Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Rift: NYC Gamer's Day Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We stopped by the Trion Worlds NYC Gamer's Day Event to check out RIFT: Storm Legion. Find out what we learned in our latest preview!

The expansion itself is bursting at the seams with additions to the game. To start, Trion Worlds is set to triple the size of the game world with the addition of two new continents, Dusken and Brevane. The former is a corruption of the Plane of Death, whose landscapes are grim and dark. Dusken’s flora and fauna have also been subject to a sort of flesh-crafting. Encountering trees made of bone or creatures that look like they’ve been pieced together with different bits of flesh will be commonplace here.

Read more of Michael Bitton's RIFT: Storm Legion: Gamer's Day NYC Preview.

Comments

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    turns out to be the new eq2 :)

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

It saddens me that RIFT created such an Anti Social Atmosphere. Soloing to level cap because no one cared to group to do dungeons because they could just hold off untill level cap was the dumbest thing I have ever seen put into an MMO. Auto grouping For RIFT events lead to what i like to call Hit and Run groups where 90% of the time no one would say as much as hello or good bye.

The gameplay was fun. The classes were fun, The world was great looking. However the Anti social atmosphere ruined the game at least for me.

Im hoping GW2 will not suffer from this. As my main is only level 22 its to soon to tell. But kind of getting the same impression.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

It saddens me that RIFT created such an Anti Social Atmosphere. Soloing to level cap because no one cared to group to do dungeons because they could just hold off untill level cap was the dumbest thing I have ever seen put into an MMO. Auto grouping For RIFT events lead to what i like to call Hit and Run groups where 90% of the time no one would say as much as hello or good bye.

The gameplay was fun. The classes were fun, The world was great looking. However the Anti social atmosphere ruined the game at least for me.

Im hoping GW2 will not suffer from this. As my main is only level 22 its to soon to tell. But kind of getting the same impression.

It has from day one. There's no incentive to group in GW2.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

People run dungeons all the time.. I ran 3 dungeons today with my level 20ish Cleric. We also talked during the runs, even though they were dungeon finder groups. Some people had some quests they needed doing, they talked about it. Some people were new and didn't know the boss mechanics, so we told them. There was even one of those guys in one of the groups.. you know the one, the one who talks ALL the time during the fights so you know he isn't contributing as much as they could. Not that we cared, Rift's community seems to be more mature over all compared to most other MMOs (mostly).  All you prove by saying that is that 'you' don't talk when auto grouping is involved. Anyway, if you are forced to socialize, is that really being social? You had no other choice..

I'll also add that the game population is booming right now and is massively on the rise. Also, most people are releveling new characters because of the skill tree changes in the latest patch (so they can 're'learn their class). Changes that have been well received so far I should add. When the expansion hits.. there will be so much grouping and talking that you'll get fed up of it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

@Vannor: I'm the guy who always talks too much ;)

But seriously, the pace at which RIFT matured, and still is, is amazing. It started off as almost a WoW-esque game with a little more build customization options and dynamic content, but it has developed to set itself apart. The Instant Adventures (yes, instant gratification! Groups and adventures by pressing a button!) are awesome and a cool way to do stuff even when you don't have that much time. Join in and leave at will without holding back the people playing.

Conquest, an existing zone cleared of mobs and with 3 factions instead of 2, gives some cool pvp and there's more and more tactics forming (at least in my battlegroup).

All I can say I'm impressed and sticking around. Every other game I tried never got up to the bar placed by RIFT. Even the giant WoW can't come close to the pure amount of content and the quality of it that Trion has pushed out here. Not 3 updates in 2 years, but 3 in half a year :D

That being said, the only real downside I see is with the easy macroing of abilities you can make specs that use about 5-6 buttons. Of course not macroing these and proccing abilities manually at the right time takes more practice, but also gains you dps if done correctly. (At least for the Rogue specs I play)

I'd say go RIFT and go Trion Worlds for making an awesome game and really giving people what they want.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I dont understand this at all, Instant Adventure is constantly filled with people, im learning new people every day through it and Rift has more options for grouping than any other game I know of. Yes you can solo to max level, but you can in pretty much any themepark, but Rift provides you with every opportunity to group if you want to, ive just leveled a Rogue to 50 doing nothing but Instant Adventure and Dungeons, havent been soloing at all.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Was going to play, but.... Sold my pc and all of my friends pc's for them, we all got ps3's. I'm sorry but even the latest and greatest in the pc gaming world just isn't great. On the flip side I've been out of consoles gaming for a while, I am playing unchartered 3 I'm really impressed just saying
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Best themepark on the market right now. Kudos to trion for setting a new standard in mmo development.

Originally posted by Rockniss
    Was going to play, but.... Sold my pc and all of my friends pc's for them, we all got ps3's. I'm sorry but even the latest and greatest in the pc gaming world just isn't great. On the flip side I've been out of consoles gaming for a while, I am playing unchartered 3 I'm really impressed just saying

You'll be back to PCs soon enough, you wouldn't be browsing this site otherwise ;)

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Rockniss

Well.. considering how console gameing is stagnating atm I hope you won't regret your choice.  A couple years ago I bought a ps3 myself and I don't really regret it but there are few experiences that I can't get on the pc and those are mainly japanese or first party(such as uncharted and GoW) since they still have yet to get on the pc bandwagon.  With games like GW2, Torchlight 2, Rome total war 2, and so many others on the horizon that are pc exclusive while we get pretty much everything the consoles do.. and generally at a cheaper price and with more extras.. I find my console under the bed collecting dust more often than hooked up.  On the other hand things could change next gen but this one... pc has it beat big time.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by nepulas

Not yet!  As it's a shame they didn't took the opportunity to create some new starter zones and low level content as well. To increase longetivity and replayability.

Leveling alt's is still a total chore. Sadly.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Not yet!  As it's a shame they didn't took the opportunity to create some new starter zones and low level content as well. To increase longetivity and replayability.

Create alt, join instant adventure (which is a massive content addition for ALL levels).. get to the good stuff quicker. There's also many new types of rifts popping up nowadays with different events and mechanics, and even more variety in rifts when the expansion comes. I'm happy with that. Then there is Ember Isle and Chronicles. I'm glad they put resources into more endgame instead of content that becomes obsolete after 10 levels. Ember Isle and content like that can be enjoyed by everyone's mains and their alts. Whereas new starter areas would only be good for those who want to make alts and gives nothing to those that don't.

More Ember Isles/Chronicles VS new starter areas?

Well, I choose more ember isles anyday. Chronicles are always nice. New starter areas would be gathering dust after a month (If the trial players weren't in them, but they are.. so they arn't empty).

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

being forced to join emokid jackass groups and jackass guilds in order to progress 1% in other MMO's has done this...

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

It has from day one. There's no incentive to group in GW2.

agree

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by JeroKane

They're getting close though.  It shouldn't surprise anyone that this is the direction Hartsman is steering the ship.  I see it as a total EQ/EQ2 evolution borrowing design implementations from WoW.  He's basically taking the better design elements from both games and evolving them.

I really wish this game was B2P.  They're stuck in the past with the subscription model.  Trion is an awesome developer but they better watch out for SoE and Smed with EQNext.  If PS2 is any indication of their current potential they shouldn't be under-estimated.

i dont mind paying 15 a month for the service that some developers give... trion being chief among these but also CCP.

I feel like the game is evolving enough to warrant my subscription.

i understand your point though... a game is going to have to put out a lot of quality stuff to warrant a fee after gw2 comes out for no monthly fee.  but IMHO Rift does just that.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins