Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is John Smedley intentions?

cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142

Smedley just announced that Everquest Next will be sandbox.

It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you’ve never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn’t want more Kill 10 Rats quests. We didn’t want more of the same. If you look at the MMOs out there, they’re delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game.

Is he trying really hard to bankrupt SOE or whats going on in this head of his? Did he ever make anything decent? Any sane disission? Also, isnt he kinda late?

gaaaaaah im so mad right now and its just a game...

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    I thought his job was to kill MMO after they came out, that's hit job right..anyone know, what else does he do at SoE? I dunno.
  • william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by cyandk

It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you’ve never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn’t want more Kill 10 Rats quests. We didn’t want more of the same. If you look at the MMOs out there, they’re delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game.

Is he trying really hard to bankrupt SOE or whats going on in this head of his? Did he ever make anything decent? Any sane disission? Also, isnt he kinda late?

So play WoW.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by william0532

So play WoW.

that's going to be the default rebuttal on any critique of EQNext

"well, I don't like the spell eff..."

"GO PLAY WoW!"

"ok...."

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    It's rather suspicious, isn't it....anouncing a massive sandbox only recently after they closed one.....is he up to something?  Hmmm....I better keep my eye on him.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    His intention is to try and drum up interest.  And it's working.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

ahh it seems you do understand. Good job.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by rungard
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

ahh it seems you do understand. Good job.

and ultimately, make some money for SOE....... the usual stuff.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I've said it in another thread about EQNext, but the proof will be in the pudding.

I would love for a mainstream sandbox type game make a big impact, but his wording of "sandbox-style" does make me think that there's something more themeparky lurking beneath.

Mind you, the only SoE game I currently have installed in DCUO....it's the only SoE game I have played when I think about it. So...I am pretty open minded to anything as long as there's real info to back up claims.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

$oE and $medley wants your money, that's all they care about. Before you go burning your fingers again keep that thought in your head. They have no good intentions, forget about EQ, it will never be the same, $oE is rotten to the core.

"SOE is introducing a new currency, the Krono, which is a tradable game currency bought with real-life money."

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Waterlily

$oE and $medley wants your money, that's all they care about. Before you go burning your fingers again keep that thought in your head. They have no good intentions, forget about EQ, it will never be the same, $oE is rotten to the core.

"SOE is introducing a new currency, the Krono, which is a tradable game currency bought with real-life money."

What a surprise, someone trying to make the company look bad without giving the full detail of what it is.  Krono = PLEX from EvE, its just tradeable game time.  Nothing to get panties in a bunch over

so what is it you want? no purchase price, no subscription and no user fees? If they dont make money there is no game.

this is just a version of the playstation store that is extended to sony mmo's. I think its a great idea as long as they dont make it pay to win. GW2 has shown that you can have an effective cashshop that is not imbalancing. It seems $oe is learning lessons this year and hopefully theyll learn that one as well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

First and foremost cash shop is their main agenda.

The LARGEST could simply be in terms of land mass.I believe he intends to have massive housing plots that you buy/pay for extra on top of a subscription.I beleive he will also have varied costs,you want 800x800 it will cost you more than the 640x640 plot.They will have so much tied into housing that alone will cost you an arm and a leg to play the game.

This guy is imo insane,sure there has been proof that yo ucan always garner a decent number of wasteful spenders,but your game will never be considered a great AAA game with 100k foolish spenders.

I have been around the Everquest series for years and i have NEVER seen anything creative,just the same old and over time dumb down and/or made even more simple.

It is becuase of their lack of creativity that we will see nothing new just new ways to cash in on cash shops.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

so what is it you want? no purchase price, no subscription and no user fees? If they dont make money there is no game.

What people asked for is simply what they always had, EQ was a simple P2P game that $oE turned into a money laundering bastard child by forcing cash shops, freemium, tons of cash shop currencies, and power items onto people.

