Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey
    I will keep a healthy level of dubious, but also a healthy level of hope.  Oh how I want a really good sandbox.

Thats a good idea.  Old scouts motto, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."  It works for most things :)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by rungard
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Velocinox

I knew it. This announcement deserves the creation of a dedicated forum. All SWG/sandbox players rejoice.

Hopefully a AAA home is on the way.

Rejoicement over a noncommital ambiguous marketing statement?

Don't blame the industry for hype, just look in the mirror.

lol wheres the hype. The game definitely exists, and it is a sorely needed AAA sandbox.

why wouldnt swg/sandbox players be happy about it?

The hype is coming from you.  "Rejoice"

Why wouldn't they be happy about it?  The game definately exists?

A game exists in some state right now.  There is no one here that can state what level of playability it is, or what kind of game it is.

Smedley has been caught in lies before.  Soe' record is not very pretty.

There are a lot of reasons to doubt whether this game will be a sandbox, and whether it will be any good.

I would say thats enough reason to doubt, or at least get off the hype train that you are promoting.

At best all we should be saying is, "Thats interesting, lets wait for more information and feedback from people other than Soe."

He never lied to me and i played the game for 2 years. How you got a hype train from one word....are you a politician? Players like me have been waiting for this for a very long time.

Which game was that. 

He stated EQ2 would not have a CS, then there was a CS on on server.  He stated that it would only be on that server, than it was all servers.  There were lies about SWG.

Just because he didn't lie to you doesn't mean he didn't lie.  He has, it's documented.

You stated all sandbox fans should rejoice.  That is an expression of great joy, of delight,, this isn't opinion thats the definition of the word.  You posted this on a forum, thats promotion, the words you used are extavagant, you are trying to stimulate excitement, again the word is rejoice.  This the very definition of the word hype.  You are hyping the game.  Again it's documented.

i wasnt before, but i am now. See my picture.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Cautiously optimistic. Way too early to judge and or tell but interested none-the-less.

Agree ArcheAge could potentially be competition (depending how it plays -- but I liked what I have seen so far).  If SOE can capture the exploration and open-ended feeling of EQ with updated systems they could have a winner.

I am concerned though that they may cater some characteristics to the new style of gamers (thus not remaining true to their roots), which is my opinion has been missing from the genre from the start.

Time will tell.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Nethermancer
    Originally posted by phantomghost
    Originally posted by Nethermancer

This is Smedley talking......

So I will chalk this one up to "we will wait and see"

I have played MMO's for over a decade now and 1 thing has stayed constant ....SOE ALWAYS lets me down. 

Matrix online? let down

SWG? let down

EQ? let down

EQ2? let down

Vangaurd? huge let down

DCOU? let down

Seems you have ridiculous expectations because EQ and SWG are and were amongst the best MMO's ever made.  It is a shame a game as terrible as SWTOR forced them to shut SWG down.

Being let down doesnt mean i didnt like the games (i loved both EQ and SWG). The point is SOE ruined EQ and ruined SWG in the end. Wasnt clear in my post sorry. The point is SOE ruins everything by the end.

Let me make it more clear

Matric online - terrible game

SWG - we all know it was ruined

EQ - WoW'd it up

EQ2 - bad game

Vangaurd - should have let it die instead of rot.

DCOU - boring shallow garbage

On top of all these let downs ther F2P model is TERRIBLE.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for...  But I still play and love EQ.  There are WoW mechanics but you dont have to use them.  I see them as there to help new users get accustomed to the gameplay complexity.  As an option I dont see how that hurts what makes EQ fun in the first place.  But thats just me ;-)

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Dude its SoE.. how many games have they fubared now? I can't even count them anymore. I'd honestly not expect this to be any good, and if its open world pvp (insted of pvp restricted to one zone with goals ala dark age of camelot) it'll have hardly any players. I am not a fan of open world pvp games not because I dislike pvp, but more because of the worthless jackasses that sit around newbie towns ganking new players that have 0 chance to defend themselves, pretty much every open world pvp mmo is full of theese greifers and thats about all there is. Its even worse if they allow any kind of looting of a pvp kills stuff, because that gives these griefers even more of a reason to do it. If they are smart and they want the game to be successful, they will keep all the pvp to one zone, have it be faction vs faction, and have some land control aspect to it or some goal for the pvp. Like realm skill points in daoc. There are evil and good races so there are your factions right there. Just gotta make sure both sides have pretty races, and like in Eq2, allow people to change sides if they want so you could have a normally evil race that switches side to good. Usually the evil side gets stuck with all the ones that hit every branch of the ugly tree, while the good side, gets all the nice looking races, this alone causes population imbalances more than you think it would. People want a nice looking char, not to be some mutated shitty looking orc or something. DAoC was unique in this aspect that each race, had some decent looking races, some race that looks like a mutant, and a short race. Honestly if the people who made daoc made a new mmo, and they weren't being pressured by EA to rush it, it would probally be the best mmo on the market, because still today, no mmo's pvp is as good as daoc's was/is.

