Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Storm Legion NDA Drops, Beta 2 Begins

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Trion Worlds has announced that the second beta event for the upcoming RIFT expansion, Storm Legion, is now underway and will run through the weekend. Additionally, Trion has lifted the NDA on Storm Legion, so feel free to discuss the expansion to your heart's content!

Trion will also be hosting a new livestream event later today at 5:30PM EDT. The event will focus on Storm Legion's 'Dimensions' housing system. Be sure to check it out over at Twitch.TV!

Comments

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I had applied a beta code for Storm Legion that I aquired through this site last week.  But I haven't recieved any word or see any links to download the beta client.

How the heck do I get to beta test this? Or was the code a placebo?

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Nevermind. I used this magical device called Google... and I found the client download.

Man, the future is crazy

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    After playing some of the more recent MMOs, I had a very hard time enjoying the combat mechanics in Rift again, after being away from it for quite a while.

Joined - July 2004

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I agree 100% with you rem ,
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

I had applied a beta code for Storm Legion that I aquired through this site last week.  But I haven't recieved any word or see any links to download the beta client.

How the heck do I get to beta test this? Or was the code a placebo?

No need to play SL if you don't have a lvl 50 char. They 2 new continents are only available when you're 50. I just came from beta server (lvl 20 char) and that's what other players told me. Not even the maps are shown when you're below 50 :(

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

All I can honestly sday is "meh" same crap in just a new area that your already doing, MMORP expansions need to start offering more than just the same shit in a new area, have some actually unique stuff for once, should take notes from stuff like the oblivion expansions/dlc and the skyrim dlc that add entirely new features that change the game up.

I also agree with rem, mmo's have been going down the shitter fast since wow came out, I haven't seen 1 mmo in years that actually offered some diffrent gameplay, that wasn't f2p. Swtor, TSw same shti diffrent wrapper all over again, same for guild wars 2, its still the same boring quest grind/hub bullshit with the same boring mechanics copied from wow. These mmodevs wonder why their sub numbers drop like a rock thrown in the ocean after the first month or 2 of subbing, its because none of them ever offer anything worth sticking around for. I played rift and quit early because it just felt like yet another wow clone to me, with very little to set it apart gameplay wise. Add in the fact you can hit cap in most sub mmo's in 2-4 days means people blow thru the content, Hell over half of a new mmo's pop quits before the free month is even over because of how fast you hit cap, and then the lack of stuff to do once there. They need to start designing mmo's so it takes 1.5-2 weeks even for a hardcore player to hti cap, and 1.5-2 months for a casual. FF11 was like this and still sort of is if you don't abuse abbysea, and its still doing fine.. Then again FF11 is like the only unique mmorpg thats pay2play on the market right now. Its the only one that hasn't caved into being turned into a generic wow clone.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by Siveria

All I can honestly sday is "meh" same crap in just a new area that your already doing, MMORP expansions need to start offering more than just the same shit in a new area, have some actually unique stuff for once, should take notes from stuff like the oblivion expansions/dlc and the skyrim dlc that add entirely new features that change the game up.

I also agree with rem, mmo's have been going down the shitter fast since wow came out, I haven't seen 1 mmo in years that actually offered some diffrent gameplay, that wasn't f2p. Swtor, TSw same shti diffrent wrapper all over again, same for guild wars 2, its still the same boring quest grind/hub bullshit with the same boring mechanics copied from wow. These mmodevs wonder why their sub numbers drop like a rock thrown in the ocean after the first month or 2 of subbing, its because none of them ever offer anything worth sticking around for. I played rift and quit early because it just felt like yet another wow clone to me, with very little to set it apart gameplay wise. Add in the fact you can hit cap in most sub mmo's in 2-4 days means people blow thru the content, Hell over half of a new mmo's pop quits before the free month is even over because of how fast you hit cap, and then the lack of stuff to do once there. They need to start designing mmo's so it takes 1.5-2 weeks even for a hardcore player to hti cap, and 1.5-2 months for a casual. FF11 was like this and still sort of is if you don't abuse abbysea, and its still doing fine.. Then again FF11 is like the only unique mmorpg thats pay2play on the market right now. Its the only one that hasn't caved into being turned into a generic wow clone.

