Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can SWTOR make a comeback with F2P?

PaddyspubPaddyspub mcpherson, KSPosts: 104Member

...........assuming EAware handles F2P route with some smarts and common sense.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb brush prairie, WAPosts: 76Member Uncommon
    The Dark Side clouds all.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,019Member Uncommon
    with the current f2p structure they have set up, folks might try it but they are not going to stick around. Honestly they not fixed anything that chased most of their subscribers off.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Centreville, VAPosts: 1,690Member Uncommon

Only time can tell...

I am continuing to sub as long as the game exists image, 12.99 a month is a very low price for entertaining I get.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1

• RyowulfRyowulf Greensburg, PAPosts: 668Member Uncommon

This isn't meant to make Tor a longterm viable game.  Once it goes ftp the devs will be able to say to their investors/stockholders/etc, "Look at the number of players we have."

Its the same shell game they have been doing all along, but at least people will get to do class stories.

• goblagobla somewherePosts: 1,411Member

I think it'll depend highly on what you'll consider a success.

I can easily see it becoming a go-to game for people to play with friends in-between more serious games. The storylines and other features provide one of the best, if not the best, levelling experience I've ever seen in a MMO.

I can not see it becoming a serious hardcore MMO with anything more than very small raiding and PvP communities.

My guess will be that it'll turn into a game where the starter zones are more heavily populated than the market hubs. A game where people level up with friends, experience the best parts the game has to offer, and then move on to other games. Possibly eventually returning to level up another alt.

Whether or not you consider that a success I can't say.

But I easily see SWtOR becoming something I'll leave installed on my computer to level up an alt every now and then and see if there's any interesting people playing.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)

• korent1991korent1991 CakovecPosts: 1,390Member
    Not if they don't lower their sub price and lift few restrictions which they're planning to make live.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

• minime2minime2 cardiffPosts: 113Member
    No the game is just a pile of bantha poodoo it cant be saved .
  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member
    Originally posted by Paddyspub
    ...........assuming EAware handles F2P route with some smarts and common sense.

Handling F2P with smarts and common sense would mean EA would need to restate their position on F2P and re-evaluate why folks left in the first place.

Seeing as how the restrictions and cash shop are in some phase of testing now (appearing in their recent F2P promotional video), I'd say it's too late in the game to correct yet another blunder by EA.

With EA's ego all over this game, they may just continue taking losses in order to keep it up.  Their contract with George Lucas may keep this game up for awhile as well.  So it may not necessarily need saving (via comeback) in a non-financial sense.

With F2P though, EA won't need to report subscriber #'s to investors.  So there may only be 50k active players, but EA will report "100,000 new game accounts made this quarter!".  If F2P saved anyone or anything, it saved EA from a bit of an embassment (along with a hit to their dignity) next quarter - "We've still below 1 million subscriptions, but way above 150k!" Mmmhmm

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    with the current f2p structure they have set up, folks might try it but they are not going to stick around. Honestly they not fixed anything that chased most of their subscribers off.

and after 1.4 they destroy the class balance so much, i struggle myself and continue playing it till 1.4.

• SwaneaSwanea Vegas, NVPosts: 2,359Member Uncommon

I'm still having fun since I started resubbing, and I know of a few people who will play it...

But no, it will not.

Most people agree the story aspect is the BEST part of the game.  So while making that free seems like a great idea, people don't need to do the other things that just aren't as good.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,406Member Uncommon
    With the current matrix for subscribing vs f2p it will not succeed. Companies continue to make people not viable to do any content if they aren't paying. I understand the whole "They need money, and everything isn't going to be free" and that makes sense. But games like Team Fortress 2, Aion, and Lineage 2 have made all content free and just had a few things you have the option to pay for. Give the shop giant fluff sections, give it the ability to expand inventory slots bank slots character slots. Don't make it so characters cannot equip certain gear (which they already stated they were) don't make it so that people can only do 3 instances for credit a week unless they pay. Give them the option to do as much as they would like but offer bonuses in the cash shop. Exp gain potions, whatever the pvp currency is give that a gain potion as well. I mean it isn't paying to win it's paying to grow faster, if you keep out all of the crazy YOU HAVE TO PAY TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN STORY than it would succeed.