If EQ Next has the fae, and their evil version (that the name of them escapes me atm) I'll deff play one of those, it was fun in Eq being a fairy that was smaller than peoples knee's XD. Especally in pvp, I snuck up on so many people because of my small size, it helps when/if there is a pvp zone where the grass is taller than you XD.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How can it be bigger than eve world size wise?
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    yeah yeah a sandbox with a cash shop,i don't think that anybody needs that.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Sounds wonderful.

But we've been here before, with SOE promising something huge and amazing "never seen before". 

Who remembers this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU3tuFGzbbw

They were doing things "unprecedented" and "unseen" in MMORPGs with EQ2 as well.

That is, until Blizzard released WoW on the on the world. Then, within a month, Smed and co. forgot all that "unprecedented" and "unseen" stuff and start playing "we have that too!", riding WoW's coat-tails. Everquest 2 ever since then has been the most schizophrenic MMORPG I've ever played. I've never seen a developer change their focus on a MMO as many times as I have with EQ2.

Smed says all this now. But as soon as something else comes along that looks like more $$$, he'll forget all of what he's saying now in a blink, happily leaving behind all those who came along for what was originally promised. He's done that before, too.

It wouldn't be the first time he's "given his word" and then gone back on it. In fact, if you go back over the past 6-7 years, he's made something of a career out of it.

So, while I love the sound of a huge sandbox-like MMO experience taking place in the EQ universe, and I'd love to believe that it's true -  I would give them my money right now if I could see into the future to find it's all what Smed is hinting at - I just can't believe anything Smedley says.

If Smed and co prove to have the integrity to keep their word and not change their focus the moment they see more $$$ potential in a different approach and without turning the game into a Cash Shop-centric nickel-and-dime fest, I will happily say "I was wrong", while pulling out my credit card to reserve my copy.

'course, we also have to wonder what Smed/SOE's definition of "sandbox" is.

Smed and SOE have a really poort reputation in the MMO genre, and with good reason. They have a tough uphill climb ahead of them if they intend to win back the trust and confidence of people who experienced "The Smed Treatment" in the past. There are many, spread across a number of games SOE has had its hands on.

Originally posted by Waterlily
    (mod edited)

the fact that you can still play vanguard to this day tells me that much of the hype might actually be his "evil" status. What kind of evil bastard would bail out his former partners sinking ship? hmm. Im not saying there there werent problems and bad decisions  in the last 14 years, but im not buying the satan argument. Its a business, nothing more.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
     NOpe.

No no no no no. No. Nope.

Man, even the fanboys never tried to claim that one.

Yes, I am afraid they did.

After yesterday's version of poison-the-well. I am now requiring direct quotes, or it didn't happen.  Pix or it didn't happen.  Whatever.  We'll await the citation of reference.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/4322370#4322370

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/post/4322758#4322758

www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1193512-Why-hasnt-there-been-a-Sandbox-MMO-since-Ultima-Online?p=18373108&viewfull=1#

2 minutes on google gave me these, if I could be bothered I am sure i could find many more

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Zadawn

That's the major worry with a sandbox, I am uncomfortable enough with EvE's plex system for paying for others gametime in return for their  in game credits which seems to be the best of a bad job.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Thorqemada Skyrim and GTA be giant games that imho do not compare with a mmo that grows over time but also generates income over time.
    Do you be a pirate?

At Mardi Gras....

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

I lost my faith in SOE and in particular Smedley years ago, just look how they messed up Everquest by one bad decision after another. Still Everquest (99-04) was for me the best game ever made without comparison, so you can't deny it is still possible SOE can make something happen. I want to see it before I beleive it, and that goes for all gaming devs but SOE in particular.