2-4 days? I am impressed. I'm creeping up on 100 hours on my main in Rift and still just hitting level 40. Over a few months' play. But then, I need to eat, sleep and obey the laws of spacetime so yeah, 2-4 days was never an option for me.

This is the first time I've seen anyone compare FFXI favorably as a positive direction for MMOs. What did you think of FFXIV, if you tried it? Just curious.

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977
    Originally posted by Tyrranosaur

2-4 days? I am impressed. I'm creeping up on 100 hours on my main in Rift and still just hitting level 40. Over a few months' play. But then, I need to eat, sleep and obey the laws of spacetime so yeah, 2-4 days was never an option for me.

Started playing RIFT at headstart. Had not played beta events. First character was a Human Rogue. Went 1-50 in 4 days (not played). After playing around with the experts and whatnot, I created a Kelari Cleric. 1-50 in 3 days (not played). 

Stepped away from the game. Came back.

Created Dwarf Cleric. Went 1-50 in 4 days (not played). Got fully geared and HK ready in a week and a half, and had cleared 7 bosses with a decent guild three weeks into the character.

I have two jobs, wife, and kids. Hell, I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since launch and am only just now 70 on my Engineer, and I've played just as much. Maybe an hour or two early in the day, sometime 3-4 at night.

RIFT's leveling progression is extremely easy. And my experiences in leveling were BEFORE they added Instant Adventures to the lower levels. I imagine now you can probably do it quite a bit quicker.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Pretty sure it would take you no more than 25-30 hours to level via IA from 10-50 but man would it be boring

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Originally posted by Synthetick

Started playing RIFT at headstart. Had not played beta events. First character was a Human Rogue. Went 1-50 in 4 days (not played). After playing around with the experts and whatnot, I created a Kelari Cleric. 1-50 in 3 days (not played). 

Created Dwarf Cleric. Went 1-50 in 4 days (not played). Got fully geared and HK ready in a week and a half, and had cleared 7 bosses with a decent guild three weeks into the character.

I have two jobs, wife, and kids. Hell, I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since launch and am only just now 70 on my Engineer, and I've played just as much. Maybe an hour or two early in the day, sometime 3-4 at night.

RIFT's leveling progression is extremely easy. And my experiences in leveling were BEFORE they added Instant Adventures to the lower levels. I imagine now you can probably do it quite a bit quicker.

something tells me you don't do anything else in the game then just level, do you even try to get all the achievements? level up a tradeskill to max level? do almost everything in then game? mmo's are suppose to be fun, even in max level.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by darkedone02

something tells me you don't do anything else in the game then just level, do you even try to get all the achievements? level up a tradeskill to max level? do almost everything in then game? mmo's are suppose to be fun, even in max level.

i totally agree with you 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by remyburke
    After playing some of the more recent MMOs, I had a very hard time enjoying the combat mechanics in Rift again, after being away from it for quite a while.

Really? Honestly the only game I felt that way with was Tera. GW2 bluntly I feel far less active in then in Rift in terms of using abilities and the likes. Only other thing I see are more lobby based games which can be amazing though they still lack on the ability to stand as an MMO. Only Tera really has been able to do it and it still has some way to go.

Dunno, just really haven't felt anything that makes combat feel much more 'amazing!' then Tera, and even though I still can come to Rift and be satisfied. Until more of that 'single player' combat is able to slide into MMos, I don't really think any games like Rift will really get dule in combat without a lot of bedazzle to pull me away.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

You can still check out and visit other peoples dimensions without a level 50.. instantly. It's in the menus, the social button I think.

Here's one I was checking out (click it):

People are making games out of them as well.. like putting jumping puzzles in their dimensions or treasure hunt type games (obviously you don't find any actual treasure.. more like hide and seek with some scarecrows and stuff.. can you find them all? etc. etc.)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Vannor

You can still check out and visit other peoples dimensions without a level 50.. instantly. It's in the menus, the social button I think.

Here's one I was checking out (click it):

People are making games out of them as well.. like putting jumping puzzles in their dimensions or treasure hunt type games (obviously you don't find any actual treasure.. more like hide and seek with some scarecrows and stuff.. can you find them all? etc. etc.)