[mod edit]

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

in the end what he says and what they actually do will probably be 2 different things.

untill there is real proof he is blowing hot air.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

I think he's taking notes from one of the few subscription MMOs in the industry that's currently and has been growing.

Which, it seems, he even plays himself.

http://themittani.com/features/mittani-interviews-soe-ceo-john-smedley

Can't say I trust Smedley to make a good game for it's own sake. But I definitely do trust him to look at EvE Online's subscriber base and say "Damn... I want me some of that pie."

Even if it's niche there's still plenty of EvE Online players and with it being far from unusual to have two accounts, or even more, it shows a lot of willingness to spend money on their sandbox. Money SOE no doubt would rather see go to them than anyone else.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

What people asked for is simply what they always had, EQ was a simple P2P game that $oE turned into a money laundering bastard child by forcing cash shops, freemium, tons of cash shop currencies, and power items onto people.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Its not like EQ and EQ2 had robust populations when they made these changes.

The bulk of MMO costs are fixed.  Subscription model works great at high sub numbers.  AT lower sub numbers they dont work nearly as well.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

What is John Smedley intentions?

Who knows? Not even Smed himself I would wager... if he does, his intentions of today will not be his intentions of 6 months time.

The man is a habitual spinner and BSer to be honest. Right now I suspect he is just throwing around fashionable buzzwords because he knows that's what people want to hear.

Personally, as much as I would love to see the EQ franchise with a healthy future, I am since the failure to show anything when promised thinking this game will go the same way as The Agency.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by gobla

Can't say I trust Smedley to make a good game for it's own sake. But I definitely do trust him to look at EvE Online's subscriber base and say "Damn... I want me some of that pie."

That's... not a very big pie. image

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

No.

The real answer is that Smedley plays EVE, and from his perspective, most copycat themeparks launch, sell a bunch of boxes, and then 'fail' (everyone quits in 1-2 months).

He looks at EVE and thinks if he could make another game like that, or like SWG, where you have 100-300K subs maintainable, that's better than a game that goes to complete fail mode like SWTOR or many of the others.

People like Smedley are simply giving up on their dream that they will make the next wow that will maintain millions of subs for years.

A sandbox will never be as widely popular as simplistic themeparks.

Originally posted by Baseline

No.

The real answer is that Smedley plays EVE, and from his perspective, most copycat themeparks launch, sell a bunch of boxes, and then 'fail' (everyone quits in 1-2 months).

He looks at EVE and thinks if he could make another game like that, or like SWG, where you have 100-300K subs maintainable, that's better than a game that goes to complete fail mode like SWTOR or many of the others.

People like Smedley are simply giving up on their dream that they will make the next wow that will maintain millions of subs for years.

A sandbox will never be as widely popular as simplistic themeparks.

Thats a guess at best and a bad one.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by gobla

That's... not a very big pie. image

It's more than 400.000 subscribers.

It's definitely in the top 10 of MMOs and probably even in the top 5.

Beyond that EVE is about the only subscription-based MMO that's actually growing. Can't say that about many others.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Give the man a break, it seems like Smedley is listening & learning and is trying to returning SOE back to its grass roots wanting to make a decent original MMO instead of wasting time copying & pasting "the next WoW killer" and on top of that its going to be a sandboxing extravaganza, we should be giving the guy some kudo's for going againist the grain and trying to deliver something fresh and next-gen image
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

You mean doing the same thing that has sunk a few titles this year was the sane thing to do?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Smed is in the industry a VERY long time, given how fast people come and go in the MMO business. And many others who were thus attacked left the buisness, see the Bioware-Docs. So I must assume Smed really loves what he is doing, making MMOs, and he tries to make MMOs he likes to play, since as far as we know he is one of those guys who play their own MMOs. Unlike, again, many of the Bioware dudes, who actually never played MMOs. And of course making money. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

John Smedley's intentions are to crush his enemies, see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentation of their women.