming back and if he should re sub. It is a barren game, in a barren state. F2P will boost numbers for a month and then drop back down again.

Go ahead bro, resub. You dont need to make a whole thread to make that decision.

Did your read OP's post? They're currently playing.

Did you read it? Let me quote.. " My sub has not TECHNICALLY RAN OUT YET "  What does that mean to you?? It means he cancelled but can still play. 

People need validation. As does the OP. He wants to make sure his x amount of dollars is not going to waste. Read through the lines. I deal with people on a daily basis that need ME to make their decisions for them. This is another one.

You guys are reallly digging here.

I do consider it an MMORPG.

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129
    still playing and having a blast.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I picked  option 3.

I have no plans to play, but I might. I never thought it was a bad game, played for a few months as a co op with a buddy of mine. I may see if a friend or two wants to hop on and play again some since its free. Depends on how much of a cash grab they make the " F2P" portion.

Usually its cheaper to pay a sub than these so called " F2P' conversions. But I will admit I have not followed ToRs F2P plans. So I might give it a go, we wil see.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    choice number 2 
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

interesting considering this is what you have to say about gw2 not being a mmorpg 

" All your dialogue is pretty much scripted already with little input aside from the occasional faction or strategy choice (from what I have seen).  What if I don't like those choices my character said?  Too bad.  What if I don't like the skills that have been assigned to me?  Too bad. See, there is very little choice in what you can do to customize your character.

This is all fine and dandy but there are a lot of people who are saying they feel this same detachment from the game and their character.  I am not alone.  I think this is one of the big reasons why.  Open your eyes a little.  I know you have invested almost five thousand posts into this game, but maybe, just maybe others see it different."

swtor you are given 3 dialouge options all of which have pre-determined outcomes and many which don't even match what you actually picked. You have no choice in where and when you go to places as you follow your personal story because your choices do not change this.. just odd because while I didn't find the stories in swtor bad i felt more detached in this instance from my character than say gw2. Interesting standard you have there

Forgot to mention the talent tree/skill system in swtor is much more restrictive than the trait system of gw2 for example one IA only has a couple playstyles they can play.. in gw2 each class has a ton of playstyles depending on trait setup, utility skills setup, gear loadout, rune/sigil setup

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

interesting considering this is what you have to say about gw2 not being a mmorpg 

" All your dialogue is pretty much scripted already with little input aside from the occasional faction or strategy choice (from what I have seen).  What if I don't like those choices my character said?  Too bad.  What if I don't like the skills that have been assigned to me?  Too bad. See, there is very little choice in what you can do to customize your character.

This is all fine and dandy but there are a lot of people who are saying they feel this same detachment from the game and their character.  I am not alone.  I think this is one of the big reasons why.  Open your eyes a little.  I know you have invested almost five thousand posts into this game, but maybe, just maybe others see it different."

swtor you are given 3 dialouge options all of which have pre-determined outcomes and many which don't even match what you actually picked. You have no choice in where and when you go to places as you follow your personal story because your choices do not change this.. just odd because while I didn't find the stories in swtor bad i felt more detached in this instance from my character than say gw2. Interesting standard you have there

I don't like stories in my MMO's. I would much rather prefer a living breathing world, but to me, the stories in SWTOR were well written and I thought that they gave you as much of a choice as possibe within the confines of that game. The GW2 stories on the other hand were hit and miss and the voice acting was subpar. I wouldn't expect too much liberty as they are trying to tell a story and you can only do so much. SWTOR was really not a good MMO, but Bioware did tell a decent story.... it is what they do best after all.

• ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    I chose option #1, I have been playing since launch and still play.  Took a short break to beat GW2.  I really need a futuristic sci-fi MMO to keep me satisfied, I prefer theme park style games.  I have been playing the olde timey MMO's for too long and this is just what I was looking for in a MMORPG.  I also love PVP, and this game really delivers on that front for me.  I play on the Prophecy of the Five open PVP server, and it is a fantastic experience.  Never thought I would like PVP servers till I played the SWTOR version and have been having a blast, especially since the High Population server upgrades, I find people to fight every where now.  I really like how they over lap the quests in a lot of areas so you can find people in your level range for exciting fights.  I am looking forward to the re-worked Ilum that is expected to come out in January as I feel that area of the game needed more polish.

Forgot to mention the talent tree/skill system in swtor is much more restrictive than the trait system of gw2 for example one IA only has a couple playstyles they can play.. in gw2 each class has a ton of playstyles depending on trait setup, utility skills setup, gear loadout, rune/sigil setup

It's a limited linear themepark, but I do find it still containing enough RPG elements to consider it as such.

A lot of people have criticisms that the game feels too much like an SRPG and I can understand those complaints.  This particular game requires a rather large population to keep that MMO feel, otherwise it can seem lonely at times.

Why are you doing a SWTOR vs. GW2 debate here?  I am just asking who is coming back.  If you want that kind of thread, make one (although it might be against the rules of conduct as it will just encourage flaming).

Edit: I already stated in numerous threads I think GW2 is a great game.  I enjoy it.  I still play it.  Can't I enjoy it as is?  Or is that not enough?  Must I be utterly in-love with it and abandon all other MMOs to satisfy some here?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Played SWTOR from early access and I will continue to play for a long time. For me $12.99 a month is a very low price for what I get every day from this game. I am playing every day for few hours and I am never bored. I live lives of my characters though. I am one with them LOL. This game is amazing in this aspect . Actually, it is amazing how it affected my creativity, as I started even to write some fan fiction LOL, I even posted one of my stories on fan fiction forum. English is my second language so it made me work double hard image LOL. In other words... this game gave me more then just play time, it actually makes me better in many other ways... Kudos for Bioware writers image.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E