Not only visit, you can have your own dimension as soon as you visit meridian. 

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

You're addressing me the same way you would address someone who said, "RIFT has no content, I'm bored!"

I absolutely love RIFT. With that said, every one of my characters had trade skills at max level. They were raised during the leveling process. I was able to craft my 50 epics as soon as I dinged, without buying materials, because I don't just level treadmill.

You are forgetting that with RIFT, you can level from doing just about any activity. Not to the extreme of Guild Wars 2. But all of my characters have complete PVP gear, I forget the tier now, my main cleric had all BIS with PVP. Granted the PVP gear wasn't achieved within 3 weeks, but it didn't take over 2 months, either.

I leveled all my characters before fishing and survival was added, as well. But my cleric and rogue both hit max in both professions within three weeks of the professions launching.

Do I have all the achievements? No. But I have every dungeon achievement on my Dwarf cleric, as well as 85% of the expert and current raid achievements (up to HK).

There's still plenty of content for me to play. But I wans't complaining about content. I was only addressing the time it took to level from 1-50. Because that's what I quoted in my post. 

You can effectively level a fresh character 1-50 and have them HK ready within two weeks. If not, you're doing it wrong. And that's not skipping content. That's just leveling from hub to hub, running Instant Adventures when they feel right, PVPing, crafting, running RIFTS, everything.

Have I completed all the achievements and accolades? No. And I'm glad. It gives me reason to resubscribe. I play the RIFT exactly how I play Guild Wars 2. I don't grind, I do what sounds fun to me at that time. I hit up most of the systems of the game during the leveling process. RIFT is just extremely streamlined, like most other titles.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by lotaparty

i totally agree with you 

And yet he said that he was only level 70 in Guild Wars 2 after 2 months of similar play time to Rift, yet everyone talks about how easy it is to level in GW2.

I had the same experience, was level 50 within 4 days, got bored of the game in a week. The crafting is boring, the achievements arent fun. Why would you bother to pad out the experience? GW2 in contrast gives XP for everything you do, yet still takes a lot longer to reach cap in.

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by lotaparty

i totally agree with you 

And yet he said that he was only level 70 in Guild Wars 2 after 2 months of similar play time to Rift, yet everyone talks about how easy it is to level in GW2.

I had the same experience, was level 50 within 4 days, got bored of the game in a week. The crafting is boring, the achievements arent fun. Why would you bother to pad out the experience? GW2 in contrast gives XP for everything you do, yet still takes a lot longer to reach cap in.

WOW, sometimes I wonder if I play same mmo as other players. I just like to go slow on my first char and do every quest and get every possible achiv. in a zone.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    or, they are confident the soul and the expansion can stand on its own 2 feet and doesnt need any covering from trion, or the cleric dev just didnt have time yet. But conspiracy theories are so much more fun as the reality ey.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by mikury
    NDA drops before new Cleric soul is even officially revealed. Something is not right. :/

The new cleric soul isn't in the current version of beta, if that's what you mean.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by mikury
    NDA drops before new Cleric soul is even officially revealed. Something is not right. :/

The new cleric soul isn't in the current version of beta, if that's what you mean.

Yes it is..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This is the first time I've seen anyone compare FFXI favorably as a positive direction for MMOs. What did you think of FFXIV, if you tried it? Just curious.

No one hits cap in 2-4 days in a sub MMO, not even the 24-7 accounts played by multiple players.  He was just talking through his hat.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

To go from 1-50 in three days you would have to play the game pretty intensivly over that time . But I agree leveling is too fast in mmo . Including Guild Wars 2 . In about 1 and half hours play I got up about 2 levels in gw2 easily . in Rift on average it takes around 1 and half hours per to 2 hours per level . In WoW  you can got up a level with one run of a dungeon below level 70 . Lotro it ll take you about 5 hours or more to go up a level ( about the same as WoW Vanillas leveling ) .

• cable101cable101 Member Posts: 6
    agreed
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

No one hits cap in 2-4 days in a sub MMO, not even the 24-7 accounts played by multiple players.  He was just talking through his hat.

Rift definitely had lvl 50s 2 days into its head start at launch.  SWTOR as well, I think.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

they added player housing.....how is that same old?