I hear Brad McQuaid is back with SOE, but supposedly? on the Vanguard project.. If he has/had a key role in EQNext I would have much more faith. There is a person with visionary ideas - "Father" (and killer lol) of Vanguard, and also played a major role in the original (the golden years) Everquest.. hail, Brad McQuaid.

That's the major worry with a sandbox, I am uncomfortable enough with EvE's plex system for paying for others gametime in return for their  in game credits which seems to be the best of a bad job.

certainly any cashshop can go bad, but if you look at GW2 model i think there is alot of hope and alot people can learn from that implementation. That being said you have to wait and see how it will turn out. Im certain they already know that a pay2win cashshop will not win over the fans so i believe they wont take the chance with EQN and well get a GW2 style cashshop and a box/expansion purchase. I could be wrong though, and if i am i simply wont support the game. Your certainly entitled to skepticicm but that fact that there is a cashshop is not a sign of the apocolypse.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I'm curious, I thought Archeage was going to be the new AAA sandbox home?

This isn't highlander mate, there can be more than one.

Well, considering many of the responses about this announcement, they act as if this is the only AAA sandbox even coming down the pike.  That's why I question sandboxers who always act like they are never represented in the genre.

There's Archeage as well as the new and improving Darkfall and the potential of Citadel of Sorcery and now EverQuest Next, all of which are claiming to be sandbox games.

So, three unreleased games and one Indy effort of which the previous version was filled will bugs and cheats (hopefully the new version will be better). I guess we should be grateful.

Well, hate to break it to ya, but you are a niche within the genre, no matter how much your group believes otherwise.

It's a developer imposed niche, not a player chosen one. 

Bad games and a game that's literally a niche within a niche (EVE) is not representative of what "players want".  It's everything to do with following the trend of success set by someone else. 

It is NORMAL business practice to try and capitalize on the success of someone else.  Developers have been chasing Blizzard sinse '04, and it has NOTHING to do with sandboxers being a niche within the genre, and EVERYTHING to do with business as usual. 

Two PC games were responcible for half of all PC sales in a single month, Skyrim and MW3.  Sandbox RPG's are hugely popular, and people that play MMO's are more than likely also playing single player RPGs. 

When the king of the hill is Nsync, than you what you get is a music industry that is all about boy bands, when it's Eminem, it's a music industry with a focus on hip hop, when it's Fallout Boy it's a music industry focues on studio rock bands. 

When the kind of the hill is a themepark, than every other developer will do what the king did, make a themepark.  If WoW had been a sandbox EVERY mmy made sinse '04 would also have been a sandbox and we'd be having a completely different conversation today. 

Well, considering the MMO genre started with a sandbox in the form of Ultima Online, I'd say you don't have much of a footing to stand on.  Sandboxes just aren't nearly as popular, period and developers that are more interested in the bottom line are going to go where the real money is.  Some companies may be willing to settle for niche, especially if they already have other games in their portfolio to cover the casuals and console gamers and other groups of gamers.  The original point though is that there have been and there are upcoming sandbox games that more than represent your niche, but many act as if they aren't being represented at all or represented enough and I say you have been and are going to be more than enough.

Originally posted by Uhwop
    I'm curious, I thought Archeage was going to be the new AAA sandbox home?

This isn't highlander mate, there can be more than one.

Well, considering many of the responses about this announcement, they act as if this is the only AAA sandbox even coming down the pike.  That's why I question sandboxers who always act like they are never represented in the genre.

There's Archeage as well as the new and improving Darkfall and the potential of Citadel of Sorcery and now EverQuest Next, all of which are claiming to be sandbox games.

So, three unreleased games and one Indy effort of which the previous version was filled will bugs and cheats (hopefully the new version will be better). I guess we should be grateful.

Well, hate to break it to ya, but you are a niche within the genre, no matter how much your group believes otherwise.

It's a developer imposed niche, not a player chosen one. 

Bad games and a game that's literally a niche within a niche (EVE) is not representative of what "players want".  It's everything to do with following the trend of success set by someone else. 

It is NORMAL business practice to try and capitalize on the success of someone else.  Developers have been chasing Blizzard sinse '04, and it has NOTHING to do with sandboxers being a niche within the genre, and EVERYTHING to do with business as usual. 

Two PC games were responcible for half of all PC sales in a single month, Skyrim and MW3.  Sandbox RPG's are hugely popular, and people that play MMO's are more than likely also playing single player RPGs. 

When the king of the hill is Nsync, than you what you get is a music industry that is all about boy bands, when it's Eminem, it's a music industry with a focus on hip hop, when it's Fallout Boy it's a music industry focues on studio rock bands. 

When the kind of the hill is a themepark, than every other developer will do what the king did, make a themepark.  If WoW had been a sandbox EVERY mmy made sinse '04 would also have been a sandbox and we'd be having a completely different conversation today. 

Well, considering the MMO genre started with a sandbox in the form of Ultima Online, I'd say you don't have much of a footing to stand on.  Sandboxes just aren't nearly as popular, period and developers that are more interested in the bottom line are going to go where the real money is.  Some companies may be willing to settle for niche, especially if they already have other games in their portfolio to cover the casuals and console gamers and other groups of gamers.  The original point though is that there have been and there are upcoming sandbox games that more than represent your niche, but many act as if they aren't being represented at all or represented enough and I say you have been and are going to be more than enough.

well in a couple of years it appears that you wont have to guess anymore.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

They had the funds to develop Planetside 2's engine from scratch (and it is an AMAZING engine).

Looking at the Planetside 2 footage and lighting and animations, it's a a decent engine I think, I just think "amazing" is a bit too far. It's no cryengine.

PS2 is a TRUE MMOFPS... There's a lot more stuff going on than your typical MMORPG. You simply cannot judge the EQN based on a different type of game using the same engine. Looking back at PS1 it took a beast of a machine to run perfectly when it came out and it's graphics weren't that amazing, but ti's not the graphics they needed all that power, it was everything going on in the game.

Look at Aion, it uses the cryengine yet it still doesn't look like Crysis... when the game is on a bigger scale, things are scaled back. I guess what I'm trying to say is, Forgelight (SOE's new engine) is just an engine... What they do graphically in EQN doesn't completely depend on it and I'm sure it will look great. Just wait and see how beautiful the game will be with realtime weather effects that don't look like crap and amazing night and day cycles. Like I said... it's just an engine... graphics are a different issue.

i get the feeling that EQN will somehow have vehicles.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    (mod edit)

the fact that you can still play vanguard to this day tells me that much of the hype might actually be his "evil" status. What kind of evil bastard would bail out his former partners sinking ship? hmm. Im not saying there there werent problems and bad decisions  in the last 14 years, but im not buying the satan argument. Its a business, nothing more.

I take it that you were not a Vanguard player from day 1.  If you were you would know that Vanguard was bought not to do a former partner a favor and bail him out, but it was done to PREVENT Vanguard from taking even more players from EQ2.  It was a business decision, but it wasn't done out of the goodness of their corporate hearts.  It was done to prevent VG from become a problem for them, period.  It's only still open because they can still make some profit from it and that's it.

Originally posted by Latronus
    (mod edit)

I take it that you were not a Vanguard player from day 1.  If you were you would know that Vanguard was bought not to do a former partner a favor and bail him out, but it was done to PREVENT Vanguard from taking even more players from EQ2.  It was a business decision, but it wasn't done out of the goodness of their corporate hearts.  It was done to prevent VG from become a problem for them, period.  It's only still open because they can still make some profit from it and that's it.

honestly i have a hard time believing that. it doesnt even make sense.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

i get the feeling that EQN will somehow have vehicles.

Can you imagine the different types of mounts EQ2 has with the physics we've seen from PS2?

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I hope EQ Next is indeed revolutionary and not evolutionary. MMO's have become incredibly stale to me.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Fearum
    So when this one fails, what excuse will sandbox fans blame it on? 

They have an air tight alibi.

SOE.

/wink

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Fearum
    So when this one fails, what excuse will sandbox fans blame it on? 

They have an air tight alibi.

SOE.

/wink

Damn, people can't even wait for real information about a game comes out before they trash it. It's not always a proven disappointment like when their girlfriends see them naked for the first time. Even some developers manage to get a good game out on occasion.

The truth is that SOE wants to attract their core EQ audience back. Those intruduced to mmo's since Wow who can't handle exploration without hand holding can simply play the game they want since there are plenty of choices out there. The greatest threat to the game will be how their payment model is implemented anyway especially in a sandbox-style mmo.

You stay sassy!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Kinda why I won't even try.  Not gonna compromise myself on yet anohter things for my entertaiment.

This discussion has been closed.